Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This whole thing with Garrett interests me. It reminds me of our fan base and Gilbride. What issues do you guys have with the playcalling?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
This whole thing with Garrett interests me. It reminds me of our fan base and Gilbride. What issues do you guys have with the playcalling?
1. He abandons the run too quickly when losing

2. He does not develop the run early in the game

3. The blocking schemes are all about bulk and refuses to put guys in movement. One of our best last year was v Washington in game 2 where the Guards and Tackles where pulling -- was never run again in 2008 after that.

4. WR Routes always seem to be way down the field (hello slant or cross) which forces deeper drops and more Romo adventures

5. TE and RB routes are always the same (sit in the middle of a zone) and refuses to get the RB or TE deep into seems or on wheel routes

6. What ever happened to the 3 step drop? Garrett forget about them.

7. Telling Romo to stop running completely in 2008 and was less effective than 2007 because of it. Romo got us big 1st down in 2007 with his feet. Last year I can't remember one. Not only that his feet set up some of his long pass plays if anyone care to think about it.

8. Fumbles -- lots of them last year

9. OL can't pick up a blitz

10. Pass happy
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
1. He abandons the run too quickly when losing

2. He does not develop the run early in the game

3. The blocking schemes are all about bulk and refuses to put guys in movement. One of our best last year was v Washington in game 2 where the Guards and Tackles where pulling -- was never run again in 2008 after that.

4. WR Routes always seem to be way down the field (hello slant or cross) which forces deeper drops and more Romo adventures

5. TE and RB routes are always the same (sit in the middle of a zone) and refuses to get the RB or TE deep into seems or on wheel routes

6. What ever happened to the 3 step drop? Garrett forget about them.

7. Telling Romo to stop running completely in 2008 and was less effective than 2007 because of it. Romo got us big 1st down in 2007 with his feet. Last year I can't remember one. Not only that his feet set up some of his long pass plays if anyone care to think about it.

8. Fumbles -- lots of them last year

9. OL can't pick up a blitz

10. Pass happy

# 8 & # 9 are on the players and position coaches. That wouldn't be his responsibilties.

Also, same thing I tell Giants fans when they hate on Gilbride. You don't know if there is a "CMW" or Check with Me play on. That would mean Romo has 2 plays to chose from when he is at the line depending on the front and defense shown, pre snap. I know, Gilbride does that with Eli, and Eli makes the call. So say if we pass 3 straight times, people tend to blame Gilbride for the pass happiness. But in reality, as a fan, no one knows if Gilbride called 3 straight passing plays OR if 1 passing play was called, and Eli called the other 2 based on the coverage.

As for as not running the ball, I am not sure about that because I don't watch that many Dallas games. But the RB routes are designed based on the longer routes X,Y, F, and Z are all running. So in essence they are probably clearing out and isolating Barber or Jones 1 on 1 with a LB. I worked as a coach with Garrett, and the play we ran was basically that. We called the play steamer, and basically had the 3 Wrs clearout and gain width, have Y run a crossing route, 12 yards, and then run an option with the RB on the LB. It worked very, very well. And alot of the plays were what you guys run, and we ran it very well at this charity coaching event.

Also, alot your system, from what I understand uses the Air Croyel number system, which Turner & Martz came up with. So I wouldn't be suprised if the system always has a deep route, or 2, and Witten running a cross, big sit, post or corner, while the RB is running to the flat or an option route. But I will see this year and try to tape the games and break them down and post them.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
# 8 & # 9 are on the players and position coaches. That wouldn't be his responsibilties.

Also, same thing I tell Giants fans when they hate on Gilbride. You don't know if there is a "CMW" or Check with Me play on. That would mean Romo has 2 plays to chose from when he is at the line depending on the front and defense shown, pre snap. I know, Gilbride does that with Eli, and Eli makes the call. So say if we pass 3 straight times, people tend to blame Gilbride for the pass happiness. But in reality, as a fan, no one knows if Gilbride called 3 straight passing plays OR if 1 passing play was called, and Eli called the other 2 based on the coverage.

As for as not running the ball, I am not sure about that because I don't watch that many Dallas games. But the RB routes are designed based on the longer routes X,Y, F, and Z are all running. So in essence they are probably clearing out and isolating Barber or Jones 1 on 1 with a LB. I worked as a coach with Garrett, and the play we ran was basically that. We called the play steamer, and basically had the 3 Wrs clearout and gain width, have Y run a crossing route, 12 yards, and then run an option with the RB on the LB. It worked very, very well. And alot of the plays were what you guys run, and we ran it very well at this charity coaching event.

Also, alot your system, from what I understand uses the Air Croyel number system, which Turner & Martz came up with. So I wouldn't be suprised if the system always has a deep route, or 2, and Witten running a cross, big sit, post or corner, while the RB is running to the flat or an option route. But I will see this year and try to tape the games and break them down and post them.
Would love to hear non-fan comments.

Fumbles can be taught. Look at Tiki. Picking up blitz to.

While I agree these are "executional details" in the hands of the players it is up to the coaches to reinforce every stinking day what to do.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:46 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:

Interesting post. When was it you worked with Garrett as a coach?
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
Interesting post. When was it you worked with Garrett as a coach?
Couple weeks ago.. His annual charity event, where inner city kids come, and former coaches, and current players come and we create like 12 teams with different coaches on them. And then we coach them up, and each team plays against each other. We have the kids for like 6-8 hours, and teach and coach them up. I managed to get invited, and was on John Garrett's, your TEs coaches team.

Miles Austin and Jason Witten were there too and were coaching on their respective teams too. And alot of the stuff we ran was what the cowboys run. So I got to see the numbering system, though it was probably scaled down for HS kids. But all in all it was a very fun day! I coached the TEs, while Coach Garrett was the HS/OC of the team.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Would love to hear non-fan comments.

Fumbles can be taught. Look at Tiki. Picking up blitz to.

While I agree these are "executional details" in the hands of the players it is up to the coaches to reinforce every stinking day what to do.
Yeah but the positional coach has to do it. Coughlin was a WR coach, and basically came up with a drill for Tiki. Wade is a defensive coach, so may or may not have stuff on that. I was a TE coach, and if a defensive guy needed to be coached up on something, I certainly wouldn't be able to help him. If I was the HS I'd ask my D staff to fix the issue.

Picking up blitzes has to do with the Indy, and team practice periods of practice. Your OL coach has to be on top of that, and the OC can come and watch it and fix it, but usually the OC is busy walking around to each position. That's why you have a position coach.

Yeah i am sure the coaches are reinforcing it. I was at the Falcons OTAs and was shadowing the TE coach and he was going over everything everyday. But then it's up to the guys to have it sink in. If it doesn't they don't play.

The eye in the sky doesn't lie. That's a coaching saying, and it's basically telling you everything you do at the pro level is taped and then gone over and graded. So if you fail to learn, it's on tape, for all to see. There is so much you can do as a coach in drilling a certain technique.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with what Rob said about the playcalling except for 8 and 9, and some of 7. 8 and 9 seem more on positional coaches and players than Garrett, and number 7 can be attributed to Garrett, but half of that is on Tony too.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So I just found out my wife is pregnant with a boy. We are seriously contemplating on naming him Dallas. Is that bad or good?
Congrats

Dallas could work but like someone said only if it works with your last name.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
So I just found out my wife is pregnant with a boy. We are seriously contemplating on naming him Dallas. Is that bad or good?
congrats D. My wife and I just had our first child, a boy on the 3rd. He's already been outfitted with some sweet Cowboys gear.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:09 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd be very interested in that, looking forward to it. Your breakdowns are always in-depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:26 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'd be very interested in that, looking forward to it. Your breakdowns are always in-depth.
Thanks man. It should be interesting to see how your offense works. Just like when I do giants games, you can really see what part is fanbase myth vs. what's actually true. That's really the reason why I do breakdowns. You can see what's actually happening.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks man. It should be interesting to see how your offense works. Just like when I do giants games, you can really see what part is fanbase myth vs. what's actually true. That's really the reason why I do breakdowns. You can see what's actually happening.
That sounds really cool. I just got DVR, so I might actually record the games myself.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
That sounds really cool. I just got DVR, so I might actually record the games myself.
I have dvr as well. Just got it after this past season with direct tv. But I normally use the good ole fashion VHS tape, because if the game is good, I can always pop the tape, and keep it for the future. For instance, the Pats-Giants superbowl I still have on tape. Others that used drv sometimes lost it or had it deleted. But I may try dvr just to see how it is come game day.

But honestly that's the best way for the avg. fan to learn. Just tape the game, and watch a play 2 or 3 times, and focus in on different stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

^Just like being in the film room. I remember those days to where coach would rewind the play about 10 times. If you did good you were in heaven. If you messed up on the play you were like, "Damn coach lets move to the next play!" lol

Old 07-09-2009, 01:24 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
^Just like being in the film room. I remember those days to where coach would rewind the play about 10 times. If you did good you were in heaven. If you messed up on the play you were like, "Damn coach lets move to the next play!" lol
Yup, that's how I started doing game breakdowns. After I coached, and the season was over, I started taping Giants games, and then broke down their games, to see what was going on. I was a TE's coach, so I stuck to the offensive side of the ball for the giants. I actually posted a bunch of the breakdowns throughout the seasons in our giants section.

But it's a fun thing especially to see why a play is successful or not.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yup, that's how I started doing game breakdowns. After I coached, and the season was over, I started taping Giants games, and then broke down their games, to see what was going on. I was a TE's coach, so I stuck to the offensive side of the ball for the giants. I actually posted a bunch of the breakdowns throughout the seasons in our giants section.

But it's a fun thing especially to see why a play is successful or not.
I'm looking forward to your breakdowns for the 09 season. This sounds like something to fill in those 5 days in between football days during the season.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:04 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I'm looking forward to your breakdowns for the 09 season. This sounds like something to fill in those 5 days in between football days during the season.
Yeah they but they take a long time to do. If I start a breakdown on sunday or monday, I am usually done the next sunday, or like monday or tuesday the week after. It's a pain staking process of going by play by, and then drawing out running and passing plays. From there you tally on the formations, and then fill all the information in the blitz composite, front composite, and coverage composite. Let me see if I can find one that I did in the past.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

http://savefile.com/files/2150238

Giants-GB Overtime Playoff Game Breakdown
Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

CRAP! My Windows Media isn't letting me watch the link. Dammit Microsoft!

Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...#leavecomments

Funny if not so sad.

But yes, of course, he is a beast and the next Kellen Winslow / Mark Bavaro cross over.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/jessica-si...-romo/25140?nc

Tony Romo dumps Jessica Simpson.

Dammit, this isn't good for the NFC East teams not named the Cowboys. :D
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/jessica-si...-romo/25140?nc

Tony Romo dumps Jessica Simpson.

Dammit, this isn't good for the NFC East teams not named the Cowboys. :D
Oh no! What will we talk about now?

:D
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
Oh no! What will we talk about now?

:D
the next hottie he hooks up with. :)

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:50 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...#leavecomments

Funny if not so sad.

But yes, of course, he is a beast and the next Kellen Winslow / Mark Bavaro cross over.
W......T.......F?!!!