Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I loved Greg Ellis while he was here. Still effective but, not at his best anymore. Things got a little ugly the last few years but, that was one of our two longest tenured Cowboys right there. Hopefully he catches on as a starter at end somewhere. I want to see him do well and I'm hoping that will come in a 4-3 defense again. I remember how excited I was when we signed him to that big extension all those years ago.

As for Spence, I expect him to be absolutely fine this year. I'm looking forward to him finally taking over full time. Hopefully we'll see a nice healthy dose of Brandon Williams and/or Vic Butler as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 06-02-2009 at 02:40 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Ellis - who should have been Randy Moss - was an ungrateful whiner. Good riddance.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man $5.6 is alot of room. With that type of money, it's best that he's gone. Let Spencer boom or bust this year, but you get some wiggle room for DeMarcus' extension. That's probably the top priority this offseason anyway.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:59 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In just two weeks of OTAs, Gerald Sensabaugh has looked impressive, according to Coach Phillips. The strong safety may just be a perfect fit in this style of the 3-4 defense.

"Sensabaugh looks outstanding," Phillips said last week. "He’s really got a lot of ability, good worth ethic, but he can really cover a lot of ground. We can cover in man to man with him . . . he has great speed along with cover ability."
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...review-finally

This is great news for Sensabaugh, this was a big weak spot for us the past few years, if anything just because we didn't have anyone who could cover from the SS spot.

I think he's a great fit for our defense, and he's playing hard to get a big contract next summer ie Hamlin a few years back so we should expect some big things from him and our entire secondary this year.

Our pass defense was ranked 5th, we should be able to create alot more interceptions and turnovers this year with the personnel changes and the coverage should be just as good.

Here's a little blurb on Deangelo Smith too:

Quote:
"I like him as a ball-hawk and a hitter," Cowboys defensive backs coach Dave Campo said. "And his ability to go to the football. He has a real good instinct for the football, so he's going to start out at safety. Now, we're going to play him some at corner, but that's not going to be his main position. His main position is going to be free safety. I really graded him as a safety more than I did as a corner."

Will be interesting to see how he develops and if we just switch Ken Hamlin to SS and let Smith be our centerfielder...Not getting my hopes up yet, but it's exciting that Wade is starting to hand pick some guys he thinks fit perfectly for his defense, instead of working around the spare parts that were still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 06-05-2009 at 12:01 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like that news about Sensabaugh. If he ends up being a steal, then Hamlin can be allowed to develop behind him without being thrown to the wolves. Sensabaugh is pretty young too, so if he both look good you end up being able to do alot of things with them in the future. Then if Smith is as good as they think he can be, they could use some really interesting packages in the future. Maybe they can have a "weak" package of safeties with Ken Ham and Smith to prep more for down field threat, and maybe they can have a "strong" package with Mike Ham and Sensabaugh to use more for stopping the run. Of course this is just some OTAs, so I'm not going gaga over someone looking good now. I am glad that there is some kind of news though. I hate this time of year for lack of football news.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The first time we break out the wildcat or "razorback" is going to be crazy. I absolutely hate the idea of splitting Tony out at WR, though. Getting Tony killed while not actually under center is just what we need. ugh. But this should just be an amazing formation for Felix. Get him in the open field and set the faces to stunned. :)

As for other OTA news...kind of sucks that we cant keep Austin and Hurd on the field right now. Granted they're both nursing minor injuries and they're out for precautionary reasons to assure their health but, still.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-05-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

http://cdn3.libsyn.com/bigdaddydrew/...3bc030f6fcb6de

Haha Martellus is a funny dude. I was laughing my ass off when he said he'd call a one legged woman "hip hop."

Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if everyone caught it, Mike Jenkins is taking over #21 and ditching #31. Here's hoping Deion's # inspires a Deion-type performance this season. We need the interceptions.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I might be in the minority with this, but I think you lost a lot with Ellis. He was still your 4th best pass rusher (assuming Spencer steps up and becomes your #3 guy).

It was time to let him go and move on, but its still a blow. You don't have a 4th guy who can step up and replace him.

I am a believer in Spencer though. I think he's going to have a good year.

In an unrelated note, I know I'm late with this but....Jon Kitna?

Jon Kitna? What made Jerry Jones think that was a good idea? I read in here that Jon Kitna is going to push Romo? Really? And how on earth does he plan on doing that? Jon Kitna is nothing more than a spiritual Brad Johnson.

Same noodle arm. He doesn't change a thing if Romo goes down. Horrible pick up, especially with guys like Leftwich available at the time. Even Chris Simms.

Chris Simms will make a comeback btw :)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I might be in the minority with this, but I think you lost a lot with Ellis. He was still your 4th best pass rusher (assuming Spencer steps up and becomes your #3 guy).

It was time to let him go and move on, but its still a blow. You don't have a 4th guy who can step up and replace him.

Jon Kitna? What made Jerry Jones think that was a good idea? I read in here that Jon Kitna is going to push Romo? Really? And how on earth does he plan on doing that? Jon Kitna is nothing more than a spiritual Brad Johnson.

Same noodle arm. He doesn't change a thing if Romo goes down. Horrible pick up, especially with guys like Leftwich available at the time. Even Chris Simms.

Maybe we do lose something with Ellis, he's still a good player so it wouldn't be surprising, but this is the way the good teams operate, let the old pricey veterans go for their draft replacements. This is the way you would rather it be, versus keeping him until he's 36 years old with that type of contract, there was absolutely no reason to keep him anymore, at some point you have to part ways.

Jon Kitna is a back-up QB, what's so horrible about that? Who were we going to get that was that much better? Leftwich wanted a chance to start somewhere he would of rather went back to Pittsburgh then coming here and learning a new system.

We weren't looking for a future starter, we wanted a vet that knows how to throw the football and make some plays, Kitna is far from terrible if your talking about a back-up QB, I mean you guys just finished having Davin Carr as your back-up no? Equally as terrible?

He's an upgrade over Brad Johnson by a significant amount, and if he were to start he'd be able to get the ball to our play makers and let the running game take over, all we were looking for was a bus driver type, and his familiarity with RW may of been a bonus.

I don't think anyone said he was going to push Romo for a job and if they are don't pay any attention to them, everyone knows that's not even a realistic scenario, nobody is pushing Romo for a job because there is no way he isn't the starter for at least two more years...By then we would be hoping Stephen McGee would be ready to show something, but I wouldn't really call Kitna terrible.

It's a bit of a youth movement going on, so I expect growing pains with the new pass rushers and the drop off with Ellis, but you can't expect to leave around veterans when you drafted a 1st rounder at that position two years ago, especially when Wade is so high on Spencer...It would be different if we could of kept Ellis around as a situational pass-rusher for a discounted price but he had no interest in that.

Quote:
Old 06-05-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Not sure if everyone caught it, Mike Jenkins is taking over #21 and ditching #31. Here's hoping Deion's # inspires a Deion-type performance this season. We need the interceptions.
The best corners always want #21 when they come here :D He has to step it up to rock that number, I can't wait to see our DB's in action, if T-new can actually stay healthy.

I'm gonna go nuts if Newman gets hurt before Training Camp is even over...He was so durable his first 4 or so years, never missing a game, now he seems too frail.

Quote:
Old 06-06-2009, 08:12 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
The best corners always want #21 when they come here :D He has to step it up to rock that number, I can't wait to see our DB's in action, if T-new can actually stay healthy.

I'm gonna go nuts if Newman gets hurt before Training Camp is even over...He was so durable his first 4 or so years, never missing a game, now he seems too frail.
Because he is over 30. That is why in football you never let a monster contract vest more than 40% after their 30th birthday.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

You seem to have alot of faith in Spencer, and I can see why. Looking at him when he started those first 6 games, he looked like he would turn into someone really good. As a rookie he seemed like the guy that was almost always close to making big plays. I chalk that up to adjusting to the NFL, and had Ellis not had his best season, Anthony could've had a pretty solid rookie year. I don't want to blindly expect him to explode into a double digit season, but I do expect him to play well this year.

As for Kitna..........yeah I hated that too. He's only minutely better than Brad Johnson, and even then he sucks something fierce. I really wanted Leftwich, but I guess money was more of a factor since Ware is getting an extension. The Cowboys just seem to be going cheap to prepare for that hit, so maybe that's why Kitna was the quick choice.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:39 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I really wanted Leftwich, but I guess money was more of a factor since Ware is getting an extension. The Cowboys just seem to be going cheap to prepare for that hit, so maybe that's why Kitna was the quick choice.
Leftwich had a choice of where he ended up, and he wanted to start...Coming here made no sense to him because Pitt wanted him to come back to be a back-up and they just won the super bowl, he really would have no reason or interest to come here vs staying in Pitt, he wasn't going to play at either spot.

Kitna may of looked like crap, but let's be honest, how good would Tony Romo of looked behind Detroit's line? He looks like crap behind out line at times, so I think Kitna will be more then just a bit better then Brad Johnson, he couldn't even complete a slant route.

Quote:
Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Kitna's suckage happened way before Detroit. He sucked in Seattle, and he sucked in Cincinnati. He's only had two good years in his entire career, and that was more of his receivers being good than him. He usually gets figured out, and after that he's just no good. Coming off the bench he's a better option than Brad, but that's nothing to write home about. Even as sucktastic Kitna is, he's still a better option than Johnson right now. As a backup his suckatude will be limited to keeping McGee's spot warm. If Romo goes down again we'll see some major suckaliciousness from him. It's not a dumb move by Jerry and co, but someone might've been had at the same price. I knew Leftwich wanted to start, but Simms, Boller, or Losman would have been better choices.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:28 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Maybe Simms but, Losman and Boller are just awful. All three have had some pretty bad run ins with injuries as well. I just didnt like giving up Henry for Kitna. He's not great but, decent enough. He's much better than Brad at this point.

Dont know why but, I like your avatar.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-06-2009, 05:59 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Maybe Simms but, Losman and Boller are just awful. All three have had some pretty bad run ins with injuries as well. I just didnt like giving up Henry for Kitna. He's not great but, decent enough. He's much better than Brad at this point.

Dont know why but, I like your avatar.
Losman and Boller were bad. I agree with you on that. But Kitna has been horrible too, and they at least have youth, good arms, and mobility on them. If all hell breaks loose, I'd prefer guys who can at least do some kind of sandlot thing instead of just being terrible. Maybe they can have some decent scrambles for first downs or something. Maybe they just heave bombs deep at Roy, and see if he can make some circus catches.

Oh, and thanks on the avatar thing. I saw it the other day, and just found myself staring at it.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Kitna's experience cant really be overlooked, granted he's not great but, the guy has seen it all. Boller had a torn labrum/rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder as well as being a terrible QB. And Losman just cant stay healthy at all ; reoccuring knee injuries. Blah. No one was interested in him, no thanks. My top choice would have been Leftwich as well to be honest but, Kitna would seem like a better option than either of those two. Hopefully, it's something we wont even have to worry about this season. And now we have Mcgee to groom as a backup as well.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 06-06-2009, 07:46 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

McGee really is a good pickup. Investing in a long term backup with his potential pays dividends for the future. I am excited about it.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:25 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Losman and Boller were bad. I agree with you on that. But Kitna has been horrible too, and they at least have youth, good arms, and mobility on them. If all hell breaks loose, I'd prefer guys who can at least do some kind of sandlot thing instead of just being terrible. Maybe they can have some decent scrambles for first downs or something. Maybe they just heave bombs deep at Roy, and see if he can make some circus catches.

Oh, and thanks on the avatar thing. I saw it the other day, and just found myself staring at it.
David Carr sucks too, but why do you think he keeps getting back-up QB jobs? They are back-up QB's for a reason, Kitna has done more then any of those guys you listed no matter how bad you consider his suckage to be...Carr was terrible everywhere he has been as a starter, not ok, but terrible.

Kitna has thrown over 3000 yards 6 times, 4000 twice, and more then 18 TD's 6 times, that and he's a veteran that knows the ropes.

Chris Simms doesn't have that type of resume, Boller is terrible and couldn't even manage a team with a great defense, so I see no reason he would do better here...Kitna has a great understanding of the game and can also lend a hand teaching on the clip board that those younger QB's cannot do.

Nobody we brought in was going to be all that good, but Kitna's pedigree at least brings something to the table, he's obviously old, over the hill, terrible etc etc, but so is everyone else available.

Henry was going to be cut so I'm fine with the swap, we weren't going to let Henry get in the way of our youth movement so if we can get something for him fine by me.

Quote:
Old 06-07-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I expect back up QBs to be bad in terms of comparing them to a starter, but I prefer a tad bit of youth at the backup spot now. I really don't want to go through the possibility of getting a guy because he has good experience, then it turns out that his arm is shot like Bad's was. Kitna would've been a good backup 4 years ago, but I have a bad feeling that he could be too old to offer anything anymore.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still would've taken Bomar over Mcgee. A little more upside there.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
I expect back up QBs to be bad in terms of comparing them to a starter, but I prefer a tad bit of youth at the backup spot now. I really don't want to go through the possibility of getting a guy because he has good experience, then it turns out that his arm is shot like Bad's was. Kitna would've been a good backup 4 years ago, but I have a bad feeling that he could be too old to offer anything anymore.
Isn't that what Stephen McGee is though? If we were getting a guy to groom in the draft, the only choice was to get a veteran...I don't know why you said he would of been a good back-up QB 4 years ago when two years ago he just threw for 4000 yards on a terrible team?

How could a guy produce like that as a starter, yet not even be good enough to back-up a starter?

Quote:
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

I've been considering chiming in, but LL is doing a fantastic job. E-man, I understand where you're coming from because last season we got caught with our pants down when Romo got hurt. The backup QB situation is 10,000 times better this year. The depth chart is now:
1) Above-average starting NFL QB (extremely valuable commodity)
2) Veteran QB with a resume and rapport with our #1 receiver
3) Gifted rookie who has a skill set that mirrors our #1 QB.

What else do you want man?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I'm just really put off by Kitna's age. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Brad Johnson last year. He's an upgrade over Brad, but I'm scared that his arm has nothing left.