Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Dude Parcells turned around Flozell and Gurode's career also. Not exactly fair to just say Colombo.
That's like crediting Todd Haley for turning TO's career around. Flozell and Gurode were already good talents and Parcells didn't bring them aboard. In fact, Parcells drafted Al Johnson... a Center, the year after Jerry drafted Gurode... a Center. Parcells' plan was to move Gurode to Guard. Thankfully, he realized his own mistake.

Parcells absolutely SUCKED at evaluating OL talent. He brought us Al Johnson, Ryan Young, Jacob Rogers, Stephen Peterman, Rob Petitti, EJ Whitley, Pat McQuistan, Marco Rivera, Stephen Proctor... am I missing anybody?

Parcells was a defensive guy, is a defensive guy, will always be a defensive guy. As far as finding us defensive talent, he did a great job. Offensively... can't really say half as much. Romo was Payton's suggestion. Witten came before Parcells got here. He did see something in Crayton and brought Terry Glenn on board. How bout "his guy" Julius Jones? He did bring us Barber, but he whiffed a lot on offense.

You are a guy who claims to call it like it is. Parcells was good for us. Not great. Great would've been at least a playoff win. But he was very good. Nevertheless, he had his share of flaws and even you have to admit that. Otherwise, you're not being honest with yourself.

Last edited by D-Unit : 07-28-2009 at 02:06 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree. Parcell's is a lot like TO in that he brings a lot of positives, but there are also some real negatives that come along with that.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I think it's unfair and highly premature to call him a bust, especially considering he wasn't taken in the first round.
Anything less than a 5 rounder, I consider a bust if they don't pan out.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's like crediting Todd Haley for turning TO's career around. Flozell and Gurode were already good talents and Parcells didn't bring them aboard. In fact, Parcells drafted Al Johnson... a Center, the year after Jerry drafted Gurode... a Center. Parcells' plan was to move Gurode to Guard. Thankfully, he realized his own mistake.

Parcells absolutely SUCKED at evaluating OL talent. He brought us Al Johnson, Ryan Young, Jacob Rogers, Stephen Peterman, Rob Petitti, EJ Whitley, Pat McQuistan, Marco Rivera, Stephen Proctor... am I missing anybody?

Parcells was a defensive guy, is a defensive guy, will always be a defensive guy. As far as finding us defensive talent, he did a great job. Offensively... can't really say half as much. Romo was Payton's suggestion. Witten came before Parcells got here. He did see something in Crayton and brought Terry Glenn on board. How bout "his guy" Julius Jones? He did bring us Barber, but he whiffed a lot on offense.

You are a guy who claims to call it like it is. Parcells was good for us. Not great. Great would've been at least a playoff win. But he was very good. Nevertheless, he had his share of flaws and even you have to admit that. Otherwise, you're not being honest with yourself.
I am not saying they did well getting OL, I am saying Flo and Gurode were NEAR BUSTS when he got to Dallas and for that he deserves credit.

That is all folks...... no need to read anything else into the comment D.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Anything less than a 5 rounder, I consider a bust if they don't pan out.
Well, even if we assume that right, which I'm not sure I agree, the dude hasn't even signed his contract yet. Way too early for this D. Even if you turn our right, it's way too early.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 07-28-2009, 02:49 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anything less that 5th rounder? ugh. I hate when people say Stanback is a bust. The guy was a 4th round project. It doesnt sound right. I'd reserve "bust" for 1st rounders and higher profile 2nd and 3rd rounders. I normally only use it w/ 1st rounders. That's just me, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
I am not saying they did well getting OL, I am saying Flo and Gurode were NEAR BUSTS when he got to Dallas and for that he deserves credit.

That is all folks...... no need to read anything else into the comment D.
Gurode was a 2nd year player when Parcells got here. Bust?

As for Flozell... I'll give him some credit there. Full credit? No. Some credit, meh... guess so. Not like Flo had a single's day worth of good coaching before Parcells got here. LOL.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Anything less that 5th rounder? ugh. I hate when people say Stanback is a bust. The guy was a 4th round project. It doesnt sound right. I'd reserve "bust" for 1st rounders and higher profile 2nd and 3rd rounders. I normally only use it w/ 1st rounders. That's just me, though.
For me, I find value in a 4th round pick. We have had a great deal of success drafting very good players in Round 4 as do a lot of teams. If we trade away a 4th rounder, I'm expecting a non-bust type player.

I can see some exceptions... ie. if we have multiple 4ths and want to gamble on a project (Stanback/Canty) though. So it's not so black and white.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:15 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But you see why Brewster is now so close to bust status... We're already talking about finding another guy to fill his spot on the roster.
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course someone has to fill his spot. He's out for the season! You don't expect the team to go into the season with 52 men do you? They have to get someone to fill his spot, or else they'll be one man short for the season. Once again, do you think that Jerry and Wade knew that Brewster would get injured before taking him? These things happen man, and it's just a part of the game. If your boy Mauluga tore his ACL in training camp, does that make him a bust already? He's a rookie for goodness sakes. He hasn't had time to show anything before getting injured, so let's not make snap judgments on guys.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course someone has to fill his spot. He's out for the season! You don't expect the team to go into the season with 52 men do you? They have to get someone to fill his spot, or else they'll be one man short for the season. Once again, do you think that Jerry and Wade knew that Brewster would get injured before taking him? These things happen man, and it's just a part of the game. If your boy Mauluga tore his ACL in training camp, does that make him a bust already? He's a rookie for goodness sakes. He hasn't had time to show anything before getting injured, so let's not make snap judgments on guys.
Honestly, I know he's not a bust yet. I'm just overemphasizing the fact that the path he's on is one step closer to bust status. This is no minor injury. Out for the season before training camp starts is major injury. I understand it's not fair to blame Jerry, but ultimately he is the guy who drafted him. Fair or not. Life's not fair. So we basically drafted damaged goods. Had he sustained this injury in predraft workouts, he probably would've gone undrafted. So now we wait. ...and while we wait, he loses time developing his game. In this league, if you're not going forward, your going backwards. Then we are on search for his replacement. What if that is through trade? What if we give up a future pick for that replacement? Brewster finds himself lower and lower on the depth chart. What if that guy turns out to be very good? Brewster will only have a harder time to start. IMO, Brewster had a chance to fight for the starting LG spot this year. Not out of the gates as a starter, but later in the season take over when Kosier fails and Holland either gets hurt again or eats himself out of the league. I even had hopes of him being able to back up RT in case something happened to Columbo.

See you think it's just going to be 1 year and he'll be back to fill the same opportunities that he's faced with now. Well, my point I was trying to make (that you laughed at) was that the opportunities he had now to seize, may or may not be there next year at this time. We may fill his spot with another body... we may draft another guy or two at the same position in next year's draft...

Heck, Jerry might not even sign him if he now tries to lowball him because of the injury... and that would definitely spell BUST.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Had he sustained this injury in predraft workouts, he probably would've gone undrafted. So now we wait. ...and while we wait, he loses time developing his game.
This is really flawed logic.

IF the kid can't play, your critique is right, but this is a non-sensical argument.

If any kid had been injured before the draft, it would have affected his status. So what?

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 07-28-2009, 04:05 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gurode was a 2nd year player when Parcells got here. Bust?

As for Flozell... I'll give him some credit there. Full credit? No. Some credit, meh... guess so. Not like Flo had a single's day worth of good coaching before Parcells got here. LOL.
Remember the whole "we got rid/let go of Torrin Tucker b/c he was a bad influence on" Gurode discussion from 2006? Al Johnson starting ring a bell? He was drafted a year after Gurode to boot. 2002 for Gurode and 2003 for Al Johnson.

No, all indications by end of season 2005 was Gurode was going to be a bust but he got turned around when shifted to Center and they sent Tucker to Tampa in 2006.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 07-28-2009 at 04:11 PM.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Honestly, I know he's not a bust yet. I'm just overemphasizing the fact that the path he's on is one step closer to bust status. This is no minor injury. Out for the season before training camp starts is major injury. I understand it's not fair to blame Jerry, but ultimately he is the guy who drafted him. Fair or not. Life's not fair. So we basically drafted damaged goods. Had he sustained this injury in predraft workouts, he probably would've gone undrafted. So now we wait. ...and while we wait, he loses time developing his game. In this league, if you're not going forward, your going backwards. Then we are on search for his replacement. What if that is through trade? What if we give up a future pick for that replacement? Brewster finds himself lower and lower on the depth chart. What if that guy turns out to be very good? Brewster will only have a harder time to start. IMO, Brewster had a chance to fight for the starting LG spot this year. Not out of the gates as a starter, but later in the season take over when Kosier fails and Holland either gets hurt again or eats himself out of the league. I even had hopes of him being able to back up RT in case something happened to Columbo.

See you think it's just going to be 1 year and he'll be back to fill the same opportunities that he's faced with now. Well, my point I was trying to make (that you laughed at) was that the opportunities he had now to seize, may or may not be there next year at this time. We may fill his spot with another body... we may draft another guy or two at the same position in next year's draft...

Heck, Jerry might not even sign him if he now tries to lowball him because of the injury... and that would definitely spell BUST.
The thing is that we're dealing in "what ifs" here. I know it's a major injury, but I cannot overstate the fact that he's a rookie. Rookies don't get one year leashes. It's a sizable setback, but it's not the end of the world for him. You're thinking too far ahead by thinking he'll be the guy when Kosier and Holland fails. How is it a foregone conclusion that they'll both fail? Kosier is much better than people give him credit for, and he is probably going to start again unless Holland edges him out. What about these two make you think they're automatically going to suck? I have a ton of faith in Kosier, and I think us knee jerk Cowboys are way too hard on him. Holland has talent and starting experience, so if he doesn't win the job he's already giving good depth in case Kosier or Davis goes out. We wanted guard depth just in case, and having two starting caliber guys with plenty of experience is the right way to go. Holland is leaps and bounds the better backup option than Brewster right now.

The only way Brewster was going to get on the field is if Davis and/or Kosier/Holland got hurt. If Davis gets hurt then that's already a huge blow anyway, and I would bet that the coaching staff would trust Kosier or Holland to replace Davis over a rookie. If Columbo goes down, have we forgotten that Kosier has started many games at tackle before? He can slide over there while Holland takes the other spot, and I actually think they'd put McQuistan or Free over there since they've got more experience in the system. Brewster was going to be an emergency guy for now, and I bet they weren't planning on using him until 2010 and further on. Unless Brewster was a beast, any situation to where he gets playing time was going to be a bad bet. Either someone else sucks, or there is an injury. I hope the guy is talented, and I hate the fact that he's gotten injured. I just think we need to calm down before choking some hookers.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
This is really flawed logic.

IF the kid can't play, your critique is right, but this is a non-sensical argument.

If any kid had been injured before the draft, it would have affected his status. So what?
So what I'm saying is we wasted the pick on Brewster, when we could've used it some other way that could've helped us more. There's no way that is flawed logic... because he IS out for the season. We don't draft him if we know he'd be in this situation. The situation is unkind. Unfair. But it is undeniable. Someone has to take the blame and that man is Jerry.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First practice tomorrow. hooray. Everyone is good to go except Tim Anderson and Stephen Hodge. That includes Stanback and Folk who have been cleared to do everything. I'm excited. We're getting close.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-28-2009, 11:57 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sure most of you read everything on DMN...but interesting FO stats that came up.

When newman came back to the lineup we had the #2 pass defense in the NFL!

With the adjusted sack stat they compile we sacked the QB a league high 9.9% of time he dropped back. That number is staggering to me. That is awesome...We can only expect the same this year without Stewart's tool self in the way. Sounds crazy to say and goes against the norm...but I think it's realistic based on what has happened in the offseason.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I'm sure most of you read everything on DMN...but interesting FO stats that came up.

When newman came back to the lineup we had the #2 pass defense in the NFL!

With the adjusted sack stat they compile we sacked the QB a league high 9.9% of time he dropped back. That number is staggering to me. That is awesome...We can only expect the same this year without Stewart's tool self in the way. Sounds crazy to say and goes against the norm...but I think it's realistic based on what has happened in the offseason.
More reason why Newman is legitimately an elite corner. I've enjoyed watching him play so much here, and I hope it rubs off on the youngsters.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:11 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I'm very happy that Jerry was able to pawn off Henry for Kitna. Carson Palmer spoke highly of the things he learned from him during his days in Cincy.

...and wiping our hands clean of Henry is like addition by subtraction.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
So what I'm saying is we wasted the pick on Brewster, when we could've used it some other way that could've helped us more. There's no way that is flawed logic... because he IS out for the season. We don't draft him if we know he'd be in this situation. The situation is unkind. Unfair. But it is undeniable. Someone has to take the blame and that man is Jerry.
You can't blame JJ for him getting injured. If you don't like the pick, that's fine, but to say it's a wasted pick BECAUSE now he's injured is using hindsight and that is flawed.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You can't blame JJ for him getting injured. If you don't like the pick, that's fine, but to say it's a wasted pick BECAUSE now he's injured is using hindsight and that is flawed.
I know that is hindsight. But that doesn't mean it's not a wasted pick when you consider your decreased value on your return on investment. Maybe he still makes something out of his career. But the fact remains that he's out for his entire rookie season. Someone has to take the blame. Other GMs get fired all the time for making picks that don't pan out for whatever reason (injury to the players included). It's just that our GM doesn't have to own up to anyone except himself. But the blame is on him if Brewster doesn't pan out. ..and the blame is on him for making a pick that won't contribute at all in his rookie season. The blame is on him for making the pick on Brewster.

That said, if Brewster becomes a Pro Bowler, Jerry also gets the credit. I'm being fair on both sides. But right now, it looks bad on him.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
More reason why Newman is legitimately an elite corner. I've enjoyed watching him play so much here, and I hope it rubs off on the youngsters.
Newman was a Jerry pick. ...and even if Bob still wants to praise Bill to a fault that he blinds himself from the truth, the truth is that T-New has been a saving grace for this team and has lived up to every expectation. I'm really excited about our secondary this year. Should really help things in the Front 7. We should be among the top teams in sacks again if we can replace Greg Ellis' impact. You'd think a 3rd year 1st rounder in Anthony Spencer should be expected to do just that. Spencer is a Wade pick, imo. If he fails, that's on Wade.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the whole situation with Brewster, I just wanted to point out that the Patriots drafted Tyrone McKenzie in the 3rd round to play Inside and Outside LB for them, and intended for him to be an immediate impact player this year because it's a position of need for them.

They lost him for the season way back in OTA's, he didn't even get that far, and it stings alot worse for them because they expected him to play quite a bit this year.

Sucks, but I don't think anyone is assuming he is, or will be a bust already, maybe because it was a Belicheck pick people give stuff like that the benefit of the doubt, then if it happens to a Jerry pick people assume the worst right off the bat.

At least Brewster wasn't a guy we were going into 09 depending on playing a significant role, he could of used the reps but if he ever got into a real game we were in trouble anyway.

This makes me wish we had taken William Beatty or Max Unger even more now, but I just wanted to point out this happened with New England this year and I haven't really heard anyone pointing out how bad of a pick it was or that he's a bust already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
With the whole situation with Brewster, I just wanted to point out that the Patriots drafted Tyrone McKenzie in the 3rd round to play Inside and Outside LB for them, and intended for him to be an immediate impact player this year because it's a position of need for them.

They lost him for the season way back in OTA's, he didn't even get that far, and it stings alot worse for them because they expected him to play quite a bit this year.

Sucks, but I don't think anyone is assuming he is, or will be a bust already, maybe because it was a Belicheck pick people give stuff like that the benefit of the doubt, then if it happens to a Jerry pick people assume the worst right off the bat.

At least Brewster wasn't a guy we were going into 09 depending on playing a significant role, he could of used the reps but if he ever got into a real game we were in trouble anyway.

This makes me wish we had taken William Beatty or Max Unger even more now, but I just wanted to point out this happened with New England this year and I haven't really heard anyone pointing out how bad of a pick it was or that he's a bust already.
Nobody is bustin' Jerry's chops in the media about this. It's just our discussion here. That's all. To the rest of the NFL world, people don't even know who Brewster is and that he was a 3rd round pick for the Cowboys. Same with McKenzie. Nobody busted Belichick loud enough for anyone else to know. ...but I bet people on bigger Pats message boards were talking about it. That's all this is.

You're basically agreeing with what I'm saying in that I wish we used the pick in another way. I thought I've clarified by saying Brewster is on the path towards being a bust, not that he is already. There's a difference between that and saying it was a wasted pick. I say it was still a wasted pick. I'd rather have spent it another way and it's only further emphasized with this injury.

Any good news out of camp yet?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Practice doesnt start for a little while yet. 2:15 central?

The very latest news came last night w/ Jason Williams and Stephen Mcgee signing their deals. Jason Williams was apparently the first guy on the field today.

Everyone is signed up except for Brewster. No reason to rush that one, now. :(

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm very happy that Jerry was able to pawn off Henry for Kitna. Carson Palmer spoke highly of the things he learned from him during his days in Cincy.

...and wiping our hands clean of Henry is like addition by subtraction.
Henry rode his incredible rookie yr. all the way into big FA contracts with like 3 (??) teams now, he had 11 INTs as a rookie DB with Cleveland. Never has even come approachably close to that since..... the word overrated started being used about him & I think it applies.

Hell yes Newman is a Pro Bowl quality corner, came in the same yr. as McAllister who was ~ the same size, both no. 1 picks of their teams have overcome injuries causing them to miss games, & on comparison Newman has panned out better (B-more Ravens surprisingly dumped McAllister a yr ago). Who would you rather have in man coverage on Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Anquan Boldin, etc? Look at the setback Dallas experienced when they had to start the regular season tweaking the secondary b/c of Newman's foot injury.

I'm curious to see that with Williams gone will offenses still try to attack Dallas over the top or concentrate on the deep middle of the field as before.... Phillips is the DC now so he's had a whole yr's videotape to see the trend, & he's experienced enough to know that opponents will test Sensabaugh & (both) Hamlins if they both see the field this yr, & they might. He like me & the rest of us are damn tired of Dallas being the SD Bolts of the NFC, an underachieving team loaded with talent on both sides of the ball.

I'm looking for that pick total stat to improve this season when they attack Sensabaugh, Hamlin & the deep middle. When the team went into the tailspin last yr. with Romo out, the lack of INTs was killing them, & the coaches didn't seem to adjust to compensate for Williams inability to cover his own shadow. Better secondary coverage = Demarcus Ware finally breaking that single season sack rcd. that he tied last season.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote