Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bottomline is Spears is the weak spot. Now it's not only him...however it all starts with him up front. There is a reason we go from 3rd overall in rush defense on the left side to the 28th on the right side.

If you don't think this needs to be upgraded we are looking at the same inconsistent defense that won't be able to get off the field AGAIN this year. This is a huge problem along with our WILB posititon....and must be sured up to have a legit shot at making it out of this brutal NFC East.

Good season...god I hope your not serious.

Some real stats for you

For some help breaking this down...here is the information before hand...feel free to skip over this to get to the stats.

Quote:
Teams are ranked according to Adjusted Line Yards. Based on regression analysis, the Adjusted Line Yards formula takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line based on the following percentages:

* Losses: 120% value
* 0-4 Yards: 100% value
* 5-10 Yards: 50% value
* 11+ Yards: 0% value

These numbers are then adjusted based on down, distance, and situation, and normalized so that the league average for Adjusted Line Yards per carry is the same as the league average for RB yards per carry (current baseline: 4.08). Defensive line stats (more accurately, defensive front seven stats) represent the performance of offensive lines against each defense, adjusted for the quality of offensive opponents. These stats are explained further here.

The following stats are not adjusted for opponent:

* RB Yards: Yards per carry by running backs against this defense, according to standard NFL numbers.
* 10+ Yards: Percentage of rushing yards against this team more than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. Represents yardage not reflected in Adjusted Line Yards stat. Teams are ranked from smallest number of 10+ Yards (#1) to largest number of 10+ Yards (#32).
* Power Success: Percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown. Also includes runs on first-and-goal or second-and-goal from the two-yard line or closer. This is the only statistic on this page that includes quarterbacks. Teams are ranked from lowest power success percentage allowed (#1) to highest power success percentage allowed (#32).
* Stuffed: Percentage of runs that result in (on first down) zero or negative gain or (on second through fourth down) less than one-fourth the yards needed for another first down. Ranked from most stuffs (#1) to fewest stuffs (#32).
NFL average in red
TEAM - DAL
Adj. Line Yards - 4.28
RB Yards - 4.41 4.25
Power Success - 74% 67%
Power Rank - 26
10+ Yards - 23% 19%
10+ Rank - 26
Stuffed - 25% 24%
Stuffed Rank - 10

Quote:
This second table lists each team's Adjusted Line Yards in each direction listed in official NFL play-by-play, along with rank among the 32 teams. Only five directions are listed because research so far shows no statistically significant difference between how well a team performs on runs listed middle, left guard, and right guard. These runs are from the perspective of the OFFENSE, so a run listed as LEFT TACKLE is actually at the RIGHT defensive end.
LEFT END
ALY -2.88 4.23
Rank - 3
LEFT TACKLE
ALY - 4.08 4.23
Rank - 12
MID/GUARD
ALY - 4.31 4.26
Rank - 18
RIGHT TACKLE
ALY - 4.81 4.17
Rank - 28
RIGHT END
ALY - 4.99 4.00
Rank - 28

Lastly...the percentage of rushes and where they went
LT- 15% 14%
Middle- 45% 50%
RT- 21% 14%

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty

Last edited by thule : 04-02-2009 at 12:13 AM.
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've said it before...The biggest reason they couldnt get off the field is because, of our offensive inconsistencies. Our opponents 3rd down conversion rates were actually not a problem. In fact, their conversion rates ranked near the bottom of the league. We were tied for 6th in this regard, which is a very good thing.

I dont know who you expect to take Spears spot this season. His starting for us again was very likely or almost a certainty since the end of last season. Canty's spot was the one in question, just because of his contract status. Guys like Gilbert or Hood are unlikely picks and any other end selection most likely wouldnt start over him. I even question whether Gilbert would start over him initially. Even Phillip Merling and Kentwan Balmer took a long while to break in. Especially in Balmer's case...he barely saw the field.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 04-01-2009 at 11:59 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:12 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My god...I am still soooo pissed about last season....

I am having a hard time getting motivated for the draft.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I've said it before...The biggest reason they couldnt get off the field is because, of our offensive inconsistencies. Our opponents 3rd down conversion rates were actually not a problem. In fact, their conversion rates ranked near the bottom of the league. We were tied for 6th in this regard, which is a very good thing.

I dont know who you expect to take Spears spot this season. His starting for us again was very likely or almost a certainty since the end of last season. Canty's spot was the one in question, just because of his contract status. Guys like Gilbert or Hood are unlikely picks and any other end selection most likely wouldnt start over him. I even question whether Gilbert would start over him initially. Even Phillip Merling and Kentwan Balmer took a long while to break in. Especially in Balmer's case...he barely saw the field.
I don't care who starts opposite of igor....the best player needs to play...the position needs to be addressed somewhere somehow someway....IDK if that is by drafting a guy in the 2nd or late on the 2nd day...my point is we are in the bottom half of the league in Adjusted Line Yards. We are in the bottom 4 teams in ALY when teams run at us to the left side of our defense.

This is one of the biggest problems we went into this offseason with. If this means moving up to draft a NT we feel can start from day one to move Ratliff over than so be it. If you feel that there is a DE in this draft that can outplay or get better results out of spears then go with it. I'm just saying this was the biggest problem on the team last year....not our offense imo. The left side of our defense was terrible from front to back....and the only thing we have done to change that this year is add Brooking and Sensy to our team...not exactly great hope imo.

Quote:
Spears finished 4th on the team in Qb hurries despite not playing on pasing downs. He was actually active in rushing the QB...and he had more tackles for loss than any of our defensive ends. Again, he actually had a good season last year. He's not perfert, not perfect by a long shot but, he has been good enough and you're doing a little bit of over critiquing because, while he hasnt been that 1st round talent, he did happen to put together a good year last year. You talk about 10+ yard gains and yet our rush defense wasn't even a major problem last year at all. Spears got us 35 tackles and our most tackles for loss from a two down player...yeah he may get collapsed upon now and then but no, it was not as glaring a problem you are making it out to be. However, I agree that he can be upgraded upon but, I dont see that happening through this draft. He's coming off a good year and he's most likely starting for us this upcoming season as well and that's just fine.
Where did you get the QB Hurries stat from?

good enough...that's not 28th in the league in stopping yards that the opposing team needs. That is below average....by almost a whopping 1 ALY.

So imo he didn't put together a good season last year...actually go as far to say that it was below average.

Rush defense wasn't a "major problem" however...for whatever reason teams didn't try to expose us on the left side. We were targetted 7% more on the right side but it shoulda been higher. Teams also RARELY ran to the outside on our left side and I can't quite figure that one out....unless maybe we played a safety down in that area to make up for the lack of abilility that side had shown on the inside.

28th in the league is a glaring problem MOTH...find me a bigger problem and I'll be surprised. Convince me that 28th in the league when teams rush off their RT isn't a glaring problem.

I'm not saying cut him...as someone else might say on these boards...but I am saying that it was arguably our biggest weakness last year...and it'd be nice to add some competition to the board...whether it's moving Ratliff out more (which I hate...because i don't think you move a pro bowler without the sure thing behind him but...) or bringing in a young guy who can challenge/perhaps wrestle the job away from him. I don't see any reason why Spears will have security this offseason...if it wasn't for injuries Hatcher would have had the job by the end of TC by the way reports were coming out.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Good season...god I hope your not serious.

Some real stats for you

For some help breaking this down...here is the information before hand...feel free to skip over this to get to the stats.

NFL average in red
TEAM - DAL
Adj. Line Yards - 4.28
RB Yards - 4.41 4.25
Power Success - 74% 67%
Power Rank - 26
10+ Yards - 23% 19%
10+ Rank - 26
Stuffed - 25% 24%
Stuffed Rank - 10

LEFT END
ALY -2.88 4.23
Rank - 3
LEFT TACKLE
ALY - 4.08 4.23
Rank - 12
MID/GUARD
ALY - 4.31 4.26
Rank - 18
RIGHT TACKLE
ALY - 4.81 4.17
Rank - 28
RIGHT END
ALY - 4.99 4.00
Rank - 28

Lastly...the percentage of rushes and where they went
LT- 15% 14%
Middle- 45% 50%
RT- 21% 14%
You're placing way too much blame on Spears. Do you have specific numbers when Spears is actually in the game? If you go to more conventional statistical break downs that actually break down Spears' specific stats...he had a good year. Fourth on the team in QB hurries and leading the D-Line in tackles for loss. Marcus isn't running guys down when beat, so the 35 tackles is a very good number for a player playing two downs and the hurries are fantastic. He was much more active and had a successful year. These numbers to the right side have not greatly effected anything either considering where we rank in rush defense. Spears actually did a good job of freeing up our Lbs...but, that didnt always help considering, Thomas was getting worse and older by the week and Ellis and oft-injured, Anthony Spencer were inconsistant against the rush. Spears hasnt been amazing or anything but, I'd certainly say he's coming off of his best season as a Cowboy. Now, I dont want this to make it seem like I'm a Spears lover because, i'm not but, he's really not that bad. And given our situation, he is more than likely starting again and honestly, that doesnt make me uneasy because, he did play well last season. He actually supplied the team with pressure and did his job in freeing up the Lbers. Helping us lead the league in sacks on the way. Solving our offensive woes and upgrading upon Thomas should pay dividends in the long run against the rush.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You're placing way too much blame on Spears. Do you have specific numbers when Spears is actually in the game? If you go to more conventional statistical break downs that actually break down Spears' specific stats...he had a good year. Fourth on the team in QB hurries and leading the D-Line in tackles for loss. Marcus isn't running guys down when beat, so the 35 tackles is a very good number for a player playing two downs and the hurries are fantastic. He was much more active and had a successful year. These numbers to the right side have not greatly effected anything either considering where we rank in rush defense. Spears actually did a good job of freeing up our Lbs...but, that didnt always help considering, Thomas was getting worse and older by the week and Ellis and oft-injured, Anthony Spencer were inconsistant against the rush. Spears hasnt been amazing or anything but, I'd certainly say he's coming off of his best season as a Cowboy. Now, I dont want this to make it seem like I'm a Spears lover because, i'm not but, he's really not that bad. And given our situation, he is more than likely starting again and honestly, that doesnt make me uneasy because, he did play well last season. He actually supplied the team with pressure and did his job in freeing up the Lbers. Helping us lead the league in sacks on the way. Solving our offensive woes and upgrading upon Thomas should pay dividends in the long run against the rush.
The thing is on offense we are trying addition by subtraction. Now maybe that works...but realistically we could have the same offense as last year....with a few different pieces...bottomline is we are going to have injuries....are we going to be able to overcome that on the offensive side of the ball this year...idk but we didn't last year.

now your telling me that we shouldn't worry uneasy about the weakest part of our team? I understand there really isn't a lot out there to upgrade...but hell I'd trade up and draft Brace and be done with it. This is coming out of someone who isn't even high on Brace as a prospect...yet i think that he'd offer more to our defense.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree....I don't think the stats I posted all 100% fall on spears...however I would be willing to give him atleast 50% of the blame which means something needs to be done about it....like I said whether it's a NT/DE we need to bring in someone who can add something to the competition. As good as i think Hatcher/Bowen are as players...i also realize that i may be overrated them as players due to the fact that I see more of them than most guys....but at the same time...if they didn't start last year....who's to say they can win the job this year....they both have had certainly plenty of time to prove to the coaches what they can do. I'm not saying they can't win the job outright...just saying that odds are against them...and adding a body to play a significant role in our defense to sure up that side needs to be done.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Where did you get the QB Hurries stat from?
Key stat: For the 2008 season, the Cowboys credited Spears with 16 quarterback pressures, which was the fourth-most on the team and easily surpassed Spears' previous career-high of six his rookie year.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ne...9CF93732300380

Quote:
28th in the league is a glaring problem MOTH...find me a bigger problem and I'll be surprised. Convince me that 28th in the league when teams rush off their RT isn't a glaring problem.
ugh...Football Outsiders is some Sabermetrics wannabe crap. Their findings are typically flawed but whatever. Spears isnt the only player on that side, nor is he the only end that plays on that side. Spears was freeing up Linebackers when he was in there...Thomas/Ellis/Spencer all struggled against the rush so, the blame cannot be placed all on Spears shoulders. Do we have year by year adjusted line yards to even get a suitable comparison between years? Way too many factors play into these things.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 04-02-2009 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:03 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't take a genius to know Spears sucks. I used to think he was a run stuffer... lol. I was a fool. A first round BUST. Another Bill Parcells BUST special. I still thank my lucky stars to this day that Parcells was pursuaded to agree with taking Ware at 12 over the guy he wanted to take at 12... Spears. Pretty sure that was Jeff Ireland's advice with Jerry having final say.

Spears sucks, Kenyon Coleman sucks, Stephen Bowen sucks.... I hate hearing MOTH say you don't need good DE's in the 3-4. I'm sure the Patriots felt like Richard Seymour was a waste of money spent at the position. bah ha. I'm definitely not going to agree that it was the offenses' fault for Spears being so bad. What a load...

Anyways... I'm hopeful Igor will raise his game now that he's reunited with Wade. ...and I hope our scouting department knows a helluva lot more than us that they can find a DE in the draft. ...and I really wouldn't mind moving Ratliff to DE (at least occassionally) so he won't get bulldozed as much trying to stuff the run. Our fans are quick to praise him so quickly, but he's as much to blame for our run defense as anyone. Canty and Ware were our only saving graces against the run last season. That has to be fixed.

...and I've been mistaken too many times to say things like Hood and Gilbert won't be there at our pick. Never thought Jenkins was going to be there for us last year... and if you told me Desean Jackson was a second rounder at this time last year, I would've lost all the money I had in the bank.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Doesn't take a genius to know Spears sucks. I used to think he was a run stuffer... lol. I was a fool. A first round BUST. Another Bill Parcells BUST special. I still thank my lucky stars to this day that Parcells was pursuaded to agree with taking Ware at 12 over the guy he wanted to take at 12... Spears. Pretty sure that was Jeff Ireland's advice with Jerry having final say.

Spears sucks, Kenyon Coleman sucks, Stephen Bowen sucks.... I hate hearing MOTH say you don't need good DE's in the 3-4. I'm sure the Patriots felt like Richard Seymour was a waste of money spent at the position. bah ha. I'm definitely not going to agree that it was the offenses' fault for Spears being so bad. What a load...

Anyways... I'm hopeful Igor will raise his game now that he's reunited with Wade. ...and I hope our scouting department knows a helluva lot more than us that they can find a DE in the draft. ...and I really wouldn't mind moving Ratliff to DE (at least occassionally) so he won't get bulldozed as much trying to stuff the run. Our fans are quick to praise him so quickly, but he's as much to blame for our run defense as anyone. Canty and Ware were our only saving graces against the run last season. That has to be fixed.

...and I've been mistaken too many times to say things like Hood and Gilbert won't be there at our pick. Never thought Jenkins was going to be there for us last year... and if you told me Desean Jackson was a second rounder at this time last year, I would've lost all the money I had in the bank.
I said you dont need amazing or super star talent at end. And FYI...The Patriots are our near identical when it comes to run defense. Last time I checked, ranking 12th in rush defense isnt terrible and being top 10 in that category nearly all season long isnt bad either. Our rush defense deficiencies are completely over blown on here. And I dont know if people are not watching the games or atleast not watching them close enough or what because, Spears is indeed coming off of a season where he was more active in the defense than ever. I'm certainly in the opinion that we could upgrade over Spears...but again, the chances of that happening this off-season are slim. So for the time being, we have Spears who is not as bad as you guys are making him out to be. Matter of fact, he is posied to make a lot of money next year, be it from us or another team. If he's not starting for us in 2010, he's starting for someone else.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 04-02-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I know the conversation has sorta passed, but I thought I would weigh in on Junior Savaii...

He's a loser. He's never going to be anything. For some reason Cowboy fans always overrate our players. They expect 5th, 6th, and 7th rounders to end up being something special. Sure, we've had some luck with Hurd, Austin, Ratliff -- but they have all shown improvement with each year.

Junior Savaii has been cut year after year and is pretty much just a big body to keep around "just in case..."

Maybe Brace isn't the answer, but Savaii is a turd.

This is a weird post. What is your reasoning for such a personal affront to Savaii? I know he's gotten into some trouble, but I don't remember any of it being at the serious Pacman level trouble.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:54 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
This is a weird post. What is your reasoning for such a personal affront to Savaii? I know he's gotten into some trouble, but I don't remember any of it being at the serious Pacman level trouble.
Maybe he's right, but I still haven't seen even a snap from him for me to be able to make that kind of judgement.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:55 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I said you dont need amazing or super star talent at end. And FYI...The Patriots are our near identical when it comes to run defense. Last time I checked, ranking 12th in rush defense isnt terrible and being top 10 in that category nearly all season long isnt bad either. Our rush defense deficiencies are completely over blown on here. And I dont know if people are not watching the games or atleast not watching them close enough or what because, Spears is indeed coming off of a season where he was more active in the defense than ever. I'm certainly in the opinion that we could upgrade over Spears...but again, the chances of that happening this off-season are slim. So for the time being, we have Spears who is not as bad as you guys are making him out to be. Matter of fact, he is posied to make a lot of money next year, be it from us or another team. If he's not starting for us in 2010, he's starting for someone else.
Well Seymour isn't the same player anymore... lol.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Maybe he's right, but I still haven't seen even a snap from him for me to be able to make that kind of judgement.
There's a difference in saying a guy is not capable of playing at a certain level, which is fine, and calling some one a turd and a loser without any sort of explaination for that childish type of dialogue.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Key stat: For the 2008 season, the Cowboys credited Spears with 16 quarterback pressures, which was the fourth-most on the team and easily surpassed Spears' previous career-high of six his rookie year.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ne...9CF93732300380

ugh...Football Outsiders is some Sabermetrics wannabe crap. Their findings are typically flawed but whatever. Spears isnt the only player on that side, nor is he the only end that plays on that side. Spears was freeing up Linebackers when he was in there...Thomas/Ellis/Spencer all struggled against the rush so, the blame cannot be placed all on Spears shoulders. Do we have year by year adjusted line yards to even get a suitable comparison between years? Way too many factors play into these things.
I'm saying that the right side of our defense has been a problem since we switched to the 3-4. We haven't ever been in the top half of the league on that side statistically. Want some year by year numbers.

2007:
Adj. LineYards - 3.93
RBYards - 4.01 4.17
PowerSuccess - 67% 63%
PowerRank - 21
10+Yards - 19% 18%
10+Rank - 22
Stuffed - 28% 24%
StuffedRank - 7

2006:
Adj. LineYards - 4.37
RBYards - 3.81 4.19
PowerSuccess - 60% 64%
PowerRank - 10
10+Yards - 11% 17%
10+Rank - 3
Stuffed - 26% 24%
StuffedRank - 11

Basically what I get from the data above is stuff that we have mostly talked about. In a two gap scheme you have less 10+ yard gains because your DL eats up blockers.

We were also ranked 11 spots higher in power success...this has to be put on ratliff and thomas imo...not filling the inside...something that has been talked about a ton on here.

2007:
LEFT END
ALY - 2.95
Rank - 5
LEFT TACKLE
ALY - 3.78
Rank - 9
MID/GUARD
ALY - 4.09
Rank - 13
RIGHT TACKLE
ALY - 4.06
Rank - 16
RIGHT END
ALY - 4.14
Rank - 16

2006:
LEFT END
ALY - 5.42
Rank - 31
LEFT TACKLE
ALY - 4.22
Rank - 13
MID/GUARD
ALY - 4.11
Rank - 10
RIGHT TACKLE
ALY - 4.87
Rank - 28
RIGHT END
ALY - 3.97
Rank - 14

Here are some stats that really surprise me. Canty/Ware's emergence in the 1-gap scheme vs the 2 gap scheme. You can literally see the difference from bottom of the league to top...of course this also has to do with Ware...but Canty is the one who really had a real assignment switch. Huge difference.

Runs to the RT have been huge problems for us...and the % of runs to there went up about 5% last year...and probably another 5% this year if something doesn't happen.

My point is....THIS is the biggest problem on our team...and we've only done one thing to address this and that's adding Brooking over Thomas...not sure how sold I am on that.

No wonder we are looking at RLBers and NT's all over so far this draft season.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not too worried about the D-line next year. Canty is gone, but Igor is a good replacement. Ratliff was the best of the D-line last year, and he's here for the next few years. Spears has been a bust, but he's not garbage. Garbage is someone like Ebenezer Ekuban. Spears isn't that bad. He can be upgraded, but it's not like he destroys the team by starting. Kind of like Al Singleton. He has some kind of value.

Hatcher is a guy who hasn't been what we thought he would be, but hasn't he battled injuries too? Wasn't it two years ago that people were saying that he should be starting and that he would be pretty good by what he showed? His first two years he showed some good progress, so why are we so down on him based on one bad injury season? Remember his play in the Patriots game? I swear some Cowboy fans were like, "Put him in. OMG he's beast it up now!" Where is that now? I'm not saying or counting on the guy to be a beast, but his physical tools are about as good or better than any other D-lineman on the roster. His talent and play in the first two years warrants giving him a long look this season instead of drafting another guy to take reps away from him.

With Bowen I see the same thing. Has he taken any steps back ever since being in the league? Every year he seems to progress. Isn't that what you want out of a player? Once again he's not a world beater, but he's turning into a more than capable backup. as a matter of fact, he's shown progression more so than any other D-lineman on the roster besides Ratliff. Drafting a guy would only take reps away from a player that should be getting as much as he can right now. Igor and Ratliff are going to get their reps due to past production and contract. Spears has too much of a pedigree to not get any reps, being a 3 year starter. Hatcher has loads of potential, so you have to give him enough reps to try to bring it out of him. So where does that leave Bowen. He's done all he's asked, gotten better than we thought, and has experience. Bringing in another 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round guy is only going to kill the progress the team is making with him. Think of this....When Bowen was on the field last year did he not hold his own? This guy is an undrafted second year player getting serious playing time, and he did pretty well if you ask me. How many times last year did you think "Oh sh$t Bowen is out there." For me it was more like, "wow I didn't know Bowen was playing. He did a good job."

Don't we get on the 'Boys for not developing O-line enough? Why when you are showing some steady development with D-line is DE such a big concern now? I just pointed out that Bowen has shown good improvement. Hatcher showed some good things in his first two years, was doing better in camp until he got hurt, so it's not like he's a scrub. That's two positive projects going on there. DE is not a draft need, NT is. And that's only due to depth. Ratliff needs a stable guy to rotate with. That's the only glaring need on D-Line IMO. I think the only reason to go DE is if a guy is BPA, or if there's someone too good to pass if he falls. I'd stick with going NT, and trying to find a ILB in the mid rounds that could develop into something down the line.

Because I think the run D's real problem is the middle backers. I saw too many times penetration get wasted, because no one filled the hole. And too many times what should've been a loss turned into no gain or 1-2 yards, because the backer got there too late. Just my two cents.........which used to be a dollar.:)

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
This goes along with the point I'm trying to make... He hasn't even been able to get a snap playing behind Ratliff or Tank Johnson here even though Wade prefers to have a bigger NT and he couldn't get a snap playing behind old and undersized Jason Ferguson in Miami.

Both teams have cut him and just passed him back and forth as a "potential player"

When do we look at a guy and say "He's been in the league 3 or 4 years now and hasn't even been able to earn backup snaps, he probably isn't ever going to be anything"

I mean when is Savaii going to make an impact? Year 6? Is that when he is finally going to earn his 10 snaps a game?

We'll see... I could be wrong, but I just don't even think this guy deserves being discussed on these boards. Matt Stewart has a better chance at contributing this year than Savaii does.

Our team just really needs help along the D-line. I know you agree D and I know Thule agrees. We need to do something because it's the same problem we've had on defense since we've switched to the 3-4.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
There's a difference in saying a guy is not capable of playing at a certain level, which is fine, and calling some one a turd and a loser without any sort of explaination for that childish type of dialogue.
Spears is a turd and a loser, as is Savaii. Look, I'm not in here to give well thought out and planned responses.

I get on, I see what the current topic being discussed is and I give my opinion. If I think a player is a total scrub, I'm going to call him a turd.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:21 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I hear what you're saying Burns, but a lot of people don't get a chance in the NFL and it's often a numbers game. Sometimes it's coaching favorites. Sometimes it's the guy with the fat contract getting the playing time. Sometimes a guy develops slow. I know one thing though... There is some things I keep reading about him that make me believe there is a silver lining in all this.

Did you see what Wade said about Siavii?

** Wade Phillips believes Junior Siavii and Tim Anderson could be the answer at nose tackle behind Jay Ratliff. The Cowboys thought Siavii would hook on with a team last year after he was mong their final cuts. Anderson was a third round pick a few years ago. But Phillips also mentioned Siavii's relationship with Igor Olshansky and I forgot they played at Oregon together.

"They have a close relationship," Phillips said. "They work hard together. Both were high draft choices coming out of Oregon and they push each other and compete with each other with everything they did in college. Igor talked about, I'm going to get with Junior and we're going to do this and we're going to do that and Junior says, Well, I can out do him. So I think it'll be a fun thing for us to have them."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...s-nuggets.html

Wade is connecting the dots... and I think that's a pretty savvy move as a matter of fact.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I hear what you're saying Burns, but a lot of people don't get a chance in the NFL and it's often a numbers game. Sometimes it's coaching favorites. Sometimes it's the guy with the fat contract getting the playing time. Sometimes a guy develops slow. I know one thing though... There is some things I keep reading about him that make me believe there is a silver lining in all this.

Did you see what Wade said about Siavii?

** Wade Phillips believes Junior Siavii and Tim Anderson could be the answer at nose tackle behind Jay Ratliff. The Cowboys thought Siavii would hook on with a team last year after he was mong their final cuts. Anderson was a third round pick a few years ago. But Phillips also mentioned Siavii's relationship with Igor Olshansky and I forgot they played at Oregon together.

"They have a close relationship," Phillips said. "They work hard together. Both were high draft choices coming out of Oregon and they push each other and compete with each other with everything they did in college. Igor talked about, I'm going to get with Junior and we're going to do this and we're going to do that and Junior says, Well, I can out do him. So I think it'll be a fun thing for us to have them."

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...s-nuggets.html

Wade is connecting the dots... and I think that's a pretty savvy move as a matter of fact.
I actually have a lot of faith in Wade from that standpoint. If he thinks the guy can play, that's good enough for me. Especially when it's a defensive player.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I actually have a lot of faith in Wade from that standpoint. If he thinks the guy can play, that's good enough for me. Especially when it's a defensive player.
FWIW, if we think Siavii and Anderson are as good as Brace then we are nut to go Brace.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forgot Olshansky and Siavii played together at Oregon. Hopefully Siavii finally puts his strength to use. If he can't make it as a nose now he never will.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Not a Flozell fan anymore

Just my 2nd post here so I thought I would post on my favorite NFL team, I've been a Cowboys fan since I grew up in San Antonio way way back in the day when they were the 1st team to use those newfangled things called computers for player scouting & the 1st to use a Ring of Honor for their stars since all the other NFL teams laughed at them b/c they didn't retire jersey nos..... how many teams have copied those now?

I would like to say that the big reupped contract Flozell Adams signed was a major mistake. How is it that the league leader yr. in & yr. out in jumping offsides & blowing the snap count is one of the highest paid O-linemen in the NFL? Anybody remember the last Cowboys playoff loss, their 7th freaking one in a row by my count, when he cost them about half of their huge 16 penalities? I can understand not hearing the count in a road game domed stadium, but they were at home then. It was like Wk. 18 with the same QB all yr, no excuse for that. And he led the league I think in offsides penalties again in 08 -- He has talent but he's dumber than a box of hammers.

Dallas had what was once considered the best O-line in the NFL 2 seasons ago when they placed a rcd. 13 players in the Pro Bowl & it's fallen considerably since then. I think Flozell Adams is one of the main reason for that decline.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
Just my 2nd post here so I thought I would post on my favorite NFL team, I've been a Cowboys fan since I grew up in San Antonio way way back in the day when they were the 1st team to use those newfangled things called computers for player scouting & the 1st to use a Ring of Honor for their stars since all the other NFL teams laughed at them b/c they didn't retire jersey nos..... how many teams have copied those now?

I would like to say that the big reupped contract Flozell Adams signed was a major mistake. How is it that the league leader yr. in & yr. out in jumping offsides & blowing the snap count is one of the highest paid O-linemen in the NFL? Anybody remember the last Cowboys playoff loss, their 7th freaking one in a row by my count, when he cost them about half of their huge 16 penalities? I can understand not hearing the count in a road game domed stadium, but they were at home then. It was like Wk. 18 with the same QB all yr, no excuse for that. And he led the league I think in offsides penalties again in 08 -- He has talent but he's dumber than a box of hammers.

Dallas had what was once considered the best O-line in the NFL 2 seasons ago when they placed a rcd. 13 players in the Pro Bowl & it's fallen considerably since then. I think Flozell Adams is one of the main reason for that decline.
Welcome to the boards man(or woman). I feel you on the Flozell thing, but he's still a good player. He might not be what he was two years ago when he dominated people like Jason Taylor and Osi, but he's still a good serviceable guy. His contract is the problem though, and it sucks that he makes so much when it's pretty certain that he won't be here for 6 more years. His penalties really irk me, because when I played I never understood how you can false start if you know the snap count. Now of course I've never played in a stadium with tens of thousands of fans screaming, but with Flozell it's pretty ridiculous. It's like he has to get it out of his system. The same thing happens with Columbo too, just not at the same rate as Flozell. But he's still a good player, and I hope they restructure his contract and draft Loadholt to eventually replace him.

Oh and feel you on the Cowboy love. I bleed blue and silver like no other. I plan my Sundays around football, and the Cowboys are king. Hopefully they can get that sixth ring to get the record tied up again.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Nothing will come of it but, the Jets are eye balling Miles Austin.

Quote:
According to sources, the Jets have scheduled to meet with Austin, a restricted free agent, Thursday and Friday.

The Cowboys gave Austin a $1.545 million tender offer that would require a team to give up a second-round pick as compensation if the Cowboys did not match. The restricted free-agent signing period ends on April 17. Four restricted free agents have signed offer sheets this off-season, but their teams matched the offers.

If the Jets sign Austin, the Cowboys would have a week to match the offer. New York's second-round selection is No. 52, one spot behind the Cowboys' first pick of the draft.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry would match it even if, I think he'd rather wait to sign him to a deal, but no way would he let him get away even for that 2nd...We would have a bigger hole at WR and there isn't many WR's interesting in the 2nd round, if there were the Jets wouldn't be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote