Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This should come as no surprise to some, but Felix will get a chance to be the official starter this year, which he obviously should be now:

Quote:
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed that the team has given thought to having Felix Jones replace Marion Barber as the starting running back.
Jones did say that there are certain "advantages" to having Barber start, but he made it clear that Jones will get a chance to win the job. ESPN's NFC East blogger Matt Mosley, reading the tea leaves, believes there's a 95 percent chance the Cowboys will install Jones as the starter by Week 1. At the very least, there's going to be an open competition in training camp and preseason action.
Source: ESPN.com
It's time for him to show he's ready for the next leap, at least 20 touches per week. If he gets hurt again, then we don't need to hear about how were not unleashing him, or afraid to hand over the reigns. He'll get every opportunity to be the lead dog if he can show he's not made of glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:15 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he's given a real shot...I dont see how he doesnt win the job, he's easily the better back. A lot of us figured Felix would start next year anyway...seems like Jerry wants it more than Garrett, though...from the oustide looking in. Felix should be the starter.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
If he's given a real shot...I dont see how he doesnt win the job, he's easily the better back. A lot of us figured Felix would start next year anyway...seems like Jerry wants it more than Garrett, though...from the oustide looking in. Felix should be the starter.
I agree with the mothman, he should get his shot.

The question remains about him doing double duty as a KR + 20 carries per game, I can't see him surviving that for very long with his injury history.

In the cap era teams try to save by having a CB or RB return kicks & not pay a RS, then another Leon Washington or Devin Hester comes along, & then there's this emphasis on the need for a pure RS again ... (note that even Hester & DeSean Jackson are listed as starting WRs now, the cap era makes even multi-millionaire superstars do dbl. duty). Maybe this is p/o why RBs have a very short NFL shelf life these days.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:39 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be stupid to have him returning kicks, AND starting at RB. You just don't do that. As soon as Austin became a big part of the offense his KR duties became non-existent.

I'm hoping we draft a PR/KR man anyway.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
It would be stupid to have him returning kicks, AND starting at RB. You just don't do that. As soon as Austin became a big part of the offense his KR duties became non-existent.

I'm hoping we draft a PR/KR man anyway.
Agreed. I dont think Ogletree is any good back there either...so, it'd be nice to get a dynamic return man.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-25-2010, 07:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Agreed. I dont think Ogletree is any good back there either...so, it'd be nice to get a dynamic return man.
How soon is Arenas supposed to be drafted? We don't need to take a guy early, but if we could get someone who is very good in both areas, to add depth at corner it would be nice. We should of addressed that position a long time ago. Seems like if we took a WR to do it, things would get crowded, not so much with a DB.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
How soon is Arenas supposed to be drafted? We don't need to take a guy early, but if we could get someone who is very good in both areas, to add depth at corner it would be nice. We should of addressed that position a long time ago. Seems like if we took a WR to do it, things would get crowded, not so much with a DB.
Arenas is a 2-3 guy.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-26-2010, 01:20 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess I am the only person thinking OL is first priority?

If our OL didn't play so bad in the playoffs, I think we might have advanced. I may be alone in this, and that is fine. But I think our skill positions are up to snuff. But our line needs new blood.

Just one idiot's opinion.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post

If our OL didn't play so bad in the playoffs, I think we might have advanced. I may be alone in this, and that is fine. But I think our skill positions are up to snuff. But our line needs new blood.

I would love the first pick to be OT, but I think we should do BPA.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post

We all know that our OL was a problem in that game. Do you measure everything off that game though? Is that fair? On the season they did well. The problem was Flozell got hurt and Columbo was rushed back too early, imo. He gave up 3 sacks in that game after only surrendering 1 all season. Compound that with Free having his first live game experience at LT against Jared Allen in the playoffs.... but even then, he didn't surrender a sack. Columbo had a bad game, but I don't think he is fundamentally flawed. Neither is he without a future replacement. Robert Brewster is still projected to play RT according to an article I read where those words were coming from Wade's mouth. So our future solution is already addressed at both OT spots from our current standpoint. If they don't work out then I can understand spending a first rounder on an OT in the future. But that time is not now.

I know you see the Panic button and want to push it, hoping for a quick fix, but that isn't the best way to go about improving our team. The reality is that we have a lot of needs. OL is just one of them.

I do think we could address our depth at Guard and Center though. Does that have to be with a first round pick? Certainly not.

I don't think your opinion is idiotic in any way. All opinions are free to be said here. Heck, maybe it's my opinion that is idiotic. I'm always open for convincing if you can build a case against me.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How soon is Arenas supposed to be drafted? We don't need to take a guy early, but if we could get someone who is very good in both areas, to add depth at corner it would be nice. We should of addressed that position a long time ago.
Arenas is ranked by PFW as the 9th CB, projected in the 2nd-3rd rd. range. His RS skills are such that he should go much higher, maybe late 1st rd. I think he holds the SEC rcd. for career return TDs & yardage & supply & demand could give him that bump -- everybody is looking for that next gamechanger Devin Hester.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:15 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't project Arenas as a gamechanger returner at the next level. I think he benefited greatly by getting to play with nick saban. He has nice wiggle...but he sure doesn't have that elite speed that the elite returners in the nfl have.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I project Golden Tate as a game changing kick returner on the next level.

Just sayin' :D
Old 03-30-2010, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the progress of Free, I'm not so sure that guard and center depth is more important than OT.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
With the progress of Free, I'm not so sure that guard and center depth is more important than OT.
HUH? Are you contradicting your own self?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Man, if the Cowboys somehow get Dez Bryant (he either falls to #27 or there's a trade-up)... I will be upset.

There's something about Dez that reminds me of Michael Irvin.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I think the Cowboys should draft Golden Tate over Dez Bryant if both were available at 27.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
herniateddisc
Veteran

herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.herniateddisc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think the Cowboys should draft Golden Tate over Dez Bryant if both were available at 27.
agreed, dez is a headcase
herniateddisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by herniateddisc View Post
agreed, dez is a headcase
Not just that though. I can usually look past headcases if they are talented enough to warrant it. Tate can do more. He's way more versatile. He could line up wide or in the slot. He can go deep or across the middle. He has legit speed to burn. He can even line up in the wildcat and go from there. He's an ultimate weapon. He's basically this year's Percy Harvin without the constant injury/migrane/drug concerns. He's super competitive and highly intelligent. He's been at or near the top of my list since he wowed me in last year's Hawaii Bowl. I just hope we get him badly.

To hell with Roy Williams and anyone who wants to support him.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Schefter:

Dallas is releasing Flozell Adams and Ken Hamlin. Hamlin already confirmed on his twitter his pending release.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Big news. Also a tremendous vote of confidence for Doug Free. They wouldn't release Flozell if they weren't confident that his replacement for at least this year is on the roster. Wish he would of stayed and moved inside to LG though.

As far as Hamlin while I dislike him as much as any Cowboys fan I do not love Alan Ball starting at FS. That is a spot we'll have to remedy on draft day or through trades (Otogwe?).
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

As I've said, I think the team is confident in Free, not going to discredit LT in the 1st round as a possibility. Hamlin should of been gone anyway, makes no difference to me.

Somebody will pick up Flozell, but I'm not upset at all. Free I think will be no worse off over there and he'll only get better.

Quote:
Old 04-02-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Color me surprised. I would certainly cross off 1st round LT. They make this move, they think Free is their guy right now, no need to take a T in the 1st. S seems the most likely by far.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 04-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Could the Cowboys be the team rumored to be after Oakland's #8 pick? And with that pick, might the Cowboys select one of the elite LTs like Bulaga, Okung, or Williams?
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I think Free gets penciled in.

I actually think our interior OL depth is the biggest issue. If something happens to Free or Columbo, at least Leonard can step in and be an average OT. If something happens to Geroude or one of the guards, we are in a world of hurt.

I would love it if Iupati was there at 27. That would put us in pretty good shape and we could get a project type OT in the mid rounds.

But this does mean that safety is a must with one of the top 2 picks, IMO.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I love Iupati but, G or C in the 1st just seems like a big ole waste. We have depth problems inside...that can be covered anywhere in the draft.

Drafting a starting S in the 1st > Draft interior O-Line depth in the 1st.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS