Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I like that deal for Arizona too much, I wouldn't like anything that involved giving up Choice, I'd rather trade Barber for an elite WR and give up a smaller draft pick...Choice is the type of player we need more of in Valley Ranch, I have no doubt he's going to be working hard this off-season and down the line I can see him as a leader of this team.
I like Choice, too. My point, though, is that AZ wouldn't take Barber because of the contract. They would come near doing the deal with Choice because he's going to play at a pretty high level at a cheap salary for next several years.

Quote:
Felix has that same team personality, love guys like that, and I think I am looking forward too much to a backfield rotation of Choice and Felix to let him go right now.
I love em, too. I just though that the only way to get it done since we don't have a 1st rounder is something that another team would really want. Choice is that type of player.

I'm certainly not looking to get rid of him, but if you could get Boldin for Choice and a 3rd, I think you have to give that some serious thought.

Quote:
That article for Boldin was pointless, and I agree with Burns the ceiling on Austin is pretty high, I'm excited about getting him re-signed and letting him flourish as a solid #2 starter outside of Roy...He needs to show me he can stay healthy, but he certainly surprised the hell out of me and I don't think we've seen the best of him.

Roy and Boldin would be too much, you don't need two #1 WR especially when you have the best TE in the game and a running game that should feature 3 backs getting their touches.

I like Austin a lot, too. I think we would be fine going into next year without TO.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why the hell has everyone soured on Barber?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else have a pit in their stomach right now?

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just found myself getting mad during the SB....thinking of our dysfunctional mess of a team. I dont have all that much faith for next year either, not with Garrett still in charge of the play calling. Keeping Garrett has already destroyed my off-season grade for our team. Color me worried already. blah.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:28 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I just found myself getting mad during the SB....thinking of our dysfunctional mess of a team. I dont have all that much faith for next year either, not with Garrett still in charge of the play calling. Keeping Garrett has already destroyed my off-season grade for our team. Color me worried already. blah.
I'm expecting around 8-9 wins again, but we as fans don't have much reason to expect things like penalties, the December woes, or any of that to change...It's going to be an interesting year, but I certainly have my expectations alot lower unless some more big changes happen in the next few months.

Sucks that this year the NFC was wide open and we blew it, we battled with Pitt earlier this year, and with some discipline and coaching we could of made a legit run.

At least our Defense should be looking up next year, I just hope we cut Roy Williams(SS) & Greg Ellis, that's a good start, a few Free Agents could do the trick but can we afford Igor AND Ray Lewis? Don't think both are likely, if even one, so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mabye if we go into the season thinking that we're an 8 win team, then maybe we'll have a happier time cheering for them. Is that your guy's trick? :D
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Some interesting reading here regarding the Cowboys maybe bringing in Dan Reeves and also about Burnett and Canty. http://www.star-telegram.com/281/story/1183053.html
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Mabye if we go into the season thinking that we're an 8 win team, then maybe we'll have a happier time cheering for them. Is that your guy's trick? :D
Playing it safe, keeping expectations low so there won't be as huge of a let down this time around lol.

But seriously I really like the whole bringing in of Reeves, and reports are that he has already moved into an office...Granted there has been no reports of this or what his title will be, or what he will be involved with but I'd like to think it will be some of everything.

Head coach in waiting, and offensive mind to help out Jason Garrett and enable him to be more creative, create some stability and chemistry, have a say in personnel moves with Jerry so he's not just completely gung-ho.

He was around in the Landry days, he has alot of respect for this organization and I really think he knows what it takes to right the ship somewhat, and I think we could use help in all those areas, frankly a "consultant" is probably exactly what this team needed or at least a great start.

Preferrably I'd like for him to stay as a consultant and not a HC again, but I think that's only an option if we start terrible this year, but I would really like for him to be involved in offensive game-planning and play calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

MAN, I AM PISSED!!!

I went to the Pro Bowl practice today and was a couple people away from getting my authentic Ware jersey signed by Damarcus. Damnit!!!!! I thought I was gonna get him to sign it for real.. then he just bolted away back to the bus. GAHHHHHH...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dan Reeves now has an office at valley ranch...weird

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...an-Reeves.html

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I heard about that yesterday. No one knows for sure what he is even there for but, I def. think the primary reason is to mentor Garrett. Sure, he can help Wade in the process and help JJ in the decision making process but, the number one reason he is there, imo is for Garrett.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What linebacker will the Miami Dolphins target in free agency or in the first round of the draft?

DD.comment: We know Miami made a serious attempt to trade for for ex-Ohio State star Bobby Carpenter last winter, but Dallas owner Jerry Jones refused to send the Cowboys' 2006 first round pick to South Florida. We aren't quite sure why Jones took this stance, as Carpenter, who many scouts feel has the potential to start in the league, has pretty much been glued to the bench in Dallas and relegated to only special teams duty -- sort of like Mike Vrabel was in Pittsburgh in the latter part of the 1990's. It will be interesting to see if Miami tries to re-kindle those talks this year?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-04-2009, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
What linebacker will the Miami Dolphins target in free agency or in the first round of the draft?

DD.comment: We know Miami made a serious attempt to trade for for ex-Ohio State star Bobby Carpenter last winter, but Dallas owner Jerry Jones refused to send the Cowboys' 2006 first round pick to South Florida. We aren't quite sure why Jones took this stance, as Carpenter, who many scouts feel has the potential to start in the league, has pretty much been glued to the bench in Dallas and relegated to only special teams duty -- sort of like Mike Vrabel was in Pittsburgh in the latter part of the 1990's. It will be interesting to see if Miami tries to re-kindle those talks this year?
If that's true they made an offer and we refused, it better have been a bad deal. He's just going to end up walking, and we'll get nothing in return.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I doubt we'll move him...he's most likely looking at his most playing time ever in KB's vacant spot, more than likely. blah. If KB goes elsewhere, that is. I'd cut Bobby now if I could, though.

As for another topic...Canty, I dont see any way we can re-sign him and reports are that we wont even make the initial offer to him or Burnett. Taking the wait and see approach, letting them create their own markets. We may not be able to re-sign either. And I've said it before, I dont see Igor coming much cheaper so...it's going to be real interesting seeing who we have at both end positions for this upcoming year. Heck, Stephen Bowen actually has a fairly good shot at filling in for Canty next year.

I love the 3-4 but, here is your problem. Lack of 3-4 D-Line talent and those that are really good, are over priced. Yup, it sucks.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-04-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:08 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I doubt we'll move him...he's most likely looking at his most playing time ever in KB's vacant spot, more than likely. blah. If KB goes elsewhere, that is. I'd cut Bobby now if I could, though.

As for another topic...Canty, I dont see any way we can re-sign him and reports are that we wont even make the initial offer to him or Burnett. Taking the wait and see approach, letting them create their own markets. We may not be able to re-sign either. And I've said it before, I dont see Igor coming much cheaper so...it's going to be real interesting seeing who we have at both end positions for this upcoming year. Heck, Stephen Bowen actually has a fairly good shot at filling in for Canty next year.

I love the 3-4 but, here is your problem. Lack of 3-4 D-Line talent and those that are really good, are over priced. Yup, it sucks.
Actually everything I've read this year points to Castillo making less than Canty in the market. Citing that his down year and likely having to do with Merriman being hurt that he isn't going to see big dollars. Granted he is going to see a lot of money...but I'm fairly certain Canty will get more than he will this FA.

Ah...I see no reason to cut Bobby....he has talent...isn't overly priced...doesn't have a bad impact with the media or lockerroom. He is a solid special teams contributer.....no reason to cut him...aside from the fact that people are pissed he hasn't worked out.

The good thing about this draft is that it has a ton of guys who would work on our DL. I'm really looking at Baker/Gilbert with our pick in the 3rd...value would be just about right and both guys have the potential to be stups as a 1-gap 5-tech type player. Even a guy like Ziggy Hood...who I think is very similar to Jay Ratliff could come to Dallas and make an impact....the nice thing about Ratliff is that we don't have to say ok....we need a DE...or we need a NT....we basically just need 1-gap players that have enough size on them to fit a 3-4 scheme...whether it's a terrence taylor or what not....I have no problem seeing us bring in new talent this year if we are to lose canty.

Burnett on the other hand is going to be very hard to replace this offseason. I'd still really love to see us make an offer to Michael Boley. He was such a playmaker in 2007 and I'm really at a lose at why he didn't produce....new coaching scheme or something....he reminds me a lot of Julian Peterson who I absolutely loved.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
If that's true they made an offer and we refused, it better have been a bad deal. He's just going to end up walking, and we'll get nothing in return.
The deal I always heard was Fasano/Carpenter....we said no and they settled for Akin Ayodele.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-04-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

Let's see what the price actually is... I think this year we could actually see a down year monetary wise for players in FA... In this economy, I don't think we'll see "Tommy Kelly" like deals out there. We'll see...

And.... I don't really see either of them signing monstrous deals... Canty regressed last year... as did Olshansky... San Diego fans are even saying Good Riddance. Even if he did become a Cowboy, I think we should qwell our enthusiasm a bit and hope Wade can turn him back into the player he was starting to become. I really thought he was starting to emerge as a big name up until this season.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The deal I always heard was Fasano/Carpenter....we said no and they settled for Akin Ayodele.
...and I'd rather have Carp than Akin.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

The thing with Olshanksy...he didnt really regress, per se. They just didnt include him in their nickel/dime formations and they played A LOT more nickel/dime this year than in past years. They seem to be higher on Bingham these days anyway. Canty/Olshansky arent going to come cheap any way you spin it, imo.

As for the draft...sure, things look great on paper but, the vast majority of these guys have never played in a 3-4. It's hard to find really good 3-4 D-Lineman...the defense really limits the guys you can look at...if we're drafting for a guy who is going to start, you better hit the nail on the head. We may very well be looking at a Spears/Hatcher or Spears/Bowen combo to start off the year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-04-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The thing with Olshanksy...he didnt really regress, per se. They just didnt include him in their nickel/dime formations and they played A LOT more nickel/dime this year than in past years. They seem to be higher on Bingham these days anyway. Canty/Olshansky arent going to come cheap any way you spin it, imo.

As for the draft...sure, things look great on paper but, the vast majority of these guys have never played in a 3-4. It's hard to find really good 3-4 D-Lineman...the defense really limits the guys you can look at...if we're drafting for a guy who is going to start, you better hit the nail on the head. We may very well be looking at a Spears/Hatcher or Spears/Bowen combo to start off the year.
Don't count out Ratliff lining up at DE... at the very least on a part time basis. Especially if we find a NT in the draft. The guy I'm thinking of is Moala in the 3rd.

So this could be the future...

DE Canty or Olshansky/Hatcher
NT Ratliff/Moala
DE Spears/Ratliff

or

DE Canty or Olshansky/Hatcher
NT Moala/Ratliff
DE Ratliff/Spears
Old 02-04-2009, 08:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I wouldnt write off Bowen yet, if I were you. He actually played well this season and probably has just as good a chance to start as Hatcher does.

As for Ratliff...it'll be hard to move him out of the NT position, given his season. None of us really know what will happen there but, the chances of him staying there are very, very good, especially after a pro bowl campaign w/ outstanding production. It's going to be real interesting to see what we do along that line.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-04-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...idn-t-like-his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Reeves is now heading out
Despite already taking over some office space at Valley Ranch early this week, Dan Reeves is now heading out. The deal with Reeves and the Cowboys seemed like a done deal just awaiting official word, but fell apart on contract details Wednesday. Reeves was planning to join the Cowboys as a consultant.

Reeves was expected to help bring discipline and change a team culture that lacks accountability and is full of distractions. He was expected to report directly to owner Jerry Jones.

[snip]

Rich Dalrymple:

"We had two very good days of dialogue with Dan Reeves, and both the Cowboys and Dan had an interest in working together. By Wednesday afternoon, we were unable to reach an agreement on all of the details of a contract, and both parties were comfortable with the fact that Dan would not be joining the organization. Jerry (Jones) holds Dan in the highest regard as a friend and a tremendous contributor to the history of the Cowboys and the NFL."
That was quick.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:28 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Time to give Brian Billick a call.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:31 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Time to fire Garrett...

I could dream. :(

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Time to fire Garrett...

I could dream. :(
Maybe he'll get to work this offseason and make some improvements. :D

Coordinators, unlike players... don't get old and worse over time...