Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To be honest, i think the talent on the team is a bit exaggerated.

Skill position wise, it's one of the best in the league. The weapons are sick, great qb, great RB group, great OLBs.

But outside Ratliff, the dline is mediocre. The ILBs are good enough, but no playmakers. Outside of Jenkins, the DBs are mediocre.

And the oline is aged.

I still think its a very good team and I think its way too early to say Dallas is not making the playoffs, but I don't buy into the most talented team in the league talk. I think that's an exaggeration.
Newman is playing like a pro-bowler, but yeah scandrick looks like ****, ball is TRASH, and Sensabuagh is J.A.G.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
I just wanted to say good game guys.

I know some of ya'll are hella frustrated, but saying your season is over is just ridiculous. You're 1-3, and those 3 losses were to teams that all now have winning records. And you competed in every one of them. It's not as if you just got steam rolled by the Rams or Lions.

When ya'll are on ya'lls game like you were against the Texans, you saw what you're able to do. You had some bad breaks and lost to 3 good teams. Keep your chin up and move on. You're not always gonna shoot yourselves in the foot or have crappy luck.

But I do think it may be Phillips's last year in Dallas. A guy like Cowher or even Gruden could get you over the hump. You can't Fisher though! (I'ma lookin' at you D!)

And sorry about the CJ star pose. Hope ya don't take it personal. (Lookin at you again D! Seriously? Career ending? Dang dude...)

Good luck on the rest of the season. The Titans already delt a loss to the Giants, so hopefully they'll notch L's on the Eagles and Skins for ya too. And thanks for puttin' the Texans in their place. ;)
Just hella frustrated at the time. ;)

I'm sold that Cowher isn't a fit here and is more a want than a realistic possibility. I would LOVE Gruden though. He'd be perfect for this team. This offense needs to be in a WC system already. We have the prototype QB for it. We have the prototype WRs for it. We have the prototype TEs for it. It's got to be done! Gruden is also a player's coach, yet he's gonna be hard on your ass at the same time. Wade is too much of a player's coach that nobody respects him enough to be disciplined enough.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Nick Folk made a 50+ yarder just a minute ago. I really think Jerry regrets how that situation played out, and it's affecting his decision to replace Beuhler. Folk really made some BIG kicks for the Cowboys, got injured, and they were patient as hell with him til he showed his yips weren't going anywhere. Now look at him.....and we're still struggling to find a kicker.

There may be something to this curse everyones talking about.
There's one that got away. Kudo's to him for getting things right. When he was with us at the end he did some pretty unforgivable things. I can't really blame Jerry for letting him walk.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I think it has less to do with luck, and more with making stupid decisions.

And if the Rangers don't win today, I might just go on a rampage in Arlington.
I might fly up there and join you too.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Just hella frustrated at the time. ;)

I'm sold that Cowher isn't a fit here and is more a want than a realistic possibility. I would LOVE Gruden though. He'd be perfect for this team. This offense needs to be in a WC system already. We have the prototype QB for it. We have the prototype WRs for it. We have the prototype TEs for it. It's got to be done! Gruden is also a player's coach, yet he's gonna be hard on your ass at the same time. Wade is too much of a player's coach that nobody respects him enough to be disciplined enough.
You really think Gruden is the answer?

I've always felt he was overrated.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:49 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Regarding Folk, we shoulda just put him on IR right? But kickers don't usually get that kind of respect or leeway.

Alan Ball is really terrible and holding this team back from potentially being close to an elite defense... with a few other minor improvements.

Leonard Davis was/is one of the worst FA signings from Jerry in recent memory. His brilliant performances are akin to him just robbing Jerry at gunpoint.

Last edited by dpl85 : 10-12-2010 at 03:54 PM.
dpl85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys released Mike Hamlin.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
You guys released Mike Hamlin.
Which speaks to how bad not only he was but pretty much the entire 09 draft. Man you can't consistently win with drafting like that.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our safety situation is garbage...and I actually think Hamlin was the best of the backups, right now. The others, aside from a green AOA, project more as ST players. Hamlin at least could play the position. Not exactly shocking news, given that some didnt think he would make the team out of camp, but I didnt think we'd give up on him this early.

Not like I wanted him to be the future anyway...I want that ballhawk in the worst way. Hell, we could use two new starting safeties. I dont really have a problem with Sensy, he's just pretty average. And Ball is horrid.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85 View Post
Regarding Folk, we shoulda just put him on IR right? But kickers don't usually get that kind of respect or leeway.

Alan Ball is really terrible and holding this team back from potentially being close to an elite defense... with a few other minor improvements.

Leonard Davis was/is one of the worst FA signings from Jerry in recent memory. His brilliant performances are akin to him just robbing Jerry at gunpoint.
Well.... Davis wasn't always this bad. His decline has just been quite rapid.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Sensabaugh is the very definition of spare, or if you prefer, mediocre.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Our safety situation is garbage...and I actually think Hamlin was the best of the backups, right now. The others, aside from a green AOA, project more as ST players. Hamlin at least could play the position. Not exactly shocking news, given that some didnt think he would make the team out of camp, but I didnt think we'd give up on him this early.

Not like I wanted him to be the future anyway...I want that ballhawk in the worst way. Hell, we could use two new starting safeties. I dont really have a problem with Sensy, he's just pretty average. And Ball is horrid.
Yep... we need 2 new safeties. I hope AOA pans out.

Jerry had the chance to bring in Atogwe... even the local Dallas media got on him about that possibility. I wish we had him now. Instead we put all our eggs in Ball's basket. What a mistake. What a mistake.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Leonard Davis signing looked genius for the first two years. So I wouldnt call it bad at all...but something is really wrong with him now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Well.... Davis wasn't always this bad. His decline has just been quite rapid.
He's always been vastly overrated. He was an AZ Cardinals draft bust that we/Jerry thought could be really good here just because hes from here I guess. The year he made the pro bowl was a joke. He was decent but the Cowboys name and visibility elevated his reputation.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

meh. His first year in Dallas, Davis was fantastic. He looked all the part of a pro bowler. He was dominate at times, and consistent throughout.

These days, I feel more comfortable with Holland...jesus. I dont know what happened.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Giants 07 playoff game anyone? As best my little brain can remember the whole line was either average or terrible depending on the particular play. And big Len was certainly a part of that.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

If you havent noticed...our fat offensive line, always wears down at the end of the year. Our line is done by the playoffs. Nothing is more embarrassing than that Vikes game.

Romo's Decemeber struggles coincide with our offensive line getting beaten consistently more in those months, into the playoffs.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-12-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Good point Moth, that's why we need to move away from the old style big road graders to more athletic lineman.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:28 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know we needed a safety worse than you guys did, but why on earth didn't Dallas make a play for Antrell Rolle?

He's been a godsend for us. I know many think he wasn't worth the cash, but so far he's been worth every penny.

He looks better than he ever was with Arizona, he's the best run supporting safety we've had in some time, has great range and can cover slot WRs and TEs.

And most importantly, he's become a vocal leader in the lockerroom. Something I think both of our teams needed.

I can't knock Jerry too much though. What do you want him to do? The guy has drafted ballers, you can't fault him for that.

Mike Jenkins - baller
Dez - baller
Felix - baller
Spencer - baller

Ok, so 09 was an abomination of a draft, but for the most part he's been drafting well. It's not like he's getting scrubs in the draft. Drafting for talent and drafting for need is a fine line. A lot of positions that aren't "needs" today aren't needs bc Jerry addressed them with the players listed above.

He cut TO bc he had faith in Austin. He turned down a 2nd round pick for Austin. People thought he was crazy at the time. But he knew exactly what he was doing. Jerry is doing a good job, it's just that you can't have it all. You have to pick your spots.

And Jerry chose to ignore the trenches. So it's hurting him naturally, but I wouldn't fault him for not getting players. I fault his philosophy, but not the talent he's brought to the team.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:31 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I know we needed a safety worse than you guys did, but why on earth didn't Dallas make a play for Antrell Rolle?

He's been a godsend for us. I know many think he wasn't worth the cash, but so far he's been worth every penny.

He looks better than he ever was with Arizona, he's the best run supporting safety we've had in some time, has great range and can cover slot WRs and TEs.

And most importantly, he's become a vocal leader in the lockerroom. Something I think both of our teams needed.

I can't knock Jerry too much though. What do you want him to do? The guy has drafted ballers, you can't fault him for that.

Mike Jenkins - baller
Dez - baller
Felix - baller
Spencer - baller

Ok, so 09 was an abomination of a draft, but for the most part he's been drafting well. It's not like he's getting scrubs in the draft. Drafting for talent and drafting for need is a fine line. A lot of positions that aren't "needs" today aren't needs bc Jerry addressed them with the players listed above.
BBD, dude you're preaching to the choir. I wanted Rolle so bad. :(
Old 10-12-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Roy Williams is ballin' right now and were 1-3... jesus.

The luck has to turn around. I mean come on.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Dallas is tapped out as far as salary is concerned. They didnt have the cash to sign Rolle. Unless the league goes un-capped, which it will, Dallas would be screwed, with all of their backloaded contracts.

Add to the fact that they liked Ball, for whatever reason.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 10-12-2010, 04:43 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

The unspoken truth is that Jerry was cash strapped from having to pay for a large portion of the billion dollar Cowboys Stadium. And before anyone asks, no I don't have a link to back this up, just my own observation. How else to explain Jerry's suddenly becoming really frugal?
Old 10-12-2010, 04:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry didn't pay a dime for that stadium. He funded the whole thing with PSL money.

That's what owners do. They trick us into funding stadiums that they make billions of dollars with just so we can watch 8 games a season for the next 20 years.

And we fall for it.

Tis life.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Because Dallas has the highest or second highest team salary in the league. We really didnt have any real FA funds. There are only so many corners you could cut and backloading you can do. Plus, we had a few star players of our own to sign as well.

Dallas has done a fantastic job of keeping their talent...but the future would look pretty cloudy with a cap intact. Because they have been backloading everything so heavily, and chalking up big bonuses, to stay under the cap.

I'm 100% against no cap, though.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 10-12-2010 at 04:53 PM.