Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-21-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=4761642

Colombo and Bennett have both been cleared to practice.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great conversation about Free and OL! I likey, likey.

My take is this... Doug Free has proven to me that he is the perfect candidate to be our permanent swing tackle. I NOW know that he is capable of stepping in in case a starter goes down and can be relied upon. I know that he hasn't taken reps at LT, but I've seen enough to take an educated guess that he can do it. To me, his best trait is staying in front of his attacker. That doesn't mean he doesn't get pushed back though. It just means he does an adequate job of sealing his guy off from touching Romo. He is good at mirroring the feet of his attacker, using his arms to keep the guy at bay and has shown good balance to stay on his feet and not get flopped around by more powerful guys. I think his upper body strength combined with good knee bend allows him able to do that well.

Where he needs to improve is the short run game. Someone mentioned it before, but on those WR screens, Free does get to his assignment quick and moves well on the second level. But you guys are right. His power is lacking in his base. In short yardage situations, Free gets NO PUSH. He doesn't have the leg drive. Combine that with bad technique...He doesn't use leverage correctly. He doesn't get low enough. Defenders get underneath him and Free gets stood up. Wade specifically blamed the OL on that goalline stand that San Diego had in defending Garrett's decision to run the ball in that series. That's one example. They tried to go the right and we all know the result.

I think it has been a blessing that Columbo went down. As it finally allowed us to see what we have in Free. Is he a future LT? RT? Those questions are still unknown. He is ready to be a starter. He has to make more strides to be better, and he can be better, but he is just an average starting tackle as is.

What I DO know is that Flozell Adams HAS TO be gone. He is pathetic. He does more harm than good. He's a drive killer. He's undisciplined. The reason why is because his game is eroded. He's lazy and he resorts to bad tricks. His incompentency has caused Jason Garrett to tone down the offense. In order to avoid false starts, Garrett has reduced the amount of presnap movements. You'd think it wouldn't affect OL as much as it would the guys in motion, but nope. Flo gets tricked out of his own shoes with his impatience and lack of discipline. It's time to let go of the Flo. Doug Free would do a better job than him.

LT isn't the #1 need for this team, but if Mays and Thomas are both off the board, then we should look at the LT prospects out there like Charles Brown, Bryan Bulaga and Bruce Campbell.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:28 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.
Default Mays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Great conversation about Free and OL! I likey, likey.

My take is this... Doug Free has proven to me that he is the perfect candidate to be our permanent swing tackle. I NOW know that he is capable of stepping in in case a starter goes down and can be relied upon. I know that he hasn't taken reps at LT, but I've seen enough to take an educated guess that he can do it. To me, his best trait is staying in front of his attacker. That doesn't mean he doesn't get pushed back though. It just means he does an adequate job of sealing his guy off from touching Romo. He is good at mirroring the feet of his attacker, using his arms to keep the guy at bay and has shown good balance to stay on his feet and not get flopped around by more powerful guys. I think his upper body strength combined with good knee bend allows him able to do that well.

Where he needs to improve is the short run game. Someone mentioned it before, but on those WR screens, Free does get to his assignment quick and moves well on the second level. But you guys are right. His power is lacking in his base. In short yardage situations, Free gets NO PUSH. He doesn't have the leg drive. Combine that with bad technique...He doesn't use leverage correctly. He doesn't get low enough. Defenders get underneath him and Free gets stood up. Wade specifically blamed the OL on that goalline stand that San Diego had in defending Garrett's decision to run the ball in that series. That's one example. They tried to go the right and we all know the result.

I think it has been a blessing that Columbo went down. As it finally allowed us to see what we have in Free. Is he a future LT? RT? Those questions are still unknown. He is ready to be a starter. He has to make more strides to be better, and he can be better, but he is just an average starting tackle as is.

What I DO know is that Flozell Adams HAS TO be gone. He is pathetic. He does more harm than good. He's a drive killer. He's undisciplined. The reason why is because his game is eroded. He's lazy and he resorts to bad tricks. His incompentency has caused Jason Garrett to tone down the offense. In order to avoid false starts, Garrett has reduced the amount of presnap movements. You'd think it wouldn't affect OL as much as it would the guys in motion, but nope. Flo gets tricked out of his own shoes with his impatience and lack of discipline. It's time to let go of the Flo. Doug Free would do a better job than him.

LT isn't the #1 need for this team, but if Mays and Thomas are both off the board, then we should look at the LT prospects out there like Charles Brown, Bryan Bulaga and Bruce Campbell.
Why would you want Mays. He is the same safety as SS Roy Williams. We really need to draft OL and DL......I heard a quote from a GM a few years back....He said drafting OL and DL is like getting your oil changed.....It is not the most fun you can have with your car, but it is necessary. We really need to address depth on both Lines.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricowboy View Post
Why would you want Mays. He is the same safety as SS Roy Williams. We really need to draft OL and DL......I heard a quote from a GM a few years back....He said drafting OL and DL is like getting your oil changed.....It is not the most fun you can have with your car, but it is necessary. We really need to address depth on both Lines.
I'm not blind to the fact that he gets bashed for not coming up with more INTs, but the guy is a shutdown deep safety and he flies all over the field making plays. His range is near tops in all of college football. Vast majority have overblown his lack of INTs for meaning he is a bad cover safety or is the next "Roy Williams". I've seen enough from him through his career to know that he's going to be a great NFL player. I'm fine with being the minority in my view of him. Never been much of a follower.

I agree depth on both lines is necessary, but I don't agree that the 1st rounder MUST be spent there.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Suisham has been signed to kick against the Redskins on Sunday
Old 12-21-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep, Folk was released.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Yep, Folk was released.
About time. I knew he was off from Week 2 when he cost us the G-Men game. Did not realise how bad till Green Bay.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BX View Post
Suisham has been signed to kick against the Redskins on Sunday
One evil replaced by another.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:35 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
One evil replaced by another.
To be fair, there was really no where we could go. Our next best option was an injured Jason Elam. Let's just hope that Suisham can make mid range FGs Folk has been butchering. Too many points have been left on the field thanks to Folk, there's no question he had to go.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ehhh, I don't get it. Suisham just missed, what, a 25 yd FG that cost them the Saints game? So were going to cut Folk who did the same thing, for a guy who just did that a few weeks earlier.

I would be willing to take anyone over him, he was just missing chip shots recently. We had to do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:41 PM    (permalink
BX
Veteran

BX hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

So, I guess kicker is once again a priority. I think in free agency. I can't see us drafting ANOTHER kicker next year.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Ehhh, I don't get it. Suisham just missed, what, a 25 yd FG that cost them the Saints game? So were going to cut Folk who did the same thing, for a guy who just did that a few weeks earlier.

I would be willing to take anyone over him, he was just missing chip shots recently. We had to do better.
Who else was available? Even with those missed chip shots he was 18/21.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:46 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suisham. bleh. But as was said nothing is out there. Suisham was money before a few weeks ago. This really shows you how highly we think about Buehler's prospects as out place kicker. :/

Oh and I just tuned into the Giants/Skins game...24-0? Thanks for the help Washington.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.

Quote:
I'm not blind to the fact that he gets bashed for not coming up with more INTs, but the guy is a shutdown deep safety and he flies all over the field making plays. His range is near tops in all of college football. Vast majority have overblown his lack of INTs for meaning he is a bad cover safety or is the next "Roy Williams". I've seen enough from him through his career to know that he's going to be a great NFL player. I'm fine with being the minority in my view of him. Never been much of a follower.

I agree depth on both lines is necessary, but I don't agree that the 1st rounder MUST be spent there.
I am not a follower either. You have a great point on your player. He is the classic boom or bust player. I too have watched Mays and think he maybe very overrated due to the fact he plays for such a good program. I think we would be better served grabbing an OL or DL that can add depth or start. Dan Williams or Terrance Cody would improve this team instantly. Ratliff could see more reps at DE. That would mean more sacks and pressure on the QB. The result is a better Pass D. Any OL that could push our backups and start in a year would be great. Face it the OL is not getting any younger. At some point we have to commit a high pick to the OL or DL.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just to get in on the Free talk.

I was probably the biggest advocate of Free coming out. And I've seen some things that I think I should clarify.

Free was a dominant run blocker in college MOTH we all knew he was athletic but go back and read the scouting reports...Free EXCELLED in run blocking. And was a mirror tackle coming out. Those were my reports I have a post somewhere on these boards hyping him.

And although I'm moderately surprised he hasn't gotten stronger since college at the same time I'm not. This guy was a freak in the weight room when we drafted him. So it's not like he was magically gonna add a bunch because of a better diet. Free came out as a prospect with a good floor. But his body was maxed out really. His inability to add strength shouldn't be that much of a head scratcher.

Seeing him in live regular season games has been great...I think it's safe to say he is nothing more than a average NFL starter and is a great swing tackle. We still have to find an upgrade this offseason imo.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricowboy View Post
I am not a follower either. You have a great point on your player. He is the classic boom or bust player. I too have watched Mays and think he maybe very overrated due to the fact he plays for such a good program. I think we would be better served grabbing an OL or DL that can add depth or start. Dan Williams or Terrance Cody would improve this team instantly. Ratliff could see more reps at DE. That would mean more sacks and pressure on the QB. The result is a better Pass D. Any OL that could push our backups and start in a year would be great. Face it the OL is not getting any younger. At some point we have to commit a high pick to the OL or DL.
I dunno if I buy the "overrated because of the program"... I mean if that were the case, then why aren't all of the USC players overrated? The defense wasn't even good this year... compared to previous years (that is).

I would also take Earl Thomas over a LT or NT.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone who spends a draft pick on a kicker is an idiot.

Kicker's are available UDFA or FA by the dozens. You invite 10 to camp and you bake it off by finding the best one.

Every year a "reliable kicker" goes bad and a "unreliable one" goes positive.

It is the most unpredictable spot on the roster.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:46 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
Anyone who spends a draft pick on a kicker is an idiot.

Kicker's are available UDFA or FA by the dozens. You invite 10 to camp and you bake it off by finding the best one.

Every year a "reliable kicker" goes bad and a "unreliable one" goes positive.

It is the most unpredictable spot on the roster.
^^^no truer words have been spoken

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
^^^no truer words have been spoken
If I was a GM I would keep an active Rolodex of Kickers sitting at home and 30 year old CB looking for some late season work. There are always a few good ones you can steal a few games with.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Depending on how good the kicker is, I'd definitely use a pick on one. Folk was worth it. Being injured derailed him, but I would draft another with a late rounder IF he's good. This year's class looks terribly weak. I probably wouldn't want to draft any of them.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you guys let go one horrible kicker for another? lol.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:41 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
So you guys let go one horrible kicker for another? lol.
It's was mainly to get the inside scoop on the Redskins... lol jk. After watching them tonight, it looks like Washington is crappy crap crap. They have a short week to prep for us and we have a long week to prepare for them. Should be a walk in the park.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It better be a walk in the park, that game yesterday was pretty pathetic. We really need to win these last two.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
It better be a walk in the park, that game yesterday was pretty pathetic. We really need to win these last two.
I think the Skins have finally been broken down mentally and physically. There was no way they were going to maintain that level of play through the rest of the season. They always play us tough, so I still expect a big fight out of them.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So guys, what do yall think of our offensive performance without Bennett on the field? It really doesn't look like our offense is slowing down any at all with him not being there. I really love the guy, but we have an all pro at te and wouldn't mind if we could get a 2nd round pick for him. I would love to have 3 picks in the top 60.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote