Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's a lot of blah blah blah and panic in this thread.

Our WRs are fine. I've always been a believer that you don't need a great WR corps to win in the NFL. Ours is good enough. They just need to be used to their strengths... and right now they're not.

The biggest problem to me is our run game. Call me crazy. You think I am right now, huh. LOL. Listen to me more carefully. I'm not doggin' our OL or the RBs. Nope. Far from it. I think the playcalling is not working. Like I said last week... while the "trickery" is nice and draw plays are working, we need to do less of it, and more of just ramming the ball down the throats of our opponents. Right now, the run game is good, but it's not opening up the passing game. We're not drawing 8 in the box. That's the damn problem. ...but that's also why draws are working. If that's the style of ball we're going to play then we do need to spend another $40+ Million on a big play threat at WR. But if we play the run right and literally enforce our will with our RBs, then our rush will open up the passing game (like most NFL offenses do) and nobody will be talking about our WR concerns.

Romo is a fine QB, but Jason Garrett is the one stiffling this offense.

As for the D.... well, Wade will not only lose his HC gig, but I'm not even sure he stays on as DC anymore, like I used to think.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:25 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
There's a lot of blah blah blah and panic in this thread.

Our WRs are fine. I've always been a believer that you don't need a great WR corps to win in the NFL. Ours is good enough. They just need to be used to their strengths... and right now they're not.

The biggest problem to me is our run game. Call me crazy. You think I am right now, huh. LOL. Listen to me more carefully. I'm not doggin' our OL or the RBs. Nope. Far from it. I think the playcalling is not working. Like I said last week... while the "trickery" is nice and draw plays are working, we need to do less of it, and more of just ramming the ball down the throats of our opponents. Right now, the run game is good, but it's not opening up the passing game. We're not drawing 8 in the box. That's the damn problem. ...but that's also why draws are working. If that's the style of ball we're going to play then we do need to spend another $40+ Million on a big play threat at WR. But if we play the run right and literally enforce our will with our RBs, then our rush will open up the passing game (like most NFL offenses do) and nobody will be talking about our WR concerns.

Romo is a fine QB, but Jason Garrett is the one stiffling this offense.

As for the D.... well, Wade will not only lose his HC gig, but I'm not even sure he stays on as DC anymore, like I used to think.
Time to trade our 1st, 3rd and 5th for Anquan Boldin and sign to him to a 15 year, 150 million dollar guaranteed contract.

We will then get our Mentally ******** GM on TV gushing over the "opportunity to acquire the premiere WR in the game" and how "we would never be able to draft and develop anyone soon enough for this team which is on the cusp of the SB." No mention he is a #2 WR on a over achieving team.

Time to panic? When Parcells ran off. When Meathead let Sparano and Haley go. When he allowed Ireland to leave.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there is on thing Randy Moss proved is when you have a real QB -- people's opinions of you change.

Roy Williams is like Randy in that sense. He has never played for a real QB or smart HC.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Buyers remorse?
More like sticker shock in reverse. It's kryptonite to most GMs in the cap era, but Jerry "Sky's the Limit!" Jones is impervious to it.

Remember when he traded 2 no. 1 picks to Seattle in 2000 for F-Peed Joey Galloway?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh. I'm still ok with what Jerry did with Roy. It takes a while for things to click if they don't naturally click from the very start. The more Roy and Tony play together the better they will perform. At least we know Roy goes across the middle, and sacrifices himself. We know he can break tackles. We know he's a good blocker. So far, he's put aside mouthing off incidences. I just think this is going to take time and that a lot of the posting here is based on impatience/hate. I can see some are starting to get sucked into believing the haters. Not that I'm trying to convince you to do otherwise, but really?

Simply put, our WRs are fine. Our RBs are fine. Our OL is fine.... and yes, our QB is fine. Our strategy is NOT fine. Draw plays don't open up the passing game. Yeah, our rushing clip is awesome, but it's being overabused and sooner or later, defenses will stop being fooled... if that already isn't the case. ...and I'm pretty sure is. I wonder if there's a whole bunch of Cowboys fans who love the draw to no end? They probably adore our RBs so much because of it. But I still stand here today saying that our offense is still too finesse even with gaudy rushing stats. Enough with the trickery. Time to enforce our will and ground and pound the ball. That will be the true test of our RBs and the first step to being a physical team. Until we start doing that, our passing game will be inept.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

D-Unit, blogging the boys had an analysis not too long ago about why the draw is used so much. Hint, they're not very good at straight ahead off-tackle running.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...ew-this-is-not

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There really is too much panic here. I'm pissed that the Cowboys are 2-2, but it's not like they haven't been competitive. You guys act like they got stomped against the Giants and Broncos, and they only got lucky against the Bucs and Panthers. Maybe there's a reason why the Giants and Broncos are 4-0 right now. They're hot teams, and the Cowboys played competitive games that they could've won against them. Being 2-2 early in the season isn't some death curse for the entire season. Teams aren't perfect, and they fix whatever kinks they have right now, so this is not how the team is going to look all season long. You can call me a homer, or whatever other ad hominem you can think of, but it's not outrageous to say that the team is not going to look like this all season. They could be better or worse, but 4 weeks won't determine everything that happens.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way Romo is telegraphing his throws, and how disguising coverages have tricked him thus far, I think having a WCO would actually do more harm than good.

Romo would get picked a lot in a WCO. You have to throw into tight windows and make quick decisions, throw accurately or have a huge arm to zip it between coverage.

Right now Romo is displaying none of that. The vertical game actually benefits his adlib style bc he can isolate coverages and throw it downfield where coverage is more simplistic opposed to throwing in traffic in the intermediate middle of the field like a WCO.

Plus, the WCO is only going to pack the box even more which will hinder your run game even more.

I do think Garrett needs to run the ball more though. But the scheme itself is fine.

You can in theory run a 2 TE WCO so he doesn't have to throw into such small windows, but realistically, that takes away almost all of your explosion downfield, and would make for a very methodical offense that would need long drives to score touchdowns. Thats fine and all, but it can be frustrating too.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
There really is too much panic here. I'm pissed that the Cowboys are 2-2, but it's not like they haven't been competitive. You guys act like they got stomped against the Giants and Broncos, and they only got lucky against the Bucs and Panthers. Maybe there's a reason why the Giants and Broncos are 4-0 right now. They're hot teams, and the Cowboys played competitive games that they could've won against them. Being 2-2 early in the season isn't some death curse for the entire season. Teams aren't perfect, and they fix whatever kinks they have right now, so this is not how the team is going to look all season long. You can call me a homer, or whatever other ad hominem you can think of, but it's not outrageous to say that the team is not going to look like this all season. They could be better or worse, but 4 weeks won't determine everything that happens.
The Cowboys are fine. Romo just has to play better, and I think he will. Its still anyone's division, and Im definitely not counting out the Cowboys just yet.

As long as the Cowboys stay healthy, they have a very good chance of winning this division.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
D-Unit, blogging the boys had an analysis not too long ago about why the draw is used so much. Hint, they're not very good at straight ahead off-tackle running.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/...ew-this-is-not
Well, I'm not gonna read that, but that's gotta be the lamest excuse why NOT to run it. We've got one of the biggest OL's in the NFL. If they're not able to run block, then they aren't being pushed hard enough. They are a strong prideful bunch. There is no reason to call a 3-4 yard rush a failure. You keep punching and punching until you break through. Barber and Felix might like to bounce it out, but Choice is definitely a hit the hole type of runner. We just gotta do it. We don't even do it enough to know that it doesn't work. Get Cowher in here. He'll show Garrett how it's done right.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The way Romo is telegraphing his throws, and how disguising coverages have tricked him thus far, I think having a WCO would actually do more harm than good.

Romo would get picked a lot in a WCO. You have to throw into tight windows and make quick decisions, throw accurately or have a huge arm to zip it between coverage.

Right now Romo is displaying none of that. The vertical game actually benefits his adlib style bc he can isolate coverages and throw it downfield where coverage is more simplistic opposed to throwing in traffic in the intermediate middle of the field like a WCO.

Plus, the WCO is only going to pack the box even more which will hinder your run game even more.

I do think Garrett needs to run the ball more though. But the scheme itself is fine.

You can in theory run a 2 TE WCO so he doesn't have to throw into such small windows, but realistically, that takes away almost all of your explosion downfield, and would make for a very methodical offense that would need long drives to score touchdowns. Thats fine and all, but it can be frustrating too.
Nice flipside of the coin thoughts. I agree that the WCO can be a frustrating one. Good points on Romo, though I think his arm strength is markedly improved though. It might be at the cost of losing some of his acuracy though, because so far this year, that looks off.

But Romo in Shanny's version of the WCO would thrive, imo. Shanny uses a lot of boot legs and his WCO has vertical tendencies.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, I'm not gonna read that, but that's gotta be the lamest excuse why NOT to run it. We've got one of the biggest OL's in the NFL. If they're not able to run block, then they aren't being pushed hard enough. They are a strong prideful bunch. There is no reason to call a 3-4 yard rush a failure. You keep punching and punching until you break through. Barber and Felix might like to bounce it out, but Choice is definitely a hit the hole type of runner. We just gotta do it. We don't even do it enough to know that it doesn't work. Get Cowher in here. He'll show Garrett how it's done right.
Well, it's your choice to not read it. You may not agree with what is being done, but the numbers don't lie. And it's not exactly a small sample size.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-06-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Well, it's your choice to not read it. You may not agree with what is being done, but the numbers don't lie. And it's not exactly a small sample size.
If the numbers say that they can't run the ball outside of any draw, then they're simply not doing it right or not being coached how to do it right. It's all about assignment and even our TEs know how to block, so something's not right... it ain't for lack of talent/ability.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If the numbers say that they can't run the ball outside of any draw, then they're simply not doing it right or not being coached how to do it right. It's all about assignment and even our TEs know how to block, so something's not right... it ain't for lack of talent/ability.
Well, I certainly agree that something ain't right.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Run blocking just takes practice. the more you practice it, the better you get at it. practice and commitment, thats all it is.

if that oline is doing a bad job run blocking, I blame the coaching staff for not drilling it in their heads. theres no reason why this team should have poor run blocking.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
But Romo in Shanny's version of the WCO would thrive, imo. Shanny uses a lot of boot legs and his WCO has vertical tendencies.
You might have something there, especially if we remember how Shanahan utilized Plummer's mobility. I think there's a lot of similarities between Plummer and Romo (good and bad).
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Shanny is a perfect fit for you guys schematically, but Im not sure how that oline fits in a ZBS.

A lot of Denver fans didn't have a lot of very nice things to say about him either, saying his talent evaluation was shadey, and his defenses were terrible.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Shanny is a perfect fit for you guys schematically, but Im not sure how that oline fits in a ZBS.

A lot of Denver fans didn't have a lot of very nice things to say about him either, saying his talent evaluation was shadey, and his defenses were terrible.
That's why I haven't been going too gaga over Shanny. Yeah he's been a good coach, and I wouldn't be upset if he was the next coach. There's some inconsistency with some of their drafts. I'd rather have Cowher or Fisher(wishful thinking) than Shanahan.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Shanahan won't have final say on anything related to the roster in Dallas. That's why he's a good fit IMO. He's a better schemer/game day guy than evaluator. You're right though about the OL. A lot of money invested there in the beef.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
That's why I haven't been going too gaga over Shanny. Yeah he's been a good coach, and I wouldn't be upset if he was the next coach. There's some inconsistency with some of their drafts. I'd rather have Cowher or Fisher(wishful thinking) than Shanahan.
Cowher is very wishful thinking too. I keep hearing that he wants the Carolina job. Tennessee would be idiotic to can Fisher even if they go 0-16.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Well anything at this point is wishful thinking, so I'm doing a little dreaming with the next head coach. At this point I'm only sure of one thing, and that's Wade not being the head coach in 2010.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're right, Shanahan is NOT a perfect fit in Dallas. I too would prefer the other 2 vs. him as a new HC, but people in hell want ice water too. No way Bud Adams lets Fisher go.

Dallas simply doesn't have the right personnel for a WCO -- running the WCO without the right players = round peg in the square hole by definition.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
You're right, Shanahan is NOT a perfect fit in Dallas. I too would prefer the other 2 vs. him as a new HC, but people in hell want ice water too. No way Bud Adams lets Fisher go.

Dallas simply doesn't have the right personnel for a WCO -- running the WCO without the right players = round peg in the square hole by definition.
I just wanna say... Jerry didn't care about that when hired his last 2 time SB winning HC in Bill Parcells.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I just wanna say... Jerry didn't care about that when hired his last 2 time SB winning HC in Bill Parcells.
True.

And what really are WCO players? I've read people that think Romo would be a great WCO QB and some say no. Same with the WR corp....I'm not sure what to think.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 10-07-2009, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Don't know if you guys listened to Brian Broaudus on ESPN yesterday. Interesting comments.

He did say that Romo was obviously off target on a few throws. However, he stressed the point very firmly that outside of those few obvious bad throws, there was very little seperation by the WRs. He gave a lot of credit to Denver.

He also said that he thought that the sacks were primarily due to coverage than breakdowns by the OL. There just wasn't anyone open.

-Douglas MacArthur