Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-25-2009, 01:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
You guys are criticizing the same team that produced a single draft class with Felix Jones, Jenkins, Choice, Bennett, and Scandrick. Look at how loaded that class is. It has the potential to be as good as 05.

This year's draft, as I said at the time and has since been confirmed, is all about special teams. We got players at positions that excel at special teams. LB and safety types are the biggest contributors to that unit. We got like eight of 'em.

Not just that, but its very apparent that Jason Williams has star potential. At this point, its a long shot that he reaches it, but he is obviously one of the most talented young LBs in the game. If he figures the position out, we are looking at a fixture in the middle of our defense for a long time.

Look, I didn't like the trade down from the 2nd round any more than anyone else, but I can see what the Cowboys were doing, and I can see why they were doing it. It makes some sense. Right now the biggest obstacles we face with our team are OL depth and NT depth. We spent one of our top two picks to address the first and there wasn't many good options to address the 2nd.

I like the moves we've made, and I do think we see 1 or 2 long term starters out of this group. I've really liked what I've seen and read about Butler (moreso than Brandon Williams), Jason Williams I already addressed, Hamlin could become the starter opposite Ken as soon as next season, and Buehler could be a real diamond if he develops as a FG kicker.

This draft certainly lacks the flash and dash that comes with having a 1st rounder, but I think we got a handful of the type of guys we were looking for: athletic energy guys who will run down the field and throw their bodies at people.

Let's just hope we start seeing some improvement on the ST unit. Otherwise this is all just BS.
I thought Ciskowski did a tremendous job with last year's draft. It's obvious he knows what he's doing. I agree with you that if you look at the glass half full, that there could be some talent acquired in this draft. Jason Williams definitely looks special.

Just wish some things had gone down differently. I thought Jerry got too cute trading down. It was pretty painful to watch these guys get picked up after we traded down... Phil Loadholt, Sean Smith, Paul Kruger, William Moore, William Beatty, and Jarron Gilbert. I was pleasantly surprised that we got J-Will, but was wondering if it was too early... It looks like it wasn't now, so that's good. Then when Brewster got picked, I thought that was a sure reach. The rest of the draft was used to boost STs, but I'm thinking... did we really need all those picks to boost our STs? I just wish we had added more to our OL and DL. Glad we attempted to fix Safety. Butler would've been fine. But Brandon Williams was a bit of an overkill. STs needed a boost no doubt. We fired our STs coach. Buehler was a great pick up. Felix returns to the kick return game. How many draft picks did we really need to boost STs? Can't we find STs guys in UDFA? Much easier to do than find OL and DL talent, imo... but what do I know... just a criticizing fan. Still love my team. :)
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, and you can't look at things in a vaccumm. I posted some of the mighty Tenn Titans draft picks the last couple of years and they've had some real duds! We simply have to give this draft time to play out, and we have at least a little bit factor in RW into this draft.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Well, and you can't look at things in a vaccumm. I posted some of the mighty Tenn Titans draft picks the last couple of years and they've had some real duds! We simply have to give this draft time to play out, and we have at least a little bit factor in RW into this draft.
I really only compare our drafts against our NFC East rivals. So you can see why I'm a bit disappointed.

Roy Williams does deserve a lot of mention. It certainly spiraled some events into shape... Cutting TO for one.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How has Mickens been doing? I followed him somewhat last college football season and if you would have told me he would have been a 7th round pick before the draft I wouldn't have believed you for a second.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
How has Mickens been doing? I followed him somewhat last college football season and if you would have told me he would have been a 7th round pick before the draft I wouldn't have believed you for a second.
In a word, awful. He started off very strong in camp, even having interceptions on consecutive days in team drills. But, they soon learned that he aint too fast. They picked on him deep, and then again and then again. He's been beaten over and over in practice and this carried over to our Oakland preseason game. He made a few nice tackles but, was picked on and destroyed while in coverage, he didnt look like an NFL CB. I'm not even sure he played in the Titans preseason game last week. Still havent had any confirmation on this, I didnt see him. He may get a flier but, he's done nothing to deserve a roster spot and has just been a pretty big disappointment to this point. A lot of us thought we were getting a steal. It doesnt look that way.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-25-2009 at 06:09 PM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
In a word, awful. He started off very strong in camp, even having interceptions on consecutive days in team drills. But, they soon learned that he aint too fast. They picked on him deep, and then again and then again. He's been beaten over and over in practice and this carried over to our Oakland preseason game. He made a few nice tackles but, was picked on and destroyed while in coverage, he didnt look like an NFL CB. I'm not even sure he played in the Titans preseason game last week. Still havent had any confirmation on this, I didnt see him. He may get a flier but, he's done nothing to deserve a roster spot and has just been a pretty big disappointment to this point. A lot of us thought we were getting a steal. It doesnt look that way.
Couldn't have said it any better. I was hopeful that we got a steal in him too, but it looks like we ran out of the bank with fool's gold.

I do however, think that DeAngelo Smith could be quality addition to the bench. His versatility between CB and S could come in handy.

What do you guys think of Pat Watkins?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Pat is going to be safe, same may go for Courtney Brown. We just dont have enough secondary depth. This is why Mickens may even sneak on, even though he sucks. There is potential for us to add a corner/safety after the final cuts, I'm sure. Like when we picked up Oglesby a couple of years ago.

Just think we could have had Munnerlyn, dammit. He's been outstanding for the Panthers. May win the nickel job by the end of preseason and he's a great punt return option. ugh. What could have been. :(

edit: Right now I'm thinking....

CB Newman
CB Jenkins
CB Scandrick
CB Ball
CB/S Brown (still better than Mickens)

S Hamlin
S Sensabaugh
S Hamlin
S Watkins
S Smith

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-25-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well damn. Maybe he just isn't the same after his knee injury because he looked fast enough to be an NFL CB.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think Pat is going to be safe, same goes for Courtney Brown. We just dont have enough secondary depth. This is why Mickens may even sneak on, even though he sucks.

Just think we would have had Munnerlyn, dammit. He's been outstanding for the Panthers. May win the nickel job by the end of preseason, he's a great punt return option. ugh. What could have been. :(
I haven't seen a lick of Watkins. I've been writing him off for some time now. So that's why I ask. But Courtney Brown... wow... If he makes the team (and I think he will over Watkins because of his versatility), I'll be scared if he ever gets into a game. He's been equally as bad as Mickens, imo.

I'm happy to hear that Alan Ball seems like an adequate back up though. There was a point when I was ready to write him off as well.. Nice to see a guy who really wants it, go out and get it.

Crossing my fingers over Michael Hamlin. I know a lot of folk here think he can be a starter one day, but I'm trying to stay reserved on that one. I'll be happy if he can be a solid back up years down the line.

I think we'll keep:

CB Terence Newman
CB Mike Jenkins
CB Orlando Scandrick
CB Alan Ball
CB/S Courtney Brown
CB/S DeAngelo Smith
FS Ken Hamlin
SS Gerald Sensabaugh
SS Michael Hamlin

...as for Munnerlyn... didn't he fumble a punt return the other day?

and heck, if we look back on the draft, there are a lot of guys I think we missed on. :(

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-25-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Munnerlyn did fumble a punt but he also had a 58 yard punt return in that game. He's probably winning their punt return job as well. Ryne Robisnon may not even make the team so, Captain has become the favorite.

As for our guys...Watkins is a still a key ST contributer so, I'm thinking he's coming back. Brown on the other hand, actually played well at corner against the Titans but, you really cant get too excited over that. But we're going to need 5 guys who can play corner with our injury history at the postion, imo. And Brown is the guy seeing reps at corner more so than Deangelo Smith. It's a position (the secondary as a whole) that I think we should and could go deep in. 10 or 11 guys.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-25-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

This is what I'm thinking....

QB Romo (1)
QB Kitna (2)
QB Mcgee (3)

HB Barber (4)
HB Jones (5)
HB Choice (6)

FB Anderson (7)

WR Williams (8)
WR Crayton (9)
WR Hurd (10)
WR Austin (11)
WR Ogletree (12)

TE Witten (13)
TE Bennett (14)
TE Phillips (15)

OL Adams (16)
OL Free (17)
OL Kosier (18)
OL Holland (19)
OL Gurode (20)
OL Procter (21)
OL Davis (22)
OL Colombo (23)
OL Mcquistan (24)

24 Offense

DL Olshansky (1)
DL Bowen (2)
DL Spears (3)
DL Hatcher (4)

NT Ratliff (5)
NT Siavii (6)

OLB Ware (7)
OLB Octavien (8)
OLB Spencer (9)
OLB Butler (10)

ILB James (11)
ILB Brooking (12)
ILB Carpenter (13)
ILB Williams (14)
ILB Hodge (15)

CB Newman (16)
CB Jenkins (17)
CB Scandrick (18)
CB Ball (19)
CB/S Brown (20)

S Hamlin (21)
S Sensabaugh (22)
S Hamlin (23)
S Watkins (24)
S Smith (25)

25 Defense

K Folk (1)
K Buehler (2)
P Mcbriar (3)
LS Ladouceur (4)

4 Special

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-25-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

How long is Brandon Williams going to be out? Is he on PUP?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
How long is Brandon Williams going to be out? Is he on PUP?
Brandon will join Brewster, it's a torn ACL. He's done for the year.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Brandon will join Brewster, it's a torn ACL. He's done for his career.
Fixed it for ya. ;)

Seriously... I didn't expect our rookie class to start off this bad so soon.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watkins will make the team, but I think this is his last year. I think the rookies we drafted will push him out after this year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-26-2009, 09:49 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Fixed it for ya. ;)

Seriously... I didn't expect our rookie class to start off this bad so soon.
Ha and watch him become a pro-bowler...

Chill with the injury hate D-Unit.. seriously.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look at this draft, D:

2 36 Kevin Kolb QB 08/24/1984 Houston
2 57 Victor Abiamiri DE 01/14/1986 Notre Dame
3 87 Stewart Bradley LB 11/02/1983 Nebraska
3 90 Tony Hunt RB 11/24/1985 Penn State
5 159 C.J. Gaddis DB 09/15/1985 Clemson
5 162 Brent Celek TE 01/25/1985 Cincinnati
6 201 Rashad Barksdale DB 05/11/1984 Albany (NY)
7 236 Nate Ilaoa RB 04/04/1983 Hawaii

Two wasted 2nd rounders, a wasted 3rd and no late round finds to speak of. That is Philly in 07. With 4 picks in the first 3 rounds all they could come up with is a slightly above average starter at MLB. Not too impressive. The Giants?

1 20 Aaron Ross DB 09/15/1982 Texas
2 51 Steve Smith WR 05/06/1985 Southern California
3 81 Jay Alford DT 05/28/1983 Penn State
4 116 Zak DeOssie LB 05/24/1984 Brown
5 153 Kevin Boss TE 01/11/1984 Western Oregon
6 189 Adam Koets OT 01/07/1984 Oregon State
7 224 Michael Johnson DB 05/09/1984 Arizona
7 250 Ahmad Bradshaw RB 03/19/1986 Marshall

At first glance, it looks pretty good because we know all those names. But look closely and do you see a single high quality starter? Not really. Boss, Smith and Alford are the best that class has to offer--besides Ross--and while all are solid players, non are going to be difference makers or anything close to Pro Bowlers. Ross, after a really really good rookie year, took a step back last year. Will he become a star? Possible, but it doesn't look likely. And while the "he is young, give him time" line might seem nice, does anyone realize that he is 27? He's nearly as old as Witten for crying out loud! This is considered a "solid" draft, and considering that Dallas had no 1st or 2nd rounders, I don't think its much better than what we had this year. Don't get me started on Washington. Should we compare to our 2007 draft?

1 26 Anthony Spencer DE 01/23/1984 Purdue
3 67 James Marten OT 04/18/1984 Boston College
4 103 Isaiah Stanback QB 08/16/1984 Washington
4 122 Doug Free OT 01/16/1984 Northern Illinois
6 178 Nick Folk K 11/05/1984 Arizona
6 195 Deon Anderson RB 01/27/1983 Connecticut
7 212 Courtney Brown DB 02/10/1984 Cal Poly-S.L.O.
7 237 Alan Ball DB 03/29/1985 Illinois

Spencer is less proven than Ross, but imo he has a better chance at stardom. With what's left we have a bunch of guys that are decent backups in Ball, Free and (last year) Brown. But we also have two special team stars in Nick Folk and Deon Anderson, and Anderson is a solid NFL starter at his position.

This draft is widely ridiculed as a failed draft, but frankly I don't think it's far behind what NY did the same year and is clearly and significantly better than Philly....and that's without factoring in the trade down at 22 that cost us a chance at Dwayne Bowe (which would have in turn cost us a chance at Felix, but negated the need to trade for Roy W and likely given us a shot at getting Orakpo this year), a move that significantly detracted from this draft, but paid big dividends the next year.

Edit: And that's not even counting the UDFAs in Hurd and Austin, who are both turning into quality NFL players.

Now let's look at last season.

Philly:

2 47 Trevor Laws DT 06/14/1985 Notre Dame
2 49 DeSean Jackson WR 12/01/1986 California
3 80 Bryan Smith DE 11/29/1983 McNeese State
4 109 Michael McGlynn OG 03/08/1985 Pittsburgh
4 117 Quintin Demps DB 06/29/1985 Texas-El Paso
4 131 Jack Ikegwuonu DB 11/18/1984 Wisconsin
6 184 Michael Gibson OG 11/18/1985 California
6 200 Joe Mays LB 07/06/1985 North Dakota State
6 203 Andrew Studebaker DE 09/16/1985 Wheaton (IL)
7 230 King Dunlap OT 09/09/1985 Auburn

NYG:

1 31 Kenny Phillips DB 11/24/1986 Miami
2 63 Terrell Thomas DB 01/08/1985 Southern California
3 95 Mario Manningham WR 05/25/1986 Michigan
4 123 Bryan Kehl LB 12/26/1983 Brigham Young
5 165 Jonathan Goff LB 12/12/1985 Vanderbilt
6 198 Andre' Woodson QB 04/25/1984 Kentucky
6 199 Robert Henderson DE 11/09/1983 Southern Mississippi

Dallas:

1 22 Felix Jones RB 05/08/1987 Arkansas
1 25 Mike Jenkins DB 03/22/1985 South Florida
2 61 Martellus Bennett TE 03/10/1987 Texas A&M
4 122 Tashard Choice RB 05/07/1986 Georgia Tech
5 143 Orlando Scandrick DB 11/04/1984 Boise State
6 167 Erik Walden DE 08/21/1985 Middle Tennessee State

As top-heavy a draft as you will see. Five potential stars sitting there, as Scandrick and Jenkins have both assumed (essentially) starting roles already, Felix is maybe the most dangerous open field runner in the game already, Bennett is a physical freak of nature who is already emerging despite being stuck behind the NFL's best at his position and Tashard Choice....I have sort of kept it to myself, but he reminds me so much of Emmitt it scares me some times. He doesn't have any single remarkable physical trait that grabs you, but I think he will make a couple of Pro Bowls in this league, likely with another team. Aside from an injury washout in the 6th, this draft produced starting quality players with every pick, as well as major star power.

Compare that with Philly, who only drafted one guy who looks capable of being a star (Desean) and got a bunch of JAGs and busts with the rest of their picks, with the possible exception of Dunlap, who I've heard some good things about; and NY who had, again, a "solid" draft with a potential star at the top--Phillips, who I wanted badly instead of Jenkins on draft day--and then a couple of solid picks later and a few soon-to-be flameouts (coughManninghamcough) as well.

While its early, and I don't have the low down info on these young players that I do on my own teams', I think its fairly easy to see that--all told--the Cowboys outdrafted both their division rivals in the last two years combined, with Dallas looking like it had another one of those "banner" years in 2008 only 3 years after having one in 2005. Its only natural that we would have a down year in 2009, especially after you factor in that we traded two high picks to get our new #1 WR.

People live too much "in the now" when being a fan. If things aren't going as well as they want, they see things through a far too negative (sh*t colored glasses) perspective, while if they are going well they are far too confident and optimistic.

Dallas has drafted really well the last six years or so, ever since Parcells came aboard. We've had two drafts that netted next-to-nothing in long term players (04 and 06) but you need to remember that half of drafting is getting good, cheap athletic players to fill out the bottom part of your roster and play STs. Pat Watkins, as an example, might seem like a disappointment to us considering his failures as a S, but he's been a massive asset as a young player making the minimum who is a terror on special teams, we just need two or three more like him to take us from a below average unit to one of the better ones in the L. This year, with no picks in the first two rounds, Dallas went after a TON of those types of players to help with a horrific ST unit that cost the team TWO ENTIRE GAMES last year. While they were at it, they took a stab at a high upside LB, a solid young OL and a yound developmental QB. There is nothing wrong with that approach. I see 5 potential starters out of this draft, in both Williamses, Butler, Buehler and Hamlin (and that doesn't account for Brewster, who is an unkown). I also see us getting no starters as well. But I'm confident that we will get 2 or 3 gems on STs from this class.

In the NFL, every franchise has years where they get NOTHING from their draft. It happens, its the norm. I could pull out the Pats drafts from earlier this decade to show you that it happens to even the best in the league. It isn't a sign of failure, or a notice of impending doom. Dallas needs depth, I think we'll get it out of this class. I see no reason to be unhappy with things.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Last edited by DMWSackMachine : 08-26-2009 at 02:11 PM.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

DMW, excellent post.

I've been saying on here for a while that we need perspective and we lose sight of the forest for the trees. On one of the threads, I posted the last couple of drafts for Tennessee; It aint that great. In fact, if you look at how much of a failure VY has been, it's almost a disaster for them. I also looked at NE while I was researching Tenn and while they get so much credit for their great drafts that built that dynasty (rightly so), their drafts the last couple of years have been pretty ordinary.

I think the biggest flaw is that we just haven't drafted well in the OL. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but that doesn't mean that our drafts have been complete failures.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-26-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I remember in 2007, Goose Gosselin, who is considered by many to be such a draft guru, writing this glowing review of the Titans draft, giving them a solid 'A' for sticking with their board. There seemed to be a clear shot at the Cowboys who had bypassed Brady Quinn, even though he was sitting at the top of their board at 22. By the end of the 2007, Gosselin did his revised draft grades, and he gave the Titans something like a 'D' or an 'F'. I thought that was really funny. It just goes to show that you can't evaluate a draft too early.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow DMW, its almost as if "Jerrah" isn't so bad.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Wow DMW, its almost as if "Jerrah" isn't so bad.
Well, the point is, that JJ since Big Bill has really let the football people run the draft. The media doesn't like portray that image, but Jerry truly does value the opinion of his football people. That's why I'm giving them a bit of slack on this year's draft because I think JJ was listening to his football folks when they told him that there wasn't much value left in the 2nd so they got out. All reports are that once Unger went, they didn't really have many 2nd round grades left on their board.

You can't have it both ways with Jerry. You can't hammer him for being a control freak and for doing what the football people tell him to do. Frankly, I think JJ likes to put forth this image of him being the biggest swinging D, but I think this offseason shows that he's willing to go against what he thinks is right if enough people in the organization tell him otherwise. I think the release of TO was a huge turning point for JJ and this organization. Most importantly, I think it signals the growing influence of Stephen Jones.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-26-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

What does anybody know about Duke Preston?

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player....news&nid=61770

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-26-2009, 07:09 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Center/guard type guy. Versatile backup with a lot of starts under his belt. He's decent, well decent enough to win a starting job last year. Nothing special but better than Procter. Buffalo didnt want to retain him this year despite being thin at center so, there is that but, I still like him more than Procter. He's no stranger to getting pushed back deep into the pocket but again, upgrade over Procter's near useless ass, imo. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-26-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Yeah, that's what I've been able to read about him. Nothing special but definately an upgrade over proctor.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

...and THAT's why this forum misses you in the offseason, DWM. :D

That was a great post to put into perspective how we have done in the past. I get what you're telling me and I know I have to realize that I can't expect perfection year to year. I have the same problem with fans who expect us to win the SB every year. ha. So yeah. I getcha.

However, to be more clear, it's not the past drafts that I have been sulking about. It's this year's draft in comparison to what our rivals have done this year. I know that it's unfair, and I know I could be dead F'n wrong too. The main thing is that I want to be honest with myself. Even if I'm wrong, I want to be honest in my judgements, and maybe I haven't been.

According to the fan landscape here, I'm defiinitely feeling like a minority when it comes to my criticism of the draft. Perhaps I'm not being fair about their upside. Maybe I'm surrounded by too much optimism? I dunno. Maybe somewhere in between.

So, here is my attempt at relooking the situation...

Draft Objectives:

1) Fixing Special Teams. It seems like Jerry desperately wanted to fix STs... and for good reason. We finished last in our STs rankings. So he fired our STs coach before the draft. It was clear that the players we drafted, not only could be good players at their positions, but also have the ability/experience to be good STs players as well. I admit that calling them strictly STs players is more name calling than being fair to their full abilities. In reality, these guys will have the chance to prove that they can hold onto a roster spot AND help to improve STs.

My view: I think that better STs coaching will help. I think that the overall improvement from last year's group will help (as I don't think personnel was the biggest issue). I think that drafting Buehler will help. I think that a healthy Felix Jones will help in the return game. But, on the other hand, I think that it was overkill to draft so many players and give up quality in return. I think that he could've been more aggressive in trying to trade up to get better quality.

Attempt to satisfy goal: Accomplished (by overkill). lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Addressing future financial restraints. I really have to applaud Jerry for handing the financial side of football over to Stephen Jones. The signings Stephen has done have been marvelous. Damn right steals if you think about it and compare it to what the rest of the league is doing.

With this draft I think the team went into the draft thinking that they needed to acquire "cheap" labor. With so much spent on our starters and the upcoming Demarcus Ware extension, the team must have seen that they couldn't afford to field a team of highly paid contracts. So it seems keeping all of their original picks was an idea all along and that trading up wasn't the best plan this year.

My View: With that being the case, I have to tip my hat off to them for having the foresight to do that. Sounds like a sound plan of attack. Very logical. Now let's look at where the cost savings are:

Plan: Drafting Jason Williams and Stephen Hodge saves money on re-signing Kevin Burnett.

Goal: Hit. Jason Williams does allow us to save money on the position and possibly upgrade the position and Hodge costs nothing.

---

Plan: Drafting Butler and Williams allowed them to feel better about cutting Greg Ellis.

OK, you could say that. But you could also say Anthony Spencer is the one who's job that is. Butler and Williams are looking to replace Justin Rodgers and Carlos Polk basically... cheap labor.

Goal: Butler and Williams upgrade Rodgers and Polk, but the financial gain is not significant.

---

Plan: Drafting Robert Brewster saves money from addressing the position in FA.

Goal: N/A. Had Brewster been healthy, this might've been the case. He won't be healhty enough to give the team enough confidence that they won't have to readdress the need next year. Unpredictable circumstance, so I can't give Jerry a bad grade. A change in my evaluation. Prior to now, I've been hating on the pick big time, because I also thought it was a reach. I'll wait to see how he recovers.

---

Plan: Drafting McGee saves money for a #3 QB.

Goal: Fail. McGee is no better than some UDFAs or FAs out there that would've been cheaper than the cost on a 4th round pick.

---

Plan: Drafting a Kicker saves money on a kickoff specialists.

Goal: This only makes sense is Buehler gives the team enough confidence that they can cut Folk. No cost savings here.

---

Plan: Late round picks on the Secondary.

Goal: I think the team did a good job in trying to save costs in our secondary, while at the same time trying to improve the player personnel. Tra Thomas, Keith Davis, Pat Watkins, Courtney Brown, Roy Williams have all been worse than JAGs. If I think what I think is right, I think that Hamlin and Smith have a legit future here. I can see an upgrade in talent while maintaining cheap labor costs. We also were able to cut Roy, but I think that has more to do with Sensabaugh. Anyways, Goal hit.

--

Plan: Draft Manny Johnson to save money on signing him as an UDFA.

Goal: Hit. But who cares? lol.

Attempt to satisfy goal: While the logic, plan were sound, the execution only provided marginal results.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Finding Quality Talent: This is an obvious objective for any team. I think we got some hits and some misses and I'm including Roy Williams in the equation. Jason Williams is probably everyone's favorite player from this draft for obvious reasons. During the draft process I came to love the prospect. In my mind, Jason Williams will always be "thule's guy". He was the first to mention him here and the fact that we landed him, makes that an easy call. Mad props to thule and his scouting eye. But back to the subject, we selected J-Will with our pick we got from the Browns in last year's trade. I had no problems with the pick, especially with the insider news that was released later that the Jags were going to pick him with one of their 2 picks (72 & 73). Brilliant foresight by Jerry and gang to nab him then.
Victor Butler was a surprise selection. We took him with the pick we got from trading down with the Bills. Pick 110. At pick 120, we took Brandon Williams. *cough* overkill *cough*

My View: I honestly believe that Butler would've been there at 120 for us to take. So for me to swallow the pill that we traded down from 51 in order to get Robert Brewster and Brandon Williams is tough to take down. At 51, I wanted so badly for us to take Jaron Gilbert who I thought would not be available. When the TV screen showed us trading down, my heart sunk. From then on, I watched the draft in sulky attitude. IMO, Jerry got too cute. We ended up with 2 lesser talented players that I have a hard time believing would make a better impact, than the 1 more talent player in Gilbert... who would also be great in STs in his own right. Turns out those 2 players are now lost for the year. How can I not be even more upset? *Deep inhale, exhale....* We scouted Gilbert hard and brought him in for private workouts. He ended up getting picked 1 pick before we got on the clock. I felt burned. Thoughts of another year of Marcus Spears raced past my mind in agony. "Noooooooooo Gilbertttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!! F U Chicago!!!!!!!!! F U Jerry for trading down!!!!! "was typed in my draft day chat discussions. :D Had we landed Jarron Gilbert at 51 and Jason Williams at 69 with the 2 picks we had going into the draft, I would be sitting on cloud 9 right now. Fact that we didn't..... Basis for the pain and harsh criticism I give to Jerry and this grade on the draft. Butler would've been there at 120, 10 picks later and the rest of our draft could've remained the same. Nix Brewster and B.Williams and substitute Gilbert. That grade would've been an A+.

Attempt to satisfy goal: Too many picks. We went with quantity over quality. Could've been better.

Jaron Gilbert, Jason Williams, Stephen McGee, Victor Butler, DeAngelo Smith, Michael Hamlin, David Buehler, Stephen Hodge, and Jason Phillips looks mighty good right about now.

So I've garbled up a lot of words here and what does it all mean?

In a few words, I think Jerry did a great job in analyzing our situation and I think he came up with great goals, but ultimately fell a little bit short. I think he miscalcuated his assets and could've come away with a better draft. While I don't think this draft was a complete waste by any means, I'm not in the camp that Jerry did the best job possible.

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-26-2009 at 07:34 PM.