Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 06-27-2009, 06:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I don't know why Canty would be upset. Maybe because the team underachieved, but he wasn't exactly a world beater that gave his all. He's at fault too for the team underachieving. He's a good player that I hate losing, but Finchase is right about him and Olshansky being a wash. I see how you think he can break out BBD, and I agree with you. I just hope he doesn't because he plays for a rival now. lol

If he's really upset that fans didn't make a big deal of him leaving, then he has no one to blame but himself. If he played like a Pro Bowler, then we as Cowboy fans would be clamoring for him. You know how it goes for us. When we lose a good guy, then it's the end of the world and all that jazz. When the Cowboys sign a good player we talk super Bowl. lol

As a person I wish him success, but as a Giant I wish him an 0-16 season.:twisted:
:p

Yeah, he just wasn't what he should have been as a 3-4 End. Granted, he never had a true NT to play next to, but still, he definitely did not live up to standards. For some reason he always killed the Giants though. We just couldn't block him.

I think his biggest problem is leverage. He just doesn't play with great leverage. I'm hoping that Wauffle will get him to clean that up. He's done wonders with players 10X less talented than Canty at DT.

I still hold the belief that Ratliff would be an absolute monster (he kinda already is) if you guys moved him to DE and got a true NT. Or converted to a 4-3 defense, which I think wouldn't be a bad idea for this defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
What is Canty upset about?

I expect him to start acting like a Justin Tuck wannabe pretty soon and everything out of his mouth is hate Dallas this. I can't wait until week 2, NYG really has no legit threat at WR or TE to beat our secondary now at all, and I think Eli will struggle with pressure.

I expect us to lose to Philly, maybe both games, but we'll sweep the Giants, Eli is terrible without a play-maker at the WR position and I doubt we see one emerge this year for them.
He's already kinda started doing that. He's made it clear he has no problem with the players he played with, but moreso management, coaching, and the environment in general. It sounds like he's bitter he didn't get a contract extension.

I'm honestly not worried about Eli at all. In fact, I think he'll have his best statistical season of his career this year. I can see us splitting our games, because division games are just so hard to sweep in our division, but I do personally feel we have more talent "on paper". I hate that term to be honest, but the main difference I think that separates the Giants from the Cowboys is line play. The Giants are just better in the trenches. But I'm not sleeping on the Cowboys by any means. They're a damn good team.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
But I'm not sleeping on the Cowboys by any means. They're a damn good team.
BBD is dangerous because he knows we're vulnerable to flattery.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
BBD is dangerous because he knows we're vulnerable to flattery.

In all seriousness, the NFC East is so damn even, its scary. The one thing that I feel that separates the Giants and Eagles from the Cowboys and Redskins is elite line play, but that by no means says that the Cowboys and Redskins can't wind up being better teams.

All 4 teams have ridiculous defenses. I honestly think the entire NFC East has 4 of the top 7 defenses in the league.

The Redskins are a team to watch out for. I think very highly of their defense, and if their offense can wake up, they'll be very dangerous. Health and depth like always will be huge for the East.

The whole division can turn upside down and it wouldn't shock me at all. Theres just a ridiculous amount of talent in our division, in every team. The "worst" in the East could potentially win almost every other division in the league, minus maybe the AFC North and AFC East, only bc the Steelers and Patriots would be hard to beat out.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with you about the East being even BBD. That's the reason why I haven't got so scared that there were no big splashes made by the Cowboys in free agency. Yeah I'll talk sh!t about all the other East teams, but I know how good they are. Even with that being said, there is too much talent on the Cowboys to ignore. I may be biased, but I think they've had Super Bowl caliber talent the past two seasons, and I still think they do. I'm a little scared of the Giants and Eagles, but at the same time I realize that in Dallas we have enough talent to beat them. I serious can't figure out why people are overlooking Felix coming back. While everyone is going , "ZOMG T.O. is gone! Oh the humanity!" I keep remembering that almost every time Felix touched the ball he made a big play. Then I remember that Marion had rib and toe injuries to deal with, and that he'll be 100% this season. I see these as weapons to go with the superb Giant and Eagles defenses.

The Redskins I usually don't fear, because the Cowboys seem to have the utmost confidence when playing them. Sure the Redskins have some talent on D, but it seems that the Cowboys always walk into the game knowing they can beat them. The Giants are like 50/50. It's like the Cowboys know they can win, but they don't think it's a big certainty like with the Redskins. It's usually a big time battle. The Eagles seem to get in the Cowboys head. Andy Reid has a damn good record against the Boys, and it seems to creep into the mentality of the Cowboys. I really wish they'd get over that, but I can't see it happening until McNabb leaves Philly or retires. What's funny is that I think the Cowboys could own the Eagle's D with Felix. Screens and flats all day with Felix would kill them. They'd probably be scared to blitz if Garrett played it smart with Felix, Witten, and Martellus.

The East is an exciting division to watch, but it sucks as a Cowboy fan. There's nothing more I would like than to play in a cupcake division with easy wins. lol

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with everything said here. All these teams are really good.

However, one thing that sticks in my craw is how the media approaches. I think this is emblimatic of how it's reported and I think it's a point of contention with Cowboy fans. This is from bloggingtheboys.com

Riddle me this Batman - (A line borrowed from Frank Gorshin and the old Batman TV series) Is there an anti- Cowboy bias in the media? Here is a recent scenario. The Cowboys release a certain aging receiver and they are slammed by the sports media and predicted to struggle in 2010.

During the same off season the New York Giants lose their number one receiver in Plaxico Burress, lose another receiver in Amani Toomer, lose a 1000 yard rusher in Derrick Ward and lose their successful Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and still the sports press picks the Giants to win the division and possibly the Super Bowl.

The Giants and the Cowboys split their two games last season indicating that the gap between them is relatively small and yet the loss of the Cowboys number one receiver is predicted to have a greater negative impact than the Giants loss of several starters. Go figure.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:42 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post

However, one thing that sticks in my craw is how the media approaches. I think this is emblimatic of how it's reported and I think it's a point of contention with Cowboy fans. This is from bloggingtheboys.com

Riddle me this Batman - (A line borrowed from Frank Gorshin and the old Batman TV series) Is there an anti- Cowboy bias in the media? Here is a recent scenario. The Cowboys release a certain aging receiver and they are slammed by the sports media and predicted to struggle in 2010.

During the same off season the New York Giants lose their number one receiver in Plaxico Burress, lose another receiver in Amani Toomer, lose a 1000 yard rusher in Derrick Ward and lose their successful Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and still the sports press picks the Giants to win the division and possibly the Super Bowl.

The Giants and the Cowboys split their two games last season indicating that the gap between them is relatively small and yet the loss of the Cowboys number one receiver is predicted to have a greater negative impact than the Giants loss of several starters. Go figure.
I read that too and thought it was a good point. I also agree E-man's point about Felix coming back. The guy only played in 6 freakin' games last year and he had defensive coordinators worried about him. If he can play a whole season this year, that will be huge. And I believe that Garrett will be smarter about utilizing him this year, too.

I think the wild card factor in the division is the Redskins. I don't know what to make of them. Yes, they signed Albert Haynesworth which is huge, but every year it seems like they make this gigantic splash in free agency and are poised to dominate the league, and nothing comes of it. Frankly, I'm more upset about them drafting Brian Orakpo. I hope they don't start building through the draft.

I'll be curious to see how the Giants are this year without Plax and Toomer. Smith is a good WR but he's not a #1. I'll be surprised if Nicks is a big factor as a rookie; wrs rarely produce big in their rookie seasons.

It chokes me to say it, but on paper, the Eagles look strongest, but that's only assuming that McNabb and Westbrook get through the season without a lot of injuries. I'll also be curious to see how their defense is without Johnson calling the shots. His successor may not be as creative even though he's been on Johnson's staff for years.

As for the Cowboys, if Tony can take better care of the football this year, I think we'll be fine offensively. On defense, I think we will have a better secondary but I'm a little worried about any LB not named Ware.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That article was exactly what I've been talking about. Plax meant a whole lot more to the Giants than T.O. did to Dallas. The Giants still have their top rushing game with 2 good backs, and a damn good line. Still, they lose two receivers, and their only replacements are a guy that's best suited for 2nd or 3rd, and a freaking rookie. I seriously don't get how people went gaga over the Giants replacing Plaxico with freaking Hakeem Nicks. I'm not saying the guy is going to suck. I'm just saying that he's a rookie that wasn't a world beater in college. Rookies at wideout always struggle. Sure you can give some examples like Boldin, Moss, Glenn, and Royal and Desean last year, but that's like me saying that Jason Williams will have a DROY and Pro Bowl year because DeMeco Ryans did. The Giants lost way more on offense than the Cowboys did, yet everyone is so sure fire that they've gotten sooooooo much better. They still have a good defense and run game, so that gives them the look of a contender. Still, people acting like they drafted Jerry Rice, and added Superman on their defense are just delusional.

The Eagles do have a good look on paper, but their line play is overrated. Their O-line isn't as good as people think, and Peters is going to get harassed big time.This is why I laugh at when people talk about how bad fans are in stupid threads. Everyone acts like Cowboy fans are giant retards that think everything the Cowboys do is Super Bowl worthy. That's ******** because if the Cowboys traded for Peters everyone would be saying that they got an overrated and overpaid fat ass, and Jerry is ruining the team for getting him. Since the Eagles got him they made a Super Bowl caliber pick, and the 11.5 sacks he gave up last year really happened in Madden. The Eagles are dangerous because they still have Donovan and Westbrook, and Desean looks like a real good find for them. Maclin could be another steal, and Reid is still good at what he does. But their defense loses one of the NFL's best masterminds, and they lose a leader in Dawkins. Their defense was good, but does anyone really think that losing a great like Jim Johnson won't effect them? Everything great that he brought to that team is now gone. All those cool as blitzes that everyone liked last year won't be dialed up by the same man. I don't care how you slice it, that's a huge obstacle to overcome. But don't worry folks. They got Stacy Andrews to go along with his brother Larry Allen.....err I mean Shawn. Putting those two already wins them the Super Bowl.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post

Media definitely hates the Cowboys and is not realistic.

I think they are a better team this year b/c a few key guys are in their prime and should do well.

I am not a 6-10 guy for this team and I agree "more has to come together" for the other 3 in the division in order to do better than last.

For us to do better, we just need to play better as a team (not a small task either) but not lie we are expecting rookie players and coaches to be good day 1.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Media definitely hates the Cowboys and is not realistic.

I think they are a better team this year b/c a few key guys are in their prime and should do well.

I am not a 6-10 guy for this team and I agree "more has to come together" for the other 3 in the division in order to do better than last.

For us to do better, we just need to play better as a team (not a small task either) but not lie we are expecting rookie players and coaches to be good day 1.
The only thing I'm hoping for this season from the rookies is that they will contribute on special teams and help us improve there. If they can do this, then I'll be happy with our rookies. I hope in a couple of years we'll see more than just special teams from guys like Jason Williams and Robert Brewster.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Media definitely hates the Cowboys
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a two way street when it comes to the media's coverage of the Cowboys. We are slurped as much as we are scrutinized, it just comes with the territory. We have to deal with a week of hype and optimism from them after a big win, and then deal with being overanaylzed and bashed after a bad loss. It's just the way it is.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:36 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FO realz?

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post

FO realz?
HAHA that would be awesome.:D

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:34 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post

FO realz?
It's things like this that make me wish I was a billionaire. If I was one of Jerry's kids you couldn't keep me from playing XBox at the stadium all day.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
It's a two way street when it comes to the media's coverage of the Cowboys. We are slurped as much as we are scrutinized, it just comes with the territory. We have to deal with a week of hype and optimism from them after a big win, and then deal with being overanaylzed and bashed after a bad loss. It's just the way it is.
I think there's far more negative than positive.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Theres some good convo in here. I'm going to cut and paste how I feel about the Giants WR situation from what I posted in our Giants forum.

Quote:
I'm not that worried about our pass game to be honest. First and foremost, people make a big deal of Eli not throwing any TDs to WRs when Burress went down, but thats not all that shocking.

He threw TDs to his RBs and TE, because they are our only real goalline threats at receiver when Burress was gone. None of our WRs are legit Endzone threats with their size.

But more importantly, Eli didn't really throw many TDs to begin with, even with Burress. We're a running team. We pound the ball into the endzone every time we get near the goalline. Eli doesn't throw for many TDs to begin with, mainly because he doesn't need to. We run it in. To give an analogy, Phillip Rivers got many of his TDs off PA pass at the goalline. It was wide open every time. (I know this because of Turner screwing my fantasy team every time he did this). How many times did the Giants ever run PA pass at the goalline? Maybe like 4 times max last year. We almost always just pound it in, or be morons (thanks Gilbride, you douchebag) and run spread at the goalline. Eli could have easily got at least 6 more TDs to his stats with a better play caller.

And the notion that we didn't throw any TDs to WRs gives this false sense that we couldn't move the ball without Burress. This is absolutely false. We had no troubles at all moving into field goal range. Where we missed Burress was beyond that. When we got in the redzone, we lacked sufficient targets to make a difference in that shortened field when its easier to cover guys.

So we can move the ball, the only real issue is redzone offense.

Well, what did we do to alleviate this? We got Beckum as a 2nd big body target for redzone throws. We got Barden who is our new fade route guy. Nicks is a big body red zone threat.

We dramatically increased the speed of our WR core by the subtraction of Burress and Toomer. We now have guys who can fly, and that stretching ability will lead to big results. The results may not be as consistent as it was in the past, but we will have bigger plays, which we severely lacked the past couple of years even with Burress.

Also, as Shock has mentioned, the playbook is going to be different. So we'll no longer have square pegs in round holes, like trying to make Hixon fill in for Burress and his role in our route trees.

I'm not worried about our WR core at all to be honest. I think our offense may not be as dynamic as it was with Burress those first 11 games, but it will be fine without him. My guess is our starting 3 WRs will be Hixon, Smith and Manningham.

Thats 2 field stretchers on the edges, something we did not have last year. And it should be noted, Hixon was tearing it up prior to getting injured. Once he got injured, he started getting shut down. Im not gonna make an excuse and say thats why we failed without Burress, but if you saw how he played before the injury and how he ate single coverage up, compared to how he played after the injury, there was a significant change in his performance.

Now some of that was better coverage, but some of it was also his own inability to explode off the line the same way he did early in the season.

I'm also one of the few that is a big believer in Manningham. I think he breaks out for us this year. But thats just me.

Also, we've been missing a legit WR out of the backfield for quite some time now. We have no pass catching RB who can keep OLBs honest in their zone coverages. Because of this, these OLBs/Slot CBs can focus in on Steve Smith and take away his intermediate routes from the slot. A RB who can catch can stretch out that LB and give Smith more space to operate.

Now with Bradshaw, and Brown, we have that pass catcher in the backfield. I expect Bradshaw to be a major X factor this year. And if not, Brown will be. Brown has already surprised many with his pass catching ability and his pass protection. Eli likes him a lot too.

But I think Bradshaw is going to be the main X factor in the backfield, not only as a pass catcher, but as a big play RB as well. He was always better than Ward. Now he'll get his chance to shine.

As for the Cowboys, I also agree that the woes the media is painting of the offense without Owens are inaccurate. I personally feel that Roy Williams will do fine as a #1 WR, and I feel that Miles Austin is going to be a solid #2 (fantasy sleeper btw).

Im not nearly as high on Felix Jones as you guys are, but he is still a weapon who can make plays. I honestly think his 9 YPC was very misleading (come on guys, he ran it like 30 times all season, and he was always the 1 guy on the field that wasn't accounted for in that lineup). But he's still a game changer and if used correctly, can add a spark to this offense.

I think the real question marks are the play of the oline, and Garrett. Garrett needs to do a better job calling plays, and that oline needs to improve in all facets of the game. For such big guys, they are not very good run blockers, and pass protection was atrocious last year, especially for a scheme that loves throwing it deep.

If that doesn't change, nothing will change. Thats the real key to this offense. It always starts up front. Thats been Dallas's ultimate issue for quite some time now.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It is interesting to compare the 2 teams, both with losing their #1 controversial wideouts and getting back to a run-based offensive gameplan. As for Felix: his YPC is misleading, but it was clear any time he was on the field that he possesses more speed than any single player on our offense. He's got speed we've been searching for. Against the blitz heavy D's of the East, he's going to come in handy big time on screens and swing passes, as he displayed in his short exposure last season. Thanks for the contribution BBD.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

No prob :)

I definitely agree that Felix has speed that can kill, especially against blitzing fronts. The Giants had trouble defending the wildcat as well, so the new wildcat packages involving Felix should be effective against our fronts.

Although the introduction of Phillips and Boley could help change that, but going off of last year's production, the wildcat with Felix should have success against us.

I think a key for Felix is going to be how he reacts to the extra attention he'll receive now. Last year, during limited action, he was really the guy nobody accounted for. And he made teams pay for it. But this year, with no TO, and since not all teams will feel the need to double Williams, Felix will get accounted for.

How he will react to that, and how he's used by Garrett will be key for him. I think he should definitely see more action in spread sets, but its also hard to bench Barber.

The guy is a great blocker, can catch out of the backfield, and can run like hell, so its hard to bench a guy like Barber for Felix just because Barber has proven more.

I expect 10 touches a game. Thats only if Garrett is committed to the run game. He hasn't shown that commitment yet, but he should. Only time will really tell.

Edit: By bench, i don't mean start Felix over Barber. I mean taking Barber off the field more than necessary. The guy is an everydown back, and a good one, so its hard to sub him out consistently from a coach's perspective.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd look for the Cowboys to run a play where they in essence clearout and run an option route with the RB. It's called steamer, and if Jones runs that against various defenses I can expect to see some big time plays, especially if Pierce has the RB on the play.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I just found out my wife is pregnant with a boy. We are seriously contemplating on naming him Dallas. Is that bad or good?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So I just found out my wife is pregnant with a boy. We are seriously contemplating on naming him Dallas. Is that bad or good?
Congrats. My son's middle name is Dallas. Hope your wife goes for it.:D

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

Quote:

In all seriousness, the NFC East is so damn even, its scary. The one thing that I feel that separates the Giants and Eagles from the Cowboys and Redskins is elite line play, but that by no means says that the Cowboys and Redskins can't wind up being better teams.

All 4 teams have ridiculous defenses. I honestly think the entire NFC East has 4 of the top 7 defenses in the league.

The Redskins are a team to watch out for. I think very highly of their defense, and if their offense can wake up, they'll be very dangerous. Health and depth like always will be huge for the East.

The whole division can turn upside down and it wouldn't shock me at all. Theres just a ridiculous amount of talent in our division, in every team. The "worst" in the East could potentially win almost every other division in the league, minus maybe the AFC North and AFC East, only bc the Steelers and Patriots would be hard to beat out.
Redskins and Eagles play a similiar style. They always have 8 men close to the line of scrimmage. Crazy thing is we play both teams 2 a year and have not figured them out yet! It is coaching....Giants have better luck than we do....Coaching! G-men have the most talented D in the east. They don't need to bring in an 8th man to stop the run. Boys need to play to there ability. Eagles and Skins kill you with stunts and blitzes.......
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Theres some good convo in here. I'm going to cut and paste how I feel about the Giants WR situation from what I posted in our Giants forum.

As for the Cowboys, I also agree that the woes the media is painting of the offense without Owens are inaccurate. I personally feel that Roy Williams will do fine as a #1 WR, and I feel that Miles Austin is going to be a solid #2 (fantasy sleeper btw).

Im not nearly as high on Felix Jones as you guys are, but he is still a weapon who can make plays. I honestly think his 9 YPC was very misleading (come on guys, he ran it like 30 times all season, and he was always the 1 guy on the field that wasn't accounted for in that lineup). But he's still a game changer and if used correctly, can add a spark to this offense.

I think the real question marks are the play of the oline, and Garrett. Garrett needs to do a better job calling plays, and that oline needs to improve in all facets of the game. For such big guys, they are not very good run blockers, and pass protection was atrocious last year, especially for a scheme that loves throwing it deep.

If that doesn't change, nothing will change. Thats the real key to this offense. It always starts up front. Thats been Dallas's ultimate issue for quite some time now.
I'm right with you on the line play, and the Garrett question. I have faith that the O-line can get it done. They're a talented bunch, so I think they can pull it together. It doesn't mean that they are guaranteed to do so, but I think with Kosier and Holland coming back and competing they'll be better off than last year. Garrett needs to become better all around. He has too many weapons to have defenses easily figuring the offense out. I'm more worried about him than anything, because if the defense knows what you're doing the play is pretty much dead.

I also agree with you about the Giants offense being more run oriented. I know Plaxico will have an effect, but they still have 2 good backs and a damn good line. The loss of Plaixco will make it easier for defenses to cover, but it's really hard to stop of strong running game like the Giants. A good running game usually depends more on skill as opposed to how you draw things up, and that's tough to battle. If the O-lineman beat your front 7 up, the play is a success no matter how you slice it. I really wish the Cowboys had the type of line chemistry the Giants have.

Quote:
Congrats on your boy coming D! Dallas isn't a bad name, so run with it if you like it as a name. It's alot better than Blanket, or Apple, or Cinnamon, or something crazy like that.

Please don't tell me any of y'all on the forum has a kid named Blanket, Apple, or Cinnamon. lol

Old 07-03-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Ryan West

I like the name Dallas. I say you roll with it.

Last edited by D-Unit : 07-03-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 02:26 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Congratulations!! Hmm it dependes on your surname... would it sound good next to Dallas?

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote