Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-01-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the fact that we have some very good TEs...but at the same time, we're so deep at WR, I'd like to see us line up 4 or 5 at some point. We rarely did this last year and it makes no sense at all.

And in my perfect world...as crazy as it sounds...since I love the younger players, I would cut the fat and let Roy walk and just cut Crayton for the hell of it. Crayton is a good player, but I've had my fill. I just want to find a way to get Hurd and Ogletree more playing time. haha. What a log jam.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:46 PM    (permalink
JezCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I love the fact that we have some very good TEs...but at the same time, we're so deep at WR, I'd like to see us line up 4 or 5 at some point. We rarely did this last year and it makes no sense at all.

And in my perfect world...as crazy as it sounds...since I love the younger players, I would cut the fat and let Roy walk and just cut Crayton for the hell of it. Crayton is a good player, but I've had my fill. I just want to find a way to get Hurd and Ogletree more playing time. haha. What a log jam.
It would be huge for us if Bennett would finally live up to his talent. Then with Witten, MB, and Phillips we'd be a nightmare match-up in the middle of the field and could keep Witten fresh. Then think of what that would mean for our WRs on the outside routes likely drawing single coverage.

I wouldn't want to take away from our running game though which I think 4 and 5 wide would do. Austin is still the only WR I trust at this point TBH.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Austin is the only you trust because, the others havent been given a shot. I hate the fact that the 4th WR on this team barely plays. We should have a pretty healthy rotation, but we dont.

4 or 5 WR sets dont need to dominate the playbook...but we go about 6 deep at receiever, it's a stength. Garrett should try to spread the field out a little more. It's just a wrinkle that would make the team/offense better in the long run.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Check out the sweet Ogletree grab. He's really been coming on in camp lately, after having some dropping problems the first week.

Oh and side note because I have to...How huge does Hurd look? geez. I dont buy his listed weight of 208 for a second. He looks a lot bigger than Roy even. I'll always remember when Thule and I talked about how skinny he was, back in the day.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-03-2010, 09:49 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, I've been on hiatus on this board for a while, but plan on being back in action.

I was in San Antonio for the first two days of camp last week. It was my first time ever at a Cowboys camp. It was pretty exciting and really enjoyed the experience. I have to say that the team was walking with a certain type of swagger that I liked. It wasn't over confidence, but that type of swagger we saw back in the early to mid 90's.

The WR's were one of the most impressive groups. They were running crisp routes and some good hands overall.

Miles was Miles, I wasn't able to see any mistakes from him.

Roy had a few missed drops and seemed to be on one knee a lot. However, when he was running routes and going through drills he seemed to have good energy.

Crayton was his usual self. Very good hands and running great routes. He does look like he's lost a little bit of burst though.

Dez, well Dez was just merely impressive. He's extremely athletic, has great hands and great burst. He just needs to learn the offense and to run better routes. Hopefully he's not setback too much with the ankle sprain.

Ogletree, I really like this kid and hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle and gets underused. He reminds me a bit of Kevin Williams. He won't be a star, but very solid if used properly.

Hurd, well he missed the first day and I didn't get a good look at him on day 2. I can see Sam getting left out with all the talent we have. He might be trade bait. I'd hate to see him go since he's a stud on special teams.

The rest of the WR's won't make the team. I do like Holly though. He keeps showing flashes of good talent. If we weren't so deep, I could see him having an outside shot at making the team.

A few other quick tidbits from camp.

Ratliff was blowing up Gurode on one on one blocking drills. Andre looked like a small school center playing against Ratliff.

Ware and Spencer looked very sharp.

Free was holding his own against Ware on one on blocking drills. Granted Ware was just speeding rushing him and not really puttting any moves on him. Free did a good job pushing him outside.

The RB's all looked very sharp. Especially Barber. He seemed to have a nice burst that he lacked last year with the quad injury. It seems he's healed nicely and losing some weight helped. Hopefully he still has the power and tackle shedding ability.

Looking forward to seeing them in action in the HOF game against the Bengals. We all know practice is one thing and games are another thing.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:53 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'd be shocked if we dont keep 6 or keep 5 with Crayton departing. At one time, I thought Hurd would be cut, but I think he's a lock, for his ST ability alone. And he's having another fine camp at WR as well...he has no future in Dallas, but I'd expect him to make it, for one more year, at least. Hard to believe he's still only 25.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for those updates Leroy, especially since you were there. I really like the Ogletree-Kevin Williams comparison, I think that makes alot of sense.

My only concern is that we rush Dez back, let's just get him some limited snaps/plays the first 3 weeks where we run plays designated to get him the ball ie Ogletree last year.

One thing I didn't think about though, is that he was set to be our PR and more then likely KR guy. This puts a damper on that, not that it was my main concern with him, but just thought about how that may change some or all of those plans. Much higher chance to get injured now returning to return punts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Yeah...that means Crayton will probably stick around into the regular season. Because, they more than likely wont allow Dez to return kicks or punts for a while. Which also means...we may see Felix or Miles kick returning again, which sucks, considering their larger roles. They're essentially taking all the reps at KR right now. The only other guy is Titus Ryan and he's not making the team. Only two taking PR reps that will be on the team are Crayton and Newman.

On a good note...AOA and Lee may be back tomorrow. Sucks that AOA wont be returning kicks either.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-03-2010, 11:07 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree about not rushing Dez back, really there is no need to rush him back. We have enough quality depth at WR and don't need to. I could see this scenario, once Dez is back and healthy and we feel he's valued piece. I could see Crayton being traded by the deadline.

One other note about camp, Phillips is looking very solid and I could see him pushing Marty B for some playing time.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I disagree, I think your most dangerous set is the 2 TE set.

Bc you can split both your TEs out wide and air it out against major mismatches, or you can run like hell on em too. Your 2 TE set forces them into their base defense, and your passing attack is just as potent, and you can run just as well too out of that set.

Your spread set should be 3 WR, with Austin, Dez, and Oggletree and Witten at TE.

But if you replace Oggletree with Bennett (if and only if he gets it together and finally shows he's living up to the potential), you can run more effectively, and throw it just as well.

Your offense won't be as vertical, but you can counter that with more effective PA pass bc you'll run better out of the set.

And with teams being forced to play base D against that set, your TE duo is a terror to cover. No LBs duo can cover both Witten and Bennett. That forces 1 safety to cover one of em.

Now, that takes away the 2 deep safety look. Which means Miles or Dez has single coverage up top. Money.

If they counter with zone, checking down to Felix will carve that up and spread open the holes in the zones underneath for the TEs.

If they have the gaul to go 2 deep safety in that look, you audible to the run and plow ahead.

If they run Cover 3, one of your TEs is open down the seam.

If they blitz, you have 4 big bodies to body up on hot routes and pick the blitz apart.

You can split out both TEs in a spread set and keep your run blocking and mismatches, plus spread out the blitz and read it better.

The possibilities are endless. The 2 TE set is your best set, if Dez pans out and Bennett puts it together.

It all comes down to Bennett. He has to live up to expectations this year. I personally think he's always going to be a disappointment, but the guy has all the ability in the world, so you never know.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'm not saying to replace the double TE stuff...we all know how valuable it is. I was just saying...when you're that deep at WR, there is no reason why you shouldnt have 4 or 5 of them on the field at the same time, every once in a while. I'd love to get some vertical looks in there with the receivers. I'm not asking to re-write the playbook...just add some 4/5 WR sets into the mix.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-03-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Either way you slice it, there are so many different weapons and sets that the offense can use well. The biggest factor to me is Garrett. At wideout Miles has shown he can be great, and there is enough vet talent beyond him to be threatening. At TE it's pretty sick. Witten is one of the best, and even if Bennett never becomes the great pass catcher that we think he could be he's still pretty damn effective as a blocker. Romo is so great at finding receivers too that the passing game is going to be effective with anyone on the field.

Garrett is the key though. He's got to draw up the right plays and use the best players at the best times. I hated the guy ever since he was here, but in the last half of the season he showed that he can call some good games. I think he went back into panic mode during the Vikings game. To his defense, losing Flozell when the line is playing horribly will do that to you, but I wish he kept his head clear. Let's see how far he's come this season. He's got all that he needs to make the offense top 5 in both yards and points, but he's got to stay away from being too predictable like he has in the past.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Garrett is the key though. He's got to draw up the right plays and use the best players at the best times. I hated the guy ever since he was here, but in the last half of the season he showed that he can call some good games. I think he went back into panic mode during the Vikings game. To his defense, losing Flozell when the line is playing horribly will do that to you, but I wish he kept his head clear.
The whole team went into panic mode in Minnesota, they were beetchslapped on the road from the early going & never got the crowd out of it until the late 2nd half. They looked stupid in execution, gameplan, & on all 3 phases of the game. p/o that is on Garrett but the OL was completely dominated by the Vikes, not a lot you can do about it.

Getting rid of Flozell was a definite plus, far more trouble than he was worth & should've been replaced when he started leading the league in false starts. But he wasnt the problem, Columbo was brought back from injury way too quickly & it showed, the whole OL collapsed, the bad side of Jekyll-Hyde Romo showed up that day & Phillips' playoffs w-L rcd. got even worse.

Alternative to playoffs on the road -- home field throughout. And that's where the SB is, a happy coincidence. I hope I'm wrong but maybe the only contender they can beat on the road is Philly.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

That's a little contradictory with Romo and the O-Line. What do expect him to do when there is no one blocking for him? Of course he's going to look bad, he was hit like 15 times and sacked 6. I dont care who the QB was, they were getting their ass handed to them that week. Colombo kept getting turned around and the left side continued to collapse, regardless who was in at LT.

Romo doesnt deserve much blame on that game at all.

On a happier note...4 days until we play. YAY

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't believe were about to have a pre-season game, damn the more excited I get about football the longer the off-season takes. I wish I could have seen Dez play :( Oh well, football is football.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2010, 09:11 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Know what's crazier? They play two games in like four days, I think. They have two week one preseason games. I'm not used to this crap...Romo already has a "tired" arm....we dont need this.

And yeah, the games will be a little less exciting without half our rookie class again. But at least we have a bunch of healthy sophomores to watch now. haha. I just wish we had some better backup QBs to watch.

Also...I sure as hell hope our 2nd/3rd team defenses have improved, do you remember how embarassing they were last year? That backup LB core was awful preseason last season. The Raiders embarrased us last year. But Butler and J Williams are playing much better these days. I'm excited.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's a little contradictory with Romo and the O-Line. What do expect him to do when there is no one blocking for him? Of course he's going to look bad, he was hit like 15 times and sacked 6. I dont care who the QB was, they were getting their ass handed to them that week. Colombo kept getting turned around and the left side continued to collapse, regardless who was in at LT.

Romo doesnt deserve much blame on that game at all.

On a happier note...4 days until we play. YAY
I don't even understand how some people gave Romo some hate for that game. I know being the Cowboys' QB will bring some scrutiny, but no one is going to look like an all star when a guy is in their face within two seconds of the snap. Some of my friends keep saying that the Vikings game showed that Romo is still erratic, but that just means that they don't understand that you have to actually drop 3, 5, or 7 steps before you can throw the ball. Damn Madden players!

/rant

Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought that's what I was saying about the Vikings loss, that Romo went into Hyde Mode with the turnovers b/c the OL was failing in major ways & he was running for his life. Perhaps should've been clearer....

Quote:
That backup LB core was awful preseason last season.
When Bobby Carpenter was a starter, what does that say about the quality of the backups?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Yea the Raiders did embarass us lol, people on DMN were freaking out after that game lol but what's new.

Anyway, Romo's arm is tired but I don't expect him to play much except maybe the 3rd game. The first 2 games he needs 1 series, maybe 2. I see no reason to play him a few quarters into either game.

I'd much rather take starting the season rusty because we all know this season is down the drain if Romo is injured, then there have always been those kinda hits where he strained a back or something, could come back and play but he was favoring it the next month or so.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I heard they were actually letting AOA return some kicks today. Pretty surprising since he's just getting in there today off of injury.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I hope he gets to play Saturday. I'd like to see what he can do on the returns.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
I hope he gets to play Saturday. I'd like to see what he can do on the returns.

I don't. I wanted him on KR more then anything once I figured out we had him, but with that shoulder injury I don't know if I trust him there right away. Not unless it's 110% healthy, which I question if it is already.

I still think he would have been our best KR man for awhile, he has instincts back there most guys on our team don't have.

Quote:
Old 08-04-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The HOF game is so anti climatic. You get all excited bc its the first game of football in the season, and then you watch the game and its just such a bore.

The starters will play like 5-9 snaps. The 2nd string, which is pretty much your bench will see maybe a quarter. And the rest of the fluff left over sees the rest of the game.

I think the most frustrating part of preseason is you want to see your rookies out there and what they're capable of, but it's so hard getting an accurate idea of them (especially offensive players) bc they're playing with a 3rd string oline, 3rd string qb who is usually so awful its painful to watch, and you just can't tell at all if he's doing well out there or not.

I guess you can evaluate oline and dline, maybe a little LB action, but that's about it.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually phillips said he is looking for the 1st teamers to play 2 series. Unless the offense has a 10 play drive. Then the 2nd teamers will play into the 2nd half. And then 3rd teamers will end the game.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Well the game excites me because I haven't seen football in months, so getting a chance to see my favorite team play is riveting enough for me. I don't care too much about other teams unless I'm bored, but the football fix is the reason why I'll be glued to the screen.

Now when regular season starts, nobody else exists. There's just the game, my couch, the celebrations I'll do on that couch, and the refrigerator. lol