Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

I still think Garrett will be good. I haven't hated on him like a lot of the people on this board, which is odd since I love to crucify underachievers.

For whatever reason, I think he'll turn it around this year and come out with a really mix that has more short passes. I really feel like we'll utilize that slant more this coming season which is what I thought we should have been doing this previous year.

I've heard Roy Williams and T.O. both specifically mention the quick slant in interviews this off season so I'm hoping Garrett incorporates it into our attack.

A healthy Barber/Felix, a healthy Witten and a seasoned Marty B, a healthy O-line, a healthy Romo, and our stack of receivers.

I just don't see how he could fail again?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:02 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I just don't see how he could fail again?
I'll remember this quote.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Time to give Brian Billick a call.
No doubt. And we had not dragged ass making changes, we could have gotten Mike Nolan as part of the deal. Wade Phillips and the ginger coach are really going to be the ones to break in the new stadium?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
I'll remember this quote.
haha, well If the guy is as smart as everyone says he is...
Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
haha, well If the guy is as smart as everyone says he is...
how smart do you have to be to give one of the fastest guys on your team and first round pick a touch in a game?

That will forever go down as my memory of Garrett.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
how smart do you have to be to give one of the fastest guys on your team and first round pick a touch in a game?

That will forever go down as my memory of Garrett.
Yeah I know, I know...

Similar to Romo, I think the early hype he got after 1 year as a coordinator may have gone to his head. He was one of the hottest coaches on the market, not to mention Jerry paid him more than what some HC's are getting.

I hope this last season was humbling, I hope he realizes that he needs to stay creative and he needs to be forward thinking with his offense. Mostly I think he need to add variation into the passing routes. It seemed like everything was WR's deep and TE across the middle.

Give me some slants, give me some guys in motion who are immediately sent into routes in the flat (like welker), give me more mid range crossing routes for our 2 wr's who live on the RAC/YAC, and just make sure the RB's don't get abandoned.

I think after all the criticism he took from the media, opposing teams defenses, and his own team should motivate him to adjust.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The biggest potential problem I see is if the situation between TO and Garrett become too dysfunctional that it hurts the team as a whole.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:29 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This Dan Reeves thing is really bugging me...what could it have been.

I'm thinking maybe it had to do with if something were to happen he'd step in as head coach or something? Something fishy went on in that contract.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-05-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
This Dan Reeves thing is really bugging me...what could it have been.

I'm thinking maybe it had to do with if something were to happen he'd step in as head coach or something? Something fishy went on in that contract.
Dan wanted a title like VP of Football Operations or something fancy like that and Jerry said no. He wasn't happy about just having the "Consultant" title. Wade wanted Dan. He wanted a buffer between him and Garrett. Wade has no control over Garrett. Reeves would been Wade's way to handle Garrett.

This whole thing is messy. It started by Jerry hiring Garrett in the first place.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

So you think this is over a word in his contract?

That doesn't make sense to me...Dan said that there was something in his contract that wasn't talked about before he came in....Jerry said he wanted it in there and Dan didn't feel comfortable with it so he didn't sign it.

This leads me to believe something in writing caused Dan to leave....if it wasn't about money what was it....sounds shaddy.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-06-2009, 05:56 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the blog today...

"We didn't get the details of Dan Reeves' job description until he decided not to take the gig. But Reeves let the world know during his radio tour yesterday that he would have been heavily involved in coaching the Cowboys' offense."

They also said, it was a good thing he didnt stick around for Dallas. My response to that is...BS. JJ was bringing him in to mentor Garrett and now he's going to have to do it all alone, more than likely. We may have a lot of the same problems as last year. I dont think Garrett has the slightest idea what he is doing, to be completely honest. He was in over his head last year and tried to simplify things...but, how the hell are you supposed to win, when you constantly run the same few plays all the time? The fact that teams said they basically new what was coming is insanely alarming...the fact that we're still keeping him around just seems like a bad idea. He wasnt ready to be an offensive coordinator and I dont think we'll see some miracle growth next year, either. Bringing in Reeves to aid him would have been a very good idea.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Is anyone else interested in Clancy Pendergast? He's run out of 3-4 fronts before and runs an attacking D. It would still be Wade's defense, but Pendergast might bring some toughness.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That whole Reeves issue has me really down, it was probably one of the smartest things we could do to right the ship, and at least it was a step in the right direction, but then Jerry can't even get that done.

At the very least I was excited about another offensive mind, and this also makes me think TO is here to stay now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's possible that we may bring Pendergast back. He has a good relationship with Jerry Jones and Roy Williams loved the guy...that may not matter much now, though...but yeah, I could see us bringing him in. Nobody actually has our defensive coordinator title, so the door is open.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-06-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Reeves did say he is open to signing the contract if JJ took out that mystery clause.

edit...I guess the clause had to do w/ how many hours Reeves actually put in, instead of just getting a normal lump sum of cash. Like an hourly pay check. ha. Pretty stupid move by JJ.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 02-06-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Is anyone else interested in Clancy Pendergast? He's run out of 3-4 fronts before and runs an attacking D. It would still be Wade's defense, but Pendergast might bring some toughness.
I am, I was surprised he was fired, like really surprised, who is out there that they like more then him? We all know it's Wade's D, but I think he's clearly the best candidate right now and if Wade gets fired at some point Pendergrast can still run the 3-4.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Have you guys been reading the reports about Ireland and Parcells wanting Austin??

What are the rules on tendering an UDFA?? I'm not 100% sure I can place a tender on him, and either trade him, match the offer, or let him walk.

I don't know how much they are prepared to offer, but I don't think Jerry wants to break the bank...He'd probably go to Miami and flourish outside with Ginn but who knows, everything I've read looks like they will make a push to get him.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

gafyobop smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Have you guys been reading the reports about Ireland and Parcells wanting Austin?
What is there not to like? When he is on the field he makes plays but if you don't give him a real shot and some reps ...... be better for him if he leaves, just like Carpenter, and goes to a team that will take some risk and believes in their talent.

Also, no comments on the management soap opera in Dallas?
gafyobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:33 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^^^^ anybody else???

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

gafyobop smells like sex panther.

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ any thoughts?
gafyobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
From the blog today...

"We didn't get the details of Dan Reeves' job description until he decided not to take the gig. But Reeves let the world know during his radio tour yesterday that he would have been heavily involved in coaching the Cowboys' offense."

They also said, it was a good thing he didnt stick around for Dallas. My response to that is...BS. JJ was bringing him in to mentor Garrett and now he's going to have to do it all alone, more than likely. We may have a lot of the same problems as last year. I dont think Garrett has the slightest idea what he is doing, to be completely honest. He was in over his head last year and tried to simplify things...but, how the hell are you supposed to win, when you constantly run the same few plays all the time? The fact that teams said they basically new what was coming is insanely alarming...the fact that we're still keeping him around just seems like a bad idea. He wasnt ready to be an offensive coordinator and I dont think we'll see some miracle growth next year, either. Bringing in Reeves to aid him would have been a very good idea.
That's about it. The fact that JJ was willing to pay big bucks for a "consultant" pretty much shows how much confidence he has in Garrett. This whole thing has been a complete cluster****. It's been frustrating to watch.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:20 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Ok so I was reading some of Roy Williams comments(the Safety) and he was talking about how he is a much better fit in the 4-3 then he is the 3-4, and his stats and production probably backs that up.

My question though, is the difference really that big between the two? I didn't think the priorities of a safety changed that much between the two, but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that way.

That's still more the reason that I though trading him would be a nice option to a 4-3 team if possible, I'd push for a 4th and see if you get any takers, and I'd probably take an early 5th if someone was willing but his contract probably prevents him from being traded...Last year was probably the year to try and make that happen, now he's been sucking and off of an injury.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He can make all the excuses he wants, but his time as a Pro Bowl safety are long gone IMO. I've always wondered though if the Colts or the Bucs would take him and move him to LB.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Personally I think Dan Reeves was a bit of a gimmick. The guy is a dinosaur. I mean, really what was he going to do? Show Garrett how to pound the rock 40 times a game? Show him how to give a runningback a record 410 carries in a season?

I mean come on, the offense under Parcells was predictable as well. 3rd and 8 -- why pass when you can run a delayed draw to Julius for a gain of 3. Flea Flicker. Tons of ********.

Garretts first year was bad ass. He made some mistake this past year, but I bet if the offensive line had held up and if we weren't dealing with a new injury every week -- Felix, Kosier, Flo, Romo, Witten, Barber, Holland, Austin -- we probably would have had a better year.

I know he got predictable as well but everyone takes their lumps. He wasn't going to just remain a playcalling God and never be exposed. He just has to go back to the drawing board.

Let's not pretend that Tony didn't throw some stupid passes either. Roy Williams, T.O., and Crayton all started to complain about Tony not finding them when they are open. 3-5 passes a game that could have been redirected could have made a huge difference.

The offense as a whole, coach and players, underachieved.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Just finally got around to uploading some pictures.

Me and D after our week 17 loss in Hawaii.

Designs by me
Quote: