Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-17-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I dont even know why Newman wants to be all talkative now. He's just causing more problems. Why even call out the blitzing schemes and such? We lead the league in sacks by a fairly large margin. He said, they were calling our blitzers out at the line. Well um, they obviously didnt stop them, regardless if they were or not. I dont know exactly what is fueling or motivating Newman right now but, I honestly dont think it's in the best interest of the team to be throwing all this out to the media. This is what Ellis does when he is a little disgruntled. I dont know what Newman's deal is right now.
Newman has always spoke his mind when asked....he always speaks the truth it's just the guy he is. I think those shots were at Stewart myself...but he doesn't elaborate.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Newman has always spoke his mind when asked....he always speaks the truth it's just the guy he is. I think those shots were at Stewart myself...but he doesn't elaborate.
Meh...like I said in my edit. He's probably not trying to cause problems but, it would be nice if we could actually go a little while without someone new causing us more problems or drama. Newman's a good guy but, you dont want him calling out players or coaching schemes to the media. We've seen enough of that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Meh...like I said in my edit. He's probably not trying to cause problems but, it would be nice if we could actually go a little while without someone new causing us more problems or drama. Newman's a good guy but, you dont want him calling out players or coaching schemes to the media. We've seen enough of that.
I agree....the "no speak" rule has been great...even if the news isn't out there as a fan...because the media can make any comment mean anything they want and spin it. If noone is speaking noone can cause drama. Oh well...I don't see Romo or Phillips getting ruffled feathers from this...

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Agree with what this guy says. Also, I'm glad to see this kind of thing in the media from a Cowboy. Usually everyone stays quiet in the offseason except Greg Ellis, and all he wants to talk about is how bad the organization is treating him.

So for Newman to be talking frankly about the team multiple times this offseason speaks to me about where he is as a leader on the team. I feel like Newman is speaking for a large contingent of that team, or he wouldn't be saying it at all, and he's using the media to call out things that need to be called out. People need to be held accountable, and if everyone can't be gotten on the same page privately, maybe publicly challenging someone is the next step.

I don't have a problem with Newman saying essentially, Romo could be more focused. He's telling the truth. He's not saying "I don't think Romo can make NFL-type throws" or "This game moves too fast for him". Newman knows, like we all do that Romo is talented and smart enough to play the game. But his dedication and focus wavered very publicly - to the detriment of the entire team.

I wonder where Bradie James stands on all of this as the consensus captain of the D.

Absolute BS!

It is not Newman's place to criticize anyone, especially Romo.

Newman needs to focus on staying healthy for an etire season and not getting his ass torched by Santana Moss or S. Holmes.

You just don't do that. Romo has done nothing to deserve that.

Name the time Romo has ever said anything negative about a teammate.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Newman shut down Moss in their second meeting...

And his words were twisted...he said that the media had an affect on him not that his relationship affected his play.

Your taking the media seriously here imo.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In fact, the DMN blog has a couple of posts today about how Newman has called out the defensive scheme and the numbers bear out that his criticism is unwarranted.

Newman is coming across as a guy that is not a team leader, but a little ***** that shoots off his mouth before he thinks.

Again, don't you think a guy needs to do something before he shoots off his mouth like he's Ray Lewis?

I think the fact that he came out with a quote the next day praising Romo tells you that he realized that he went too far.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Newman shut down Moss in their second meeting...

And his words were twisted...he said that the media had an affect on him not that his relationship affected his play.

Your taking the media seriously here imo.
Dude, did you watch the video?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
In fact, the DMN blog has a couple of posts today about how Newman has called out the defensive scheme and the numbers bear out that his criticism is unwarranted.

Newman is coming across as a guy that is not a team leader, but a little ***** that shoots off his mouth before he thinks.

Again, don't you think a guy needs to do something before he shoots off his mouth like he's Ray Lewis?

I think the fact that he came out with a quote the next day praising Romo tells you that he realized that he went too far.
He took stabs at the media and at Stewart....not Romo or Wade imo....but i guess you could see it the other way.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Dude, did you watch the video?
yes. Do you honestly think that Newman thinks Tony Romo doesn't work hard enough to win? Not for one second do I believe that.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I watched the video, and when he was speaking he didn't seem like he was just free flowing, off the cuff. That was my impression, and up for interpretation.

Newman is considered one of the best corners in the game when healthy by many. What more does he need to do on the field to earn your respect?

I think he came back praising him because he knew the media was focused on making a controversy out of it.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Could you quote the exact part(s) that has you so upset? I don't really see what's got you so boiling, I think your reading too much into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Muchado about nothin'.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Newman's reply: "I think that with the situation Tony was in, I think that kind of maybe hurt him a little bit - being a first-year starter, then you have the limelight with his girlfriend and situations of that nature. It's going to take away from him being a quarterback, being a successful quarterback. He won 13 games and everything was perfect, but now after this past season, it was, 'Is he doing enough for the team? Is he working hard enough? You know, he's got this girlfriend, so ...' I think that once he inherited the starting quarterback job and his relationship got into the national media attention, I think that that was something that definitely hurt and took away from Tony Romo being a great quarterback."

That is pretty clear to me. Tony didn't work hard enough because he's enjoying the limelight too much with his celebrity girlfriend.

The issue is not whether he is right or not. I don't agree with the facts, but I could understand if someone has that opinion.

What is wrong is that you just don't do that to a teammate. If you were a future HOFer, you could get away with that, but a guy like Newman that can't stay healthy and has a ways to go to earn his big new contract, needs to keep his mouth shut and work.

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 03-17-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:56 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
I don't doubt that you guys may have calling it all night, but did it work prior to the int? What were the results to that? You guys had the lead at throughout so something was working until the wheels came off? How do you know Romo made the right read on that play? What if like I pmed you or was it D-unit, that he just disgarded his read and just throw it to someone he thought was open? Didn't TO get mad because he was wide open? I actually remember watching that game, and they showed TO flip out on someone because he was open. This was the Steelers game I am talking about. What did the position coaches upstars tell Jason G.? Did they tell him to run the play because of prior success? It may be Garrett's fault, and if it is, then you're right, but my point is that in football there is always other variables. And sadly, fans are not privy to all of that stuff, but the weird thing is, in the fan culture of football, bashing or praising players and coaches without having ALL the information is the norm. In my opinion it's weird, and interesting at the same time.
I would like to add to the rest of our conversation. You made a comment towards a fellow Giant fan voicing that "how do you know that it's not the guys upstairs" ect. As far as I'm aware the guys upstairs in Dallas didn't change. Sparano was the reason for Garrett's success....when he left Garrett was lost. Now we had a few new positional coaches but they were down on the field not up in the box. Hopefully you know what I'm getting at.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I would like to add to the rest of our conversation. You made a comment towards a fellow Giant fan voicing that "how do you know that it's not the guys upstairs" ect. As far as I'm aware the guys upstairs in Dallas didn't change. Sparano was the reason for Garrett's success....when he left Garrett was lost. Now we had a few new positional coaches but they were down on the field not up in the box. Hopefully you know what I'm getting at.
Good call on Sparano. My biggest gripe with the offseason is keeping Garrett.

I wouldn't have kept Wade, but he's got one more year and Jerry didn't want to change the head guy all too often. Fair enough. I don't agree, but I see why.

Getting rid of T.O. time will tell. I wouldn't have done it because of the cap hit, but he was getting old and demands the ball too much. We'll see what happens, but it's not that bad a move when you still have Tony, Witten, and other pieces of the offense.

Henry for Kitna was a bad move, but how many games will be lost because of it? It's not a team killer.

But keeping Garrett was just terrible. With all the talent at his fingertips he still came up with a stagnant gameplan. His routes had no variation. It's like either all receivers go deep, or they do the same posts. He got too streaky with the run. At times he'd completely abandon it, and then at times he'd lean on it too hard. Then there's the playcalling. I have no idea how many times I called Garrett's plays myself last year. Too often I called a right toss on 3rd and 2. Too often I saw opposing team captains fly to where the ball will be like they guessed the playbook on Tecmo Bowl. Garrett IMO hurts the team way too much to stick around. I know you don't change coordinators all willy nily, but his lack of variation was too painful last season. Turrible turrible.

But of course that's why I'm a fan and not in the front office. I'd like to think that I'm a football expert, but me getting weekly picks right is alot different from building a team. So for all we know Garrett could become Tom Moore next year.

*crosses fingers*
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone heard this rumor about signing Lucas as well as trading Ellis?

Quote:
Cowboys close to signing Lucas?
Cowboys on the Verge of signing Veteran CB

There's some talk that Ken Lucas is close to a deal with the Cowboys?

Anybody hearing about this?

Mike Francesa and Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo. from Mad dog sports is saying that the Cowboys will sign Lucas as a Starter' Nickel.

They also have said that the Cowboys are quietly shopping Greg Ellis for picks or a package with picks to gain a high pick.

The one deal that they said would work for the Cowboys would be with the Detroit Lions for pick #33.

Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like shopping Ellis, but only for the right price. Who would they take with the picks they get? He's still a serviceable pass rusher so they better get someone that can contribute to replace someone like that. The only reason why I'm in favor of getting rid of him is to see what Spencer can do. He's shown some nice flashes here and there, but I feel that Ellis kind of robs him of reps sometimes because it's hard not to start a guy like Ellis. I wouldn't mind Spencer getting more grooming for one more year, but I think that the microwave society the NFL is demands that Spencer do something now. Especially with Ware on the other side. Ware has been phenomenal in his short time here, and that only puts more pressure on Spencer to succeed.

With Ellis gone then Spencer can learn more on the field, and get more productive. I think Spencer is a guy that needs more on field time to get into a "groove." Maybe if he gets the whole season to start he'd rack up more sacks and TFls as the season goes along. It's hard to get rid of a guy that'll give you 8-12 sacks guaranteed in Ellis though. That's why I think if they trade him it better be for the right guy. The pick they get better go towards someone who can develop into something, and not a guy who is a project.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Only an idiot would give up #33 overall for Ellis. Highway robbery.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Im_a_Romosexual
Pro Bowler

Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Im_a_Romosexual is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I was thinking 51 and Ellis for 33.

maybe add one 4th
Im_a_Romosexual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Lol I'm pretty sure we would be using Ellis and a mid round pick to acquire 33, he would be just used in a package.

Quote:
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I didn't know what that was about so yeah, I guess that makes better sense now.

...but I'm sure there is not once ounce of bias behind his defense of Garrett is there... :D
Alittle bias, yes, lol. Moth knows as well out of you dallas fans since I pmed him originally. But i will do alot more dallas breakdowns, that's if I get the time, if you both get my drift! : ) Ideally I would like to not have time, but if I happen to, then I will focus on what you guys run and document every down and distance and playcall like I do for the giants.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Been thinking about the WR position.

I think Austin is going to continue to grow and Hurd is solid.

The guy that I think can be a real wildcard is Stanback. It would be so awesome if he would breakout and be the deep threat we hoped he would. He's got serious wheels and has shown some flashes in pre-season. And he's not just a straight line speed guy; he's is very good in the open field. Go back and watch some of his youtube from college. Makes you wonder if he could return punts. Here's hoping he can stay healthy and make some plays.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-20-2009, 04:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Health is the big question mark. What if we have a repeat of last year? Stanback, Austin, and Hurd all missed time. A repeat would be disastrous.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Yeah, that would be a big problem. Of course, the key would be the timing. If they all missed time, but it wasn't all at the same time, we could probably absorb that.

Stanback was pretty healthy in college so I'm just hoping it was some bad luck and he will be ready to go this year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 03-20-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I think last year was more of an aberration than anything, but I see what you're saying pocketaces. I think the years before of not suffering any major injuries just caught up to them. When was the last major injury suffered by the Cowboys before then? Greg Ellis in 2006? Then all of a sudden you lose Roy and Felix for the year in addition to Romo for 3 games, etc. Hopefully that won't happen again.