Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post

Where'd you read this?
Sorry. Earlier my only source was from my cell phone, but here's a legit source.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-kosier-again/
Quote:
Dallas' rousing road victory in Houston came with a casualty.

Jan Hubbard of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that starting Dallas left guard Kyle Kosier will miss roughly four weeks after spraining his right knee again.

Kosier will undergo an MRI on Monday, but it appears he re-injured the knee that kept him out for much of the preseason and Week One. Dallas' defense can carry the team most weeks, but the aging offensive line still looks like group that could prevent the Cowboys from fulfilling their Super Bowl aspirations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Dallas' run defense has been giving up some bad running lanes this year, regardless of scheme. Just so happens we faced two bad running teams before the Texans. Portis/Forte arent scaring anyone these days and our defense has the speed to close. There will be holes for CJ, and Dallas probably wont be able to close them fast enough. I'd be shocked if he doesnt gash us for over 115-120 pretty easily. And CJ breaks plenty of runs inside the tackles. So Ware and Spencer can be neutralized in the running game. I love our defense, but I dont trust them against any big time star RB.
The season is still young, but the only person to really run on the Cowboys' D well was Foster. Portis only ran for 63 yards on 18 carries, and Forte only ran for a measly 29 yards last week. Foster had a good statistical day, but as the game wore on he didn't get much outside of those big carries earlier.

If there is one thing that Dallas is elite at it's stopping the run. I'm willing to bet that they can hold CJ to about 80 yards on the ground. He's a great back that'll have a nice break or two, but the match-up is bad for him. Not many running backs have had great games against the Cowboys since 2008. They didn't give up a 100 yard rusher in so many games for a reason. It wasn't because they didn't play great backs, it's that they are just one of the best front seven units in the game.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:27 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I may be overreacting just a tad...I know statistically we looked great in the first two games, but the lanes have opened up. I was just saying I dont see us closing them fast enough, against Chris' speed. If he gets to the 2nd level, we're in for some problems. Especially with the way our safeties tackle. Dallas has certainly been suceptible to the big run, here an there. Lots of clouds of dust as well...but this CJ matchup worries me.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The safety play does worry me in the run game. I still remember those McLain runs two years ago. That was very cringe worthy, and it still is to this day. Ball concerns me a lot, but Sensy isn't so bad. He's just not exceptional, which I could live with if it wasn't Ball next to him.

On a hilarious tip, I'll mention that if Roy Williams wasn't out for the year that game those two runs wouldn't have happened. In spite of his declining play against the pass in his later years here, he was always great at stopping the run. I do know that I just dropped a bomb by mentioned old number 31, so I'm going to go back to my hideout to play Modern Warfare 2 while avoiding the war that is brewing here. lol

Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

On a different note, if Roy becomes a non-factor again and we cut him, is WR a possibility in the 2nd-3rd round? A scat/slot type of guy?
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:09 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its hard to see us retaining Roy at that price tag for another year. Parcells used to say "you can't have a steak on every plate." This isn't because you can't find them, but because you can't pay "steak" prices. We just gave Austin #1 money. Roy is already getting it. The only way you do that is if you are getting major bargains at other positions AND if you are getting an unstoppable one-two punch in return. Since neither of those are the case, the Boys will almost certainly be a) restructuring Roy's deal or b) cutting him loose altogether.

All that said, I don't see us spending another premium pick on WR unless there is a major steal available in the second or third round, essentially forcing our hands. Even then...we would probably try to trade back and get our value that way. All we really need is a decent 3rd wideout who can play some slot. Hurd and Ogletree would both be sufficient enough in the role.

I don't see it.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:01 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Its hard to see us retaining Roy at that price tag for another year. Parcells used to say "you can't have a steak on every plate." This isn't because you can't find them, but because you can't pay "steak" prices. We just gave Austin #1 money. Roy is already getting it. The only way you do that is if you are getting major bargains at other positions AND if you are getting an unstoppable one-two punch in return. Since neither of those are the case, the Boys will almost certainly be a) restructuring Roy's deal or b) cutting him loose altogether.

All that said, I don't see us spending another premium pick on WR unless there is a major steal available in the second or third round, essentially forcing our hands. Even then...we would probably try to trade back and get our value that way. All we really need is a decent 3rd wideout who can play some slot. Hurd and Ogletree would both be sufficient enough in the role.

I don't see it.
I have a hard time believing that Roy will still around as well. There's always going to be a chance, but the writing was on the wall the moment we drafted Dez.

If he has a season that defies the doubters, then I think we will try to find a trade partner. ...and I think there is a good chance that he does have a very good season. I think he will definitely re-raise his stock. Think about it, this is Roy's 3rd season with Romo. You know how the saying goes that it takes 3 years for rookie WRs to blossom... well, a lot of that is because it takes that long to build a working relationship with your QB... getting the timing down and understanding each other, when both QB and WR can read the defense the same and know how to react, then you see great chemistry establish...all those things naturally take time. Exceptions will occur of course, but we're talking about Roy. lol. He should have a nice year.

I still want us to pursue Jared Gaither. I mentioned dangling one of our RBs in front of them, but maybe Roy can entice them.... I dunno.

I agree we can't have steak on every plate. The problem is that our 2009 draft was a complete massacre. Drafts are where we get cheap, talented fill ins. But we screwed up. Royally... and we will now either have to hope we didn't screw up, or pay a pretty penny on FAs to keep up with the competition... or simply not keep up.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
On a different note, if Roy becomes a non-factor again and we cut him, is WR a possibility in the 2nd-3rd round? A scat/slot type of guy?
What kind of cap hit would that entail, cutting Roy Williams?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
What kind of cap hit would that entail, cutting Roy Williams?
I'm pretty sure it's minimal. He got paid a $26M dollar signing bonus that will have been paid out. $13M last year and $13M this year. Jerry wisely made his contact front loaded. His base salary is going to go up, but that's all non-guaranteed money anyways. That's the reason why I've been having the assumption that he'll be an easy cut. A lot of people were talking about cutting him before this season started, but I knew that wasn't going to happen considering he's owed a guaranteed $13M.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:49 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd hope we wouldnt spend a 2nd/3rd on WR. I wouldnt consider any offensive skill position in that range. We have real needs...I dont want to be wasting picks on luxuries.

Hurd as the 3 works great, if they choose to go that route. They like Miles in the slot anyway, so Hurd on the outside would work better than Ogletree. Or, if Ogletree develops...perhaps you move Miles back outside on 3rd downs and have Oggs lineup in the slot. Everyone here should know what I want to do. Hurd as the #3! :D

We really need to attack that o-line in the draft. I want as many high picks as possible...and of course, a safety. Which we havent addressed in far too long. I'd love for AOA to pan out, but if we can get a game changer/ball hawking type. You have to pull the trigger. Check out Earl Thomas and Nate Allen already...they each have two interceptions already and both look worlds better than Alan Ball.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-29-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'd hope we wouldnt spend a 2nd/3rd on WR. I wouldnt consider any offensive skill position in that range. We have real needs...I dont want to be wasting picks on luxuries.

Hurd as the 3 works great, if they choose to go that route. They like Miles in the slot anyway, so Hurd on the outside would work better than Ogletree. Or, if Ogletree develops...perhaps you move Miles back outside on 3rd downs and have Oggs lineup in the slot. Everyone here should know what I want to do. Hurd as the #3! :D

We really need to attack that o-line in the draft. I want as many high picks as possible...and of course, a safety. Which we havent addressed in far too long. I'd love for AOA to pan out, but if we can get a game changer/ball hawking type. You have to pull the trigger. Check out Earl Thomas and Nate Allen already...they each have two interceptions already and both look worlds better than Alan Ball.
I echo that statement... but no OL in the first round pls. I want an impact Safety.

Even Charles Godfrey is looking good.

As for AOA, the more I see of him, the less I'm impressed. True, he's very young and we needed to expect a slow development, but that was pertaining to him as a Safety. The KR stuff was supposed to be more immediate, and he has looked completely average so far. No burst, no vision, no lateral agility... Am I missing something? I know MOTH seems to be impressed, but I don't know why.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I'm not that impressed with him. Not yet. He does have some burst, though. But it seems like we never have any room to run on kick return. I still think he's the best option we have on kick return and can potentially be a great one.

And while it was preseason, he showed a lot of lateral movement and agility out there. Still too early to give up on him. I like the potential.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm not that impressed with him. Not yet. He does have some burst, though. But it seems like we never have any room to run on kick return. I still think he's the best option we have on kick return and can potentially be a great one.

And while it was preseason, he showed a lot of lateral movement and agility out there. Still too early to give up on him. I like the potential.
While I wouldn't say I'm giving up on him, I would yank him from those duties if I'm the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. I want someone who I know is better. I want to play the best man for the job... and that is... Felix Jones.

The dude barely touches the ball anyways. I'd get his ass back there on KRs. I have no reason to fear injury. I have 2 other bad ass RBs to spare.

If AOA has one more game and can't get the ball past the 25 yard line, then he needs to be benched until he can figure it out.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:57 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

While it was against 3rd stringers, he did play pretty well at safety against the Chargers.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Even Felix was having trouble getting it to the 20 every once and a while due to the blocking. 2009 he was averaging 22.6, which is actually worse than AOA at this point. They're good return men, but there are always players meeting them way too early. Our kick return averages havent been decent since 06.

I just want us to feed Felix the god damn ball in the offense. Dammit. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-29-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Even Felix was having trouble getting it to the 20 every once and a while due to the blocking. 2009 he was averaging 22.6, which is actually worse than AOA at this point. They're good return men, but there are always players meeting them way too early. Our kick return averages havent been decent since 06.

I just want us to feed Felix the god damn ball in the offense. Dammit. haha.
Blocking is always a part of the equation, but kick returning is a natural skill. You either got it or you don't. If you got it, you don't use blocking as an excuse.

Boy... Brandon Tate in NE makes me a sad panda.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Which young safety do you like the most?

Michael Hamlin, Barry Church, or Danny McCray?

I'm leaving AOA out of it for now. He hasn't even had a lick of playing time.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Michael Hamlin.

Church cant cover and Mccray is more of a mystery. Hamlin is the most well rounded.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Which young safety do you like the most?

Michael Hamlin, Barry Church, or Danny McCray?

I'm leaving AOA out of it for now. He hasn't even had a lick of playing time.
Well, I think it needs to be said that AOA needs absolutely no judgement made until at least next year due to his learning curve. This guy has some freaky tools so let's tap the breaks on him

Hamlin is probably the best safety right now. I agree that McCray is a mystery, but has some tools. I like the look they gave on goal line with Church in that package. He's almost like an extra linebacker because of his size. I think he's got a role here on goal line and ST.

I think if we had to play one of them at safety right now, it would be Hamlin. However, I am still very excited about AOA's ceiling.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's the no catch that everyone was talking about

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

That's a bad man right there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Here's the no catch that everyone was talking about

Ahh, so his right foot did come down before the elbow. Hopefully next time that won't be the case.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lots of little injuries that need the bye wk. to heal, normally I don't like early byes but this Dallas team doesn't normally lose its 1st 2 games in Sept. either.

Looking ahead, Tennessee comes to Dallas in Wk. 5 with the fastest man in the league. What do ya'll think? Can they take the Titans? Will the subtext here be Fisher's audition to eventually replace Wade Phillips?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:
Michael Hamlin.

Church cant cover and Mccray is more of a mystery. Hamlin is the most well rounded.
Yet he looks like a guy who hadn't played football in his entire life on that jump ball vs. Forte.

Don't give me that "he just got in the game in the 4th quarter BULLSH*T" he is an NFL safety.

I swear to god, I could've batted that ball down. i'm being 100% serious, I would've stopped that play. That ball from cutler was a joke. That play threw out my hope in hamlin.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

And that video... my god. And in the best WR thread people are arguing manningham over Dez. LOL...
Old 09-29-2010, 08:21 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Yet he looks like a guy who hadn't played football in his entire life on that jump ball vs. Forte.

Don't give me that "he just got in the game in the 4th quarter BULLSH*T" he is an NFL safety.

I swear to god, I could've batted that ball down. i'm being 100% serious, I would've stopped that play. That ball from cutler was a joke. That play threw out my hope in hamlin.
Mike Hamlin is another guy that needs some time. He's missed so much damn time already. As far as coverage potential...he's the best of the three mentioned. Church is an in the box safety and Mccray's coverage in college blew. He almost moved to OLB at LSU. But who knows how he'll develop. Hamlin's the only one of the three with a real chance to be a future starter, imo.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS