Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:00 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I forgot to mention-I think the ticket will be free. If it is, I have no intentions of charging anyone for it. I would rather give the ticket to a real fan that would appreciate going to the game than make a few bucks off someone that is somewhat interested. All I got from my friend is a text message, so I don't know much right now. I will know more about the ticket in the morning. But by then, I will probably know whether or not I will go.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I would have a good time with those girls, too!!!!! BTW, was that Lance Bass in the last picture???? Hmmmmmm.

I have been busy lately, and have not been able to post. My wife was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I have been busy with that, so I have not been able to post here. I have really missed the discussions.

I had surgery on Wednesday, and still dont feel good. A friend from work called today and told me that he had an extra ticket to the 2nd preseason game (Tennesseee). I am not sure if I will be able to go. I want to go real bad but if I don't feel up to it, would any of you want to go in my place???? If so, just send me a private message. I have no idea how good the seat would be. I assume it will not be a great seat, but you never know. And it might be a single seat, so you might be sitting by yourself.

I intend on going, but I am not sure how I will feel when I wake up. I am still on a lot of medication. Once I wake up, I will ask him where it is.

And on the starting running back statement, Barber would be my starter. Felix is my change of pace guy. Tashard is a wonderful backup, but I would not start him, either.
Hey HH!
Good to see you posting. First and foremost, I hope everything turns out ok for you and your family. Sounds like you guys are dealing with a lot. May God Bless.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
I would have a good time with those girls, too!!!!! BTW, was that Lance Bass in the last picture???? Hmmmmmm.

I have been busy lately, and have not been able to post. My wife was diagnosed with Lymphoma. I have been busy with that, so I have not been able to post here. I have really missed the discussions.

I had surgery on Wednesday, and still dont feel good. A friend from work called today and told me that he had an extra ticket to the 2nd preseason game (Tennesseee). I am not sure if I will be able to go. I want to go real bad but if I don't feel up to it, would any of you want to go in my place???? If so, just send me a private message. I have no idea how good the seat would be. I assume it will not be a great seat, but you never know. And it might be a single seat, so you might be sitting by yourself.

I intend on going, but I am not sure how I will feel when I wake up. I am still on a lot of medication. Once I wake up, I will ask him where it is.

And on the starting running back statement, Barber would be my starter. Felix is my change of pace guy. Tashard is a wonderful backup, but I would not start him, either.
G'luck with that.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I
Quote:
think it will probably affect NY the least due to the talent level, but I still think there will be, at the very least, an adjustment. Spagnolou is a very good DC.
NY will require the least adjustments, true. By adding Canty to their rotation & with a healthy Osi Umenyiora back they easily have the best d-line in the league.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Thumper
Pro Bowler

Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thumper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Eagles are reportedly close to signing TE Tony Curtis who played for the Cowboys last year. Any information on him?
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The Eagles are reportedly close to signing TE Tony Curtis who played for the Cowboys last year. Any information on him?
I think you'll be happy with him considering what you currently got. He's got good hands. He was a back up for us for a few years. Nice end zone target.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:16 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As far as the RB situation/rotation, not only is it hard to get 3 backs involved in a game when the top 2 are healthy, but BBD made a good point in how Bradshaw was the odd man out even though he was very talented.

What you have to remember is Jason Garrett is our offensive coordinator, he's going to pass the ball no matter how much we think we should pound it. We may run it more, but unless our offense turns into the Ravens or the Steelers all 3 guys won't get the touches we want.

Last year I can remember instances where Felix didn't get the ball enough, and some weeks Barber didn't even get the ball enough and he was the starter, this was when we were only using 2 guys. Adding Choice in, I don't see how Garrett would mix that up.

I'd rather MBIII start, Felix spells him quite a bit in all kinds of situations getting his 15 touches at least, then let Choice take over a few series a game where we see fit. Those series Felix would still come in and spell Choice as usual, but those few series rest up Barber for late in the games.

I think it we would be very lucky to have all 3 backs healthy by November so it'll sort itself out by default honestly, but I don't trust Jason Garrett to involve 3 backs with the type of offense he wants to run. I just hope Choice can get at least a few series mixed in because it'll only help everyone out.

What Choice did last year was amazing, he didn't have anyone to spell him those games, or give him a breather, he did it all on his own vs the best D's in the league. But he'll still be the odd man out until injury strikes someone or hobbles someone, he'll get his shot pretty soon though once Barber shows he's not the same back anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Brandon Williams out for season with torn ACL
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:43 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yup, I was going to say yesterday that Octavien may have snuck onto the roster anyway. Now it's really looking great for him. Octavien seems to be one of Wade's guys, he's probably passed Rogers. Sucks for Brandon. ugh. OLB depth is pretty scary at the moment. The talent is more unproven than bad but, still. Hopefully Vic can start making some plays.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-22-2009 at 03:46 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
As far as the RB situation/rotation, not only is it hard to get 3 backs involved in a game when the top 2 are healthy, but BBD made a good point in how Bradshaw was the odd man out even though he was very talented.
For me personally, I don't see a problem. But then I don't see this so-called three-headed monster, and I know that's in conflict because I've been told that Dallas consistently talks about getting Choice involved.

For me it can't be anymore simple, it's the Marion Barber and Felix Jones show all the way. Two-headed monster, period.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Tashard Choice. Thought he was excellent value for a 4th round pick the moment they drafted him, I liked him in college. But the only thing he is right now imo is quality depth. If one of those two playmakers goes down to injury, then Choice steps in.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It sucks about Williams going down for the year. OLB depth is getting a little thin. Spencer has had some injury problems before, so you really don't want him to go down for an extended time. Of course we knew this before Williams going down, but his injury just highlights it. For what it's worth I think Butler is looking good enough to backup so far, but he's still too green to see significant time besides special teams.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

All the talk about getting choice involved is stupid. He's not as good of a power runner as MBIII and he's not as fast as Felix.

People want to get him touches just because they like the guy.

Ill be happy if he is never in the game, I would hope MBIII and Felix can get the job done without him.

Just let him get garbage carries in blow out games.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:36 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is what I saw ....

1. The Offense I saw last night is exactly what we need to win late in the season -- producing first downs wins games.

2. Really liked the way we are spreading the ball around and running it -- even if we don't score the TOP makes a big difference end of the game with our OL and MBIII

3. Felix should start and MBIII should come in later. Felix seems to have gotten bigger and I would be very interested in seeing him get 20 carries a game.

4. Romo looks better and playing to his strengths but we need to see how this changes v Blitz happy teams.

5. Williams #58 looked pretty good blitzing, other stuff ehh.

6. Carp seems to have a role at last.

7. #67 (DT), #44 (TE), #28 (RB) need roster slots. Which gets me to the next point ...

8. What does anyone think about possibly moving any of the guys ahead of them?

9. Watkins is still better than any of the two guys we drafted this year in the 7th. So is C Brown. Can't see either making it.

10. Folk has something off. Kind of worrying as mentioned previously unless we plan on using Beuchler ... Wouldn't be the first "good kicker" who lost his mojo.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 08-22-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:45 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

If this Jenkins thing becomes of a problem, it could put a wrench in our entire season.

Damnit man..
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:18 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Here is what I saw ....

1. The Offense I saw last night is exactly what we need to win late in the season -- producing first downs wins games.

2. Really liked the way we are spreading the ball around and running it -- even if we don't score the TOP makes a big difference end of the game with our OL and MBIII

3. Felix should start and MBIII should come in later. Felix seems to have gotten bigger and I would be very interested in seeing him get 20 carries a game.

4. Romo looks better and playing to his strengths but we need to see how this changes v Blitz happy teams.

5. Williams #58 looked pretty good blitzing, other stuff ehh.

6. Carp seems to have a role at last.

7. #67 (DT), #44 (TE), #28 (RB) need roster slots. Which gets me to the next point ...

8. What does anyone think about possibly moving any of the guys ahead of them?

9. Watkins is still better than any of the two guys we drafted this year in the 7th. So is C Brown. Can't see either making it.

10. Folk has something off. Kind of worrying as mentioned previously unless we plan on using Beuchler ... Wouldn't be the first "good kicker" who lost his mojo.

This might be the first real, true, constructive post I've ever seen of yours that was straight football talk with no self promotion, personal attacks or Jerry putdowns.

Congrats, and I hope its just the first of many.

And I agree with most of what you said, too. Especially about #67. I saw him flash 3x and I didn't watch the last half of the 4th qrt.

I can't believe that Carp is actually turning into a player. He has looked like a legit NFL back every time I've watched him play. That tackle on VY was nice.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:22 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
This might be the first real, true, constructive post I've ever seen of yours that was straight football talk with no self promotion, personal attacks or Jerry putdowns.

Congrats, and I hope its just the first of many.

And I agree with most of what you said, too. Especially about #67. I saw him flash 3x and I didn't watch the last half of the 4th qrt.

I can't believe that Carp is actually turning into a player. He has looked like a legit NFL back every time I've watched him play. That tackle on VY was nice.
Not exactly sure how to react so I won't.

Carp is a good football player. He was buried under politics much like Fasano and Burnett.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:32 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

We kind of have to many good players to get on the field at all times.

Hurd, Miles, Carp, Bennet, Choice, and even Felix to an extent.

I really don't understand th ethought of the eagles and giants being head and shoulders above us. I think with the circus out of town, if we stay healthy and spread the ball around, and the secondary lives up to its billing, this is our division for the taking.

The giants looked pathetic last night.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lets not anoint Carp yet, gentleman. You might just get burned. His play has been encouraging so far though, I'd certainly agree. He got his hands on two passes in the first game and he was sound against the Titans. You couldnt ask for much more right now.

Spencer is another guy who looked really solid against the Titans. The only downside or glare, is that it was against 2nd teamer, Mike Otto. But he was making plays, off the edge and in the open field.

#67, is Derrick Robinson. :/ The only reason he's even in there is because, Marcus Dixon is injured. He's been nothing special throughout his career so, I wouldnt get too excited but, it was nice to see him making plays. I heard he was coming on strong at the end of camp but, he doesnt have a real good chance to make the team. Along w/ him, Junior Siavii really stood out for the good.

The other guy Rob mentioned, #44, is Rodney Hannah. He's not bad, he's a lot like Tony Curtis but, I dont think he makes it because, of John Phillips...who is a better blocker to be used in goal line situations. D, suggested we keep 4 TEs but, I dont think that's going to happen.

And honestly...I'm not seeing what makes the Giants or Eagles worlds better than us either. I'm not complaining, though. This team is being passed over or overlooked by the masses now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-23-2009 at 09:53 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Today's Thoughts...

On our rookie class...

Although, I'm still disappointed in the way our draft unfolded, I don't think the impact will hit us hard this year. Down the line, yes, I think we're going to look back at what we could've done instead and bonk ourselves over the head while we witness the growth of the players that our NFC East foes got from this year's class. I have to find it in myself to move on, but I haven't yet. I could be overreacting, but I'm trying to be honest with myself about the outlook. Back to my point though, like I was saying... I don't think the lack of rookie impact will affect us much this year. With the 2nd year development and return of last year's rookies, I think we'll get enough boost to keep us competitive. Felix Jones has Cowboys Nation buzzing!

On Felix starting...

As for all the talk about him being the starter, to me it doesn't matter who has that title. I can see pros and cons of both sides. I would like to see a real split in the carries/plays though. 50/50. I haven't yet had a chance to evaluate Felix's blitz pick up, but Barber is a damn beast, so if Felix is to start to split time on the field, he can't afford to be a liability in that aspect.

On Jason Garrett...

It's time to ease up the criticism of Jason Garrett. WTF did I just say? That sounds bad typing it out like that. LOL. But I'm serious. Here's what's got me going... Our Passing Offense looks like it's really going to flourish this year. I said before that I think Romo will have his best statistical season of is career, but here's why I think JG is the reason for it.

1) Manning up for the loss of TO. I initially took the loss of TO pretty hard, but I like the adjustments that Garrett has seemingly made in the offensive scheme. I think he was one of the main guys responsible for convincing Jerry to cut TO. It's starting to look like he's taken the burden of that responsibility to make up for the loss of TO. I think he's put it on his own shoulders to make sure the offense still clicks without him. Now my current feeling is that our Passing Offense will be better in a more balanced attack with more guys sharing the receptions. Now I'm not trying to say anything that hasn't been said as I know many of you have been happy with the loss of TO for a long time. But I'm feeling positive about it now and you can count me in your group on that side of the fence. I've hopped right on over.

2) I think he'll show us that he's taken a step forward in his own development. Yes, we got him while he was wet behind the ears, and I'm hopeful, bust still not sure he won't repeat the same mistakes.... nevertheless, I have always maintained that someday he'll be a good OC/HC in this league. I mean, it comes with experience. He just lacked much of it when he got here. This year, I can tell he feels the pressure to get things right. A HC job is up for grabs afterall. ;)

3) Opening up the playbook on the short passing game=WCO imitation Followng this year's TC and preseason must have made thule a very happy man. Hooray for 3 step drop passes!!! I'm damn excited about this adjustment to our passing offense. I'm convinced that Romo is best as a WCO QB and that offense is built off the dink and dunk passing game and then catching the defense off guard with the deep pass. The sole reason for me wanting Shanny or Gruden to coach us next year was to put Romo in that scheme. However, this new approach by Garrett has me thinking that I'll want him around more. I got a chance to rewatch the first half of that Tennessee game and I'm trying hard to hold in my excitement to avoid being too homeristic. I'll quietly admit, I had a flash of SB apirations hit me. hahaa.

Can Jason Garrett be our hero? Don't write him off just yet... ;)
Old 08-24-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After letting the Titans game marinate a bit, I'm excited at how they got a good energy win.

-Pass Protection was extremely good once again. If they play like they have these past two preseason games, Romo will have more than a banner year. More time equals less mistakes for him to make, and more time to find one of his many targets open. The good thing is that it's not just to starting O-line pass blocking well. The second team is looking impressive as well.

-The run blocking was good, but they didn't really run it as much. I do want to say one thing though. Kosier has looked excellent. Last week he was great at switching off his man to get to the backers. With him I think there won't be a huge hole in the line this season.

-The skill position guys looked great. What more do you expect? Romo is looking very sharp, Roy was physical and quick out there, Witten is great as always, Felix was pretty electric, etc. etc.

-The run D was monster. The only draw back was on one drive to where the Titans scored early on. One play Ware got held hardcore when he could've made a TFL, but there was no one else there to fill that gap behind him so Ringer had a big gain. Outside of that they swarmed the ball well, and the second team got their act together. Siavii even did well enough to garner some hope there.

-The pass D looked totally different. I was hoping Brown would get thrown out with the bath water after last week, but he actually played nicely. Ball did too, and that gave me some hope. Of course this doesn't mean they won't suck again this week, but at least we've seen them perform well in the preseason. Jenkins showed good recovery speed, but made some mistakes. Hopefully he irons those out, and it's a good thing to have Newman and Scandrick blanketing the field so well to give him some time. He's got great potential, but he just needs to iron out some kinks first.

Rookie Watch

-Jason Williams once again showed great athleticism. Still pretty raw, but of course we know his development will take longer than a week. I like his progress so far, but I expect more bumps in the road for him before he ultimately gets where the coaching staff wants him to be.

-Butler is something of the same thing like Williams. He's flashing good playmaking potential out there, but he's still learning. I think he stepped up his run defense tremendously this week though. I like seeing that type of progress, especially since Brandon Williams went down for the year.

-I don't know why some of y'all are being hard on McGee. It's a given that rookie QBs suck hard, and you only look for potential in them. McGee has shown that he has good athleticism, and he's not taking too many risks. He isn't making many bonehead plays, and the pass that wsa almost a pick was actually a pretty good throw to Holley. Holley should've put his hands up, because as a QB your aim is to get it in the receivers face. McGee is looking good so far for what he is.

-I'm still not seeing much from DeAngelo Smith, but not in a bad way. I just keep forgetting to check him out. Maybe he's blanketing guys like crazy, and no one wants to throw at him. I'll try to focus harder this time.

-I watched more of Hamlin, and I like his instincts. He didn't seem lost out there, and showed some good eyes for the ball.

-Buehler did exactly what is expected. He's been pretty good on kickoffs so far, and I don't see that changing. Nice to finally see some touchbacks.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Today's Thoughts...

On our rookie class...

Although, I'm still disappointed in the way our draft unfolded, I don't think the impact will hit us hard this year. Down the line, yes, I think we're going to look back at what we could've done instead and bonk ourselves over the head while we witness the growth of the players that our NFC East foes got from this year's class. I have to find it in myself to move on, but I haven't yet. I could be overreacting, but I'm trying to be honest with myself about the outlook. Back to my point though, like I was saying... I don't think the lack of rookie impact will affect us much this year. With the 2nd year development and return of last year's rookies, I think we'll get enough boost to keep us competitive. Felix Jones has Cowboys Nation buzzing!

On Felix starting...

As for all the talk about him being the starter, to me it doesn't matter who has that title. I can see pros and cons of both sides. I would like to see a real split in the carries/plays though. 50/50. I haven't yet had a chance to evaluate Felix's blitz pick up, but Barber is a damn beast, so if Felix is to start to split time on the field, he can't afford to be a liability in that aspect.

On Jason Garrett...

It's time to ease up the criticism of Jason Garrett. WTF did I just say? That sounds bad typing it out like that. LOL. But I'm serious. Here's what's got me going... Our Passing Offense looks like it's really going to flourish this year. I said before that I think Romo will have his best statistical season of is career, but here's why I think JG is the reason for it.

1) Manning up for the loss of TO. I initially took the loss of TO pretty hard, but I like the adjustments that Garrett has seemingly made in the offensive scheme. I think he was one of the main guys responsible for convincing Jerry to cut TO. It's starting to look like he's taken the burden of that responsibility to make up for the loss of TO. I think he's put it on his own shoulders to make sure the offense still clicks without him. Now my current feeling is that our Passing Offense will be better in a more balanced attack with more guys sharing the receptions. Now I'm not trying to say anything that hasn't been said as I know many of you have been happy with the loss of TO for a long time. But I'm feeling positive about it now and you can count me in your group on that side of the fence. I've hopped right on over.

2) I think he'll show us that he's taken a step forward in his own development. Yes, we got him while he was wet behind the ears, and I'm hopeful, bust still not sure he won't repeat the same mistakes.... nevertheless, I have always maintained that someday he'll be a good OC/HC in this league. I mean, it comes with experience. He just lacked much of it when he got here. This year, I can tell he feels the pressure to get things right. A HC job is up for grabs afterall. ;)

3) Opening up the playbook on the short passing game=WCO imitation Followng this year's TC and preseason must have made thule a very happy man. Hooray for 3 step drop passes!!! I'm damn excited about this adjustment to our passing offense. I'm convinced that Romo is best as a WCO QB and that offense is built off the dink and dunk passing game and then catching the defense off guard with the deep pass. The sole reason for me wanting Shanny or Gruden to coach us next year was to put Romo in that scheme. However, this new approach by Garrett has me thinking that I'll want him around more. I got a chance to rewatch the first half of that Tennessee game and I'm trying hard to hold in my excitement to avoid being too homeristic. I'll quietly admit, I had a flash of SB apirations hit me. hahaa.

Can Jason Garrett be our hero? Don't write him off just yet... ;)
Whoa! I think I liked you better when you were being negative! ;) jk

Let's not overreact to the Titans game. It was encouraging, but let's wait until December to see how things are really going.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
Which one was more real? The negative me or positive me?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post

Let's not overreact to the Titans game. It was encouraging, but let's wait until December to see how things are really going.
Our draft this year from round 4 on were really good. We received good grades on the picks from the 4th round on. I agree we could have stayed put at 51 and drafted a higher rated player. As usual we took two guys in the third we could have gotten in the 4th or 5th. The Giants had a great draft.....Eagles so-so.....Skins are like us. They hit on the 1st rounder and nothing else.

Let us face facts. The Giants have the best front office and coach in the division. Followed by the Eagles. The Skins and Boys are tied at the bottom! We need JJ to let Stephen take the reigns and hire a better head coach.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:13 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys are criticizing the same team that produced a single draft class with Felix Jones, Jenkins, Choice, Bennett, and Scandrick. Look at how loaded that class is. It has the potential to be as good as 05.

This year's draft, as I said at the time and has since been confirmed, is all about special teams. We got players at positions that excel at special teams. LB and safety types are the biggest contributors to that unit. We got like eight of 'em.

Not just that, but its very apparent that Jason Williams has star potential. At this point, its a long shot that he reaches it, but he is obviously one of the most talented young LBs in the game. If he figures the position out, we are looking at a fixture in the middle of our defense for a long time.

Look, I didn't like the trade down from the 2nd round any more than anyone else, but I can see what the Cowboys were doing, and I can see why they were doing it. It makes some sense. Right now the biggest obstacles we face with our team are OL depth and NT depth. We spent one of our top two picks to address the first and there wasn't many good options to address the 2nd.

I like the moves we've made, and I do think we see 1 or 2 long term starters out of this group. I've really liked what I've seen and read about Butler (moreso than Brandon Williams), Jason Williams I already addressed, Hamlin could become the starter opposite Ken as soon as next season, and Buehler could be a real diamond if he develops as a FG kicker.

This draft certainly lacks the flash and dash that comes with having a 1st rounder, but I think we got a handful of the type of guys we were looking for: athletic energy guys who will run down the field and throw their bodies at people.

Let's just hope we start seeing some improvement on the ST unit. Otherwise this is all just BS.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:32 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

So far the special teams haven't looked bad. Sure there were a few mishaps during the Titans game, but beyond that they looked good at staying in their lanes and getting down the field fast enough to cover the punts and kicks.