Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Do you guys know who your pro bowl alternates are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:49 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10
I don't really care who makes the probowl or not. In fact, I'd rather none of the players make it from the Dallas Cowboys.

It makes them more expensive if they do. And, it looks better to win the Super Bowl with zero PB's than with 9 PB's.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:54 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
BBD -

I do not claim to know the exact cause of the problem with the defense. I leave that up to the coaches, who not only 1) know more about football than any of us could dream about, but also 2) get to see the real game film while also knowing what each player was supposed to do in that situation.

You'll very rarely see me comment on specific performances within a game. I comment on the theory of the way things are supposed to happen. I also comment on observations of general circumstances (i.e. pressure on the QB, or past SB winners and what common threads they have).

To that end, I cannot say if it's the NT (I personally think it's not, but I'm not a coach) or the DE or the LB's. What I can say is that I feel that the first two picks in the draft should be geared toward the defense.

Going into this season I felt that the offense would be the limiting factor. As of this writing the offense is the second most prolific scoring offense in the league. So obviously, it's not the offense that's limiting the Cowboys.

I also feel that, with only a few exceptions, every solid SB team has had a very good defense and good QB play. Some can run the ball, some do not. Some have great WR's, some do not. Some had stellar OL, some did not. But they all had a good defense and good QB play.
Sometimes my personal beliefs on what wins and how to build teams comes out in my posts. I played on a team that preached smashmouth football that put a strong emphasis on physical play and in particular, strong play in the trenches. So sometimes you'll see my bias in those beliefs come out in my posts.

Having that said, I do honestly feel that it all starts up front, and while none of us are coaches, there are alot of weaknesses we can notice on our respective teams that could use improvement. Their eyes are no different from mine in a sense that we both can see, and Ive been around the game long enough to know a thing or do about the Xs and Os and assignments and what not. Not as in detail as the coaches of course but at the end of the day its not that complex.

Being a Giants fan, Im very familiar with the 3-4 defense and what makes it tick. And the common denominator among all the elite 3-4 teams Ive ever saw was a dominant front 3. You must create a push out of the front 3 to thrive in a 3-4, or any defense for that matter.

As great as the Giants defense was in the 80s, they wouldn't be squat if Leonard Marshall, Jim Burt, and George Martin didn't hold the fort up front. The Patriots defense wouldn't be squat without Seymour, Wilfork and Warren up front. And SD's defense thrives on the stellar play of their front 3.

Take Pittsburgh for example. They have for roughly a decade, ran the 3-4. In their entire tenure in the 3-4, while theyve had a good set of linebackers, theyve never had a dominant pass rushing class of linebackers. They always had a solid group, but nothing to wow about. Yet for the past 10 years, theyve always been near the top of the NFL in defense. Why? Because while their LBs were always serviceable, they always committed their defense to be very strong up front in their front 3. So while their Lb cores weren't necessarily the bigblue of the 80s, they were always able to consistently be a top 10 defense because of their stellar play in the trenches which allowed their LBs to roam more freely.

Look at their core right now. Porter, Foote, Farrior, Hagans. Not really the fearsome foursome if I say so myself. Are they good? Yes they are, but theyre not as good as SD, NE, or Dallas's lb core. Yet just last year, they were the most dominant of the 3-4 defenses, because they dominated up front. It all starts up front.

And thats what I don't see in Dallas this year. I haven't seen the front 3 do what they need to do to the offensive line. They don't generate that push that can allow their ILBs to come unblocked on the blitz, they don't occupy the tackles so the OLBs can come unblocked off the edge, theyre not occupying the linemen the way theyre supposed to.

They do enough to be very good, but theyre not doing enough to be dominant. Now a passive style is also the issue here with the Cowboys, but it doesn't excuse the fact that the front 3 aren't winning their individual assignments. Not consistently at least.

Now with experience of course the DEs can improve so maybe drafting DE doesn't necessarily solve the problem. But theres no doubt that the front 3 have not been playing up to par, and that must be improved upon in whatever way for the Dallas defense to take the next step.
I don't disagree with that. I do however think that it's less of a NT problem and more of a DE problem. That's why I favor drafting a DE or OLB who can provide more of a prescence that what we currently have.

I also think that drafting a CB in the first round makes alot of sense. Glenn is 34 and Henry is 30 neither of which is young. Drafting a guy to play nickle and/or start in a year makes sense to me.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99
Quote:
I don't really care who makes the probowl or not. In fact, I'd rather none of the players make it from the Dallas Cowboys.

It makes them more expensive if they do. And, it looks better to win the Super Bowl with zero PB's than with 9 PB's.
I'm with you on that on....I just wanted to know who the Cowboy alternates were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:46 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great talk

We all agree DE pressure is a slight problems. I agree that Spears isn't as far along as he should be...but those injuries really took him away from the gym which is probabally the area he most needed to work in when drafted. If he can finish the season off healthy I expect good things from him next year.

One note that I really love. Everyone here was worried about the offense...about week 3 or something Parcells went out in public and said it wasn't the defense that was worriing him...that to me speaks volume of his knowledge of this team.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:52 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone else surprised with how much time fowler is seeing. This is my question. We have great youth at the outside with burnett and carp and ware. Burnett is playing a key role in the nickel, but sometimes I question the move to hold him behind Ware. He also plays alot of special teams so maybe it is best to leave him as a backup with how much we run the nickel. My point is our second LB seems to change in the nickel sometimes...that majority of the time you see James back there..but occasionally Carp is back there. This is where my question comes in. Depending on where carp plays next year I think we see ourselves add one more LB to the crew. Because regaurdless we'll need one more guy on the inside if Carp stays Strong side or we'll need a bringeruper behind Ellis. I'm not sure it will be a first day option since the lack of depth but I could definately see us bringing in a guy. One guy that just seems to be right up Parcells alley is Paul Putz. Anyone else think so? Parcells tends to draft prolific players from prolific schools. Call me crazy but I could actually see us picking up another LB in the first round...if some of our prospects aren't there. How crazy would that be. I assume he would play the outside but I think he has the skill set to beable to stand up on the strong side.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I think the general consensus around here is that noone really knows what to make of the FS position. Watkins looks to be progessing but if he doesn't...it will be the same thing is last year. Is it really worth it to pick a top prospect? Have all that money invested into the secondary? Doesn't make sense money wise, but could definately see it.

I would just like to use this to strengthen my Zibby arguement. Zibby is a guy that could immediately replace Davis like I said...but he also has the ability to compliment Roy and Watkins well. Now with all the snaps Watkins and Zibby would be getting on special teams...I highly doubt parcells wants to start a player there all game. This fits right into the way Parcells coaches as far as how many players get how many plays. He loves his plays to contribute to more then one asspect of the game...which is why we see guys like Roy on the kickoff return team. I think with Zibby in majority of the first downs and about half of the 2nd downs...and watkins in on half the 2nd downs and the obvious passing situations you could see both players playing fulltime special teams...which will just make way to much sense for me to ever drop this topic. Think about this. Parcells goes after a first round FS. Do you really see Nelson playing special teams...plus elam....plus watkins. If we go FS first round..one of our backup safeties is cut. I highly doubt parcells wasting that many roster spots on guys who play only special teams. Lets face it....Reeves/Austin/Thompson are all guys who only see time on special teams. Maybe i'm doing some funny math but this still makes too much sense.

I'd also like to put out some props to the guy who put Leonard to Dallas. I had thought about this in the past...but didn't think it was possible do to the lack of breakaway speed our running game would suffer. But then I think about Thompson coming back. Our lack of a h-back...and I see that this pick also makes sense. Not to mentino this guy also has good special teams ability. My only quesiton is....does parcells think Hoyte is doing as good of a job as I do. Personally I love the way he hits the hole...but then again it does kind of go away from how parcells likes to use his fullbacks. Or maybe parcells just thinks Fasano needs a bit of time to work on his blocking and he is the h-back solution. But I do like Leonard to the cowboys. I'll be curious to see if parcells has anything to say about him. I definately think we will have a better idea of what to expect after the senior bowl...that is probabally the best time of the year to hear about what prospects we'll be eyeing. I still think if we shy away from the bruising runner we go with Loorenzo Booker...he is simply electric when he has the ball...I could see him falling to the second day..but he should run really well at the combine so it will be interesting.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-22-2006, 06:06 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why you want a guy like Zbikwoski He can't cover at college level, he will be burned all the time in the NFL...

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't have any source, i've just found in a forum that our alternates are Witten, Owens, Newman and Columbo..

In Bob We Trust

Old 12-22-2006, 06:22 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
I don't know why you want a guy like Zbikwoski He can't cover at college level, he will be burned all the time in the NFL...
So what do you suggest..draft nelson...and give up on Watkins? I mean if we are looking for a true center fielder....Watkins has all the tools to be the best. Yet he just seems to need a bit more time. I've had the arguement plenty enough now....but I'm just saying he is definately an upgrade over davis....if for some reason davis isn't back next year he would be the perfect replacement. I mean lets face it...ND is terrible...its not like hes asked to sit back and play cover 2....he is forced to play the whole field...they don't have a person in the secondary worth a crap. Yet he is all over the field making plays. I don't care that he can't cover like Ed Reed...point is...the way parcells is running the FS position...he wants someone who can contribute on more than one position. Lets face it....Zibby could return punts and play ever special teams unit. Plus he would be an upgrade over Davis on defense....so why not bring in younger...better player who has connections to parcells. I can see how you don't agree with the pick...but you can't also say that the pick doesn't make any sense.

One thing to realize...this isn't our draft. I really try to present my players as actually parcells type players. I mean granted if you have talent and good work ethic your a parcells player...but last year had anyone done research we woulda saw the Fasano connection. I mean last year we broke down about every asspect of our first round pick...and we had people that came in here wanting Lendale and Lawson....yet when you broke it down everything pointed to Carp....so I really don't care who we want. I want to predict a draft. And for me to do that...I look at connections and tendencies...obviously the draft isn't a math problem..but it does help with alot of things.

Bottomline is...if you draft a top tier FS...you give up on the watkins project and start over. I personally don't have a problem..but I think parcells is too stubborn to give up so early. After all this kid earned the starting job from the beginning of the season over a supposed parcells type player. I don't think he's gonna throw in the towel and draft a replacement after just a year. Esspecially when Watkins has all the measurements/talents to be elite. I mean we can look at Pettiti a guy with all the experience...yet he got cut for the more savy talent ridden player. I don't think anyone saw us cutting Pettiti but parcells saw that he truely wasn't gonna have an impact on this team in the future.

I can honestly see guys like Fowler/Davis/JJ/Crayton not being with us next year. I personally think there is a demand for them out there and if i'm not mistaken their contracts come up in the next two years. Another reason is...we can find younger players for cheaper with just as much potential as them right now. JJ has been good for us but his rookie contract comes up....and hasn't exactly exceeded the expectations from us. Fowler is nothing more then a puzzle peice. Davis I have come to believe has officially made it into parcells dog house. Crayton has shown alot but where does this leave hurd and austin for development? If I had to bet one position to lose a playing time player it would be WR...it is a bit of a log jam...and we are in need of a future number one...numbers just don't add up.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 12-22-2006, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
I agree. Keith Davis and Zibikowski are on the same level as a free safety right now. Davis is the better player because he's so good on special teams. I don't think Zbikowski has a very high ceiling at all, especially not at free safety.

I wouldn't be in favor of picking another safety early in the draft unless it was an elite guy and then I would only accept it. Everyone just needs to be more patient with players developing. Everyone wanted to label Watkins a savior in the preseason because he beat out Davis. Beating out Davis doesn't mean you've reached your ceiling as an NFL player. Watkins will continue to develop in years to come and hopefully become a very good player in a couple of years.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

You, as always, have made some pretty good points..
I really don't know what to do about Watkins. He is the guy we have seen the first 4 weeks, o is he the guy we've seen against the Eagles?
I think he has potential, a ton of potential, but if he fail well'have the same problem next year.. I really don't know.. If a guy like Nelson or Griffin will fall into our laps (and that's pretty possible, considering that S is not a premiere position) I think that we have to take him.. It would mean that we're givin up on Watkins, but with a top FS we'll solve one of our biggest area of concern..

And about JJ, I think that we can trade him if we want to rise some positions in the draft.. I loved him when he was a rookie but I think that we can find a good replacement.. Last year we tried to trade up to pick Maroney, so what about trading up to pick Lynch? RB is another position that usually fall in the draft.. Maroney was considered a top 15 pick and so was DeAngelo but they both fall to the end of the first.. I know that it's fanta-football but I would love to have someone like Lynch (who, imo, is better than Maroney)..

We have to pick the best player avaible, imo, no matter the position he play. CB, S, RB, OT, OG, WR... If a top prospect fall into our laps we have to pick him because we have a very complete team..
We need a NT. Somone who can dominate.. I know that many people say that we would play end in a 3-4 but I think that is big enough an strong enough to play NT at high level.. The idea to trade for Rogers sounds good to me.. But it's fanta-football once again..
Right now, NT and FS are our biggest need. Ferguson is playing extremely well but if we want to dominate we need our Jamal Williams.. We have a lot of young ends, I think that they will step up.. I'm not dissapointed with Canty, he just need to keep playing at the same level for an entire season and not for only an half.. Spears maybe is sufferin sophomore slump.. And I really like what I saw from Hatcher..

And we need a DC who knows the 3-4 better than Zimmer..

In Bob We Trust

Old 12-22-2006, 12:23 PM    (permalink
ThaU4Life

Watkins was a 5th rounder, if he doesn't work out then he doesn't work out but Zibikowski in no way will help fix that problem. He already has bad cover skills and there not going to get better at the next level.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I feel fine about Watkins, it's Henry and Roy Williams that make me nervous in coverage.

Why don't the Cowboys find a way to move Roy Williams to linebacker, and bring in another ballhawk type to come in on obvious passing situations for Roy at Safety. A guy like Michael Johnson out of Arizona could fill the role nicely and he wouldn't take a top pick either, he's probably a 5th round guy like Watkins.
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, I love this early draft fever that's going around the board, but there is still a ton of football to play. To me, the way we go (at least on day-one) is going to be determined by the result of the NFC Championship game, when we play the Bears at Soldier Field. That is going to show us where we are, and where we're going. There is at least another 3 games to play before that, which would mean at least 4 games left in the season. That's a ton of football.

This is the time of year where a lot of rookies finally start to "get it". I think Watson is certainly capable of making an impression this year. If you listen to the way that Parcells speaks of him, it's like he doesn't understand why he doesn't show the same things on the field as he does during practice, and in TC. He said just yesterday "well, it doesn't matter why it happened, but it happened" in reference to the big plays that he gave up early in the year. He sounds frustrated and confused, not by his poor play, but by the fact that he didn't play up to the level that Bill knows he is capable of.

So, there is that. But a lot of guys are going to be showing what they are made of here in the coming weeks. Fasano, JJ, Colombo, Gurode, MBIII, Hatcher, Spears, Canty, Ratliff and most especially Romo are all going to determine - to some extent - the length and nature of their tenure with this team. I think if JJ turns in another one or two performances like last week, then he is gone. Period. Likewise, Spears and Canty have got to show the staff something to make them feel that they can really have faith that these guys are going to be building blocks for the future. Colombo has performed well, but how is he going to handle blocking Ogunleye, Strahan, or Darren Howard in a playoff atmosphere, with his team's season on the line? And Romo....he's had a great start, but what if he comes out and lays a duck in a playoff game? That would seriously give the FO pause about his future prospects.

I know we think we know a lot, but I still think there is a ton of picture left to be painted, and plenty of the roster is still in flux. Who knows, maybe Flozell falls apart and suddenly left tackle is a huge question mark. Personally, I think Parcells is going to hit us with a major curveball. The nature of this team, and the draft class that is starting to shape up, leads me to believe that we could draft someone that is just way out in left field, sort of like Fasano was last year. So....while all this talk in entertaining, I do think that our opinions are nearly worthless right now.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:23 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did anyone see Scott's scouting report on Okoye? He has him pegged as a possible NT in the 3-4, which is strange because I had heard him talked about as a big-time one-gapper with good explosiveness. That's strange, but if this is true he could get a look from us, eh? I don't think anyone knows what to make of him with his youth and a lack of precedent, but if he has the potential to be a big-time NT, he would certainly jump way up near the top of my most intriguing prospect list.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine
Did anyone see Scott's scouting report on Okoye? He has him pegged as a possible NT in the 3-4, which is strange because I had heard him talked about as a big-time one-gapper with good explosiveness. That's strange, but if this is true he could get a look from us, eh? I don't think anyone knows what to make of him with his youth and a lack of precedent, but if he has the potential to be a big-time NT, he would certainly jump way up near the top of my most intriguing prospect list.
Around the board, I've heard everything from him being Cover 2 type DT, to your mentioned 3-4 NT. So either somebody doesn't know what there talking about, or Okoye is very,very , very versitle.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think someone eluded to the same thing I am asserting which is that other than TE we should take the best player available in this draft.

With that said, we should try to trade for, or sign, an impact player on the Front Seven. We won't get a starter on the front seven via draft.

A Thomas and S Rogers are atainable.

Draft this year is deep OL, DB and WR. But, hey, Marshawn Lynch would be sweet.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:52 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
Around the board, I've heard everything from him being Cover 2 type DT, to your mentioned 3-4 NT. So either somebody doesn't know what there talking about, or Okoye is very,very , very versitle.
At least he is young and big.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
I think someone eluded to the same thing I am asserting which is that other than TE we should take the best player available in this draft.

With that said, we should try to trade for, or sign, an impact player on the Front Seven. We won't get a starter on the front seven via draft.

A Thomas and S Rogers are atainable.

Draft this year is deep OL, DB and WR. But, hey, Marshawn Lynch would be sweet.
Shaun Rogers is signed through 2010. No way he's attainable.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Old 12-22-2006, 09:47 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:
I started a topic awhile back in the draft forum about him. I like his versatility, youth, and explosiveness. I was a little worried about the fact that he's lost some weight, but he's so young he has time to fill out. I think he's someone who bears watching.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 AM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This is random but does anybody else feel like this year's draft is really weak on talent compared to last year with the exception of wide receiver?
CTCowboysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
This is random but does anybody else feel like this year's draft is really weak on talent compared to last year with the exception of wide receiver?
I think so. Last year was a really good year, and I definately think less rookies will have an impact imediately come next year compared to this year.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couple of things I wanted to mention.

- Why does everyone love Zibkowski so much? Is it the Notre Dame aura? I honestly wouldn't take him anywhere in the first 4 rounds. He is way too much of a project player. He can't cover at all, he has the physical attributes but will need a TON of technique work to be a good player. And at best I see him as a SS. I don't think you guys need another one of those.

- I think LSUAlum makes an excellent point. With the oline playing well and the OTs in this draft class being weak, and the DT group in this draft being weak, drafting a CB in round 1 makes sense. You have aging CBs, drafting a guy now will have him ready by 08/09 so you won't miss a beat. Maybe you can gamble on a guy like McCauley and hope he can learn on the bench for a year and then have a crazy CB duo the year after.

- To me, Okeye is a 4-3 NT or a 4-3 UT. Everyone who is saying he can be a 3-4 NT is just assuming that because he's so young that he can put on more muslce on his frame and learn the position. But just this year, he struggled at 315 and had his best games at 290, so I don't know if you'd want him to put on more muscle. He is very raw and can project into a number of roles, but from my own personal evaluation, I don't know if he can be a dominant 3-4 NT. I would draft him as a 4-3 NT/UT and hope that he can develop into a Henderson/Stroud with good coaching and strength conditioning. I don't know if he's worth investing as a Cover 2 UT like many say, he has too much potential to waste as a undersized penetrator.

- In regards to the FS position, like I said its a wait and see thing. If BP doesn't have faith in Watkins, he'll draft one no doubt. If he does, he probably doesn't draft a FS. Theres only one guy who knows the answer to that question, and he's not on this forum.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:30 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Kevin Burnett plus Roy Williams get you Shaun Rogers.

Take out Roy and throw in a late 1 with Burnett, that works too.

Marinelli wants a faster D that can hit. Look at the reach for Ernie Sims.

Rogers, Fergie and Canty plus Spears, Hatcher coming in on nickel replacing Fergie....

I like that D with either Ware or Carpenter coming of the edge blitz or Ayodele in the middle.

Lotta beef with three above average pass rushers.