Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-06-2006, 03:53 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone here wants a 2 gap DT it looks like. I personally don't agree. Between Furgy and Newman...they have been the reason our defense has been so dominate. If Canty/Spears quit playing like robots I think we would be number 1 instead of 4. But Furgy has demanded double teams all year...and when he hasn't he has got to the QB. What we need is someone to take him off the field maybe 1 every 4 times out and someone to play the NT in the Nickle. I don't think a Glover type guy is a need. Ratliff gets great pressure in the nickle from the inside...yet he gets double teamed about half the time.

With this break down I think Tank Tyler is the guy we need. He has been disruptive all year long even getting into the backfield. He has the potential to be a dominate NT of the future....and could play a great NT in the nickle...making teams decide who to double. Who would you double on this line?

Ware-Tank-Ratliff-Hatcher

Not sold yet? Lets look back at Pepper Johnson. Parcells loves NT's with nicknames :P

For the most part I agree with LSU as stated before. You try to get skill position players early. Which is why I was high on Ginn. But if we are picking in the 26-32 range...we dont' have a very good shot at landing a player like that. I mean we likely won't have a shot at blalock/any good ot/wr. So I agree...that if CB is the best playmaking position available we attack it. Because I would much rather address OT/OG later then pick Levi. He is solid but could pick someone up similar to him later in the draft.

D I remember breaking down Austin in training camp. Saying watch out for him he could be our future number one. Well now its back to our three year program.

Year One - Learn the System
Year Two - Refine your Skills
Year Three - Show me something.

This Draft will show a lot as far as what we see in our future WR corps. The only WR I could see us bringing in is a quick guy. I mean realistically he only needs to be better then Rector. He needs to have return abilities and he would take over Green.

If I'm in the front office...and Ginn falls out of the top 10...I'm trying as hard as I can to trade up. I'm offering singleton/coleman/davis/crayton/hurd w/e it takes to move up.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:56 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone here wants a 2 gap DT it looks like. I personally don't agree. Between Furgy and Newman...they have been the reason our defense has been so dominate. If Canty/Spears quit playing like robots I think we would be number 1 instead of 4. But Furgy has demanded double teams all year...and when he hasn't he has got to the QB. What we need is someone to take him off the field maybe 1 every 4 times out and someone to play the NT in the Nickle. I don't think a Glover type guy is a need. Ratliff gets great pressure in the nickle from the inside...yet he gets double teamed about half the time.

With this break down I think Tank Tyler is the guy we need. He has been disruptive all year long even getting into the backfield. He has the potential to be a dominate NT of the future....and could play a great NT in the nickle...making teams decide who to double. Who would you double on this line?

Not sold yet? Lets look back at Pepper Johnson. Parcells loves NT's with nicknames :P

For the most part I agree with LSU as stated before. You try to get skill position players early. Which is why I was high on Ginn. But if we are picking in the 26-32 range...we dont' have a very good shot at landing a player like that. I mean we likely won't have a shot at blalock/any good ot/wr. So I agree...that if CB is the best playmaking position available we attack it. Because I would much rather address OT/OG later then pick Levi. He is solid but could pick someone up similar to him later in the draft.

D I remember breaking down Austin in training camp. Saying watch out for him he could be our future number one. Well now its back to our three year program.

This Draft will show a lot as far as what we see in our future WR corps. The only WR I could see us bringing in is a quick guy. I mean realistically he only needs to be better then Rector. He needs to have return abilities and he would take over Green.

If I'm in the front office...and Ginn falls out of the top 10...I'm trying as hard as I can to trade up. I'm offering singleton/coleman/davis/crayton/hurd w/e it takes to move up.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-06-2006, 03:56 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-06-2006, 03:58 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-06-2006, 03:59 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-06-2006, 06:03 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm looking for big things for Carp next year. I think he'll be more comfortable and stronger. Plus I think he'll have a more defined role whether it be inside or outside.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Id actually like to take a flyer on parrish... He cant be worse than davis/watkins (at least i dont think he could) and maybe a good secondary such as ours will allow him to feel more comfortable and do some of the things he used to do. Maybe we could squeeze some production out of him for a few games, much like troy vincent(last year? i think) after everyone had him labeled as washed up. Who knows, if Bill does it, im sure he sees something, and if we dont look at him, im sure Bill doesnt think he would help. With the Romo move and then and switch to Gramatica, wouldnt it be great to see us bring in an old FS and have him turn out to be another perfect move...
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Id actually like to take a flyer on parrish... He cant be worse than davis/watkins (at least i dont think he could) and maybe a good secondary such as ours will allow him to feel more comfortable and do some of the things he used to do. Maybe we could squeeze some production out of him for a few games, much like troy vincent(last year? i think) after everyone had him labeled as washed up. Who knows, if Bill does it, im sure he sees something, and if we dont look at him, im sure Bill doesnt think he would help. With the Romo move and then and switch to Gramatica, wouldnt it be great to see us bring in an old FS and have him turn out to be another perfect move...
Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Old 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Old 12-06-2006, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
In terms of pass rush, I think you have to give Carp at least until the end of next year before you write him off, so I don't think Spencer should be looked at.

I think the issue at pass rush comes down to 2 things.

1. Lack of a dominant NT
2. LE not generating any pressure

Marcus Spears has been a huge disappointment. He is simply not producing like he should. He's been very average this year. Pressure from his side would make a 4 man rush out of your defense that much better.

More importantly though, youre not getting any push up the middle, and that starts with the NT. Ferguson is very serviceable in the run game, but to truely have a dominant pass rush you must have that NT who can swallow the interior of the oline, and Ferguson is not that guy.

I don't think theres a viable replacement in this draft either, so youre just gonna have to make do with what you got. Okeye I guess has potential, but most feel he's a 4-3 NT/UT from what I heard, he has no realistic shot at succeeding as a 3-4 NT. I thought he did, considering he's only 19, but I guess not.

And of course, youd love to see DWare work on his pass rushing techniques in the offseason. Perhaps hiring a dline/rushbacker coach who can work more exclusively with him will help accelerate his learning curve.

Maybe even signing Kelly Gregg in the offseason would improve your push up the middle. But I don't know if he would be any better than Fergy. Maybe passing up on Gabe Watson was a mistake for you guys, he couldve been the guy if Parcells could motivate him.
I'm looking forward to seeing Carp next year with a little more strength and experience.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Old 12-06-2006, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

I can't wait to see Carp next year. A year under his belt should do him a world of good.

Albert Camus
Old 12-06-2006, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

I can't wait to see Carp next year. A year under his belt should do him a world of good.

Albert Camus
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM    (permalink
scoopdawg
Veteran

scoopdawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
I think that the problem with our pass rush is more with the scheme than the players..
We've invested an 18th pick on Carpenter, i don't want him to sit on the bench.. I think that with a dominant NT our pass rush could step to another level..
alot of factors are included in run stuffing and a NT would do ok
scoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM    (permalink
scoopdawg
Veteran

scoopdawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:
I think that the problem with our pass rush is more with the scheme than the players..
We've invested an 18th pick on Carpenter, i don't want him to sit on the bench.. I think that with a dominant NT our pass rush could step to another level..

I agree.
i dont agree
scoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 11:41 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I looked at Scott's new mock, he has us taking Levi Brown to apparently take the place of Colombo.....and he said it speaks volumes about the state of the group that he is starting. Is it just me or has Colombo actually played well this season? I know we could use OL, but I would rather have an OG to replace Rivera than a RT to replace Colombo. Thoughts>>>>?
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

I looked at Scott's new mock, he has us taking Levi Brown to apparently take the place of Colombo.....and he said it speaks volumes about the state of the group that he is starting. Is it just me or has Colombo actually played well this season? I know we could use OL, but I would rather have an OG to replace Rivera than a RT to replace Colombo. Thoughts?
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

I looked at Scott's new mock, he has us taking Levi Brown to apparently take the place of Colombo.....and he said it speaks volumes about the state of the group that he is starting. Is it just me or has Colombo actually played well this season? I know we could use OL, but I would rather have an OG to replace Rivera than a RT to replace Colombo. Thoughts?
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Anyone find Scotts Scouting report on Kolb strikingly familiar to another Dallas QB?

Quote:
Does not have the ideal height that you look for...Passing numbers were inflated by playing in a passing system...Accuracy is dodgy, especially on deep balls...Gets too many passes batted down at the line...Worked mostly out of the shotgun...Is going to have to learn how to run a pro style offense and read defenses...Didn't always play against top competition...Mechanics and throwing motion need work.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-07-2006, 08:33 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
We have about 4 pages accumulated talking about this matter alone...reading back through the pages wouldn't be a bad idea.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poet3334
Quote:

I agree.
i dont agree
I do

Albert Camus