Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'd be interested to see if any team would give Burnett the chance to start.

As for Matt Stewart... I'll be surprised if he's on the 53 man roster at the start of the season.

What we should do is draft Kevin Ellison to be our Nickel LB. That's what I did in the forum mock. ;) *Ducks from flying tomatos*
I actually wouldn't be opposed to that. Ellison is a great player, he just needs a special role. He isn't fast enough to be a safety (had he run a 4.6, I would have him as the best SS in this draft) and he probably can't play LB anywhere full time.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCFanatic View Post
Burnett wants a chance to start and Wade won't give him one.

He's a goner now that Brookings was signed.

Now we need a Nickel LB.
Welcome. I've been to your website to watch videos quite a few times.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:30 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed that the team is considering moving Felix Jones into the starting lineup with Marion Barber going back to his pre-2008 "closer" role.

The owner was careful to emphasize that Barber will still be heavily involved in the offense, but this confirms our suspicions that Felix Jones will be worked in more in 2009. Barber's 248 touches to Julius Jones' 167 in 2007 may be a good baseline for Barber vs. Felix Jones and Tashard Choice in 2009.
Source: Dallas Morning News

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Burnett is now supposedly getting heavy interest from the packers on top of the Raiders and Chargers....if you still had any glint of hope...it's fine to have lost it now...because he's not coming back. :(

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what are your thoughts on Burnett's ability to play outside on the weak side? I know you guys like him in the inside but what are your thoughts on him on the outside because that is where the Packers, if they sign him, plan to play him.
PACKmanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
what are your thoughts on Burnett's ability to play outside on the weak side? I know you guys like him in the inside but what are your thoughts on him on the outside because that is where the Packers, if they sign him, plan to play him.
It's worth a shot. He's had some experience there as a backup. What many here will miss is our Nickel LB. He's been too injury prone to fulfill his potential. I'm not sure how much potential there is left to fill, but you should feel good about a solid depth guy.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Burnett is now supposedly getting heavy interest from the packers on top of the Raiders and Chargers....if you still had any glint of hope...it's fine to have lost it now...because he's not coming back. :(
I think he's going to the Chargers to be honest. A system he is already familiar with. They need a starter at ILB which is a much better position for him than OLB. He's going to give them a lot of options in the middle because both he and Cooper have the ability to cover. He's also going to be playing behind a much bigger NT.

bye, bye KB :(
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

cowboys just released TO
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub11 View Post
cowboys just released TO
Whoa. Can't say I'm upset about it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Well to everyone I said was stupid for thinking jerry would cut T.O., I guess I'm the idiot, huh?

I am not at all pleased. We just cut one of our best players, one of the only guys on this team with heart. Now we are left with a total wild card in Roy Williams. Personally I think he's going to fail to meet expectations but well see.

I guess the bar has been set pretty high. 26 td's over the past 2 years by Owens... lets see what RW can do.

New prediction for upcoming season: 7-9
Old 03-05-2009, 12:11 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we may be better...you figure if Garrett actually commits to the run, this team is going to be hard to beat. We have arguably three starting caliber runningbacks. Talent wise we're right up there with the best. Look at the Titans offense...Our Rbs are just as talented, more so even and we have a much better Qb and our receivers and tight ends are still better with or without T.O. Now, this would mean changing the dynamic of the team and actually committing to the run...that remains to be seen with Garrett in charge but, there is still plenty of talent on this offense and now Garrett has the freedom to do whatever he wants. No more excuses for him now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2009, 02:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I think we may be better...you figure if Garrett actually commits to the run, this team is going to be hard to beat. We have arguably three starting caliber runningbacks. Talent wise we're right up there with the best. Look at the Titans offense...Our Rbs are just as talented, more so even and we have a much better Qb and our receivers and tight ends are still better with or without T.O. Now, this would mean changing the dynamic of the team and actually committing to the run...that remains to be seen with Garrett in charge but, there is still plenty of talent on this offense and now Garrett has the freedom to do whatever he wants. No more excuses for him now.
I keep hearing you compare us to the Titans, but the Titans were the Titans because of their friggin awesome DEFENSE.

...and our RBs are fancy and all... but our OL needs to gel. They played great in the couple games Holland played in and were pretty atrocious outside of that. They're only as strong as their weakest link... Even Romo said, if 1 guy doesn't do his job right, the rest of the guys have to pick up the slack and it brings the whole line down. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Procter, because he said this in the post game interview when Procter had that one play where he never got his head out of his ass at the snap and Romo nearly took a safety. As for the OL depth... it scares the living daylights outta me... If Adams, Holland, Gurode, Davis, or Columbo go down... Lord have mercy. It will get ugly FAST.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:10 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol, yea he was talking exactly about Proctor, pretty funny because he sounded pissed about it and wasn't really shying away from saying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
New prediction for upcoming season: 7-9

LMAO, I'm holding you to that one man...I guess when TO leaves so does the rest of the talent on this team?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:12 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I keep hearing you compare us to the Titans, but the Titans were the Titans because of their friggin awesome DEFENSE.

...and our RBs are fancy and all... but our OL needs to gel. They played great in the couple games Holland played in and were pretty atrocious outside of that. They're only as strong as their weakest link... Even Romo said, if 1 guy doesn't do his job right, the rest of the guys have to pick up the slack and it brings the whole line down. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Procter, because he said this in the post game interview when Procter had that one play where he never got his head out of his ass at the snap and Romo nearly took a safety. As for the OL depth... it scares the living daylights outta me... If Adams, Holland, Gurode, Davis, or Columbo go down... Lord have mercy. It will get ugly FAST.
I was just talking offensively. I didnt mean to actually compare us to the team as a whole. As far as offense goes. They were successful with less talent at QB, WR, and TE while having two good backs. I was just making the point that if they can play well on the offensive end with their talent than there is no reason why we couldnt be successful with the offensive talent we have. T.O. isnt our entire offense. It's not like the Titans even had a great offense as in ranking...I just mean we have a similar running back situation and more talent surrounding that then they do. We should be able to put plenty of points on the board without T.O., Garrett just needs to commit more to that running game.

and as far as the line goes...they obviously need to gel. I wouldnt say they were all that bad all season, though...considering Felix and Tashard's yards per carry.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-05-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

geez, Bobby Carpenter is on First Take again. He and Patrick Crayton are freaking regulars on this awful show.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2009, 11:31 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
geez, Bobby Carpenter is on First Take again. He and Patrick Crayton are freaking regulars on this awful show.
Well, Crayton has a big mouth, so he's probably a good quote machine. What's Carpenter talking about?
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:35 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
Well, Crayton has a big mouth, so he's probably a good quote machine. What's Carpenter talking about?
Just talking about T.O., he didnt really say anything of note.

and we all know Patty has a big mouth but, First Take is such an awful show. I just wish none of our guys were involved with it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Well looks like a lot of you may get your wish...the Cowboys are meeting with Olshansky. I'm a tad surprised but, maybe we cross DE off of the draft board and potentially add WR to that list. I didnt think it was likely but surprsingly there has been little interest...with Canty signing it brings his price down but, I'd imagine a deal would still cost a pretty penny. So, there are no guarantees...spending money here means that there probably wont be any to spend on a safety, which is worrisome. Especially, considering I think we have two guys that can do an effective job for us as at the end position already. Interesting...

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-05-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Well looks like a lot of you may get your wish...the Cowboys are meeting with Olshansky. I'm a tad surprised but, maybe we cross DE off of the draft board and potentially add WR to that list. I didnt think it was likely but surprsingly there has been little interest...with Canty signing it brings his price down but, I'd imagine a deal would still cost a pretty penny. So, there are no guarantees...spending money here means that there probably wont be any to spend on a safety, which is worrisome. Especially, considering I think we have two guys that can do an effective job for us as at the end position already. Interesting...
I-GOR! I-GOR! EEE-GOR! :D

The likelihood of Gilbert or Hood falling to us in the draft are slim... and I don't love any other 3-4 DE prospect... We need this.

5yr/$28M should do the trick.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
I-GOR! I-GOR! EEE-GOR! :D

The likelihood of Gilbert or Hood falling to us in the draft are slim... and I don't love any other 3-4 DE prospect... We need this.

5yr/$28M should do the trick.
blah...I'd rather keep what we have for cheap. Then we could atleast explore the option of bringing in a safety via FA which seems more important.

Hopefully, he'd come cheaper than that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is what happened.

Canty had this happen on a smaller scale. IDK how many of you read the article where Canty's agent broke it down...but he wanted 8....looked like he was gonna get 6...then got lucky when the giants still wanted him and got 7.

Now we are here almost a week later....Igor will probably get a base of 5 imo, because he was probably thinking he'd pull 6 or 7..but the lack of interest cheapens him up...and then he'll probably count about 3 or 4 for 2009.

Here is something to think about....the team came out and said it wanted to pay Ware....but if you look at the cap situation...there is almost no way you can give him the deal bigger than haynesworth at this point....10.5 for this year is said to be the starting point....so I'm still not sure how Steven and Jerry plan on getting it done...maybe they are going to wait a bit?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 12:37 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Cowboys released SS Roy Williams.
The move saves just over $2M against the cap. Williams, 28, broke his right forearm twice last season. The Cowboys don't have a good replacement on the roster, but his inability to cover made him not worth his salary. Williams may find work quicker than Terrell Owens. Basically a linebacker at this stage, Williams will intrigue teams looking for a run-stopping nickel player.

per roto

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
blah...I'd rather keep what we have for cheap. Then we could atleast explore the option of bringing in a safety via FA which seems more important.

Hopefully, he'd come cheaper than that.
Sure, cheaper the better... but Olshansky is just 24 years old and played great for Wade. I love the fit. A round peg in a round hole.

As for which to address DE or S via FA... S is much easier to find in the draft. Don't you agree?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:06 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Sure, cheaper the better... but Olshansky is just 24 years old and played great for Wade. I love the fit. A round peg in a round hole.

As for which to address DE or S via FA... S is much easier to find in the draft. Don't you agree?
I agree with that but you see...we have young capable players at end as it is. So, unless someone fell to us in the 2nd (unlikely). End wouldnt be as big a need as safety anyway. The fact that we could be starting a rookie safety drafted in the 2nd round on is a pretty scary thought. You better hit with that draft selection or we could be screwed. It would be nice to add a stop gap or some veteran capable of starting on the roster via FA. That would certainly seem more important than adding an end. Who you may end up over paying for.

I wouldnt want to pay $5 million for him...not when safety is a more glaring need. If he came cheaper, why not? I've already expressed my thoughts on him as a player. I dont dislike him at all.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-05-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:11 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I agree with that but you see...we have young capable players at end as it is. So, unless someone fell to us in the 2nd (unlikely). End wouldnt be as big a need as safety anyway. The fact that we could be starting a rookie safety drafted in the 2nd round on is a pretty scary thought. You better hit with that draft selection or we could be screwed. It would be nice to add a stop gap or some veteran capable of starting on the roster via FA. That would certainly seem more important than adding an end. Who you may end up over paying for.
Mike Brown and Darren Sharper are still names that I like as veteran guys back there. That would make it a little easier to go into the season.

I think Igor or Sean Jones...and trade up in the draft to fill the other position...comp picks haven't even been announced yet...that has to be coming soon...anyone know when for sure?

Designs by me
Quote: