Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Saw that.

Bust.

He'll be back before the start of training camp though, so he'll still have a chance to show something.

Seems like a lost cause at this point.
Too bad for him but who is surprised at this point? Another personnel adventure gone wrong.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Too bad for him but who is surprised at this point? Another personnel adventure gone wrong.
The problem this creates is the perceived lack of WR's if Austin doesn't produce good enough this year which will prompt Jerry to ignore LT/NT once again and instead go after a skill position too early in next years draft.

Then we will be on year 5 in the 3-4 defense without doing anything to address the D-line weakness.

I see it coming already, haha.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We have some good defensive convo goin on in here. I wish I could quote everything and talk in detail, but I just don't have that time right now.

A quick sidenote I want to discuss with you guys: I'm probably the minority in this belief, but I think the Cowboys would actually benefit from converting to a 4-3 defense.

Ratliff is a beast, but he'd be an even bigger beast as a 4-3 UT. Ware is a monster regardless of where you throw him.

And a 4-3 front will help alleviate the issue at NT. Igor would make a very stoute 4-3 NT, as would Marcus Spears. I personally believe Spears could salvage his career as a 4-3 NT.

Spencer and Ellis can rotate at DE.

Your LB core could then be quicker and smaller, and do a better job covering those intermediate routes.

In the 3-4, you still need a true NT, you need another pressure DE, and you have issues at ILB. A simple switch to a 4-3 front I think solves a lot of issues.

And for those worried about this effecting Ware's versatility, I don't see how it would. Ware can be just as versatile as a DE as he would as a LB. He can still drop in coverage on zone blitzes, and you can move him along the dline like we do with Tuck. I see no reason why he can't do that as well.
I see where you're coming from, and it's a good assessment. I think the D-line would really be strong if the defense was converted to a 4-3. Ware would be an elite, maybe even the best D-end in the league, and a Spencer/Ellis rotation would be nice. The big thing is that Ware is still best suited for a 3-4. He'd still be great at end in a 4-3, but I think him roaming in a 3-4 is a lot better for the defense. He can drop back in coverage at D-end, but with him standing up gives him that extra edge. If his hand was on the line, his drop off into coverage would be a second or two later than it would with him already standing before the play starts. Of course with a player like Ware, he would probably be great at almost anything. Hell part of me even thinks he would be good as a outside backer in a 4-3. Of course I wouldn't do that, but you get what I'm saying.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:49 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

None of us should be surprised with Stanback...but, good to get this out of the way now. It's a clean up, Burnett got it done before last season. If he's getting hurt with minimal to no contact, he wouldnt have lasted. This should atleast strengthen that knee up. Hopefully, it will hold up and put an end to his knee injuries.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea, Stanback is finished, the guy cannot stay healthy to save his life, and he is always missing valuable reps at WR which he really needs, I don't expect him to make any value what so ever with us and should be cut soon.

In other news, Calvin Watkins is reporting Ellis is on the block:

Quote:
The Cowboys have reportedly put OLB Greg Ellis on the trading block.
The report comes from NFL Fanhouse's Calvin Watkins, who doubles as a beat writer for the Dallas Morning News. Ellis, 34, is due to earn $4.15 million in the final year of his contract. He's been sent him home from OTAs, so the team is serious about dealing him to open up a starting spot for 2007 first-rounder Anthony Spencer. They Cowboys are targeting the Bengals and Patriots, though the Pats are said to have no interest.
Source: nfl.fanhouse.com

We knew this was coming too as soon as we picked up all those pass-rushers, I'm fine with it, I know he's a great player but the constant whining and crying gets old...If you cannot accept your role you have to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also forgot to add that Sammie Stroughter has been making alot of noise for the Bucs and they have been impressed so far, ideal slot WR, explosive return man, he was who I had pegged to us in the 7th and he makes so much more sense then the OU WR.

We needed a guy who could play the slot and take over Crayton's job in a year or so, Mannuel Johnson is an outside WR, and he can't help on returns, Stroughter would of been a great value pick for what we need in the 7th round.

Oh well, hopefully he doesn't go on to be a stud for them lol.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Yea, Stanback is finished, the guy cannot stay healthy to save his life, and he is always missing valuable reps at WR which he really needs, I don't expect him to make any value what so ever with us and should be cut soon.

In other news, Calvin Watkins is reporting Ellis is on the block:

We knew this was coming too as soon as we picked up all those pass-rushers, I'm fine with it, I know he's a great player but the constant whining and crying gets old...If you cannot accept your role you have to go.
He'd be a loss, and maybe a big one if Spencer isn't the real deal. I've gone back and forth about him since last year. At one point I was so frustrated with his play that I wanted him traded. I understand a guy getting old, but his bitching in the offseason did him no favors. He still is a goo pass rusher though, and someone would need to step up in his place. Spencer has the tools, but can he put it together? Time will tell. I hope that something good can be had for Greg, but I'm not naive. It'll probably be a conditional late round pick. Maybe a 6th that can move up to a 5th, or luckily a 4th.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:12 AM    (permalink
nrcirc
Veteran

nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrcirc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should trade Ellis or maybe plus Pat Watkins for Chat Johnson.
nrcirc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcirc View Post
We should trade Ellis or maybe plus Pat Watkins for Chat Johnson.
Yeah, and if we throw in Carpenter we can maybe get Carson Palmer too.

(** you do realise those are two players likely to not even make the 53 man cut?)
Old 05-22-2009, 08:54 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Yeah, and if we throw in Carpenter we can maybe get Carson Palmer too.

(** you do realise those are two players likely to not even make the 53 man cut?)
I don't know, I'll bet we can get Chat Johnson cheap. Now, Chad Johnson might really cost us. :D
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
He'd be a loss, and maybe a big one if Spencer isn't the real deal. I've gone back and forth about him since last year. At one point I was so frustrated with his play that I wanted him traded. I understand a guy getting old, but his bitching in the offseason did him no favors. He still is a goo pass rusher though, and someone would need to step up in his place. Spencer has the tools, but can he put it together? Time will tell. I hope that something good can be had for Greg, but I'm not naive. It'll probably be a conditional late round pick. Maybe a 6th that can move up to a 5th, or luckily a 4th.
It would be a risk, but it's put up or shut up time for Spencer, he needs to be a full-time starter and stay healthy and being a 1st round pick we shouldn't still need an old 34 year old guy hanging around.

I think besides him running his mouth so much, it probably has some to do with Ware's contract, we free up about 5 million in space releasing him.

Quote:
Old 05-22-2009, 02:26 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Screw Chad Johnson, we don't need him.

Losing Ellis would be kind of bitter sweet. I just don't feel like we have enough depth at OLB to cut him loose.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It would be a risk, but it's put up or shut up time for Spencer, he needs to be a full-time starter and stay healthy and being a 1st round pick we shouldn't still need an old 34 year old guy hanging around.

I think besides him running his mouth so much, it probably has some to do with Ware's contract, we free up about 5 million in space releasing him.
Yeah Spencer won't have any excuses not to perform. His first year was Ellis' best year, his second had injuries. Now the cards stack up for him to show what he has. He won't have Ellis taking snaps away from him, he's been in the same system going on 3 years now at the same spot. He's got to show something this year to keep him around.

Oh and good looking on on Ware. Ware's contract has been a big priority, and it looks like the room from Ellis could help that out.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:47 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Yeah Spencer won't have any excuses not to perform. His first year was Ellis' best year, his second had injuries. Now the cards stack up for him to show what he has. He won't have Ellis taking snaps away from him, he's been in the same system going on 3 years now at the same spot. He's got to show something this year to keep him around.

Oh and good looking on on Ware. Ware's contract has been a big priority, and it looks like the room from Ellis could help that out.
Ellis is looking more like a release, since the 2 trading partners who were reported to be interested, Cincy Bengals & the NE Pats, have gotten cold feet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4199484

Now it looks like he'll be another over the hill DE with the Fins like Jason Taylor. Too bad, I remember back in the day (puts on Wayback time machine magic helmet) when he & Ebenezer Ekuban were 2 DEs taken #1 in 2 successive yrs. from UNC, Ekuban reached the point of diminishing returns in about 3 yrs. to go thru a series of 1-yrs. with teams like Denver who were desperate for d-line help while Ellis went on to become their best defensive player in the Parcells yrs. until Ware & Bradie James showed up. One yr. he led the league with INTs as well as TFLS into Wk. 3-4 as a DE.

Why tf the team wanted to trade with the NE pats IDK, Bellichick drives the hardest bargain in the business, he stockpiles picks in almost every yearly draft it seem this way, fleecing other teams trading with them who are looking to dump pricey aging talent who the Pats give a 2nd wind to their careers... didn't the Raiders used to have a reputation for doing just that, before they became the official retired on the job, last career NFL stop team? I can only assume the Pats wanted him b/c they have a history of preferring experienced defensive players replacing their injured ones, like Ellis for Bruschi or whoever in this case, but maybe Ellis had too much mileage even for them.

Last edited by LizardState : 05-25-2009 at 07:49 AM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:12 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

The reason why no one will give you anything for Ellis or gave us anything for Roy Williams is they know full well these are cuts.

That fans believe the nonsense coming from VR about trading him is dumb -- a "press leak" about a trad is created to avoid fan criticism for eventually letting him.

Only really dumb teams actually give up value for OK ball players who are making too much money for their current team. Most smart teams wait for cuts and pick them up for free.

Ellis won't make it this year b/c we invested too much in OLB talent and need to sign Ware. And, I for one, am desperately happy about it.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:21 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...#leavecomments

.. exactly why a few wanted T-hoe gone. And to all the guys who said "this was fabricated at ESPN" -- come back to reality.

Talk about a Divider and not a Uniter -- this dude is the ultimate divide and conquer mentality. Glad he is shot and will bomb in Buffalo -- particularly second half of the season when the cold makes those footballs even harder than T-hoe's hands.

Enjoy obscurity you closet queen!
Old 05-25-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I remember when Ellis and Ekuban were supposed to be a big tandem. The two North Carolina guys that were going to bring the pass rush back to Dallas. What sucked is that Ellis' second year was freaking fire! The dude was beasting it at a Pro Bowl level until Alonzo Spellman's sorry ass broke his leg. Ellis after that was a good pass rusher on a line with no good rushers to keep the pressure off him. Ekuban sucked from the start, but his second year he looked like he could be something. His first half of the season was bad, but in the last 5 games he got like six sacks before getting hurt. Then the next year he flopped, and sucked until Parcells got here. At least Ellis turned out to be a good, consistent player for many years. He never was an all star without needing someone else to take pressure off him, but he was better than most DEs. I always thought of him as a poor man's Strahan. A complete guy that gives you good pass rush, and can stop the run pretty well.

As for the T.O. thing, I couldn't really give a rats ass. I think he'll do well, and I have no ill will toward him. But I really don't care what he says or does now. He has no relevant role to the team now, and my policy for this year would be to just ignore anything said about him. Sure he was a big factor into the offense, but that's gone and never coming back. If he gets 1500 yards and 20 TDs while Romo struggles, then I'll get mad. But other than that he's just another vet that was cut loose from an underachieving team.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Looks like it's official Ellis is gone one way or another, but most people saw this coming a long time ago...I had been hoping for him to go after TO, Roy, and Pacman left, when we drafted two pass-rushers that was the final straw.

NE would be interested in him no doubt about it once he got released.

Quote:
Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like it's official Ellis is gone one way or another, but most people saw this coming a long time ago...I had been hoping for him to go after TO, Roy, and Pacman left, when we drafted two pass-rushers that was the final straw.

NE would be interested in him no doubt about it once he got released.
I predict Carolina Panthers as vehicle for their trading Peppers. Ellis goes home in the process and can give them 2-3 years as a situational rusher right where Pepper used to play.

Otherwise, Bengals with Zim.

NE doesn't make sense to me personally (youth movement). Miami neither (too many old OLB in Taylor and Porter).
Old 05-26-2009, 07:05 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I predict Carolina Panthers as vehicle for their trading Peppers. Ellis goes home in the process and can give them 2-3 years as a situational rusher right where Pepper used to play.

NE doesn't make sense to me personally (youth movement). Miami neither (too many old OLB in Taylor and Porter).
Good call on Carolina. It would be a really nice fit for him to be close to home again.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Anyone watch that Top 10 Cowboys show on NFL Network? The list from 10 to 1 goes as:

Drew Pearson
Don Merideth
Randy White
Tony Dorsett
Troy Aikman
Emmitt Smith
Bob Lilly
Michael Irvin
Roger Staubach
Tom Landry

I'm not too keen on this list, as it features only one non player when you can make arguments for another. Nothing against Landry,but you can give Tex Schramm just as much props as him. Emmitt at number 5? He's probably the second most productive player in NFL history. I'm a huge Irvin fan, but Emmitt should be higher at least. You can make an argument for Aikman too. My Larry Allen non *** man love also makes me upset that he didn't make this list.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:08 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

Stewart to the Eagles! Great move for the Eagles. Stewart was a great position coach in SD before coming to Dallas. He knows our team inside and out. This could be trouble.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:

I'm guessing Green Bay. Kampman isn't talking to the media because he's mad about the switch to the 3-4. Ellis has been there before. He can come in as a situational guy and help Kampman transition. It's a new 3-4 team that doesn't have much depth at OLB and no one better than Ellis to my knowledge.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricowboy View Post
Stewart to the Eagles! Great move for the Eagles. Stewart was a great position coach in SD before coming to Dallas. He knows our team inside and out. This could be trouble.
That can be used to the Eagles advantage, but remember that Stewart wasn't that good here. Of course he was a young coordinator, so I think this is a wait and see move. He could be useful to them for game planning, but he could also stink it up again.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Default Let's make it official

Quote:
Cowboys released OLB/DE Greg Ellis.
The anticipated move clears $5.6 million in cap room, likely setting up Dallas to strike a long-term accord with contract-year OLB DeMarcus Ware. Ellis is 34, but showed that he can still play by posting eight sacks last season. He'd be best utilized as a rotational end in a 4-3 defense. The Bengals, Rams, Jaguars, and Redskins would all be smart to give him a look.
per roto

Good amount of cap room saved by doing this, this is what the great drafting teams do all the time, no reason to pay that much for a 34 year old LB when we drafted his replacement in the first two years ago.

Quote: