Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Article from the dmn about Austin:

Quote:
Miles Austin doesn't get much attention these days -- from fans, media or opposing defenses. He works in the shadows of $9 million receivers T.O. and Roy Williams.

Austin, however, was the Cowboys' best receiver against the Redskins. He had two catches for 26 yards, both of which extended drives on third down. He had another third-down catch, a 16-yard gain, negated by penalty.

T.O. (five catches, 38 yards) and Williams (three catches, 36 yards) didn't make major impacts in Tony Romo's return, although both receivers had catches on the TD drive before halftime. But the presence of the big-money receivers and TE Jason Witten essentially assures that the Cowboys' third receiver will see a lot of single coverage against reserve cornerbacks.

Wade Phillips wouldn't say that Austin has surpassed Patrick Crayton on the depth chart. But Phillips acknowledged that Austin, who has better size and speed than Crayton, would continue to get reps as the third WR.

"We've got to get a package for all the guys," Phillips said. "It's like Christmas. We've got a lot of packages."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugh, soon as you start to get excited for a guy, now Austin is out 2 weeks maybe longer :(

Quote:
IRVING — Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Miles Austin could be out two weeks and maybe longer after suffering a knee injury in Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins, a source said Tuesday.

Austin caught two passes for 26 yards and was a crucial contributor down the stretch, when he seemingly supplanted Patrick Crayton as the team's third receiver.

Crayton went from No. 2 to No. 3 earlier in the week when the Cowboys inserted newcomer Roy Williams into the starting lineup. The decision to use Austin in the three-receiver set along with Williams and Terrell Owens was a package to get the team's three fastest receivers on the field rather than another demotion for Crayton, coach Wade Phillips has said.

Phillips said the Cowboys like Crayton's ability to play in the slot and that he will continue to be a big part of the offense.

Phillips said everybody will get their chances.

"We've got to get a package for all the guys," Phillips said. "It's like Christmas. We've got a lot of packages."

At least one package is on hold with Austin out with a knee injury.

Owens caught five passes for 38 yards against the Redskins. Williams caught three for 36 yards and Crayton was catchless for the second time this season.
http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1046476.html

I want to keep him, but it's never a good sign when you really can't stay healthy as the 3rd WR, nobody wants to invest money in a guy who can't play...Sucks though.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2008, 08:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure we'll still retain him but, it's something to keep an eye on. That does suck...I wonder who will return kicks. Most likely Stanback as we probably wont put Felix back there upon return. Scandrick's value is higher than it used to be so, he probably wont be back there either (not as the primary atleast)...plus he is a horrid return man. Just hold onto the football Stanback...no one is expecting much, our blocking has not been coming together lately on returns...so just take your licks and dont fumble. ha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 11-18-2008 at 08:39 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Ugh, soon as you start to get excited for a guy, now Austin is out 2 weeks maybe longer :(

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/1046476.html

I want to keep him, but it's never a good sign when you really can't stay healthy as the 3rd WR, nobody wants to invest money in a guy who can't play...Sucks though.
Ehh... At least he'll be back for Pittsburgh. These kind of injuries don't bother me as much as reoccurring hamstring or groin tweaks.

As far as I know he doesn't have an injury history. Chalk it up as bad luck this year.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

The no use of the potential Stanback wild cat formation is maddening. I mean, if he is such the "athlete" he is made out to be, I can't imagine why we don't at least use it a few times. Especially with Romo still limited in ability. I'm not sure he can throw the deep ball right now.

Maybe I am being unrealistic in expecting it, but it is the trend in the league right now, it be fun to see it on our team.

I've also noticed that teams with good QB's aren't using it. To my knowledge, only offensively challenged teams (Miami, Cleveland, etc.) have installed it.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Cards have used it...but, to be fair to Pennington...he has been great this season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-18-2008, 08:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
The no use of the potential Stanback wild cat formation is maddening. I mean, if he is such the "athlete" he is made out to be, I can't imagine why we don't at least use it a few times. Especially with Romo still limited in ability. I'm not sure he can throw the deep ball right now.

Maybe I am being unrealistic in expecting it, but it is the trend in the league right now, it be fun to see it on our team.

I've also noticed that teams with good QB's aren't using it. To my knowledge, only offensively challenged teams (Miami, Cleveland, etc.) have installed it.
I would really like to get into the heads of Wade and Garrett and try to understand what they intended for him when they drafted him. Right now, he's a non-factor. Is he going to get the reps that Austin used to have? I sure would like to see him on the field outside of returning kicks.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont see how he'll ever get involved. He's locked in as the 5th receiver right now, w/ no quick advancement in sight.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-18-2008, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

I just feel like he's a gimmick at this point, just like Josh Cribbs. If he is as athletically gifted as we are lead to believe and can serve as a duel threat passing the ball, why not get the ball to him in the wildcat or on a reverse or something?

He got some real game snaps at WR early in the season when we were in trouble, he should be able to pick up a few snaps here and there just to add a wrinkle every now and then.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Stanback was a goner for this season when his shoulder popped out of place, when he didn't get that surgery I knew it was going to be popping in and out all year and I think it's came out twice since the initial injury and I heard he needs the surgery at this point.

Don't know if that was it, but him AND Crayton can chuck the ball, surprising to say the least we haven't used more wrinkles with those two in the backfield.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Stanback was a goner for this season when his shoulder popped out of place, when he didn't get that surgery I knew it was going to be popping in and out all year and I think it's came out twice since the initial injury and I heard he needs the surgery at this point.

Don't know if that was it, but him AND Crayton can chuck the ball, surprising to say the least we haven't used more wrinkles with those two in the backfield.
Didn't we have Crayton throw 1 pass? and didn't he chuck it into double coverage or something?
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Didn't we have Crayton throw 1 pass? and didn't he chuck it into double coverage or something?
Yeah, after I saw that, I never wanted him to try it ever again.

But apparently we do have a play like that in our playbook. I guess they're satisfied with the way our offense traditionally runs.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Well we were planning on doing a lot of that stuff this year. WR reverse pass/double reverse passes and such...funny thing is, though...most were designed to be thrown to Hurd who was emerging as a good deep threat apparently in camp. A long strider like T.O., no one could keep up w/ Hurd during camp. Of course, you could try these w/ other receivers but, as LL said, Stanback has a hurt wing and we kind of fell into a hole after a while and didnt want to try such gimmicks, I'm sure.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

really? I thought Hurd had the speed of a turtle.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
really? I thought Hurd had the speed of a turtle.
Hurd was being praised for his increased speed this camp. He's no Austin obviously in this department but, he was looking faster than Crayton according to numerous writers in attendance. He was burning people deep. Hurd is no burner by any means but, his short routes are precise...slants, outs, curls, w/e...they wont be done real fast but, his route running will be crisp and clean. On deep routes, though...his long stride really enables him to beat guys...it just takes him a while to get going. If Sammy didnt get hurt...he was probably in for a nice year. He pretty much split the #2 reps w/ Crayton in camp. Hurd's future changed quite a bit when he went down...as did our teams because, we probably wouldnt have went out and got Roy. But it's easy to say this now...Hurd could have very well struggled but, I do think he would have been solid.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 11-18-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Yea, I'm still upset that we didn't get to see Hurd this year, I thought he was poised for a really solid year.

We may end up having to call up Travis Wilson from practice squad, the former 3rd rd pick from OU the Browns released earlier this season.

Quote:
Old 11-18-2008, 11:52 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Yeah, I forgot about him...maybe even Coleman but, Stanback more than likely will get the nod.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM    (permalink
johnstonolb
Rookie

johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.

Stanback is a fine athlete but a horrible use of the pick in that draft. You take projects in the 6th and 7th or FA signings not the first pick in the 4th round.

With respect to what Jerry and Garrett where thinking -- they weren't. They simply took another body to add to the mix in order to increase the probability one guy would pan (Hurd v Austin v Stanback) .... and as stated Austin has always been the best option b/c he is so physically gifted -- faster and taller than Hurd or Stanback. And as stated several times, you don't need Hurd and Crayton on the team -- one possession guy to work zones is enuff.

OT: Deon Anderson -- he sucks. I watched him closely every time he was in and he is not a good blocker b/c he misses the LB assignment more times than not. When he does touch the LB he does ok but you just can't wiff on an assignment as a FB and be considered any good.
johnstonolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonolb View Post
Stanback is a fine athlete but a horrible use of the pick in that draft. You take projects in the 6th and 7th or FA signings not the first pick in the 4th round.

With respect to what Jerry and Garrett where thinking -- they weren't. They simply took another body to add to the mix in order to increase the probability one guy would pan (Hurd v Austin v Stanback) .... and as stated Austin has always been the best option b/c he is so physically gifted -- faster and taller than Hurd or Stanback. And as stated several times, you don't need Hurd and Crayton on the team -- one possession guy to work zones is enuff.

OT: Deon Anderson -- he sucks. I watched him closely every time he was in and he is not a good blocker b/c he misses the LB assignment more times than not. When he does touch the LB he does ok but you just can't wiff on an assignment as a FB and be considered any good.
Before I call the Stanback pick a bad one, I'd like to see what he can do when given the chance to showcase his skills. If the coaching staff refuses to do so, then I don't blame Stanback for not being a good pick, I blame the staff for making the pick. ...if that makes sense.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw this on ESPN/sportscenter, Adam Jones was re-instated, but probably won't play until after Thanksgiving.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3713779

Last edited by Im_a_Romosexual : 11-19-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: link
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Hitman D
Rookie

Hitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairHitman D is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

And he does it again.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...o.161a4cd.html

A homeless man who goes by Doc was cashing in change at a Cinemark theater in Dallas when a guy walked up and offered to pay his way into the movie. Doc, who planned to spend his day passing out flyers for a few bucks, accepted a rain check before realizing that he recognized the generous gentleman.

"Was that Tony Romo?" Doc asked the kid behind the counter.

It sure was. Doc hustled across the street to the consignment store that paid him to occasionally pass out flyers and requested the day off. By the time he got back to the theater, "Role Model" had already started.

Romo, who confirmed the story but didn't want to elaborate, waved Doc over to sit by him and his buddy. Doc sheepishly mentioned that he hadn't showered in a few days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said. "I'm used to locker rooms."

And so the $67 million quarterback and a man who doesn't have $6.70 to his name sat next to each other and shared laughs for 90 minutes or so.

For Romo, who made news by changing a couple's tire on the side of the road on the way home the night of the season opener, it was just another kind gesture to a random stranger. It meant the world to Doc.

"For me, it was a blessing," Doc said. "It came at just the right time. It gave me some encouragement and faith in mankind. I just wanted to say thank you."

Hitman D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

1. Great article about Romo.
2. Excited, but anxious, for Pacman's return. As I said months ago (in my last post) for him to be suspended for anything more than what Chris Henry got would be ludicrous.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
johnstonolb
Rookie

johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Before I call the Stanback pick a bad one, I'd like to see what he can do when given the chance to showcase his skills. If the coaching staff refuses to do so, then I don't blame Stanback for not being a good pick, I blame the staff for making the pick. ...if that makes sense.
I agree. I wish our coaching staff WOULD GIVE the young guys a chance instead of picking up Vets with issues. WR, LB, CB, Safeties ........

In fact, let me go on record as saying I think Austin and Stanback are IDEAL 1/2 receivers if you are willing to take some lumps with the learning curve. Hurd as the possession guy in the slot too.

To me TO is what he is and on the downside of his career. To me, he drops too many passes and is a mediocre blocker who requires tons of passes to be effective. Roy Williams WR is fantastic but duplicative to TO IMHO. Good news however is that he is young and capable for another 5-6 years of being a #1. But Roy with the young dudes is more than Super Bowl material at WR and 9MM lighter on the payroll..

On the safeties, I would dump the two Vets (Hamlin and Williams) as well Henry. Save money and use it elsewhere, I would go with the young guys and give them time to mature. I think they are more talented than the Vets but again need reps. I am on record as saying I think Jenkins is a great FS prospect more so than CB. If Pacman can hold up, Scandrik, TNew is nice. Alan Ball as a #4 is fine too. Brown sucks though -- I would can him. He can't tackle or does not want too.

I would take this money and get a real NT (Cut/trade Tank), a young OL who can push one of the Tackles to the bench, and two starting ILB unless you think Burnett can cut it. On the OLB, bye bye Ellis and play Carpenter where he belongs as a SOLB.

So I would **** can some Vets ,,,, no problem.
johnstonolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

It will be interesting to see how quickly he gets back in the defense. If Mike and Orlando hold their own these next two weeks...maybe Adam is just relegated to punt return duties for the rest of the year. We'll see.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romo is so cool it's sickening.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote