Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We could use the CB depth, wonder how much money he would be asking for...If we get Pendergast I won't be worried much about the defense, we should be a strong unit, it's the offensive side of the ball I'm worried about sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:33 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
We could use the CB depth, wonder how much money he would be asking for...If we get Pendergast I won't be worried much about the defense, we should be a strong unit, it's the offensive side of the ball I'm worried about sadly.
He can't be asking for near as much this offseason as last. This is what he went for in the first week of FA last year...

"On March 1, 2008, Florence was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars to a six-year $36 million contract with $13 million in guaranteed money."
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:18 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Florence is terrible...

If Henry does indeed move to FS, we can def. use some CB depth but, we can do better than Florence.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a fan of Florence. Honestly, I'd rather have Henry there.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about Dunta Robinson, will he be available in FA?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dunta is an excellent player when healthy. But anyway, Dallas doesn't need, nor can they afford a corner of that caliber. He wants $23 million in guaranteed money. But yeah, we dont need a starting corner, just depth. You have your projected starters already in Newman and Jenkins. Then Scandrick is the nickel guy, we're set for quite a while. We just need to bring in some guys to compete for those 4 and 5 spots. I'm assuming of course that Henry will be moving to safety. I def. think he'll finally make that full time move next year....thus, we just need a little depth.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-15-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Default Top 5 FA players

MOTH,

Who are your top FA guys you would like to see the Cowboys land?

Of course we probably wont be able to sign too many high dollar guys, but for arguments sake, who would you like to see us sign..who would make the most impact in your opinion?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we tie any FA money or draft picks on CB.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I don't think we tie any FA money or draft picks on CB.
One injury and we are looking at Alan Ball playing the #2 corner with scandrick in the nickel again...no thanks...we will add another body on the second day I think.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPATS View Post
MOTH,

Who are your top FA guys you would like to see the Cowboys land?

Of course we probably wont be able to sign too many high dollar guys, but for arguments sake, who would you like to see us sign..who would make the most impact in your opinion?
Igor Olshansky- yes please...address a huge need for us for a ok contract after a down year

Albert Haynesworth- I know it's not happening...but I still will never let this down....we win a superbowl with him on our team.

Ray Lewis- sounds expensive...but would be worth it imo

Michael Boley- super high on him in our scheme...doubt it will happen

Tully Banta-Cain- someone to look at if ellis isn't back....

Leigh Bodden- I'm super high on him if he comes at a reasonable price...but I doubt we make a run at a starting caliber guy like him.

Sean Jones- #2 on my wants behind Haynesworth...so aka #1 this guy is a stud

Mike Brown- when healthy he is a beast

Jarrad Page- RFA but depending on his tender might be on his way out anyways....good starter could start in dallas

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-16-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
One injury and we are looking at Alan Ball playing the #2 corner with scandrick in the nickel again...no thanks...we will add another body on the second day I think.
I agree that we may add something late. I guess I should have specified that I don't think we invest any FA money and an early draft pick on CB.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I agree that we may add something late. I guess I should have specified that I don't think we invest any FA money and an early draft pick on CB.
Chris McCallister is a FA....instatly jumps up into my favorite guy for the job. A savy vet that could step in if you needed him too....otherwise he just plays about 20% of the defensive snaps and preaches....doesn't hurt to take Raven defensive players either....they have that swaggar they could bring to us.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-17-2009, 09:15 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Quote:
Chris McCallister is a FA....instatly jumps up into my favorite guy for the job. A savy vet that could step in if you needed him too....otherwise he just plays about 20% of the defensive snaps and preaches....doesn't hurt to take Raven defensive players either....they have that swaggar they could bring to us.
What kind of contract will this guy be looking for? From everything I am reading he will likely sign a 1-2 year deal worth quite a bit, but might settle for less per year if someone offers the 3-4 year deal.

I don't think the money will be there this year for us to be in contention, there are way too many other teams needing a VET CB's services.

If we could get a decent deal that wouldn't protrude in us signing Ware to LTD or resigning guys like Burnett/Canty/Austin/etc., them I am all for it, I just doubt we will be able to compete.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McAllister is just a big name. He's way to injury prone and would just slow the development and impact of Jenkins and Scandrick. ..plus the $$$... No thank you. He doesn't want to go anywhere where he won't start. Save the $$$ elsewhere.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

JJ talked to the media a bit today...he didnt exactly say it but, he did hint at T.O. returning next year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Is my foresight really that god or am I fooling myself?

This whole thing about Jerry not hiring a replacement DC...

"Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart was fired a few weeks later, and Jones said Tuesday he decided not to hire a replacement."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

This is what I see...

1. Jerry is going to make Wade call it like he did last season.

2. Then when the season is over and Wade's HC contract is up, he'll ask Wade to be the full time DC. Jerry will pay him enough for him to be comfortable with the idea, and Wade will take it, especially when won't be entertaining any HC positions elsewhere. I don't think he'd have had a HC offer even if he were cut this offseason to be quite honest.

3. Jerry will hiring Shanahan as the new HC. Jerry has had an affection/respect with Shanny for a while now. It's why we have been scrimmaging with Denver in the preseason as much as we've had over the last few years.

4. The WCO will be in full effect in Dallas and all the peices will finally fit the puzzle. ...except the OL. Doh!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

gafyobop smells like sex panther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
God, indeed.
gafyobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafyobop View Post
God, indeed.
Ha... Yeah... I guess even God makes typos. :p
Old 02-17-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I guess we will have to wait and see..I also didn't think that we would bring in a DC....but it's way to early to say that Wade is going to be replaced next year...hell for all we know we could win it all.

But I'll remember this d...it makes sense...I'm just not buying Wade taking a demotion....or rather having someone else come in and help run the show while he is here.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 02-17-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

gafyobop smells like sex panther.

Quote:
I guess we will have to wait and see..I also didn't think that we would bring in a DC....but it's way to early to say that Wade is going to be replaced next year...hell for all we know we could win it all.

But I'll remember this d...it makes sense...I'm just not buying Wade taking a demotion....or rather having someone else come in and help run the show while he is here.
Well, this basically makes Jerry the HC.
gafyobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Don't Wade and Shannahan have beef with eachother?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Don't Wade and Shannahan have beef with eachother?
Shanny took over for Wade in Denver... but I doubt they have a beef about it.

Dallas 2010... part deaux?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:00 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

This whole thing about Jerry not hiring a replacement DC...

"Defensive coordinator Brian Stewart was fired a few weeks later, and Jones said Tuesday he decided not to hire a replacement."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...e=NFLHeadlines

This is what I see...

1. Jerry is going to make Wade call it like he did last season.

2. Then when the season is over and Wade's HC contract is up, he'll ask Wade to be the full time DC. Jerry will pay him enough for him to be comfortable with the idea, and Wade will take it, especially when won't be entertaining any HC positions elsewhere. I don't think he'd have had a HC offer even if he were cut this offseason to be quite honest.

3. Jerry will hiring Shanahan as the new HC. Jerry has had an affection/respect with Shanny for a while now. It's why we have been scrimmaging with Denver in the preseason as much as we've had over the last few years.

4. The WCO will be in full effect in Dallas and all the peices will finally fit the puzzle. ...except the OL. Doh!

I honestly feel this way too, not hiring a DC and giving that job to Wade is basically an easy out for 2010 so he can still have that job outright, it just makes too much sense otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:51 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I honestly feel this way too, not hiring a DC and giving that job to Wade is basically an easy out for 2010 so he can still have that job outright, it just makes too much sense otherwise.
It worries me a little that our HC is a DC. It is one thing to call the plays or help coach the scheme as a whole, but all the prep that the coordinaters put in each week to get prepared for the game will continue to take away from the HC duties Wade has, and IMO he is already lacking in that relm.

I know head coaches call the plays in other places, like Shanahan, but I also think that they can handle the HC part better than Wade has anywhere he has been.

It is certainly logical to think he will be asked to remain as DC only next year, especially by not hiring a guy who can come in a take a little burden off of hiim this year.

Being a head coach is a lot like being an administrator in a long term care facility. It is more about people/player management. The administrative staff you hire will basically run the day to day business, but it is the administrator's job to manage the staff and make sure things run smooth.

If you have a great self-leading staff, you can trust, to a certain extent, that they are taking care of business and making sure things are going the way they should. If your staff needs constant reigning in, and they aren't leading for the front line staff, things in your facility will start to fall apart.

The same thing happens on a football team, much like we have seen of the Cowboys, lack of leadership and accountability equals disappointing results.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Why does everyone seem to be jumping to the conclusion that JJ's comments yesterday cement the fact that TO will be back?

If you listen/read the entire quote, he left himself plenty of wiggle room. And if he was 100% sure TO would be back, why not say that.

I still don't think JJ has made his mind up on the issue.

-Douglas MacArthur