Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really really hope Garrett gets hired somewhere as a HC. I want him GONE.

He doesn't know what to do in pressure situations. He panics. He doesn't make adjustments. Where were the 3 step drops? HB Screens? WR Screens? Conversely... where were the deep shots? We never stretched the field or even tried to stretch the field. Totally pathetic playcalling performance. Plus... another thing that irks me... he never tries a trick play... like ... ever. Sean Payton did while he was here... and we saw his flea flicker yesterday that was a beauty TD.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:09 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Jerry likes to talk about making the offense more Romo friendly. Getting rid of TO was a good start (even tho it happened one year too late) but now to really make it Romo friendly he's got to improve the pass protection whether it be through the draft or free agency. When Antonio has time and a clean pocket he's usually very good.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry will sit down with Wade and ask what needs to happen. Wade will say our inability to make adjustments on the offensive side of the ball over the course of the game is why we didn't win in Minnesota. Jerry will tell him thanks and evaluate.

Think about it. Jerry can save money. Get security at the oc position for the future. I think Dan Reeves would be a great idea. Great. Chemistry guy who knows offenses and how to adjust. He's been broadcasting cowboys games at our home games and almost was brought on last year. He knows our team and players. Our strengths and weaknesses. And if I remember right his offense was pretty similar to what we had this year.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Jerry will sit down with Wade and ask what needs to happen. Wade will say our inability to make adjustments on the offensive side of the ball over the course of the game is why we didn't win in Minnesota. Jerry will tell him thanks and evaluate.

Think about it. Jerry can save money. Get security at the oc position for the future. I think Dan Reeves would be a great idea. Great. Chemistry guy who knows offenses and how to adjust. He's been broadcasting cowboys games at our home games and almost was brought on last year. He knows our team and players. Our strengths and weaknesses. And if I remember right his offense was pretty similar to what we had this year.
I am on board with Reeves myself.

Too bad Red is wayyyyyy over paid. Be nice if he actually apprenticed as QB Coach for a few years.
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys.

You didn't lose bc of Jason Garrett.

You didn't lose bc of Tony Romo

You didn't lose bc of Wade Phillips.

You lost bc your oline got the **** kicked out of it. Thats why. You never had a chance to win that game with the way the oline played. Nothing you draw up will work when your oline plays like that. Nothing Romo or Garrett could do about that.

And Wade's defense actually did a good job for most of the game until the game was already decided, so its not Wade's fault either.

Having that said, I really hope you guys extend Wade Phillips.

But congrats on a good season. You got the monkey off your back, thats a big step moving forward.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Guys.

You lost bc your oline got the **** kicked out of it. Thats why. You never had a chance to win that game with the way the oline played. Nothing you draw up will work when your oline plays like that. Nothing Romo or Garrett could do about that.

And Wade's defense actually did a good job for most of the game until the game was already decided, so its not Wade's fault either.

But congrats on a good season. You got the monkey off your back, thats a big step moving forward.
So JG and the QB had nothing to do with 3 points?

I think the Vikings Safeties had tea and cookies yesterday between 1:00 and 3.40pm.

If anyone saw the Bears game, anyone with two brains cells saw clearly the Vikes can not cover passes in the seams over the LB. Their LB are horrid in coverage. I did not see ONE pass in that part of the field. All I saw where drag routes 5 yards out. Everything outside the hash marks.

Eventually the Vikes Safeties played most 2nd/3rd/4th Q 10 yards off the LOS daring someone/anyone to go deep. That never happened either. It was a passive, faghut game plan by a Princeton Yak who thinks he is smarter than he is.

I agree it is a simple game at times but not that simple. JG misses testosterone and places way too much in "out executing" his adversary on each damn play.

Last edited by herniateddisc : 01-18-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:43 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Guys.

Well said, I was going to wait until the overreaction subsided before posting, but I'm hearing all types of reasons we lost, but it comes down to the trenches. Same reason we lost to the Giants in '07. Only unit on the team without any substantial changeover.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:45 AM    (permalink
ricowboy
Rookie

ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.ricowboy is a cocksman.
Default Big Blue

Thanks for the hot tip on why we lost Big Blue. As good as you know your team, we know our team. Our OL sucked period, but Garrett can call a better game to slow down the rush. He did not adjust to the Vikes defensive adjustments. We marched down the field on the 1st few possessions. The Vikes decided to call DL stunts and blitz to disrupt the timing of our O. Garrett never adjusted his play calling to what the Vikes were doing. Garrett called a great games down the stretch. Plain and simple Garrett was out coached by the Vike D-Coordinator. Our D could only hold up for so long with such an inept O.
ricowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD...so down by 14 points in the second half you can't go to 3TE sets to take advantage of their linebackers? You can't run 3 TE sets and run 2 man routes? We didn't do any of that...we went with the spread them out attack all god damn game. Because on paper that is where we should win that game.

HOWEVER you could see that Garrett underrated their or overrated our OL. Because on paper we should have been able to block them with some chipping and running away from the beef. Letting JA get upfield and attack the C gaps. All this makes perfect sense to a pompus educated ivy league coach. But you have to be able to adjust. You have to realize that your OL is either having a bad day or is overmatched.

Or how about some of the player mental lapses. Jason ******* Witten. Free and witten had a double on the edge...with JA lined up at 7-tech Free helped down on Kevin and then popped back to stop the inside rush. WTF is witten doing....he knows he has inside help...but yet still gets beat to the outside? We aren't talking about a guy shading his outside shoulder...we are talking about a guy lined up on his face. This falls on the players...but this is ******* day one **** in the NFL....this also point to coaching and execution. I'm just not sold that Garrett is the right guy.

Sure he is a bright mind. Sure he understands the game of NFL...and noone can argue that he hasn't shown signs of improvement. However! This is a potential super bowl contender team...and when you have mental lapses and stupid things happening you have to be held accountable.

No ******* reason not to give Felix Jones touches when your getting beat and need a spark in Washington. No ******* reason.

No ******* reason to abandon the run in Green Bay. When the GM in the box realizes how stupid you are it's pretty obvious.

I'm sorry but the Jason Garrett backing by the Giants fans is sickening. He is a bright mind we all know...but he cost us 2-3 games this year by being an arrogant asshole. He doesn't meld well with Phillips style of coaching..and it also leads to problems with
A) Wade being able to voice what needs to happen during the course of the game. Sure Wade isn't known for his offensive mind...but Wade had a heavy hand in the offensive gameplan 2 years ago when we played in detroit. We ran heavy sweeps...because Bum came out earlier in the week and called the offensive gameplan out.
B) If you're a offensive player...you probably respect Wade...but it's Garrett you report to. This just doesn't make a team cohesive.

I look at this to be very similar to last year. TO split the locker room in 2008...and 2009 Garrett split the team beliefs.

Just think about this.

Wade Phillips whole beliefs is being able to play players to their strengths and hide their weaknesses.

Garrett believes if you execute every play the results will speak for themselves. I'm sorry but those contradict eachother and whether the media notices it or not you can see it on the field.

Give Wade a chance to finally bring in a guy who he likes...who wasn't here before him..and then lets really judge him. I love Wade. Garrett just doesn't fit the Wade Phillips mold of coaching and thats fine...but you can't have both...that doesn't win in the NFL.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with BBD. JG did try to make adjustments. If your starting LT gets hurt and your RT is coming off a broken leg and ligament damage which affects his ability to get off the snap quick, it doesn't matter what the OC does. Columbo was just getting whipped. And when the tackles did okay, we had breakdowns on the interior.

Frankly, I think this is one of those situations where they had a matchup advantage over us like we did Philly. Our OL is on the slow side so they don't get off the ball quick and when you factor in the crowd noise and getting behind and having to throw, it was a bit of a perfect storm.

-Douglas MacArthur

Last edited by Macarthur : 01-18-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
I think the Vikings Safeties had tea and cookies yesterday between 1:00 and 3.40pm.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE that Bob!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Just think about this.

Wade Phillips whole beliefs is being able to play players to their strengths and hide their weaknesses.

Garrett believes if you execute every play the results will speak for themselves. I'm sorry but those contradict eachother and whether the media notices it or not you can see it on the field.
A little drop of golden sunshine right there. Nice nugget thule.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I LOVE that Bob!!!
Seriously, I don't even remember a Viking secondary player making a play.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:10 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If there isn't a safety in the draft for us, how does Bob Sanders look? You think the colts will part ways? He has been hurt for them and they are winning without him. Maybe we could throw in Barber and a pick and get him?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
If there isn't a safety in the draft for us, how does Bob Sanders look? You think the colts will part ways? He has been hurt for them and they are winning without him. Maybe we could throw in Barber and a pick and get him?
former defensive player of the year is going to be moved because he's been hurt? And trading a washed up RB to a team with 2 good RBs....please rethink that statement. This isn't madden.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

Quote:
former defensive player of the year is going to be moved because he's been hurt? And trading a washed up RB to a team with 2 good RBs....please rethink that statement. This isn't madden.
I didn't really know their rb's were good. Maybe Donald Brown. But Sanders hasn't played in almost two years. I guess I should go to the Colts board and see how high they are on Sanders still.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
I didn't really know their rb's were good. Maybe Donald Brown. But Sanders hasn't played in almost two years. I guess I should go to the Colts board and see how high they are on Sanders still.
And he just got a new deal if I'm not mistaken.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

Quote:
And he just got a new deal if I'm not mistaken.
Ah, yeah it was a longshot even if it was possible. I was just talking to some friends about what they would like to happen and one of them mentioned Bob Sanders. I would definitely be down for that, but there are so many scenarios that are possible before that one.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Guys.

This is all true, but it misses the heart of what cost us the game. Our team dominated the game in the early going. We moved the ball at will, we forced a 3-and-out on the first defensive possession, and we generally did whatever we wanted. Our first two drives were killed by stupid, ******* ridiculous mental errors. The first one came on 2nd and 10 from the Vikings 30 yard line. The Vikings called a stunt inside, running Ray Edwards into the right A-gap. Leonard Davis, instead of making contact with the guard lined up over him and continuing to read the action of the rest of the defenders, put his head down, leaned out and over committed to the DT who was now rushing the C gap on the outside of OT Marc Colombo. Off-balance and out of position, Davis was not able to pick up the crashing Edwards who blew Felix up 4 yards behind the line on the delayed draw. Looking at the play closely, every other block was executed perfectly and Felix would have ripped off a nice gain, either gaining the 1st or setting the offense up in the 3rd and short. Instead Dallas was left in 3rd and 14 from the 34. This is death to an offense, especially against a team with pass rushers like Minny has. This play set up a compromising down and distance, which led to the next mental mistake. Romo dropped back, couldn't find and an open man and felt compelled to get 3 or 4 yards running the ball to allow a more makeable FG rather than eating the ball and being forced to punt, while attempting to scramble he was hit and had not secured the ball as he had done so well all season long. Turnover.

A 3rd mental mistake occurred on the next drive. 2nd and 5 from the 35, Dallas has been moving the ball without resistance, running and passing with equal success. Dallas calls a sweep right, early in the play it looks to be well blocked, with no "blow up" type penetration from the defense and excellent angles across the board for our blockers. Romo, coming back from center, simply drops the ball. Good snap, good blocking, good everything. Romo just drops it. Dallas is able to recover, but only after losing the down, the yardage and whatever gain we would have made with the successful blocking. Now facing 3rd and long, Dallas comes up one yard short on a pass to Miles Austin. The Romo fumble is the difference between 1st and 10 inside the 30 and facing 4th and one from the 31.

The next mental error occurs on the next play. With all sorts of forward momentum, an offense that has been unstoppable up to this point, a running game that has shown early signs of establishing dominance on the edges and a kicking game that has been unreliable ALL SEASON LONG, this should be an easy call. 4th and 1, go get it and lets get some points. Instead Wade decides to go for the kick. This sequence of events plays out exactly the same as if the fumble had been recovered by Minnesota instead, leaving Minny with the ball on the 38 yard line. This is a turnover in essence.

Here we are, almost a full quarter into the game, and Dallas has dominated thoroughly, but instead has no points to show for all of that.

Next one comes 4 plays into the next drive. 2nd and 6 from the 46, Dallas is playing single safety deep, Sensabaugh has the deep coverage. Rice is going up the sideline. You're playing against Brett Favre. Anytime Brett has single coverage down the field against one of his best guys, he's going to put the ball in the air. Right? Sensabaugh makes the play, gets over to Rice in perfect position to intercept or at least deflect the ball. Instead, a weird sequence unfolds with Sensabaugh slowing up and looking as if he is in the Friday walk through as the ball comes RIGHT. DOWN. OVER. HIS. SHOULDER. and into the arms of Rice who takes the next two steps into the end zone, with Sensabaugh jogging into the end zone, NOT EVEN KNOWING THAT THE VIKINGS HAVE SCORED. One of the most bizarre plays in team history. Had Sensabaugh used the cues of the play and been aware of what the **** was going on around him, its either incomplete or intercepted. He's made that play all year long. Instead, its a 7-0 lead.

The final mental error--and some will dispute this as just lack of execution or a "hey, what can you do" type of moment, but I consider it 100% lack of judgement and thus a mental error--came on 1st and goal from the Vikings 9 yard line. Cowboys have just posted their THIRD CONSECUTIVE LONG DRIVE. The Vikings could not stop them. Now they stand in perfect position to tie the game up and avoid having to play from behind. A TD is imperative. Instead, they take the field in the Razorback. A formation that hasn't worked well all season. A power funning formation against the best power-running D in the entire league, in a down and distance that demands some sort of ingenuity. Instead, it gets stuffed for no real gain and Dallas is now left in a definite pass situation with 2nd and goal from the 8. This is the first play where the pass rush actually impacted the game, as Colombo gets beat handily around the edge for a Romo sack and Dallas is left in an impossible 3rd and goal from the 15. FG, game over.

Dallas was playing well enough to be up 21-0 early in the game. Key, unforced errors in key positions combined to derail each of those three drives. Romo wasn't getting pressured early in the game, and was able to find underneath passes. But when the other team gets out in a track meet and forces you to play from behind, that changes the game. The opposing pass rushers can now play the run on the way to the QB, and your running game is more of an annoyance than a real threat. The fact that our D came out on the next series and allowed the only real, true, died-in-the-wool long TD drive of the game of the game was a real back-breaker. Interesting that the key TD play was also a product of a mental mistake, as a Favre pump-fake on a nake bootleg was met with a ridiculous leap in the air by Marcus Spears--rather than the old school, follow-the-belt-buckle approach that every pass rusher is taught from birth--which allowed the old QB the room to get the pass off and score the TD.

At that point, the pass rush took over and what BBD says was right. From that point in the game, our inability to protect our QB was never going to allow us to get back in it. The only chance we had was to force TOs of our own on D, and that has been a continual weakness of this team.

It was just a microcosm of our year and the entire tenure of Wade Phillips. Key, stupid mistakes at the worst time, putting us in the hole and killing our chances to win. We had to get up early to win this game. We were clearly ready to do so, and clearly GOOD ENOUGH to do so, but one mental mistake after another killed us.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
This is all true, but it misses the heart of what cost us the game. Our team dominated the game in the early going. We moved the ball at will, we forced a 3-and-out on the first defensive possession, and we generally did whatever we wanted. Our first two drives were killed by stupid, ******* ridiculous mental errors. The first one came on 2nd and 10 from the Vikings 30 yard line. The Vikings called a stunt inside, running Ray Edwards into the right A-gap. Leonard Davis, instead of making contact with the guard lined up over him and continuing to read the action of the rest of the defenders, put his head down, leaned out and over committed to the DT who was now rushing the C gap on the outside of OT Marc Colombo. Off-balance and out of position, Davis was not able to pick up the crashing Edwards who blew Felix up 4 yards behind the line on the delayed draw. Looking at the play closely, every other block was executed perfectly and Felix would have ripped off a nice gain, either gaining the 1st or setting the offense up in the 3rd and short. Instead Dallas was left in 3rd and 14 from the 34. This is death to an offense, especially against a team with pass rushers like Minny has. This play set up a compromising down and distance, which led to the next mental mistake. Romo dropped back, couldn't find and an open man and felt compelled to get 3 or 4 yards running the ball to allow a more makeable FG rather than eating the ball and being forced to punt, while attempting to scramble he was hit and had not secured the ball as he had done so well all season long. Turnover.

A 3rd mental mistake occurred on the next drive. 2nd and 5 from the 35, Dallas has been moving the ball without resistance, running and passing with equal success. Dallas calls a sweep right, early in the play it looks to be well blocked, with no "blow up" type penetration from the defense and excellent angles across the board for our blockers. Romo, coming back from center, simply drops the ball. Good snap, good blocking, good everything. Romo just drops it. Dallas is able to recover, but only after losing the down, the yardage and whatever gain we would have made with the successful blocking. Now facing 3rd and long, Dallas comes up one yard short on a pass to Miles Austin. The Romo fumble is the difference between 1st and 10 inside the 30 and facing 4th and one from the 31.

The next mental error occurs on the next play. With all sorts of forward momentum, an offense that has been unstoppable up to this point, a running game that has shown early signs of establishing dominance on the edges and a kicking game that has been unreliable ALL SEASON LONG, this should be an easy call. 4th and 1, go get it and lets get some points. Instead Wade decides to go for the kick. This sequence of events plays out exactly the same as if the fumble had been recovered by Minnesota instead, leaving Minny with the ball on the 38 yard line. This is a turnover in essence.

Here we are, almost a full quarter into the game, and Dallas has dominated thoroughly, but instead has no points to show for all of that.

Next one comes 4 plays into the next drive. 2nd and 6 from the 46, Dallas is playing single safety deep, Sensabaugh has the deep coverage. Rice is going up the sideline. You're playing against Brett Favre. Anytime Brett has single coverage down the field against one of his best guys, he's going to put the ball in the air. Right? Sensabaugh makes the play, gets over to Rice in perfect position to intercept or at least deflect the ball. Instead, a weird sequence unfolds with Sensabaugh slowing up and looking as if he is in the Friday walk through as the ball comes RIGHT. DOWN. OVER. HIS. SHOULDER. and into the arms of Rice who takes the next two steps into the end zone, with Sensabaugh jogging into the end zone, NOT EVEN KNOWING THAT THE VIKINGS HAVE SCORED. One of the most bizarre plays in team history. Had Sensabaugh used the cues of the play and been aware of what the **** was going on around him, its either incomplete or intercepted. He's made that play all year long. Instead, its a 7-0 lead.

The final mental error--and some will dispute this as just lack of execution or a "hey, what can you do" type of moment, but I consider it 100% lack of judgement and thus a mental error--came on 1st and goal from the Vikings 9 yard line. Cowboys have just posted their THIRD CONSECUTIVE LONG DRIVE. The Vikings could not stop them. Now they stand in perfect position to tie the game up and avoid having to play from behind. A TD is imperative. Instead, they take the field in the Razorback. A formation that hasn't worked well all season. A power funning formation against the best power-running D in the entire league, in a down and distance that demands some sort of ingenuity. Instead, it gets stuffed for no real gain and Dallas is now left in a definite pass situation with 2nd and goal from the 8. This is the first play where the pass rush actually impacted the game, as Colombo gets beat handily around the edge for a Romo sack and Dallas is left in an impossible 3rd and goal from the 15. FG, game over.

Dallas was playing well enough to be up 21-0 early in the game. Key, unforced errors in key positions combined to derail each of those three drives. Romo wasn't getting pressured early in the game, and was able to find underneath passes. But when the other team gets out in a track meet and forces you to play from behind, that changes the game. The opposing pass rushers can now play the run on the way to the QB, and your running game is more of an annoyance than a real threat. The fact that our D came out on the next series and allowed the only real, true, died-in-the-wool long TD drive of the game of the game was a real back-breaker. Interesting that the key TD play was also a product of a mental mistake, as a Favre pump-fake on a nake bootleg was met with a ridiculous leap in the air by Marcus Spears--rather than the old school, follow-the-belt-buckle approach that every pass rusher is taught from birth--which allowed the old QB the room to get the pass off and score the TD.

At that point, the pass rush took over and what BBD says was right. From that point in the game, our inability to protect our QB was never going to allow us to get back in it. The only chance we had was to force TOs of our own on D, and that has been a continual weakness of this team.

It was just a microcosm of our year and the entire tenure of Wade Phillips. Key, stupid mistakes at the worst time, putting us in the hole and killing our chances to win. We had to get up early to win this game. We were clearly ready to do so, and clearly GOOD ENOUGH to do so, but one mental mistake after another killed us.
Precisely. Good write up.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Also don't forget that newman should jam that wr to allow sensy to get into position better. Another stupid mental lapse that should never happen. I'm not positive that Newman knew he should jam..but it's pretty conventional to jam a WR when you are playing under coverage to allow your over the top help to have time...and also to disrupt the timing so QBs like Farve can't eat that hole up inbetween the cb and s

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-18-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Losing Flo in the 2nd quarter was a devastating blow obviously and anybody that says otherwise like Jared Allen is an idiot. It is not a coincidence that his first sack came after Flo went out. I think I seriously could have played RT better than Marc Colombo yesterday. We need to make major upgrades to almost every position on the offensive line and secondary. Garrett didn't really help Tony or the line tho with his formations and play calls. Ultimately tho the players just have to be able to man up and block them.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem is that we will have restrictions on how many free agents we can sign. We can't just go out and sign a bunch of guys. I think it's an overreaction to think we should or even can make "major upgrades". We are pretty much set with our players with a few exceptions.

The one guy I would like to pursue is Donald Penn. He's big money, but I think he's worth it. However, since we made the final 8, we can only sign a FA if we lose one. So I think we let some guys go just so we can make some signings. For example, we may need to let someone like Carp and Spears go so we can upgrade at other positions.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Well you sure as hell can't just stand pat and not make some upgrades to some positions after getting exposed like that. That was pretty pathetic. We didn't even look like we deserved to be on the same field with them most of the game.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

I didn't say we should stand pat. I simply said that it's not reasonable to think we can make "major upgrades" (your words, not mine) at "almost every position on the OL and secondary" (your words, not mine).

I think we may be able to make one significant signing on each of those units. Like maybe Donald Penn at OT and maybe Atogwe or someone like that.

-Douglas MacArthur