Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinChase View Post
Much as I hate saying it, we'd be dumb to overlook Washington. That defense has the potential to be downright scary, and if Jim Zorn lets Jason Campbell be what he is, a downfield passer, they could be real trouble.
If you said this 2 months ago, Id agree with you. I had Washington as a sleeper. But after watching their oline....not so much anymore.

The pass rushers in the East are going to abuse that oline. And Zorn's dink and dunk just doesn't match the strengths of Campbell as youve said.

The defense is gonna be beastly. But it won't be enough by itself to overcome the offense. I see 8-8, 9-7 if they catch a hot streak.

They'll keep 3 teams in the East from getting in the playoffs. Bc they have a decent year, only 2 teams in the East make it to the playoffs this year.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You've become very in tune to what I've been thinking (and said most of in the 2009 Outlook), BBD. Eerie.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
You've become very in tune to what I've been thinking (and said most of in the 2009 Outlook), BBD. Eerie.
The homer in me is still holding out hope though :)
Old 09-08-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
The thing I've been saying is that this Dallas team is virtually the same team that went 13-3.

Dallas has depth issues, but when you look at our starting 22, talent isn't our issue. Our issues have been the intangibles.
I'm telling you, that logic doesn't/can't work. Our personnel last year was closer to that than this year. Look what happened. The NFL landscape changes so much every year that you can't just look at the starting rosters and say ok this looks like our 13-3 season, so that's what we'll be, or that's what I think we'll be.

Even if we did go 13-3, the reason wouldn't be because of that logic.

I think Dallas is playing the underdog card right now, but we've all seen how the media is quicker to prop this team atop the standings faster and more undeserving than any other team in the league. As soon as it even hints like we might be a top competitor, they blast us to the top. Then they love to report on us when crumble too. Reporting on the Cowboys makes ESPN money. Big money.

There's a lot of question marks in this division. We always talk about this being the toughest division, but I'm not sure the NFC rep in the SB comes from this division. We just like to think it.

Dallas has a chance like every team in the NFL right now to be champs. We were a few plays away from beating Pittsburgh at the end of the season last year. It's not like we're so inferior to them and they won the SB. There is great reason for optimism once again.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Strange, Hoge seems so much smarter now! :D

I kind of like being the underdog. If we stay relatively healthy, I think we've got a chance to surprise some people.
He does seem smarter now. :) ;)

I will always remember when he said we wouldnt draft Felix Jones, though. Because he was too much like Marion Barber. lolz. The guy hasnt been credible for years.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is amazing to me is how much these so called "experts" ignore what's going on on the field and just say whatever they want.

The following is from ESPN's season preview, which lists the Strengths and Weaknesses of each team:

Quote:
Weaknesses

Lack of a true No. 1 WR: Roy Williams may or may not be that guy, but right now this is a true question mark. After coming over from Detroit in a trade last season, Williams was disappointing. It's critical Williams steps up because not only must he fill the shoes of Owens, he must be able to make enough big plays to keep the field open for Witten.

Inconsistent secondary: After beginning the 2008 season with one of the deeper cornerback corps in the NFL, Dallas has little depth there this season.

Tony Romo, sort of: He's not really a weakness because he is a solid starter, but Romo needs to mature. He needs to start making plays in December … in big games. Until he does that, he will not be an elite starter.
I mean, they actually list Tony Romo, obviously one of the very best players in the league at his position, as a weakness. How ridiculous is that.

No "true #1 WR"? Does Pittsburgh have that? Does Minny have that? Does Tennessee have that? Do the Chargers have that? Yet none of these teams are critisized for their deficiencies there, and none but the Chargers have anything close to a Jason Witten (let alone a guy like Tell Us) roaming around the interior. Not just that, but would you take any of those teams' top WR over Roy Williams? Being honest, would you?

Inconsistency in the secondary? Yes, that will happen when you have a constant shuffling of the lineup due to injury and suspension. After Pacman was gone and Newman came back, we were dominant against the pass. This year, we have one of the best threesomes in the league. Few people can boast a better 3rd CB than either Scandrick or Jenkins, and Newman is still at the top of his game and looking healthy going into the year for the first time since 2006 (his best season).

Yet it doesn't stop the dumbasses in the press from just saying whatever they want and having no consequences, does it?

Which is not to say that this team doesn't have issues. If I have am picking nits with them, I'm going to go after overall team depth, interior run defense over the course of a game, and the ability to create turnovers as their biggest issues. None of the things that people are saying is even true, yet everyone smiles and nods because its Dallas and as long as they're talking **** about the Cowboys its fine, you don't have to back it up with facts or substance.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
He does seem smarter now. :) ;)

I will always remember when he said we wouldnt draft Felix Jones, though. Because he was too much like Marion Barber. lolz. The guy hasnt been credible for years.
He did nail (WR) Mike Williams and Vince Young 100%. I hate the guy, but I do remember him being a voice of reason on those 2 prospects specifically.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are only a few media guys I like/liked:

- Bill Parcells - when he was on/wrote for ESPN
- Boomer Esiason - calling MNF games on the radio
- Colin Cowherd - even though I don't always agree with him.
- Brian Billick on ESPN - love his play breakdowns
- Adam Schefler - calls a lot of rumors right
Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
What is amazing to me is how much these so called "experts" ignore what's going on on the field and just say whatever they want.

The following is from ESPN's season preview, which lists the Strengths and Weaknesses of each team:

I mean, they actually list Tony Romo, obviously one of the very best players in the league at his position, as a weakness. How ridiculous is that.

No "true #1 WR"? Does Pittsburgh have that? Does Minny have that? Does Tennessee have that? Do the Chargers have that? Yet none of these teams are critisized for their deficiencies there, and none but the Chargers have anything close to a Jason Witten (let alone a guy like Tell Us) roaming around the interior. Not just that, but would you take any of those teams' top WR over Roy Williams? Being honest, would you?

Inconsistency in the secondary? Yes, that will happen when you have a constant shuffling of the lineup due to injury and suspension. After Pacman was gone and Newman came back, we were dominant against the pass. This year, we have one of the best threesomes in the league. Few people can boast a better 3rd CB than either Scandrick or Jenkins, and Newman is still at the top of his game and looking healthy going into the year for the first time since 2006 (his best season).

Yet it doesn't stop the dumbasses in the press from just saying whatever they want and having no consequences, does it?

Which is not to say that this team doesn't have issues. If I have am picking nits with them, I'm going to go after overall team depth, interior run defense over the course of a game, and the ability to create turnovers as their biggest issues. None of the things that people are saying is even true, yet everyone smiles and nods because its Dallas and as long as they're talking **** about the Cowboys its fine, you don't have to back it up with facts or substance.
You touched on something right there. This has bothered me for a long time. T-New, while a shutdown guy... has never been a playmaking corner. Thus I've never really been able to put him in the upper echelon of top corners to play the game. If he busts out and has a 7-8 INT season, he'll finally be there for me.

Another reason why I loved Mike Jenkins in the draft. I felt he would bring that element to our team.

But it's not just DBs... I mean our DL and LBs need to be more active in stripping the ball, jarring it loose and picking balls off too.

We just don't get enough. Is that just coaching? Luck? Both? Neither?
Old 09-08-2009, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Emmitt Smith predicted 7-9 haha.. He said RW can't get it done and the defense hasn't ever been what is supposed to be.

This is true though, even though we lead the league in sacks I believe we were in the bottom half of the league in PPG allowed.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Dallas has depth issues, but when you look at our starting 22, talent isn't our issue. Our issues have been the intangibles.
Quote:
We did a terrible job on managing the value of our picks. We should've kept 51 and took Gilbert... or Sean Smith....
Yes it wasn't a "value" draft by any means. If you want to put a positive spin on it, I guess it was depth draft. I was reminded of those drafts of the Jimmy Johnson era when they were drafting late in the 1st rd. b/c they were actually winning playoff games then, then they would trade out of the 1st rd. to stockpile picks for no concrete reason & picking players for whom they had no obvious need. Doing **** like that on draft weekend used to enrage me for months & I guess it did some of you too

Dallas doesn't really allow its draft picks into starting jobs unless they're these phenoms who come along once in a decade like Demarcus Ware or giftwrapped can't miss players like Spencer. Note that the primary guy they lost thru FA, Canty, was himself replaced by a FA in Igor. That has to be demotivating to a Dallas pick who isn't a marquee big name, & none of their picks this yr were those, Carpenter should have started looking for greener pastures as soon as his father former HC Parcells left for yet another retirement. The only way they can crack that star-studded starting lineup is to sub for an injury. I think it's b/c Jerry Jones is greatly enamored of those marquee name players, or wants to rehab & personally take credit for rehabbing character issues players like Tank & Pacman.

Last edited by LizardState : 09-08-2009 at 06:59 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Terrance Newman is definitely a playmaker. It doesn't matter if he doesn't catch INTs, he's a playmaker by the simple fact that he shuts down one side of the field by himself.

He indirectly accounts for a lot of sacks, and allows for more 8 man fronts. So I'll take a guy like him, who completely shuts his man down over a guy like Samuel, who'll get beat regularly but also create a couple of turnovers.

Its all in your preference.

As for the Cowboys not creating turnovers in general, its bc you run a lot of man once Wade took over. Its much harder getting INTs when youre in man coverage.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Merril Hodge is the man. He gets way too much flack. I remember last year everyone was killing him for saying that as long as the Cowboys offense runs the ball and limits turnovers, the defense will carry them to victories.

Everyone laughed at him for saying that. Well...what happened? The reason the Cowboys didn't make the playoffs were bc they didn't run the ball and turned it over. Hodge was right all along.

He was right about Leinart and Young, as was already mentioned. He might not say what ppl want to hear, but the guy is right more often then he is wrong.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

A lot is talked about how Dallas had all of their starting positions filled so no rookie could come in and start right away, but I still disagree. Marcus Spears doesn't do enough to get that honor. Gerald Sensabaugh hasn't answered any questions yet. Kyle Kosier is not the savior everyone makes him out to be. Keith Brooking is a starter. NUFCED. Crayton, Hurd and Austin didn't stop the Cowboys from trying to get Maclin. So yeah... I think there was opportunities to fill a starting spot with a good rookie.

That said, the draft imo is the bloodline to the future of the team. I really could care less if we got a starter in Year 1 from someone in the draft. However, did we patch up areas of need with future starters? I don't see that. Instead, I see us patch up depth with depth type players. Meanwhile ignoring the OL and DL. The 2 most important units in football, imo. I know we got Brewster, but even with a healthy Brewster you can't sell me on the point that we did enough there.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Merril is almost always wrong now. I cant even stand to listen to him on most occassions.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Terrance Newman is definitely a playmaker. It doesn't matter if he doesn't catch INTs, he's a playmaker by the simple fact that he shuts down one side of the field by himself.

He indirectly accounts for a lot of sacks, and allows for more 8 man fronts. So I'll take a guy like him, who completely shuts his man down over a guy like Samuel, who'll get beat regularly but also create a couple of turnovers.

Its all in your preference.

As for the Cowboys not creating turnovers in general, its bc you run a lot of man once Wade took over. Its much harder getting INTs when youre in man coverage.
I guess I'm too greedy. I want a shutdown corner who does both. Shutdown his side AND get turnovers. Not either or. haha. Guess there's really only 1 Deion. ;)
Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ehhh, you might be too unrealistic-D-Unit. I would say there are VERY few shut down corners in the league. T-New can shut someone down.

Best case scenario, I would love to have one shut down corner and one pay making corner. Since I have been watching the Boys, they have only had two paymaking corners that I can remember off the top of my head. Deion and Everson Walls. I might be forgetting someone, but off the top of my head that is all I can recall.

I was originally mad about the draft. I would agree the BOYS only address depth. That is hard to watch. But after watching them play in person, I was no longer mad. And I will tell you why...

John Kitna.

I thought Brad Johnson's arm was shot. After watching Kitna play, I have no doubt he can be a reliable backup quaterback. If Romo goes down, we no longer have to chalk up starts with our backup as losses. I think Kitna can still play.

I loved Anthony Henry, and hated watching him go. But now I am fine with the trade.

We may be better than some say......

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
Ehhh, you might be too unrealistic-D-Unit. I would say there are VERY few shut down corners in the league. T-New can shut someone down.

Best case scenario, I would love to have one shut down corner and one pay making corner. Since I have been watching the Boys, they have only had two paymaking corners that I can remember off the top of my head. Deion and Everson Walls. I might be forgetting someone, but off the top of my head that is all I can recall.

I was originally mad about the draft. I would agree the BOYS only address depth. That is hard to watch. But after watching them play in person, I was no longer mad. And I will tell you why...

John Kitna.

I thought Brad Johnson's arm was shot. After watching Kitna play, I have no doubt he can be a reliable backup quaterback. If Romo goes down, we no longer have to chalk up starts with our backup as losses. I think Kitna can still play.

I loved Anthony Henry, and hated watching him go. But now I am fine with the trade.

We may be better than some say......
For awhile, before he lost a step or two, Anthony Henry filled that role. If you look back, he got quite a few INTs. I'm hoping that Jenkins or Scandrick can step up this year in that area.
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
For awhile, before he lost a step or two, Anthony Henry filled that role. If you look back, he got quite a few INTs. I'm hoping that Jenkins or Scandrick can step up this year in that area.
Well, I don't think they'll get any more help than they got last year from the front 7. It'd be nice to duplicate as sack champs, but I'm not expecting it. Hopefully the additions of Sensabaugh and White will allow them to be better.

I think our corners will have a lot more opportunity than they had last year of coming off the edge and blitzing the opposing QB. We saw some of that last year, but I expect them to get more chances now that they've been in the system for a year.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Shut Down Defined...

Quote:
By Definition a shut down corner shouldn't get INT's. If they are shutting down the opposing player/side of the field then they will have very few attempts at an INT due to lack of balls thrown their way.

In fact, most of the top INT guys are gamblers and far from 'Shut Down' guys. They get interceptions because they try to jump routes and often they guess right (often they guess wrong).

To D-Unit...some stats for you. Deion Sanders played 5 seasons with the Cowboys (during the prime of his career) and had 14 INTS, or less than 3 a year. He was a shut down guy, NOT an INT guy. Deion had ONE, yes ONE season with more than 6 Interceptions in his career and NEVER had more than 7 in a season.

Conversely, T-New has played 6 seasons with the Cowboys and has 20 INTs. He is averaging more than 3 per year, better than Deion did.

Facts, not perception is what you should use.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's be fair, guys. Two years ago, Dallas was among the league leaders in forced turnovers coming down the stretch. At 12-1, before that weird letdown game against the Eagles, we were #2 (iirc) in forced TOs. In the final 3 games we turned the ball over a lot and didn't force many (if any) TOs, but we did very very well most of that season. We finished with the 6th most INTs and the 8th most FFs, although we only recovered half (FRs are almost entirely a product of luck).

I think we have the players to do it, and not enough is made of the fact that we led the league in sacks and yet were not able to make many TOs out of it. Either something is seriously wrong or that was a massive fluke that should correct itself this season. Given our production the year before, as long as we can maintain pressure on the QB I think we have a shot to be in the top 10 in forced TOs.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 09-09-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
By Definition a shut down corner shouldn't get INT's. If they are shutting down the opposing player/side of the field then they will have very few attempts at an INT due to lack of balls thrown their way.

In fact, most of the top INT guys are gamblers and far from 'Shut Down' guys. They get interceptions because they try to jump routes and often they guess right (often they guess wrong).

To D-Unit...some stats for you. Deion Sanders played 5 seasons with the Cowboys (during the prime of his career) and had 14 INTS, or less than 3 a year. He was a shut down guy, NOT an INT guy. Deion had ONE, yes ONE season with more than 6 Interceptions in his career and NEVER had more than 7 in a season.

Conversely, T-New has played 6 seasons with the Cowboys and has 20 INTs. He is averaging more than 3 per year, better than Deion did.

Facts, not perception is what you should use.
Welcome back LSU! Those are some good stats! Opened my eyes for sure.

I just want him to be considered an All-Pro that's all. He doesn't get that recognition and I think it's because he doesn't get high INT stats. I'm happy with him no dobut about it. Just wanting him to get what he deserves.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Let's be fair, guys. Two years ago, Dallas was among the league leaders in forced turnovers coming down the stretch. At 12-1, before that weird letdown game against the Eagles, we were #2 (iirc) in forced TOs. In the final 3 games we turned the ball over a lot and didn't force many (if any) TOs, but we did very very well most of that season. We finished with the 6th most INTs and the 8th most FFs, although we only recovered half (FRs are almost entirely a product of luck).

I think we have the players to do it, and not enough is made of the fact that we led the league in sacks and yet were not able to make many TOs out of it. Either something is seriously wrong or that was a massive fluke that should correct itself this season. Given our production the year before, as long as we can maintain pressure on the QB I think we have a shot to be in the top 10 in forced TOs.
I know I post a lot on the interneeeeetzzz... but what is iirc? You guys are getting nuts! I just learned "lol". hhahaaha. :D
Old 09-09-2009, 04:25 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

*if i recall correctly*

And, yes, its great to see LSU posting. Hope it isn't one of a kind.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 09-09-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
*if i recall correctly*

And, yes, its great to see LSU posting. Hope it isn't one of a kind.
Thanks... I feel just a little bit more cool now... and a little bit more dorky at the same time. hahaha.

We need the season to get here already. I'm tired of the conversations we've had here lately.