Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I agree with that but you see...we have young capable players at end as it is. So, unless someone fell to us in the 2nd (unlikely). End wouldnt be as big a need as safety anyway. The fact that we could be starting a rookie safety drafted in the 2nd round on is a pretty scary thought. You better hit with that draft selection or we could be screwed. It would be nice to add a stop gap or some veteran capable of starting on the roster via FA. That would certainly seem more important than adding an end. Who you may end up over paying for.
I guess the part where you say we already have capable players at end is where we disagree. Hatcher is on his last leg to show anything. The promise is nearly worn out. It's this year or the highway for him. Bowen is a capable backup... same with Spears.

If we can't get Igor, I wouldn't mind looking at CJ Mosley who was released.

And as for having a 2nd round S start for us... I'm perfectly fine with that. Even a 3rd or 4th rounder could work without scaring me too much. The key is hitting on the selection. ...I know that's easier said than done. Possible though. Washington was so lucky to hit on Chris Horton last year.... damn.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I guess the part where you say we already have capable players at end is where we disagree. Hatcher is on his last leg to show anything. The promise is nearly worn out. It's this year or the highway for him. Bowen is a capable backup... same with Spears.

If we can't get Igor, I wouldn't mind looking at CJ Mosley who was released.

And as for having a 2nd round S start for us... I'm perfectly fine with that. Even a 3rd or 4th rounder could work without scaring me too much. The key is hitting on the selection. ...I know that's easier said than done. Possible though. Washington was so lucky to hit on Chris Horton last year.... damn.
There is risk involved in both ways...but, I'd rather have Bowen and Hatcher battling it out then having all our eggs in one basket with a rookie back in coverage. Bowen was actually a fairly consistant guy last year and Hacther/Gilbert were actually very similar prospects. I wouldnt doubt one could emerge for us. Oh what an interesting off-season this is becoming. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
There is risk involved in both ways...but, I'd rather have Bowen and Hatcher battling it out then having all our eggs in one basket with a rookie back in coverage. Bowen was actually a fairly consistant guy last year and Hacther/Gilbert were actually very similar prospects. I wouldnt doubt one could emerge for us. Oh what an interesting off-season this is becoming. haha.
Sure is. Jerry always knows how to make headlines... :D

At least we know Jerry is looking to spend at least some money..
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

gafyobop smells like sex panther.

TO and Roy Williams in ONE DAY!!!!!!!

I am so deliriously happy. Like a giant dump.
gafyobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafyobop View Post
TO and Roy Williams in ONE DAY!!!!!!!

I am so deliriously happy. Like a giant dump.
I'm sure you are. Now who are you going to complain about...:roll:

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I'm sure you are. Now who are you going to complain about...:roll:
LOLOLOLOLOL. I guess Jones is not as silly and superficial as I thought. Stubborn oh yes but not completely silly.

Logic, reason and nuance have seemingly been invited back into Valley Ranch. Let us hope it stays for a long time.

We shall see when draft time comes if they address NT, MLB and S as well as OL. Same draft time needs of the last three years.

If that is all Jones does we can confirm at least one off season where the moves "made sense."
Old 03-05-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOL. I guess Jones is not as silly and superficial as I thought. Stubborn oh yes but not completely silly.

Logic, reason and nuance have seemingly been invited back into Valley Ranch. Let us hope it stays for a long time.

We shall see when draft time comes if they address NT, MLB and S as well as OL.

If that is all Jones does we can confirm at least one off season where the moves "made sense."
NT is arguable...we could use some depth behind Jay but, we're obviously not moving Jay to end now that we have interest in Olshansky. Middle to late round depth at the position is more likely...someone to compete with Siavii.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

Quote:
NT is arguable...we could use some depth behind Jay but, we're obviously not moving Jay to end now that we have interest in Olshansky. Middle to late round depth at the position is more likely...someone to compete with Siavii.
Jay Ratliff is not a great 3-4 NT regardless of what anyone says at the Ranch.

Can he play it right, sure, and pretty damn good but he is a SUPER STAR 3-4 DE if they would have the courage to do so.

I would rather get stouter on the run with a big NT, lighter and faster at the MLB spot while surrendering NT penetration and MLB bulk.

I also think you get so much more when you put your athletes towards the edge. Hatcher, Ware, Spencer, Ratliff coming off the edge with a NT who can hold the point?????

I dunno, I just think it much better. Either way, good day.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:20 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK, it's true. The Dallas Cowboys have definitively talked to Orlando Scandrick about playing some free safety this season. The word is that in certain packages Scandrick will play free safety and that Ken Hamlin will be moving over to the strong safety position.

I have this information from a source that is close to the Cowboys and I believe that it is absolutely accurate. It's not sure yet whether it will be a full-time move or only in some of the new packages on defense the Cowboys are installing. But believe it, they have already discussed this with Scandrick and they are planning to do it.

per BTB

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:29 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

You bring up some valid points but, Ratliff at NT brings something not seen in most 3-4's. It really is an advantage, he's remarkable in his role...and given our one gap scheme, his pressure up the middle is invaluable. Zach Thomas was one of the primary reasons why our defense started to fall apart down the stretch. He was worn down and constantly on his ass. He was pancaked on both of the Ravens big TD runs. Brooking, while not a big upgrade, brings familiarity and a little more youth (not much, I know)...he should be better in the role. We obviously could use an ILB who excels in coverage because, Brooking is greatly lacking here but again, I'm getting beside the point. Our team doesnt have a problem getting after the QB...this defense was playing at a very high level for a good string and carrying this team. You hear a lot of crap about inconsistant pass rush but, any team would love our pass rush. Everyone knows sacks arent everything but, you obviously have to have a pretty damn good pass rush to rack up a league best 59 sacks...I mean seriously are you kidding me? That is outstanding. With our offensive inconsistencies this defense was on the field way too often...hopefully, with more focus on running the ball, we can keep these guys fresh. The moves we made in the last few days should really end up helping us in more ways than one. Right now, Ratliff at the Nose is not a problem at all, quite the contrary in fact. To drop an overused cliche...If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-05-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

If Rafeal Vala wrote that on BTB I don't trust it.

That guy is full of ****. He has no in's with the organization, he's just a Blogger. I've read his articles on numerous occasions and they are often filled with errors, whether it has to do with a player, a certain play, or the type of defense we were running.

He loves the smell of his own farts. The guy has no better idea on what is going on with the team than we do. He's just another above average fan.

EDIT: Just went to the site and saw that Grizz wrote that. I would say he's got more credibility, although I'm still not sure what sources he could have that are close to the Cowboys. He spent training camp in the stands with the rest of the average fans, he couldn't even get media clearance to be on the field. So I would take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Burns336 : 03-05-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jay Ratliff is not a great 3-4 NT regardless of what anyone says at the Ranch.

Can he play it right, sure, and pretty damn good but he is a SUPER STAR 3-4 DE if they would have the courage to do so.

I would rather get stouter on the run with a big NT, lighter and faster at the MLB spot while surrendering NT penetration and MLB bulk.

I also think you get so much more when you put your athletes towards the edge. Hatcher, Ware, Spencer, Ratliff coming off the edge with a NT who can hold the point?????

I dunno, I just think it much better. Either way, good day.

while I think that a big NT is optimal, I don't think that there is anybody currently available that would be an improvement over Rat at NT.
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What about this tought?

What do you think about Marion for Boldin?

There could be cap implications that would make this unlikely but just thinking out loud.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
What about this tought?

What do you think about Marion for Boldin?

There could be cap implications that would make this unlikely but just thinking out loud.
Nope. Don't like it. We don't need a replacement for TO. We simply need an unselfish complimentary receiver. Boldin is not that guy. Roy is selfish enough... I wouldn't be surprised to see him being a cry baby if balls aren't thrown his way enough. I mean let's be real. He's always been that way.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nope. Don't like it. We don't need a replacement for TO. We simply need an unselfish complimentary receiver. Boldin is not that guy. Roy is selfish enough... I wouldn't be surprised to see him being a cry baby if balls aren't thrown his way enough. I mean let's be real. He's always been that way.
If all this just happened a day earlier, a guy like Lavernaus Coles would of been perfect.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If all this just happened a day earlier, a guy like Lavernaus Coles would of been perfect.
We don't have money for him... I worry about his lengthy injury history. The guy plays the game hard... too hard. It's what I like about him though.

I'm tellin ya guys... Brandon Tate in Round 4. Make it happen Jerry!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
gafyobop
Rookie

Quote:
We don't have money for him... I worry about his lengthy injury history. The guy plays the game hard... too hard. It's what I like about him though.

I'm tellin ya guys... Brandon Tate in Round 4. Make it happen Jerry!
I think a guy like Tate in 4 is a steal.

He plays big.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even go to BTB anymore since Grizz picked up extra writers...he didn't progress at all and SBnation is a site we could write on if we wanted. He definately doesn't have inside sources.

Lets think this one logically...Scandrick...who was money in our inside packages all year gets moved to safety....we have **** for depth now behind him....and this draft class isn't a great CB class....seems almost boom/bust.

Maybe I'm stubborn...but a player that shows that type of progession in one year doesn't deserve to be moved.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I don't even go to BTB anymore since Grizz picked up extra writers...he didn't progress at all and SBnation is a site we could write on if we wanted. He definately doesn't have inside sources.

Lets think this one logically...Scandrick...who was money in our inside packages all year gets moved to safety....we have **** for depth now behind him....and this draft class isn't a great CB class....seems almost boom/bust.

Maybe I'm stubborn...but a player that shows that type of progession in one year doesn't deserve to be moved.
No I fully agree with you... Stupid move to try and take Scandrick out of a position he excelled in last year. Do we really want Alan Ball in the slot? We'll get killed all day. He's risky enough as the #4 guy. If any of the cb's will be tried out there, why not him?

I also agree with BTB going down the shitter. The first crop of writers Grizz added were crap. Always writing short stories with no real analysis. These new guys he has are also crap, the only difference is that Rafeal Vela overdoes the analysis and acts like a complete know it all.

It's evident to me that he is one of those "my **** dont stink" bloggers, who thinks he's a lot smarter and more knowledgeable about the game than he actually is. He is consistently posting ideas that we have been kicking around here for months. He brings up names of guys with falling stock in the draft and overrates them constantly... just a bunch of dumb thoughts.

For example, the 3-3-5 or 46 variations we were running that BBD was all hyped about was Vela's focal piece a few weeks ago. We had that broken down by mid season last year.

Anyway, If I wanted to take the time to do research and check my grammer, I could be one of the writers for BTB (and I don't know **** compared to quite a few people in here). It's just a lot better to come in here and throw out opinions and ideas and read what draft/nfl savvy people think about different issues.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we were to get any receiver, I hope it would be Heyward Bey. I'm dreaming though lol.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the best cowboys board on the net....no doubt about it...even paid subscription to scout was a joke.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 10:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
OK, it's true. The Dallas Cowboys have definitively talked to Orlando Scandrick about playing some free safety this season. The word is that in certain packages Scandrick will play free safety and that Ken Hamlin will be moving over to the strong safety position.

I have this information from a source that is close to the Cowboys and I believe that it is absolutely accurate. It's not sure yet whether it will be a full-time move or only in some of the new packages on defense the Cowboys are installing. But believe it, they have already discussed this with Scandrick and they are planning to do it.

per BTB

I heard this somewhere else, was pretty shocked...Don't see why you wanna move a guy was played so well at Corner in his rookie year, but maybe they see something in him that means he can make the move and be a very good starter...Then were still VERY thin with only two decent corners if we make that happen and I don't want a rookie corner in our slot formations, I think a rookie safety would fare better with 3 very good man coverage corners and some pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The only tiny bit of logic behind this is the fact that we'd be able to find a nickel/dime corner later in the draft than a starting safety....but thats IT.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
This is the best cowboys board on the net....no doubt about it...even paid subscription to scout was a joke.
I really appreciate the opinions/knowledge/news that is shared here. We all bring something different, but we're still able to express things maturely and passionately at the same time. Best board on the net because of the people here. I've said this before... but we could honestly form a clan and attack any other Cowboys board on the net and make them look like idiodic homers if we wanted to. *I admit that sounded a g ay. lmao who cares.

Last edited by D-Unit : 03-06-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I really appreciate the opinions/knowledge/news that is shared here. We all bring something different, but we're still able to express things maturely and passionately at the same time. Best board on the net because of the people here. I've said this before... but we could honestly form a clan and attack any other Cowboys board on the net and make them look like idiodic homers if we wanted to.
I'm totally behind this. I know I've talked about it in the past...but the redsox have a board where members have to apply like a job just to get in and be able to post. I honestly thought that it would be great to start one of them up. We would probably still have guys like kwhy and lsu and dmw posting had we been able to control who posts.

Designs by me
Quote: