Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-10-2009, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edit: Just read the other thread. I was about 3 hours late :P.

Last edited by Paul : 03-10-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a good player. Very good athlete. Has some ballhawking ability (4 INTs last year, I think). NOt great, but clearly the 2nd best safety we have on the roster. I would be very comfortable with he and Hamlin starting next year.

We still need to draft a safety, but it gives us some flexibility in that we don't have to draft any position in any particular area of the draft. We have several areas of need so we can just grab the BPA within one of those 4 or 5 areas of need.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if any of you saw it...but there is a really good post in the forums about compensatory picks projections. I'd say he is pretty spot on...looks like we'll have a 5 and 6 or two 6ths.

Not great...but that will allow us to you our 4 picks in those rounds as ammo if we so choose to do. Remember we can't trade the actual compensation picks.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 AM    (permalink
Harmonykor
Rookie

Harmonykor hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default The Cowboys should sign free agent CB Ken Lucas!

Panthers release starting CB Lucas in cap move
Print By MIKE CRANSTON, AP Sports Writer Mike Cranston, Ap Sports Writer The Carolina Panthers have released starting cornerback Ken Lucas in a move that clears about $2.3 million in salary-cap space. The Panthers had been trying to work out a trade for the veteran, but Lucas vetoed a deal to the Detroit Lions last month and the Panthers on Wednesday cut him loose after he struggled late last season.

The Panthers signed Lucas to a six-year, $36 million free-agent deal in 2005 and he started 49 of 50 games with 13 interceptions. But Lucas was burned on several occasions, and the Panthers appear poised to promote No. 3 cornerback Richard Marshall to the starting job opposite Chris Gamble.

Last edited by Harmonykor : 03-12-2009 at 12:42 AM. Reason: changes
Harmonykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Getting Lucas wouldn't be bad if he came extra cheap. He wouldn't be a bad experience guy to have as the 4th corner. I prefer getting someone much younger though. it would be nice to have a guy that can play decent in the Nickel if Newman goes down again. I have the utmost faith in Scandrick and Jenkins. Those guys will be something special for awhile. Maybe the Cowboys can get another Scandrick type find late in this draft.
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We have enough youth at corner imo...I want a grizzled vet that won't mind being a 4th corner in case an injury presents itself.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jenkins and Scandrick era (well hopefully) is about to begin. You would think fans would be excited for it. Not wanting to bring in more veterans to impede their growth.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
The Jenkins and Scandrick era (well hopefully) is about to begin. You would think fans would be excited for it. Not wanting to bring in more veterans to impede their growth.
I hope that isn't directed at me...and it was directed at the first time poster.

I'm hoping Chris McAlister is a post or pre draft acquistion....because Shawn Springs got picked up right away...something must be up.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-12-2009, 10:57 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I hope that isn't directed at me...and it was directed at the first time poster.

I'm hoping Chris McAlister is a post or pre draft acquistion....because Shawn Springs got picked up right away...something must be up.
Not directed at you...but, there is no way McAllister would sign to be a 4th corner. No chance of that happening at all.

and Lucas would not be a 4th corner either to the poster above. He can still play. A 4th corner is pretty much just a special teams player. Lucas can still start in this league...he'll go to a team that will actually give him a chance to do so.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's about it for me. Lucas is a fine player and all, but you've got two young 2nd year players, coming off solid rookie campaigns, who have earned the chance for more time on the field. Guys who in all likelihood will be the future starting corners for this team. Bringing in guy like Lucas would only slow down there progress.

That said some depth would be nice. I'm not opposed to a guy in the 4th-6th range to come in, but as Thule said, a veteran would be ideal.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Yeah, we obviously need depth but, guys like Lucas, Mcallister, Bly they're not depth guys. They're starters or at worst relegated to nickel situations as 3rd corners on the depth chart. The 4th and 5th corner spots are reserved for players who will make their money on special teams. A lot of the time these positions arent even filled or locked in until after final cuts. Joey Thomas, Nate Jones, Jacque Reeves, and several others were all battling for those two spots a few years ago.

I'm really holding out hope that we could land my boy, the Captain, in this draft. It's a real possibility. Provides solid depth and can return kicks.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
We have enough youth at corner imo...I want a grizzled vet that won't mind being a 4th corner in case an injury presents itself.
Exactly my thoughts...anyone really ready to depend on Allen Ball? Do we want to go through another season with a guy like "Free-First Down Lance Frazier" (as kwhy once dubbed him) forced to be our second corner because of injuries?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ888 View Post
Exactly my thoughts...anyone really ready to depend on Allen Ball? Do we want to go through another season with a guy like "Free-First Down Lance Frazier" (as kwhy once dubbed him) forced to be our second corner because of injuries?
Wow I haven't heard Frazier's name in forever...nice name pull....brings back memories....

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I just had a revelation. It makes 0 sense...but for some reason I think it still might happen.

Scandrick to Safety talk sounded stupid to "everyone"....I didn't see one person who said it made sense really....to move a player that progressed that much into that position.

Then it was discussed that maybe Wade wanted to get his best players on the field.

Remember the last two years we have implimented a hybrid position into our defense. I call it the robber or rover....but as I start to think about this I think wow..maybe someone screwed up the story...just like all the two years before when people talked about Roy being the "safety" when he was in fact the rover in the nickel/dime packages. Same thing went for Henry last year...he wasn't a corner or safety he was a rover.

Now here is what I don't get....first of all we don't have 4 corners that can play imo...we only have 3 with a underachieving Ball at this point.

Then I came to the realization that we always had a "big db" playing the rover position...who would fill that role in dallas?

Being that it was scandricks name that was thrown around...you'd have to assume if this hypothesis is right that he was the guy tagged...but he is far from a "big db". And lets be honest....Kevin Boss vs. Orlando Scandrick doesn't really favor our side imo.

Only time I could ever see that working out would be Scandrick vs. Westbrook outta the backfield...that would seem to favor us...however Portis/Jacobs really don't run a lot of passes.

I'm just trying to be hypothetical here...If for instance we brought in another DB early in the draft...can we think of a logical setup that would make sense to have Scandrick in the robber/rover position.

Here is the best I can come up with.

Strict passing situations we "could" use this formation...but this is like 3rd and 15 and it just doesn't mesh for me.

Deep safety = Courtney Brown....IK I hate the guy too...but he is just fine in the deep center...talking the way Washington plays Laron Landry deep.
RCB - Jenkins
LCB - Rookie?
Nickel - Newman
Rover - Scandrick
Safety - Hamlin/Sans....not sure who would be the better fit...I'm thinking Hamlin just because of the financials.

That is honestly the best situation I could think of and it looks terrible. But thats the only way I can think the Scandrick talk was true.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 PM    (permalink
JJJ888
TRIPS
All-Pro

JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.JJJ888 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I just had a revelation. It makes 0 sense...but for some reason I think it still might happen.

Scandrick to Safety talk sounded stupid to "everyone"....I didn't see one person who said it made sense really....to move a player that progressed that much into that position.

Then it was discussed that maybe Wade wanted to get his best players on the field.

Remember the last two years we have implimented a hybrid position into our defense. I call it the robber or rover....but as I start to think about this I think wow..maybe someone screwed up the story...just like all the two years before when people talked about Roy being the "safety" when he was in fact the rover in the nickel/dime packages. Same thing went for Henry last year...he wasn't a corner or safety he was a rover.
The thing I was thinking about with respect to the Scandrick to safety move was the idea where Parcells often came out in 3 corner, 1 safety packages so we could keep our piss-poor free safeties off the field. That to me seems more realistic than Scandrick as the rover.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Deep safety = Courtney Brown....IK I hate the guy too...but he is just fine in the deep center...talking the way Washington plays Laron Landry deep.
RCB - Jenkins
LCB - Rookie?
Nickel - Newman
Rover - Scandrick
Safety - Hamlin/Sans....not sure who would be the better fit...I'm thinking Hamlin just because of the financials.

That is honestly the best situation I could think of and it looks terrible. But thats the only way I can think the Scandrick talk was true.
IMO Watkins (the prospect) makes the ideal rover/TE spy guy. I think that's why he was drafted in the first place, to be the possible counter to the pass threats at TE we're seeing. He just hasn't blossomed as hoped.

If everyone had panned out:

4-2-5
Ware - Rat - Hatcher - Spencer
Carpenter - James (I hate James as a passing downs LB, but he's the dude with the headset)
Newman / Jenkins as corners
Hamlin - Sensabaugh - Watkins

4-2-5
Possible reality we may see this season:
Ware - Rat - Hatcher (or new draftee) - Ellis
Brooking (or new draftee) - James
Newman / Jenkins
Hamlin - Sensabaugh (or new draftee) - Scandrick

---------------------------------------------------------

IMO the formation doesn't really work with current personnel... also this is just a 2 corner look. You drop a linebacker and add a corner and you're looking at basically the same thing.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:51 AM    (permalink
FearTheSpur
Rookie

FearTheSpur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Yeah, we obviously need depth but, guys like Lucas, Mcallister, Bly they're not depth guys. They're starters or at worst relegated to nickel situations as 3rd corners on the depth chart. The 4th and 5th corner spots are reserved for players who will make their money on special teams. A lot of the time these positions arent even filled or locked in until after final cuts. Joey Thomas, Nate Jones, Jacque Reeves, and several others were all battling for those two spots a few years ago.

I'm really holding out hope that we could land my boy, the Captain, in this draft. It's a real possibility. Provides solid depth and can return kicks.
I've watched Captain play the past few years and he is a great player, but your not worried about his cramp situation? He's had this problem the past couple of years. And this past season he really didn't play too well. I'd love for the Cowboys to get him and he return to his former self though.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheSpur View Post
I've watched Captain play the past few years and he is a great player, but your not worried about his cramp situation? He's had this problem the past couple of years. And this past season he really didn't play too well. I'd love for the Cowboys to get him and he return to his former self though.
I have no worries with Captain. Cap shouldnt even have gone pro, his foot obviously wasnt fully healthy this season. He was struggling with it all year...he was still playing with a noticeable limp. He didnt do himself any favors coming out early. Just a year ago, he was the best corner in the SEC. When healthy, that is exactly what he is, he is a fantastic player. As for the cramps, we saw a major increase in them for him, and Kenny but, this was really due in large part to their off-season injuries. Neither will be long term problems for either player.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-15-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
FearTheSpur
Rookie

FearTheSpur hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I have no worries with Captain. Cap shouldnt even have gone pro, his foot obviously wasnt fully healthy this season. He was struggling with it all year...he was still playing with a noticeable limp. He didnt do himself any favors coming out early. Just a year ago, he was the best corner in the SEC. When healthy, that is exactly what he is, he is a fantastic player. As for the cramps, we saw a major increase in them for him, and Kenny but, this was really due in large part to their off-season injuries. Neither will be long term problems for either player.
I hope so.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:47 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I've been sidetracked at work today...so i decided to check out some old cowboys boards I used to frequent. I ran across some interesting rumors.

Rumors have it that we are quietly shopping Greg Ellis. If the move gets done and Lucas is still on the market we are going to add him.

I've also heard that he may be trading leverage on draft day to move up a bit. Makes sense...and it'd free up some room.

But the lucas thing really surprises me...I guess they want to have him play our nickel corner if he comes here...which would then make the Scandrick move final...interesting to say the least...

But like I said I don't think the deal will get done unless Ellis is moved first.

Something to think about.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Also the Matt Jones connections are starting to go wild at DMN.

This is pretty logical to me....a deep threat with size.

Personally would rather go in and draft a guy with...no priors and return ability...but I guess we could do worse.

I think it's going to happen.

(funny tidbit) I wanted Jones back in the day....can't remember if it was D or not...but was very anti Jones.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

NO way. Matt Jones is worse than Pacman. The guy has drug and drinking problems.

Adding one troubled Jaguar is enough...Jerry seems to have atleast changed a little bit. A Jones addition would just be another set back. He has to learn eventually...hopefully he has, after all the Pacman trouble...among other things. ugh.

and you could color me gullable if you like but, I believe Jones when he says he wants to see what Austin and Hurd can do. He's been mentioning both names a lot frequently. He's always been high on Hurd and he obviously really likes what Austin brings to the table these days.

Cocaine, marijuana, multiple DUI's...Jones shouldnt even be on a football field right now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-16-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
NO way. Matt Jones is worse than Pacman. The guy has a drug problem.

Adding one troubled Jaguar is enough...Jerry seems to have atleast changed a little bit. A Jones addition would just be another set back. He has to learn eventually...hopefully he has, after all the Pacman trouble...among other things. ugh.

and you could color me gullable if you like but, I believe Jones when he says he wants to see what Austin and Hurd can do. He's been mentioning both names a lot frequently. He's always been high on Hurd and he obviously really likes what Austin brings to the table these days.
Maybe I've read too much DMN today....but the possibility is out there...and Jerry hasn't exactly been truthful this offseason.

Like I said I don't want it...but I could see it happening at the same time

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe I've read too much DMN today....but the possibility is out there...and Jerry hasn't exactly been truthful this offseason.

Like I said I don't want it...but I could see it happening at the same time
I would say its 80% we pick him up. Jerry has a huge man crush on this kid.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Will Newman shut his pie hole?

It's about time someone called out Newman. He was out of line and when did he "earn" the right to throw his teammates under the bus.

Oh, it's all the All-Pro teams he's been...oh, um

Yeah, it's all the pro-bowls he's been...oh, err

It's all those INTs he's racked up over...wait, um

Newman needs to focus on earning that fat contract he just signed.

I'm not crazy about some of the stuff surrounding Tony right now, but Newman was way out of line.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote