Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-22-2009, 01:55 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
How is this not a trend though? Newman has been falling off every year for the past three or so years. I've never been such a cynic like some of us here (D i'm looking at you), so it's not like i think the sky is falling, but god damn how ****** did the secondary look yesterday? They've NEVER played this bad, and if it weren't for the run defense, it could have been a rout.

I know some of you all were talking about the lack of pass rush, but to be honest, i never saw Eli take any 7 step drops, or hell, even 5 step drops. He was getting the ball out of there quickly, and most of the time his guys were wide open.
He took plenty 7 step drops and a ton of 5s too. The problem was that NY was max protecting a ton and only sending out 3 guys on a regular basis. When that happened and Dallas only brought 4, that leaves 7 defenders to cover 3 receivers. We have to do that, even for 5 seconds if necessary. That is enough to double every receiver and leave a safety up top. It was pure failure on Dallas' coverage teams, period.

Also, Dallas played much worse in the game last year against Washington. Newman was hurt and we made Campbell look like a prime Marino out there. Also coming to mind: at home vs. Saints in 06, at home versus Giants in 07, at home versus Lions in 06, at the Rams last year and at home vs. the Pats in 07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Pressuring the QB??? I assume you are referring to the 2 hits he put on Leftwich? Those were all scheme. He came on a twist and was unblocked in both instances. He never got close to Eli. In fact, he didn't even notch a tackle against NYG. Spears can't rush the passer for ****. You just homer-coat it like you always do.

You try to justify everything going on and somehow always find a way to prove that the Cowboys are the best team in the division and ****** players are overlooked gems. I'm sure you'll reply to this post trying to convince me we're a contender.

I got news dude. This is the same ****. Nothings changed.

I expect the team to go on a short run and go into the bye at 4-1, we'll be in contention until the 3rd quarter of the season, then we'll fall into desperation mode looking to grab a WC spot, and then we'll miss playoffs. Wade will be gone. Shanahan will be in. and we can start over.
Listen, just because you say bad things about your team does not make you objective. I've been more than willing to concede poor play with any player on our team in the past, as long as there is actual proof that that player has done poorly. As opposed to you, who has your little ideas in your head and that's just how it is. Spears has been one of your classic scapegoats ever since you started posting here, and its no surprise that when we come upon adversity you start singing your familiar refrain.

Calling me a homer is not only untrue, but major bush league (to use a hot term) on your part. I keep things in perspective, which is something that few fans are able to do after a devastating loss like the one we just suffered. The reality here is that we just lost by 2 as time expired to a team that most considered FAR superior to us. What went into that estimation? A lot of things, but the inability of Romo to protect the ball was one of them. This is nothing new, but when you added it all up, on a crazy night like Sunday when all sorts of insane bounces were going their way, Dallas was still better relative to the Giants than the vast majority of people thought.

That's perspective.

Now, is that good enough? **** no. I expect more. You expect more. Jerry expects more. Cowboy Nation expects more. Sure. So it must get better.

But just because our team suffers a devastating and embarrassing loss doesn't make every sh!tty thing you say true. So get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I know most of you don't agree with me on this, but I see no reason why the Cowboys HAVE to keep the 3-4 defense in case they make a coaching change.

I think Ware is very capable of playing DE in a 4-3, and he can even line up as Joker in a 4-3. You can move him around plenty in a 4-3 and still find mismatches.

I underestimated how FAST Ratliff is. He's a budding star. And I think he would be flat out dominant as a 4-3 UT.

I think Spears while a bust in a 3-4, would make a great 4-3 NT. I think Spencer can handle DE as well.

I think your LBs are more built for a 4-3 than a 3-4 anyway.

And your safety duo needs a serious overhaul anyway, regardless of scheme.

The Cowboys can keep a 3-4, don't get me wrong, but they don't HAVE to keep it. I think the personnel would work in either front.

I do think we are very capable of playing a 4-3 scheme. The one thing we don't have is a true-blue WILL backer to eat up ball carriers and roam sideline to sideline. But, yes, we do have the personnel to make the switch if necessary. But I still think, if we could just get a real NT, that our personnel is better suited to a 3-4. As good a DE as DeMarcus is, I think you lose some of the benefit of his greatness if you take away his ability to stand up and do all the things he is doing now.

And I just want to say that, at times like these, its great having you and your contrarian ways around. Things are always blown out of proportion, and having a non-Cowboy fan around to add some perspective to the brain-dead head hunters is very nice. Kudos.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blogging the boys just posted a report from a Dallas based source stating that MBIII is projected to miss 1-2 weeks with his quad strain.

I actually like it. My biggest frustration through week 2, even more than Romo's TOs and our defensive struggles, is our clear lack of comprehension when it comes to Felix Jones. We just don't seem to get how good he is. He should be in the game on 40% of all snaps or more, and get at least 12 touches a game, preferably 15. I don't see us grasping what a weapon we have, or understanding how to use it. Hopefully a week or two without Barber against a little weaker competition will teach us what we have.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:43 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man that sucks losing Barber when he's running so damn well right now. I hope that injury doesn't hamper him too much. I cringed when he pulled up Sunday night. Maybe this is a blessing to let Garrett learn how to use Felix like some of you have been saying. Good thing the running back depth is really great. I have more than enough faith in Choice and Felix to get the job done, even though you're missing alot with Barber.

As for the defensive concerns, I have a serious question. Do you guys think Wade can get things fixed to the point to where the D is solid again? So far the D has looked terrible in one game, and bad for the second half of another. Do you have enough faith that Wade can fix things? Personally I do because of what he is. Wade's not much of a head coach, but he's been highly regarded as a defensive coordinator for good reason. Seeing how good the D played in the first half of Sunday's game lets me believe that things won't be so bad all season. What do you guys think?

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

Barber out 1-2 weeks. Nice. Not too long and yet could be a blessing in disguise. Either way, we'll get a better feel on how best to utilize Felix effectively.

As for Cowher..

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/a...l-cowhers-mind

Looks like he's looking at Carolina. Figures.

Check out these tweets from TO. From the article...

Throwing gasoline on the fire down in Big D after the Giants stunned the Cowboys in their purty new palace, is a report that Terrell Owens tweeted last night: "neither ws i, blame the OC & romo!! but i'm happy 2 b where i am but i miss the other guys tht were & r true teammates!!" But now the only tweet comin' up on his page regarding the Cowboys-Giants game is: "Look, I'm nt gonna say anything bad about the cowboys, I hate tht sum of my boys played hard & they lost! Hope my boy MB is ok!! Nite!"
D-Unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:40 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...=tsn&type=lgns

Barber out 1-2 weeks. Nice. Not too long and yet could be a blessing in disguise. Either way, we'll get a better feel on how best to utilize Felix effectively.

As for Cowher..

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/a...l-cowhers-mind

Looks like he's looking at Carolina. Figures.

Check out these tweets from TO. From the article...

Throwing gasoline on the fire down in Big D after the Giants stunned the Cowboys in their purty new palace, is a report that Terrell Owens tweeted last night: "neither ws i, blame the OC & romo!! but i'm happy 2 b where i am but i miss the other guys tht were & r true teammates!!" But now the only tweet comin' up on his page regarding the Cowboys-Giants game is: "Look, I'm nt gonna say anything bad about the cowboys, I hate tht sum of my boys played hard & they lost! Hope my boy MB is ok!! Nite!"
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4495437

That's the latest story I've read about MBIII's injury. I anticipate he'll play some monday night.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
He took plenty 7 step drops and a ton of 5s too. The problem was that NY was max protecting a ton and only sending out 3 guys on a regular basis. When that happened and Dallas only brought 4, that leaves 7 defenders to cover 3 receivers. We have to do that, even for 5 seconds if necessary. That is enough to double every receiver and leave a safety up top. It was pure failure on Dallas' coverage teams, period.

Also, Dallas played much worse in the game last year against Washington. Newman was hurt and we made Campbell look like a prime Marino out there. Also coming to mind: at home vs. Saints in 06, at home versus Giants in 07, at home versus Lions in 06, at the Rams last year and at home vs. the Pats in 07.

Listen, just because you say bad things about your team does not make you objective. I've been more than willing to concede poor play with any player on our team in the past, as long as there is actual proof that that player has done poorly. As opposed to you, who has your little ideas in your head and that's just how it is. Spears has been one of your classic scapegoats ever since you started posting here, and its no surprise that when we come upon adversity you start singing your familiar refrain.

Calling me a homer is not only untrue, but major bush league (to use a hot term) on your part. I keep things in perspective, which is something that few fans are able to do after a devastating loss like the one we just suffered. The reality here is that we just lost by 2 as time expired to a team that most considered FAR superior to us. What went into that estimation? A lot of things, but the inability of Romo to protect the ball was one of them. This is nothing new, but when you added it all up, on a crazy night like Sunday when all sorts of insane bounces were going their way, Dallas was still better relative to the Giants than the vast majority of people thought.

That's perspective.

Now, is that good enough? **** no. I expect more. You expect more. Jerry expects more. Cowboy Nation expects more. Sure. So it must get better.

But just because our team suffers a devastating and embarrassing loss doesn't make every sh!tty thing you say true. So get over yourself.

I do think we are very capable of playing a 4-3 scheme. The one thing we don't have is a true-blue WILL backer to eat up ball carriers and roam sideline to sideline. But, yes, we do have the personnel to make the switch if necessary. But I still think, if we could just get a real NT, that our personnel is better suited to a 3-4. As good a DE as DeMarcus is, I think you lose some of the benefit of his greatness if you take away his ability to stand up and do all the things he is doing now.

And I just want to say that, at times like these, its great having you and your contrarian ways around. Things are always blown out of proportion, and having a non-Cowboy fan around to add some perspective to the brain-dead head hunters is very nice. Kudos.
Btw, i know i didn't write up a breakdown of the game, but there is one thing i want to discuss regarding Ware.

Everyone is bashing him saying he was invisible in this game couldn't be more wrong. He changed the entire dynamic of our rushing attack, and passing game, and thus impacted the game in ways we can't measure.

The Giants are an iform offense. We run out of the iform, and we run well out of the iform. When we ran iform against the Boys, we ripped off 6 to 7 yard runs. However, we barely did.

Why? Demarcus Ware. Thats why. We constantly had a TE on his side bc we couldn't leave him unblocked on any play, and that greatly effected our run game. Plus, we didn't run at Ware that much either, which kind of showed our cards. He's the most integral reason why our run offense was stuffed.

Him and Ratliff that is. We require our C to hold the NT on our outside power runs, but Ratliff was owning O'Hara all night.

Now as for pass O, we left a TE to help on Ware almost all the time minus the 2 minute drill. So again, one less route runner.

That entire offensive strategy that night was geared around 1 thing: Stop DeMarcus Ware at all costs. While the man didn't show up on the stat sheet, he impacted the gameplan dramatically.

And thanks for the compliment. I try ;)

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 09-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never want BBD to ever stop posting in this thread. Shocking is great too.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Now as for pass O, we left a TE to help on Ware almost all the time minus the 2 minute drill. So again, one less route runner.

That entire offensive strategy that night was geared around 1 thing: Stop DeMarcus Ware at all costs. While the man didn't show up on the stat sheet, he impacted the gameplan dramatically.

And thanks for the compliment. I try ;)
Um, hate to inform but he was single blocked most of the game. At least, that is what Archer says on DMN Blog after reviewing the tape.

I love DeMarcus but he seems slow and one-dimensional so far this year as it relates to pass rush.

Oh yeah 4-3 and WCO -- what a shock.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

So I rewatched the first half last night and saw a few things...

1. Anthony Spencer showed me that he can be a solid player out there for us. While he didn't get any sacks, and he needs to work on his bull rush because he's getting pushed too far outside instead of pushing right through and collapsing the pocket. But as far as his run containment on the outside, wrapping up tackles, coming from the other side of the field and assisting tackles, and dropping back in coverage, Spencer even had a batted pass. No way Greg Ellis is half as good as him in pass coverage. The Giants purposely ran opposite of Ware. The times they did in the first quarter, Ware wrapped up the runner. So Spencer was on full time duty against the runs to his side. Funny how they didn't right straight up the gut as much. Better for us I guess. Finally saw signs of his stock coming to fruition. Glad to see, hopefully he uses this game as a stepping stool and grows from it.

2. I take back anything I've ever said bad about Jay Ratliff. haha. I know you guys won't let me off the hook that easy. But really, against the Giatns he had an excellent game bursting through the line and his brute strength was awesome. Where was that at Tampa? I dunno. Didn't see the game. :( At least he's showing me that he's an improving player and not a finished product. I like the strides he's making.

3. Bobby Carpenter is a major liability and looks clueless out there. I'm all but done with him. Can't fight a block, takes bad angles, shows poor instincts in coverage... all he does is run into piles in the trenches where there's no action. I'll miss him as much as I miss Isaiah Stanback. Stanback who???

4. Ken Hamlin was active in run support, but he's lost some mojo in coverage. He used to be "the hammer". Anytime receivers came in front of him, he used to try to knock their lights out and cause them to drop passes with those hits. I didn't see any of that from him. Rather I saw guys consistently catch balls in front of him and all he'd do is arm tackle them. Receivers didn't get much YAC, but they got the catch and that was harmful enough. I don't know if this is a trend, but from what I saw, it looked like he's no longer the jarring hitter he used to. Old age? Trying to prolong his career by not sustaining injuries himself? I dunno what's his deal, but we can't afford soft tacklers who let guys catch balls in front of them. Being out of position wasn't his problem... letting guys off the hook easy was. When WRs can come across the middle and not be in fear of the big hit, they'll keep doing it all game. ...and that's what the Giants receivers did.

5. After the first half analysis, you'd come away still thinking Scandrick was a good player. He maintained tight coverage which prevented a 3rd down conversion. He batted a pass. Made sound tackles. I didn notice him slip up on some completions made against him. I wonder if he had cleet problems...? Also, he gave in too easily on jukes and bit on first moves made by the receiver. Anyways it was a decent first half for Scandrick.

6. Jenkins also played his assignments well and what's noticeable about him is his physicality as a corner. He likes to deliver hits like a safety. I liked that versatility out of him coming out of college as a draft prospect, but I wonder if that's not his natural position? We need him at corner though. That's for sure. One thing he needs to work on is not getting blocked by WRs so easily against the run.

7. Didn't notice Spears. Noticed a lot of other things going on on the field, but didn't notice any big impact from him. Or Hatcher for that matter. I saw Hatcher and Olshansky out there pretty often. Truth be told, Olshansky didn't show me much either.

8. Bradie James was often the 2nd man to the ball on running downs. Didn't notice him blitzing that much. At least he appeared active and flowed to the ball.

9. Brooking is easy to recognize out there with his white arms. :) His blitz attempts weren't working. He wasn't getting through the line at all.

10. I keep hearing how Sensabaugh did good by you guys, but I didn't notice him that much.

I'll do offense later.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to go back and look at the game again. I remember specifically the attention we gave him in the run game.

Just looking at Eli's highlights real quick on nfl.com (i know this isn't the best way to do it), it seemed like we doubled him on every 5 and 7 step drop. he either had the LT and LG on him, or the LT and an RB, or the LT and a brushing TE.

On the 3 step drops he had 1 on 1, but theres no point of doubling him on a 3 step drop.

Looking back, i was actually thoroughly impressed with Bradshaw's blocks on him. Bradshaw hit Ware pretty good on several occasions.

Oh and your safeties are doo doo. Just some quick observations.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Um, hate to inform but he was single blocked most of the game. At least, that is what Archer says on DMN Blog after reviewing the tape.

I love DeMarcus but he seems slow and one-dimensional so far this year as it relates to pass rush.

Oh yeah 4-3 and WCO -- what a shock.
I've put you back on unblock. ;)

From what I saw, Ware was not single blocked most of the game. I'm going to rewatch and take a closer look.

Slow? No. What I did pick up was him trying to do too much. I think Wade was right. He told Ware that the great DEs like Reggie White and Bruce Smith only had 1 or 2 moves. I know Ware was working on adding to his repotoire this offseason, but it may have taken away from what he does best. I saw him trying all kinds of twists and turns, but really if he had just pushed forward instead of trying to change directions (which increases your path to the QB and takes up more time), he probably would've gotten to Eli. If I could talk to him, I'd tell him to stop with the tricks and just go back to his speed and bull rush. He didn't even jump at the snap... He kind of stood there looking to fake out the tackle before he made a move. He's just gotta be more aggressive.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post

Spears is a turd dude. I've got all the books with metrics since he's been on our team and teams consistently run the ball down his ******* throat. Ever since he's been in the league he's been nothing short of terrible. He is a back up.

Ward and Thule will both back me on this. They've seen the numbers.

He's not a scapegoat, he's just that back. You're wrong.

Our team is not a championship team. accept it.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This Barber thing is getting me a little anxious. I think he should just take the game off for precautionary reasons. I'd love to see him play with the momentum he has, but I remember last year that he wasn't himself much due to being a little banged up. For next week I'd love to see Felix and Tashard handle things, while Barber rests up for the week after that.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:19 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
3. Bobby Carpenter is a major liability and looks clueless out there. I'm all but done with him. Can't fight a block, takes bad angles, shows poor instincts in coverage... all he does is run into piles in the trenches where there's no action. I'll miss him as much as I miss Isaiah Stanback. Stanback who???
I'm gonna miss Bobby, because every single time i see him out there, i'm hoping inside that he makes something special happen. But yeah, whenever they rushed him he was completely useless. They wasted a coverage defender and just ran him right into an OL and he just got gobbled up. In coverage he's decent, but they keep trying to blitz him on the inside when his skill-set (or lack there-of) is more suited to rush through the outside.

Quote:
4. Ken Hamlin was active in run support, but he's lost some mojo in coverage. He used to be "the hammer". Anytime receivers came in front of him, he used to try to knock their lights out and cause them to drop passes with those hits. I didn't see any of that from him. Rather I saw guys consistently catch balls in front of him and all he'd do is arm tackle them. Receivers didn't get much YAC, but they got the catch and that was harmful enough. I don't know if this is a trend, but from what I saw, it looked like he's no longer the jarring hitter he used to. Old age? Trying to prolong his career by not sustaining injuries himself? I dunno what's his deal, but we can't afford soft tacklers who let guys catch balls in front of them. Being out of position wasn't his problem... letting guys off the hook easy was. When WRs can come across the middle and not be in fear of the big hit, they'll keep doing it all game. ...and that's what the Giants receivers did.
I don't blame much of the porous pass coverage on Hamlin. He made tackles when they got to him, and he didn't give up big plays (that i remember). This game was all on the corners and on Wade. When he put them in man, they got beat, when he put them in zones, the line would never pressure Eli and gave him enough time to have his WRs find holes. It was just a terrible game plan all around. Much props to the Giants though for being able to exploit it at will.

[quote=D-Unit;1806909][quote=D-Unit;1806909]
Quote:
8. Bradie James was often the 2nd man to the ball on running downs. Didn't notice him blitzing that much. At least he appeared active and flowed to the ball.
I saw more than a few plays where Bradie James was the first to stuff Brandon Jacobs. I don't know why you're saying he was the second man there often.

[quote=D-Unit;1806909]
Quote:
9. Brooking is easy to recognize out there with his white arms. :) His blitz attempts weren't working. He wasn't getting through the line at all.
None of the blitz attempts were working. Chalk that to crappy scheming, or good protections by the Giants? Who knows, next week we'll find out when we play a pretty bad Carolina team.

Quote:
10. I keep hearing how Sensabaugh did good by you guys, but I didn't notice him that much.

I'll do offense later.
At least you didn't hear about him for the wrong reasons. He did nothing spectacular or note-worthy, and he did play a little better against Tampa, but we really don't have many options back there at safety.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Listening to Brian Broaudus on the radio yesterday:

-Hamlin was very poor.

-3 of 4 secondary guys played very poorly

-LBers were good, James had a much better game.

-Carp is weak, very weak. They may need to make a change quickly. Wonder the status on Williams? Wonder if they can get him up to speed to play 3rd down? They may be better off leaving Brooking in until Williams is ready to roll.

-OL was very good. Columbo was best OL.

-Romo was bad. Broaudus said he can't use the young player excuse anymore. Simply made horrible decisions and accuracy was poor.

-Ratliff was a beast. O'Hara is one of the best centers in the league and Ratliff whipped his butt all night long.

-WR did a very good job of blocking.

That's all I can remember.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:00 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'll do offense later.
When we do let's not forget Flozell Adams' costly penalty. Every time that guy gets a camera iso he provides max clownish embarrassments.

Maybe we can do a poll on his new nickname, from Go With the Flozell to Flozell He Blows-ell, to Flozell Blown Snap Count Adams, "Leg Whip" Adams, or maybe Flozell "****** Up Tuck" Adams..... we have the latitude to be pretty creative here.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
When we do let's not forget Flozell Adams' costly penalty. Every time that guy gets a camera iso he provides max clownish embarrassments.

Maybe we can do a poll on his new nickname, from Go With the Flozell to Flozell He Blows-ell, to Flozell Blown Snap Count Adams, "Leg Whip" Adams, or maybe Flozell "****** Up Tuck" Adams..... we have the latitude to be pretty creative here.
Certainly, that was a stupid penalty, but let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees.

He completely shut down one of the best pass rushers in the game in Osi.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-23-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Something that hasn't gotten much play so far is how much the ST are improved.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...s-cowboys.html

If Wade can just improve the defense to average, we should be able to win 10.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Certainly, that was a stupid penalty, but let's not lose sight of the forest for the trees.

He completely shut down one of the best pass rushers in the game in Osi.
what game were you watching? Romo constantly had to step up becuase Osi was killing Flozell outside on the speed rush.

Your interior OL was dominant however. No pass rush from the DT's gave Romo more time because how good your interior line was. I was VERY impressed by them. But Osi beat Flozell outside every time like he stole something. It was costly at times, because you would then run at that sideand Michael Johnson was putrid at stopping the run that game. But I can't tell you how much I was impressed by your interior line and Ratliff. Jay was phenomenal. He's pretty young too, right? I think he's gonna become a dominant dude for you guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
what game were you watching? Romo constantly had to step up becuase Osi was killing Flozell outside on the speed rush.

Obviously, we weren't watching the same game. There's nothing wrong with a QB having to take a step up or two in the pocket. The fact is, Osi never really was a threat and got owned on rushing plays. FRankly, I could care less if a guy takes off screaming like a nut up field every play. Romo has a good feel for stepping up in the pocket. That's not a threat to us most of the time. What you have to do if you are getting up field quickly is turn the corner on the OT. Osi never did that.

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 09-23-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:07 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Obviously, we weren't watching the same game. There's nothing wrong with a QB having to take a step up or two in the pocket. The fact is, Osi never really was a threat and got owned on rushing plays. FRankly, I could care less if a guy takes off screaming like a nut up field every play. Romo has a good feel for stepping up in the pocket. That's not a threat to us most of the time. What you have to do if you are getting up field quickly is turn the corner on the OT. Osi never did that.
no, he constantly beat flozell to the outside and would foce the pocket to collapse. He always does that, and when our interior pass rush is working, it's deadly. Osi did get destroyed in the run game, but my homer goggles are gonna attribute that to rust coming off his injury. But his speed rush was there and he constantly beat Flozell, forcing Romo into what should be an interior rush, but we had none. When he did turn inside, the interior line was there to help. Flozell was getting abused in the passing game, but dominated Osi in the run game.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

If Osi were "abusing" him, wouldn't that have produced at least one sack? He may have been hurried, but I don't even recall a play that he was rushed. He was knocked down a couple times, but I just can't see how you could say anyone was being abused when there was absolutely nothing to show for it.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-23-2009, 11:18 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
If Osi were "abusing" him, wouldn't that have produced at least one sack? He may have been hurried, but I don't even recall a play that he was rushed. He was knocked down a couple times, but I just can't see how you could say anyone was being abused when there was absolutely nothing to show for it.
if you think sacks are the only way to measure pass rush you need some help. Maybe abuse was a bit too strong a word, but Flozell looked like slowzell all night on Osi. Osi had him beat, but the Cowboys did a great job on help blocking and sliding. But again, it's the feeling of the pocket moving and collpasing on a QB that'll give him happy feet and rush decisions. I hate Romo, but he's not THAT bad with his accuracy where if he felt no pressure he'd make all those awful throws. Some of them he felt the pressure because Osi would move the pocket and draw help blocking. He was gunning for a sack all night, why you guys didn't do more draws, hell, even normal runs more to his side, or anywhere for that matter, confuses the hell outta me.
Quote:
Old 09-23-2009, 11:21 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
if you think sacks are the only way to measure pass rush you need some help.
Nope. I'm well aware of hurries and all that crap, genius.

Quote:
Maybe abuse was a bit too strong a word, but Flozell looked like slowzell all night on Osi. Osi had him beat, but the Cowboys did a great job on help blocking and sliding. But again, it's the feeling of the pocket moving and collpasing on a QB that'll give him happy feet and rush decisions. I hate Romo, but he's not THAT bad with his accuracy where if he felt no pressure he'd make all those awful throws. Some of them he felt the pressure because Osi would move the pocket and draw help blocking. He was gunning for a sack all night, why you guys didn't do more draws, hell, even normal runs more to his side, or anywhere for that matter, confuses the hell outta me.
This shows me that you don't remember much about the game. We ran tons of draws. We did have over 250 yards rushing.

There's not question Romo was bad, but he was not pressured on those bad throws. There's plenty of clips out there on the plays; I've seen them several times. Go find them.

I'm done with this converstion unless we can find a site that tracks hurries.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-23-2009, 11:26 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Nope. I'm well aware of hurries and all that crap, genius.

This shows me that you don't remember much about the game. We ran tons of draws. We did have over 250 yards rushing.

There's not question Romo was bad, but he was not pressured on those bad throws. There's plenty of clips out there on the plays; I've seen them several times. Go find them.

I'm done with this converstion unless we can find a site that tracks hurries.
he was hurried on some, but not all. that's true, he was pretty awful. And I know you ran plenty of draws, but you should've ran MORE. Your run game was murdering us, and at times you got away from it. Specifically I was talking aboutFelix, I coulda sworn I posted draws to felix, but oh well, my bad there.
Quote: