Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The talent is there to go to the SB.

Theres 3 things holding the Cowboys back from achieving that goal in my eyes.

1. depth/line play

2. this guy

3. this guy

if they can overcome those 3 things, they'll be right in it till the end.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:29 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with you BBD. You just can't overlook the fact that Wade has never won a playoff game. Garrett is bad too, but Wade is the bigger fish to fry. He's yet to win a playoff game, and the team hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years. For me this isn't about talent but determination. I have no doubts in my mind that they can have a real good record, but the post season is much more important.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I still think 11-5 is incredibly optimistic, but I'm not going to argue your optimism. What ever reasons you list now though are/will be irrelevant at this point in time though. There's too many unknowns. Heck, there are unknowns the day before the game! haha. The NFL is so unpredictable that I can't be sold by your logic right now.

But I'd love for us to be 11-5. Post the schedule with your Win/Loss predictions.
You're right about the unknowns. That's why the NFL is by far my favorite sports league to watch. A stacked team can come out and have a 6-10 season because a few unknowns happen. That's why I'll try to refrain from making record predictions once the season starts. Who knows what will happen. Someone crucial can get injured like last year, or some unknown can become a big star.

As for my optimism, here's why:

The offense looks like it'll be great again. The only thing I'm worried about on O is Garrett and injuries. If Romo goes down again, then obviously the offense won't perform that well. Kitna is better than Johnson, but Romo is a bonafide playmaker that would be missed. But the offense is stacked. The only question is Flozell, and he's not a complete waste now. I think the LT problem should have been addressed too, but I can't see him causing many problems. Yeah he might struggle against a quicker and younger guy, but with the TEs and running backs on the team, a pass rush shouldn't really hinder the team that much. Romo is hard as hell to sack, Witten is top3(some even say number 1) TE, Martellus is looking like he'll become a serious stud, Barber has always been a good receiving back, Felix might make guys cry on flats and screens, and Tashard is more than capable to do things too. This offense is more than capable to handle good pass rushing teams, and Williams and Crayton are good receivers that help the passing game. I think Roy will make the Pro Bowl this year, but even if he doesn't he'll still offer much. Austin and Hurd offer much too. The only problem is Garrett and some good D coordinators. The Cowboys will face at least 8 new D coordinators this season. That's a huge advantage.

The D has issues defending the run, but if you think about it they've always been good against it. Outside of those atrocious two runs against Baltimore, when was the last time the Cowboys run D had a terrible season. The record setting 2000 season with all of those 200 yard runner was a long time ago. The Cowboys have consistently been one of the better run defending teams since then. Last year had some hiccups, but they were still good at stopping the run. They upgraded with Brooking and Sensabaugh, so I think the run D will still be good. Spencer is better than Ellis at stopping the run, and Olshanksy has good experience doing just that. Teams could cause problems, but I don't think it'll be as big a deal if anyone gets hurt. Depth is bad, but any team would struggle with major injuries. The pass defense should be good everywhere except for the inside of the field. That's what worries me, and I see the team taking lumps there again unless Carp is better than Burnett. Carp won't be bad on the nickel, but I don't think he'll change the world either. Bradie is still bad in that area. But guess what the Cowboys have? One of the leagues top pass rushes. Last year they were number one, and the year before they were number 2 or 3 I think. Wade knows how to get to the QB, and it'll happen again. That'll win some games man, I promise you that.:D

But D the unknowns aren't known yet. You have a great point. We'll see when we get there. But I find it hard not to be excited about the team. There's some seriously good talent here. The Cowboys have the best defensive player in the NFC East(and maybe the whole game!), the best cornerback(Newman) in the East, the best running back stable in the East, the best TE combo in the East, and the QB with the second highest number of TDs in the past three seasons of the entire league. The only person with more TD passes than Tony in the past three seasons is Peyton Manning! How are you guys not optimistic about that? Yeah the team has problems to overcome, but what team doesn't? There's plenty of reason to be optimistic here. Yeah if Ware goes down we're looking at a different story, but what team wouldn't suffer without a player as great as him? Come on guys, pour some more water in those glasses. Things will be alright.:D

Old 08-17-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Just curious what you think our "unknowns" are? And I don't think 11-5 is "incredibly" optimistic. Optimistic, sure, but again, this is essentially the same team that went 13-3 2 seasons ago. So I don't think that, assuming good health, 11-5 is "incredibly" optimistic.

I'm leaning 11-5 also, assuming we don't have major injury issues.

@Tampa Bay Buccaneers - W - TB has QB issues.

New York Giants - L - This hurts, but I think we lose this one.

Carolina Panthers - L - Strong running team.

@ Denver Broncos - W - New coach and QB issues.

@ Kansas City Chiefs - W - ditto

Atlanta Falcons - W - I think we really get on a roll and beat a good Atl team.

Seattle Seahawks - W - Hasselbeck is really looking old.

@ Philadelphia Eagles - L - Hard place to win.

@ Green Bay Packers - W - We kinda have their number.

Washington Redskins - W - Wash I think will have issues this year.

Oakland Raiders -W - Poor team on Thanksgiving.

@ New York Giants - L - Struggled with this one because I don't think we lose twice to NY.

San Diego Chargers - W - Boys win a really great game.

@ New Orleans Saints - L - Lose a good high scoring game.

@ Washington Redskins - W - see above re Wash.

Philadelphia Eagles - W - I think this game is another win and you're in scenario and the Boys pull it out.
I don't know if you're kidding, but we have A TON of unknowns. But actually, what I meant by unknowns is not "our" unknowns, but just the unknowns of our opponents and how the season will unfold for them. How will they be affected by all the changes from the offseason and also injuries that will happen. Who will step up, who will flake? Who will make adjustments better than others? Who will find ways to hide their flaws? Which teams are "hot" versus which are "cold". How about weather conditions? Which ones find the right chemistry?

I mean really, to justify the W/L records you just gave by those one lined comments is really... almost just fooling yourself. Right off the bat, you're assuming we have all our health (which likely won't happen).

I didn't think Atlanta was going to be so good last year. New rookie QB, new coach, new 2nd string RB now starting... They answered their unknowns to a degree nobody expected. Tampa is in the exact same boat almost. New rookie QB, new coach, new 2nd string RB now with the chance to show his stuff as a starter. What I'm saying is, there are too many unknowns at this moment for me to feel comfortable in buying that we will win 11 games. I call it incredibly optimistic. You call it optimistic. You act like there's a big difference in that? If that's optimistic for you, what's conservative?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I agree with you BBD. You just can't overlook the fact that Wade has never won a playoff game. Garrett is bad too, but Wade is the bigger fish to fry. He's yet to win a playoff game, and the team hasn't won a playoff game in 12 years. For me this isn't about talent but determination. I have no doubts in my mind that they can have a real good record, but the post season is much more important.
i agree. this team is talented enough to win. this season, the main agenda was to "clean up" the lockerroom, and I think they took some good steps in doing so.

now its a matter of putting it all together, and overcoming some coaching issues. and staying healthy of course, bc Dallas's depth is terrible in some key positions.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're right about the unknowns. That's why the NFL is by far my favorite sports league to watch. A stacked team can come out and have a 6-10 season because a few unknowns happen. That's why I'll try to refrain from making record predictions once the season starts. Who knows what will happen. Someone crucial can get injured like last year, or some unknown can become a big star.

As for my optimism, here's why:

The offense looks like it'll be great again. The only thing I'm worried about on O is Garrett and injuries. If Romo goes down again, then obviously the offense won't perform that well. Kitna is better than Johnson, but Romo is a bonafide playmaker that would be missed. But the offense is stacked. The only question is Flozell, and he's not a complete waste now. I think the LT problem should have been addressed too, but I can't see him causing many problems. Yeah he might struggle against a quicker and younger guy, but with the TEs and running backs on the team, a pass rush shouldn't really hinder the team that much. Romo is hard as hell to sack, Witten is top3(some even say number 1) TE, Martellus is looking like he'll become a serious stud, Barber has always been a good receiving back, Felix might make guys cry on flats and screens, and Tashard is more than capable to do things too. This offense is more than capable to handle good pass rushing teams, and Williams and Crayton are good receivers that help the passing game. I think Roy will make the Pro Bowl this year, but even if he doesn't he'll still offer much. Austin and Hurd offer much too. The only problem is Garrett and some good D coordinators. The Cowboys will face at least 8 new D coordinators this season. That's a huge advantage.

The D has issues defending the run, but if you think about it they've always been good against it. Outside of those atrocious two runs against Baltimore, when was the last time the Cowboys run D had a terrible season. The record setting 2000 season with all of those 200 yard runner was a long time ago. The Cowboys have consistently been one of the better run defending teams since then. Last year had some hiccups, but they were still good at stopping the run. They upgraded with Brooking and Sensabaugh, so I think the run D will still be good. Spencer is better than Ellis at stopping the run, and Olshanksy has good experience doing just that. Teams could cause problems, but I don't think it'll be as big a deal if anyone gets hurt. Depth is bad, but any team would struggle with major injuries. The pass defense should be good everywhere except for the inside of the field. That's what worries me, and I see the team taking lumps there again unless Carp is better than Burnett. Carp won't be bad on the nickel, but I don't think he'll change the world either. Bradie is still bad in that area. But guess what the Cowboys have? One of the leagues top pass rushes. Last year they were number one, and the year before they were number 2 or 3 I think. Wade knows how to get to the QB, and it'll happen again. That'll win some games man, I promise you that.:D

But D the unknowns aren't known yet. You have a great point. We'll see when we get there. But I find it hard not to be excited about the team. There's some seriously good talent here. The Cowboys have the best defensive player in the NFC East(and maybe the whole game!), the best cornerback(Newman) in the East, the best running back stable in the East, the best TE combo in the East, and the QB with the second highest number of TDs in the past three seasons of the entire league. The only person with more TD passes than Tony in the past three seasons is Peyton Manning! How are you guys not optimistic about that? Yeah the team has problems to overcome, but what team doesn't? There's plenty of reason to be optimistic here. Yeah if Ware goes down we're looking at a different story, but what team wouldn't suffer without a player as great as him? Come on guys, pour some more water in those glasses. Things will be alright.:D
See, I don't think I have a negative approach to the season. I'm damn excited for it too! I think 11-5 is optimistic, but not unachievable. I think it would be great so long as we got into the playoffs and did more than just get there. I want to see progress or changes made. I've been there done that with preseason predictions. Every year since I was here, I did it. Don't recall how good or bad I did, but fact is I already know that whatever anybody posts here, will not be 100% accurate. Too many unknowns. Maybe the record will be 11-5, but I'll bet anything it doesn't unfold exactly the way anyone predicts right now. Maybe you'll say, awww.... I was off by 2 wins. Well, 2 less wins, means 9-7 and likely out of the playoffs. There's no patting yourself on the shoulder for that. 1 or 2 games means a world of difference. ...and heck... maybe we win 2 more game and finish 13-3!!! That's what I mean by unknowns... I think it's fun to have predictions, but I kind of chuckle when guys defend their predictions so strongly as if we're dealing with "known" facts.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know if you're kidding, but we have A TON of unknowns.
I'm not trying to "kid" anyone. I see very little different from the team that went 13-3. I just asked you to give me a couple of unknowns.

Sure, we have depth issues. No one is questioning that.

Quote:
But actually, what I meant by unknowns is not "our" unknowns, but just the unknowns of our opponents and how the season will unfold for them. How will they be affected by all the changes from the offseason and also injuries that will happen. Who will step up, who will flake? Who will make adjustments better than others? Who will find ways to hide their flaws? Which teams are "hot" versus which are "cold". How about weather conditions? Which ones find the right chemistry?
Okay, so is it our unknowns or everyone elses?

I agree that there's always some surprises each year.

Quote:
I mean really, to justify the W/L records you just gave by those one lined comments is really... almost just fooling yourself. Right off the bat, you're assuming we have all our health (which likely won't happen).
Well hell, no one has a crystal ball. We're all here just sitting around the bar giving our opinions. No one knows who will get injured and who won't. You have to assume some reasonable amount of health or it's all just a crap shoot. What if Eli blows out his knee the first game like Brady? Then all bets are off, IMO.

Quote:
I didn't think Atlanta was going to be so good last year. New rookie QB, new coach, new 2nd string RB now starting... They answered their unknowns to a degree nobody expected. Tampa is in the exact same boat almost. New rookie QB, new coach, new 2nd string RB now with the chance to show his stuff as a starter. What I'm saying is, there are too many unknowns at this moment for me to feel comfortable in buying that we will win 11 games. I call it incredibly optimistic. You call it optimistic. You act like there's a big difference in that? If that's optimistic for you, what's conservative?
I understand. No one thought Ryan was going to be that good that quick. He's definately the exception; not the rule. But based on last year, you can, for the most part, have a pretty decent idea of what teams will be the next year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm of the train of thought that I don't put much weight into what a guy hasn't done to justify what can't be done or what'll be difficult to do in the future. Nor do I put much weight into what has been done to be a good indicator of what will be done. Especially when it comes to coaching.

In my book, most of it falls on the shoulders of the players and how good they are at executing their assignments. Coaching helps that, but it still has to fall back down on the players or the guy in charge of selecting the players.

So I don't care that Wade hasn't won a playoff game before. You're telling me that if he does win one, then all of a sudden he's going to be better at his profession? No man. It's just a matter of accomplishment.

I have the same problem with guys who look at prospects and say, oh they're unproven so they are not better. Like they say, "How can so and so be better than blah blah veteran player? He's unproven versus this guy who's been doing it for years." Those arguments are meaningless to me.

Oh and Romo too. People judge him by saying he always collapses in December and has never won a playoff game. So what? He's always going to be that player? After he wins a playoff game, they'll say it about a SB. People are just dumb like that. Then when if he wins it all.... Oh NOW he's a better player. Accomplishment doesn't equal skill, imo. Experience does however. So that has to factor in somehow.

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-17-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:19 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I think our run D is being alittle over played to be honest...

People just think about the 2 baltimore runs and that ratliff is only 300 pounds so we automatically suck... Who f***ing cares?

2 fluke plays? ratliff is a beast. who cares that he is 25 pounds undersized. He did just go to the pro-bowl.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm not trying to "kid" anyone. I see very little different from the team that went 13-3. I just asked you to give me a couple of unknowns.
That's the same skewed logic that people used last year and we ended up 9-7. Fact of the matter is even if our team looks the same (and it doesn't), the rest of the league has changed. In MAJOR ways. Everyday the landscape changes. Arizona looks the same (if not improved), are they going back to the SB? I'd bet against it.

I wouldn't say our depth is unknown. IMO, it's pretty much KNOWN. They suck at most of our key positions. hahahaha. I like our QB depth with Kitna a lot more than Johnson. I even think Kitna could be a SB winning QB. Which is different from me saying, I think he could win a SB with him as our QB. On the right team and in the right situation, I think he's stable enough to get the job done.

We have so many unknowns I dunno where to start and end.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's the same skewed logic that people used last year and we ended up 9-7. Fact of the matter is even if our team looks the same (and it doesn't), the rest of the league has changed. In MAJOR ways. Everyday the landscape changes. Arizona looks the same (if not improved), are they going back to the SB? I'd bet against it.

Skewed logic?

Okay, so did we overachieve in 07 or underachieve in 08?

What looks different about our team?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I think our run D is being alittle over played to be honest...

People just think about the 2 baltimore runs and that ratliff is only 300 pounds so we automatically suck... Who f***ing cares?

2 fluke plays? ratliff is a beast. who cares that he is 25 pounds undersized. He did just go to the pro-bowl.
I think it would be false to say Ratliff is the main problem of our run D. If we had some run thumping ILBs, that would make a world of difference too. But it really is a total defensive effort from everyone.

I agree that it's not as bad as it's made out to be. It's just that our pass rushing was so good last year and our secondary has been so heavily addressed (through the draft and FA over the years) that our guys up front get picked on more. Nobody is calling this team one of the bottom tier run D's in the league. It's just that we like to talk about our problems. ...and once you do that on a forum, then the talk grows and grows and gets out of hand. We're inconsistent against the run. That's all.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Skewed logic?

Okay, so did we overachieve in 07 or underachieve in 08?

What looks different about our team?
I'd say coming off a 13-3 season and finishing 9-7 is terribly Underachieving.

...and THAT team looked a helluva lot similar to that 13-3 team than the one we have now.

I can't believe you said, "What's different?" ...and you're still not getting it. So what if we did in fact have the same personnel from top to bottom? The rest of the league HAS MASSIVELY changed. You just can't look at ourselves and say we'll have the same results because we look the same. The landscape all around is TOTALLY different.

Edit: Sorry, reread that... I don't mean to be as harsh as that sounds.

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-17-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:11 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I just feel like saying this since D-Unit brought it up.

There are known knowns, and there are known unknowns, but there are also unknown unknowns; things that we don't know that we don't know.

HAHA don't kill me!

Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I just feel like saying this since D-Unit brought it up.

There are known knowns, and there are known unknowns, but there are also unknown unknowns; things that we don't know that we don't know.

HAHA don't kill me!
Forrest Griffin can atest to that.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Forrest Griffin can atest to that.
Yeah Forrest could attest to some serious unknowns right about now. lol

Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...i-play-by-play
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...r-play-by-play

Very interesting read on Siavii and Bobby by BTB

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:30 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think BBD summed us up much better than anything that has been posted by a resident 'Boys poster. The biggest obstacles to us winning anything is the management of our team.

Right now Wade Philips is the single biggest reason why I refuse to get too excited about our team for this year. He ripped my heart out and stomped it into the ground, culminating in that gruesome and viciously painful winter day in the Linc. Talk about a field of horrors.

Also, Red Balls really contributed to Operation Self Destruct last year, too. I think he is salvageable, but can you honestly tell me that a 60+ yr old doughboy who has had 4 chances but never won a single playoff game is going to just magically turn into the leader we need to take us all the way?

The roster we have assembled, aside from our depth issues at CB, NT and OL, is one of the best you'll see in an NFL stable. Romo is as good a QB as there is in the league right now. Felix will be a super star in two years, mark that down. Witten is as good an all-around TE as has ever played in the league. Bennett is about to become a star in his own right. Roy Williams is a question mark, but has at least shown at times that he is fully capable of being an elite reciever in this league. DeMarcus Ware is in the prime of what should be a HOF career. Ratliff might be the best penetrating interior D lineman in the game and is certainly in the conversation. Newman, when healthy, is as good as there is at CB. Jenkins, Scandrick, Spencer, Choice and others headline an up-and-coming group that are all capable of big things....I mean, this roster is stacked. It really is.

But who cares if you don't have direction. If you don't have a vision. If you don't have someone to bring it all together and get everyone's energy focused in one concentrated beam of inexorable determination to win.

And we don't have that, that I can see.

This franchise was able to win the SB with the worst coach in sports history to ever win a title. Switzer was a bumbling idiot who did little besides stroke Jerry's member and mug for the cameras. But that team was a) possibly the most talented team of all time and b) had already done the deed twice before. Even with all that, Barry almost killed us.

Wade is every bit as bad as Barry, and he is dealing with a roster that--as great as it is--can't match up with the 94 and 95 Cowboys.

This team is capable of greatness. A greatness that is likely to remain untapped.

So I'll wait and see.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
The roster we have assembled, aside from our depth issues at CB, NT and OL, is one of the best you'll see in an NFL stable. Romo is as good a QB as there is in the league right now. Felix will be a super star in two years, mark that down. Witten is as good an all-around TE as has ever played in the league. Bennett is about to become a star in his own right. Roy Williams is a question mark, but has at least shown at times that he is fully capable of being an elite reciever in this league. DeMarcus Ware is in the prime of what should be a HOF career. Ratliff might be the best penetrating interior D lineman in the game and is certainly in the conversation. Newman, when healthy, is as good as there is at CB. Jenkins, Scandrick, Spencer, Choice and others headline an up-and-coming group that are all capable of big things....I mean, this roster is stacked. It really is.
little over zealous are we? those are some damn strong statements. im not saying those arent good players but either your over exaggerating a bit to make a point or you are a wee bit delusional.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think so, no.

I won't go over Romo anymore. I've made his argument a million times over, and the bottom line with most people is that they won't give him credit for what he is and what he does until the team wins a Super Bowl. It doesn't change the fact that he is as good as any QB going right now. Given that Brady is coming off of a major knee injury and Peyton started to decline a little last season I think its safe to say.

Newman was widely regarded as a top 3 CB in the L going into last season, especially on these boards. He struggled through an injury early on, but came back and was dominant again in the second half of the season.

Name me a better all around TE than Witten. I'm not saying that if he retired right now he would be considered the best TE of all-time. But the level that he's playing at right now is as good as anyone ever. He's certainly one of the top 10 receiving TE's in the league's history, and is a dominant blocker as well. Name me another TE in league history that can make that claim. Gonzalez, Winslow, Novacek, Gates and other great receiving TEs were all weak blockers. The only two that I can think of that would compare to Witten as two-way TEs are Ditka and maybe Bavaro (though he was not the pass catcher that Witten is).

Do you really not think that Ratliff is in the conversation among penetrating DTs? If so, you are delusional. The man made the Pro Bowl in a year when Cowboys were persona non gratas. He is a dominant player. You are going to be hearing more and more about him, so get used to hearing his name used that way.

Yes, all those statements are strong statements and I was using them that way for emphasis. Whether or not they can be proven, or whether they would be universally acknowledged by (supposedly) objective fans is neither here nor there. A compelling argument can be made for each statement. That's enough.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware

Last edited by DMWSackMachine : 08-18-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:02 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think so, no.

I won't go over Romo anymore. I've made his argument a million times over, and the bottom line with most people is that they won't give him credit for what he is and what he does until the team wins a Super Bowl. It doesn't change the fact that he is as good as any QB going right now. Given that Brady is coming off of a major knee injury and Peyton started to decline a little last season I think its safe to say.

Newman was widely regarded as a top 3 CB in the L going into last season, especially on these boards. He struggled through an injury early on, but came back and was dominant again in the second half of the season.

Name me a better all around TE than Witten. I'm not saying that if he retired right now he would be considered the best TE of all-time. But the level that he's playing at right now is as good as anyone ever. He's certainly one of the top 10 receiving TE's in the league's history, and is a dominant blocker as well. Name me another TE in league history that can make that claim. Gonzalez, Winslow, Novacek, Gates and other great receiving TEs were all weak blockers. The only two that I can think of that would compare to Witten as two-way TEs are Ditka and maybe Bavaro (though he was not the pass catcher that Witten is).

Do you really not think that Ratliff is in the conversation among penetrating DTs? If so, you are delusional. The man made the Pro Bowl in a year when Cowboys were persona non gratas. He is a dominant player. You are going to be hearing more and more about him, so get used to hearing his name used that way.

Yes, all those statements are strong statements and I was using them that way for emphasis. Whether or not they can be proven, or whether they would be universally acknowledged by (supposedly) objective fans is neither here nor there. A compelling argument can be made for each statement. That's enough.
nice with the "supposedly" objective fans comment...real classy...

with Romo, I honestly think its ridiculous to even put him in the same sentence as brady, manning, or brees. in terms of talent, i dont even consider him in the second tier of quarterbacks. i can see how arguments could possibly be made to include him in the second tier but to call him as good as any qb in the game is ludacris.

with Newman, yes, when he is healthy he is a very good cornerback. theres no arguing that. but you said he as 'as good as their is' at the position. thats basically like saying that every part of his game is the best among any cb in the league...come on seriously? sure he was good again the second half of last year but still not on par with prior to injury. above average cb? yes. best in the nfl? no.

witten is a beast. hands down. but in no way shape or form has he had the sustained career yet to be in conversation with the top 5 or even 10 tight ends in history. he isnt even the best ever tight end currently in the league. in 4 or 5 more years if he keeps it up then ill entertain the idea of top 5 ever.

ratliff i honestly cannot say that i have paid enough attention to say one way or the other.

notice that i didnt argue about ware...
Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think BBD summed us up much better than anything that has been posted by a resident 'Boys poster. The biggest obstacles to us winning anything is the management of our team.

Right now Wade Philips is the single biggest reason why I refuse to get too excited about our team for this year. He ripped my heart out and stomped it into the ground, culminating in that gruesome and viciously painful winter day in the Linc. Talk about a field of horrors.

Also, Red Balls really contributed to Operation Self Destruct last year, too. I think he is salvageable, but can you honestly tell me that a 60+ yr old doughboy who has had 4 chances but never won a single playoff game is going to just magically turn into the leader we need to take us all the way?

But who cares if you don't have direction. If you don't have a vision. If you don't have someone to bring it all together and get everyone's energy focused in one concentrated beam of inexorable determination to win.

And we don't have that, that I can see.

This franchise was able to win the SB with the worst coach in sports history to ever win a title. Switzer was a bumbling idiot who did little besides stroke Jerry's member and mug for the cameras. But that team was a) possibly the most talented team of all time and b) had already done the deed twice before. Even with all that, Barry almost killed us.

Wade is every bit as bad as Barry, and he is dealing with a roster that--as great as it is--can't match up with the 94 and 95 Cowboys.

This team is capable of greatness. A greatness that is likely to remain untapped.

So I'll wait and see.
Ouch. A shot at all of us lowly resident posters...

I know what you mean about the coaching staff, but I'll blame Jerry there. He hired a DC hoping to fix our D, but forgot that the guy is just that... a DC and not a HC. Now he's realized it and has made him be the DC... and we'd all be fools if we really believe Wade will be our HC after this year. If he stays on, it'll be as a DC.

Jerry also wanted his golden boy Garrett. Only thing is we got him while he was still wet behind the ears and have had to live with the growing pains. I really believe that one day Garrett will be a great HC and offensive mind. He's so young now. He'll keep learning and get better and better. But that doesn't help us now, nor has it helped us to this point.

Still... I look... and I have to blame Jerry. Why? Because this team lacks a Franchise Identitiy. That's a huge thing to explain what I mean there... maybe I'll do it sometime.

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-18-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

I agree. Jerry has a huge amount of culpability for the situation we're in. I was against the Wade hire at the time and it hasn't turned out any better than I thought. Garrett might be really good as a HC, but the age excuse is flimsy. There a several HCs in the league younger than he is.

Now, Dirty Thirty, I love how you throw Brees into the discussion. Tell me, what has Brees done that Romo has not? Romo has been consistently as productive as Brees since he became a starter and HAS A BETTER CAREER WINNING PERCENTAGE. Playoffs? Brees has 1 career playoff win in three times the amount of playing time. You tell me what the argument is for Brees.

Better yet, I'll tell you. Romo is a pretty boy. Romo is not all that. Romo has been waaaaay overhyped. Romo never should have gone to Cabo. Romo should never have dated that bimbo Jessica. And he sure as hell shouldn't have let her sit in the luxury box during games. Romo is funny looking. Romo has butterfingers. Romo has herpes.

The bottom line in all debates about Romo is that people hate him because they feel he has been shoved down their throat. Rightfully so. He has. I felt the same way about Tom Brady. I still feel that way. The difference with Romo is that he doesn't have the hardware to trump any type of criticism.

If he was playing on the Broncos, the Vikings or the Chargers and had done exactly the same thing in his career as he has with the Cowboys, he would be regardedly almost universally more highly. But because he's on America's Team, in the spotlight every day of his life, and because the he has been soooo overexposed, it effects the way that people think about him. You can't tell me one single type of failure that he's had that any other QB in the league hasn't had, including Peyton and Brady (let alone Brees, who has done NOTHING except pile up numbers).

But if you watch how he plays the game, it becomes apparent that he is as good at playing the position as any other player in the game today. He is absolutely right there.

Quickly:

Witten: Just saying that the level he's at right now is as good as there's ever been in the league. I already stated this in my first reply, and its true.

Newman: He was dominant when he came back, not good. Dallas had the #2 pass defense in the league after he came back.

Ratliff: Watch him. He jumps off the screen.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 08-18-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I have to be honest. I did come to like the Wade hire because I liked what he did as a DC in San Diego. However, if you all remember, my first choice was Mike Singletary. Remember that silly petition??? haha good times! :D

Wade has done what he's good at... Improving our pass rush. We all knew the San Diego secondary wasn't their strength of that D. Ware has taken another step in his development under Wade. We did have a 13-3 season and won the NFC East Championship. I mean it hasn't been as bad as people make it out to be. A first round bye is as good as a 1st round playoff win imo. A few changes in luck last year and we're in the playoffs. We almost beat the Steelers at the end of the season. So I don't feel this team is terrible under him. I just like him more as a DC.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
nice with the "supposedly" objective fans comment...real classy...

with Romo, I honestly think its ridiculous to even put him in the same sentence as brady, manning, or brees. in terms of talent, i dont even consider him in the second tier of quarterbacks. i can see how arguments could possibly be made to include him in the second tier but to call him as good as any qb in the game is ludacris.

with Newman, yes, when he is healthy he is a very good cornerback. theres no arguing that. but you said he as 'as good as their is' at the position. thats basically like saying that every part of his game is the best among any cb in the league...come on seriously? sure he was good again the second half of last year but still not on par with prior to injury. above average cb? yes. best in the nfl? no.

witten is a beast. hands down. but in no way shape or form has he had the sustained career yet to be in conversation with the top 5 or even 10 tight ends in history. he isnt even the best ever tight end currently in the league. in 4 or 5 more years if he keeps it up then ill entertain the idea of top 5 ever.

ratliff i honestly cannot say that i have paid enough attention to say one way or the other.

notice that i didnt argue about ware...
Your opinion is wrong. Newman is one of the best in the NFL. Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick are above average.

Newman above average? Maybe when playing on one leg. Come on boy
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote