Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Jerry needs to ball out this off-season. One of those o-lineman MUST be had.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mankins or D. Penn would be good. Also, Davin Joseph would be a good get, too.

If we could land 2 of those 3 and draft someone fairly high, that would be a huge shot in the arm.

D, that's a pretty good list of OL. I think signing 2 and drafting one would put us in pretty good shape. What are some of the names on that list you like?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Do you think Jerry will do it?

We haven't been big players in free agency the past 2 years, so hopefully this year we make some moves. You can't just sit around and think this was a fluke season.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
Guess the truth hurts, huh?

The highlight of the Cowboys from 1996-2015 will be a single playoff win over the Eagles. lol.
Trolling on team pgs is verboten on this board. Take the interloper out & shoot him. Cowboys fans patience has worn very thin this yr.

Quote:
2nd and 3rd rounders on the interior and right tackle can easily become above average starters dude...

Do you think you know football?
May I respond? the 1st rd. is where the talent is, so a strong hint to Jerry: don't trade backward out of the 1st rd. anymore. Anyone who knows fb or paid attn. to the draft in recent decades has seen more & more o-linemen taken in it & they start as rookies. Some like D'Brickashaw & Joe Thomas have been golden from day 1, failing a FA acquisition I think Dallas needs one of those, Colombo is looking more & more like swingman backup for both OTs material. ...... in the worst way. As one nightmare game follows another with serous OL issues I'm buying into the keep Free & everybody else up for grabs. Later rds. are for the safety vs. the CB (yes I'm still singing that old song), the true center maybe named Wisniewski &/or a guard to replace borderline worthless Leonard Davis. Gurode is showing his mieage but still serviceable at OG not center, & the TEs seems to be able to keep edge rushers out for 2.5 secs, that rush up the middle is killing them b/c the interior front 3 are losing the fight on down after down.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:59 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I always liked Max jean gilles in college. I am not sure how he is doing with the Eagles or how he is developing, but I liked him. Mankins is a good get, and Ryan K. I liked as well in college. Not sure about the other guys. I am more of a fan of undrafted free agents coming in and making the team or drafting trench players on both sides of the ball.

I think we share different philosophies. Some people may say fix it by signing free agents and throwing money that way, others may say build the trenches from within. I prefer drafting trench players.

I like how we do that on both sides of the ball. Even undrafted free agents can work out if given the chance and developed correctly.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:35 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Jerry needs to ball out this off-season. One of those o-lineman MUST be had.
On 2nd thought maybe they can throw a buttload of $ at a FA OL, the good ones tend to be resigned by everybody but the cheapest of teams -- ** cough, cough, Zona, cough ** -- so it's rare. Also rare is a good rookie to be had in the 1st rd. this draft like D said, Carimi & Clint Boling (UGA, played both LT & RT) underwhelmed, Castonzo: a downright disappointment. Matt Reynolds (BYU LT, 23 yrs old) might well be the 1st tackle taken & per the wiki article has already been on an LDS mission, that's why he's a yr older than most srs. I'm thinking Reynolds will be there next April.

Edit: I will be watching Derek Sherrod closely in the Bama @ Mississippi St. game next month. Here's his CBS Sports predraft evaluation

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1273478

I realize it's very subjective evaluating O-linemen, that's the position where they DON'T want their name to be called b/c it's when they eff up, so you have to go with the non-measureables like passion for the game, mean streak, still consistency is hard to find there, maybe moreso than any other position. I know it takes 2-3 yrs. minimum to train a good OL in the same system, maybe there isn't one worth taking in the top 10 or even 1st rd. but if you can't get the apple out of the barrel you have to pick a semi-green off the tree.

Last edited by LizardState : 10-29-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Hate to admit it but it looks like Dallas will be drafting in the top 10 next April. If present trends continue Dallas will be right behind the really horrible teams & in this order

1) Buffalo
2) 49ers
3) Carolina
4) Pick a crash & burn team or Cleveland here
5) Dallas
6 - 8) Rams, Raiders, Denver, whoever.....

So there will be talent who can be drafted. Avoid the distractions for a chg, the sexy edge rusher DE, the hot WR, the 30 carries/gm RB, & do a damn TEAM NEEDS draft for once! Let the 9ers, Panthers, & Buffalo spend megamillions on Locker, Mallett or whoever.

Got to be safety or OL.

And don't go crazy & trade away the mid-rounders, Jerry. At that high a spot Dallas can draft the safety or OG they didn't get in the 1st, the kicker, DE depth &/or Spears' replacement, the true center, depth anywhere else.

Dallas may want to become UCLA East in the draft: focus on Kai Forbath, PK & Rahim Moore, safety. Aikman was an Okie & a transfer from Barry Switzer & the Sooners but came from Westwood, he didn't have a bad career as a Cowboy :--)
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Do you think Jerry will do it?

We haven't been big players in free agency the past 2 years, so hopefully this year we make some moves. You can't just sit around and think this was a fluke season.
Yes. ...and I'll tell you why. Kosier is a FA. He's gone. Barron is a FA. He's gone. Gurode is set to earn $5.5M next season. He's gone. Davis is set to earn $6M. He's gone. They aren't getting that money. Especially Davis. I think there is a chance that Gurode returns, but I'd say that doesn't look likely right now. That's too much money for someone living off reputation who is just a shell of his old self and doesn't make line calls.

We'll probably cut Holland too. Every time the guy needs to be relied on, he bums out of the same game with injury. Way too much injury. Colombo will be brought back. He'll make a measly $1.9M.

A bunch of money will be spent to resign Free. I'd guess something that averages around $4M a year over the life of the contract.

Roy isn't coming back at $5M. People like to say Barber isn't comign back at $4.5M, but I have my doubts. Sensabaugh, Spears, Hatcher, Ball, and Hurd are FAs.

The big question mark is Newman. Set to earn $8M. Not sure what'll happen there. But yes... CB has already been identified as a huge need before his loss.

Fact is, Free is our only big extension that we have to make and we have a lot of ways to free up a lot of money.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Quote:
We're gonna beat the Jags... NO FUN :(
With no Romo, it's a pick 'em, even $. The defense folded against the Giants, if that continues Dallas can't win, period. They didn't want to tackle huge SOBs like Jacobs or Bradshaw, they may quit vs. a little guy like MJD.

It will be worth watching to see if even a bad J-ville QB can pick on Flag Magnet Jenkins or pick the worthless secondary apart.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have a question for you guys:

What if that DE from Ohio State is on the board? (Forgetting his name, and as you can tell, I haven't been paying much attention to college football yet, its too early for me to be thinking draft just yet)

Do you take the DE from Ohio State, or Prince or Peterson?

You can make an argument that DE is a bigger need than CB (although both are pretty valid needs).

Think about it. Your starting DEs are Igor and Spears. Igor, and Spears. That's as average as they come. Hell, that's below average.
I'd take Heyward because I'm a fan of having a strong D-line rotation. One thing missing from the D-line was well is another guy who can create havoc like Ratliff. Ratliff so far isn't having a good season, so maybe they finally move him outside, draft Heyward, and get someone to start and rotate nose with Josh Brent.

I wouldn't mind getting a strong corner like Amukamara or Peterson at all, but I think that D-line is a bigger need because you already have two good corners in there. The bigger problem to me is safety. Get rid of the Scandrick problem with a FA or second rounder and the issue is fixed, and that issue won't be resolved if a corner is moved to safety. It just keeps Scandrick on the field, and it looks like he's not going to be the guy we thought he'd be.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cameron Heyward's stock is on decline. He's not looking like the player most thought he would be. I would avoid him with a 10 foot pole.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Yes. ...and I'll tell you why. Kosier is a FA. He's gone. Barron is a FA. He's gone. Gurode is set to earn $5.5M next season. He's gone. Davis is set to earn $6M. He's gone. They aren't getting that money. Especially Davis. I think there is a chance that Gurode returns, but I'd say that doesn't look likely right now. That's too much money for someone living off reputation who is just a shell of his old self and doesn't make line calls.

We'll probably cut Holland too. Every time the guy needs to be relied on, he bums out of the same game with injury. Way too much injury. Colombo will be brought back. He'll make a measly $1.9M.

A bunch of money will be spent to resign Free. I'd guess something that averages around $4M a year over the life of the contract.

Roy isn't coming back at $5M. People like to say Barber isn't comign back at $4.5M, but I have my doubts. Sensabaugh, Spears, Hatcher, Ball, and Hurd are FAs.

The big question mark is Newman. Set to earn $8M. Not sure what'll happen there. But yes... CB has already been identified as a huge need before his loss.

Fact is, Free is our only big extension that we have to make and we have a lot of ways to free up a lot of money.
I forgot all about Newman's ballooning pay.

Well well...that certainly adds another huge hole. Good god I'm hoping we go 3-13 the rest of the season and pickup Peterson. Peterson/Jenkins combo is going to be deadly. What are the FA prospects at Safety? Attacking Oline or Safety via FA, and then the other in the 2nd round of the draft would make for a very good offseason, and would certainly(hopefully) keep Dallas out of the NFC-E basement as early as next season.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I forgot all about Newman's ballooning pay.

Well well...that certainly adds another huge hole. Good god I'm hoping we go 3-13 the rest of the season and pickup Peterson. Peterson/Jenkins combo is going to be deadly. What are the FA prospects at Safety? Attacking Oline or Safety via FA, and then the other in the 2nd round of the draft would make for a very good offseason, and would certainly(hopefully) keep Dallas out of the NFC-E basement as early as next season.
It's not really ballooning as he's getting paid $9M this year. Next year he makes $1M less.

FA Safeties... Quintin Mikael... lol, what a steal that would be to the Eagles. Bernard Pollard probably resigns. Atwoge! Round 2? Not much out there. I like a few in the draft. Barron and Deunta Williams are my 2 favorite.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
With no Romo, it's a pick 'em, even $. The defense folded against the Giants, if that continues Dallas can't win, period. They didn't want to tackle huge SOBs like Jacobs or Bradshaw, they may quit vs. a little guy like MJD.

It will be worth watching to see if even a bad J-ville QB can pick on Flag Magnet Jenkins or pick the worthless secondary apart.
I thought the 'Boys were favored by 6?

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought he was getting something like 5mil this year. Oh...well yea, that changes everything.

Keep him, he's certainly earned it...and he's been the most consistent player on defense besides...Demarcus and Ratliff...to tell you the truth.

*argghh* It's frustrating to not know ANYTHING about the next coach(if there is one), and scheme and all that. I'm wondering if with picking up a Peterson or Prince, we could move Newman to safety?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Question: what if Jerry Jones wants to win, regardless of record, and puts Tony Romo back into the game 5-6 weeks from now?

I assume the Cowboys will probably beat the Jaguars, and will probably win at least 2 games, total, with Kitna. Romo would probably be good for 2-3 wins, so at that point the Cowboys emerge with something like a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and are probably out of the top 5 in the draft.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:29 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd hate to spend that high a pick on a DE. I mean, look at the Chiefs. They have Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey, neither of which has turned out to be an above average player. We have good enough LBs where we can still create a pass rush, but we need playmaking in the secondary, BAD. This has been as bad as i've seen the secondary play, and that's cause i can still remember the days when we had Keith Dixon and Pete Hunter starting for us.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:33 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I thought the 'Boys were favored by 6?
Weren't they favored in every loss this yr except Minnesota?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
jbsg02
Rookie

jbsg02 is a cocksman.jbsg02 is a cocksman.jbsg02 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Question: what if Jerry Jones wants to win, regardless of record, and puts Tony Romo back into the game 5-6 weeks from now?

I assume the Cowboys will probably beat the Jaguars, and will probably win at least 2 games, total, with Kitna. Romo would probably be good for 2-3 wins, so at that point the Cowboys emerge with something like a 5-11 or 6-10 record, and are probably out of the top 5 in the draft.
That's their prerogative. We certainly can't blame them for trying to win games. The coaches and players aren't thinking about next years draft pick like we are.
jbsg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I'd hate to spend that high a pick on a DE. I mean, look at the Chiefs. They have Tyson Jackson and Glenn Dorsey, neither of which has turned out to be an above average player. We have good enough LBs where we can still create a pass rush, but we need playmaking in the secondary, BAD. This has been as bad as i've seen the secondary play, and that's cause i can still remember the days when we had Keith Dixon and Pete Hunter starting for us.
Yeah, I agree to an extent. Tyson Jackson sucked ass, so I knew that was a dumb move from the start. If there's a guy with Richard Seymour type impact, that would be worth it. Just depends on who BPA is at the time and how our moves in FA affect our needs. Luckily FA comes before the draft.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
*argghh* It's frustrating to not know ANYTHING about the next coach(if there is one), and scheme and all that. I'm wondering if with picking up a Peterson or Prince, we could move Newman to safety?
Scott mentioned that Peterson could even play Safety in the NFL. Food for thought. CB needs be addressed elsewhere? I know the CB draft class is better than it is for Safety.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

There's already been many posts about us finishing with a 5-7 win season. Whatever happens happens. If there's a guy Jerry wants, he makes trades for them. ...just like we traded up for Dez.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:16 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, I agree to an extent. Tyson Jackson sucked ass, so I knew that was a dumb move from the start. If there's a guy with Richard Seymour type impact, that would be worth it. Just depends on who BPA is at the time and how our moves in FA affect our needs. Luckily FA comes before the draft.
Richard Seymours in a 3-4 are once in a decade players. I really don't think there's anyone out there right now that can have that kind of impact for us.

If Patrick Peterson can play safety, that's even better for us. It'll allow us to squeeze some more serviceable years out of Newman, and maybe even move him to safety. Idk, i just know that our secondary blows hard and we need big time help.

As for as the offensive line goes, i doubt we release 4/5 starters. I do agree though that Davis is definitely a goner, Kosier most likely won't get re-signed, but i have a feeling Gurode stays. Pay big money for Mankins if we need to, sign another Kosier-like guy to fill in his hole, draft a couple of guys in the middle rounds to develop, and we should be good.

Hell, draft a 1st/2nd round of Peterson/Curtis Brown would be a-okay in my book!
Old 10-30-2010, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
There's already been many posts about us finishing with a 5-7 win season. Whatever happens happens. If there's a guy Jerry wants, he makes trades for them. ...just like we traded up for Dez.
Here's a roster rundown based on NEEDS for the Cowboys heading into the 2011 season, if there even is one:

CB - Scandrick sucks, Newman is getting old and injured. Is Jenkins still good?
S - Alan Ball blows, and Sensabaugh is average at best.
DE - Marcus Spears and Igor Olshansky are average, and Spears is a free agent
ILB - Brooking is getting too old to play and Bradie James is average at best
OG - Davis sucks, Gurode sucks, and Costa sucks.
OT - Free is the only decent OT on the roster right now. Colombo is aging, and Barron isn't an NFL player

So how is Jerry going to fill all of these holes through draft and free agency, exactly?

Say the Cowboys pick Patrick Peterson with their first round pick in 2011. One of the holes at CB is presumably filled. You are then starting Peterson and Jenkins at CB. Who is going to play safety? We know Ball sucks and needs to be replaced. Are you going to count on a 2nd or 3rd round rookie? Try to convince Newman to take a step down, hurt his pride and play safety? Sign a guy in free agency?

Say you somehow manage to fill that hole at safety. If you filled it with a 2nd round rookie, you basically have no more top picks to spend on the offensive line. What are you going to do about the turnstile-like interior of the line? Doug Free is the ONLY reliable starter heading into the 2011 season. You need, at minimum, a solid guard and a solid right tackle. Is Jerry going to spend millions of dollars on both a guard and a tackle in free agency?

If you take the offensive lineman with the first round pick, which is what the Cowboys should do if they don't want to get their QB killed, what do you then do with the big holes at cornerback and safety?

And what happens with the defensive line which will probably be missing Marcus Spears? More free agency dollars? Count on a rookie? If they pick, say, Nick Fairley with their first round pick, I think the defensive line will be beastly. But then you no longer have the opportunity to select a cornerback, offensive lineman, or safety.

And what about ILB? Brooking is toast. Is Sean Lee going to be capable? He looks injury prone and I haven't really seen him flash anything special on the field. Are you guys satisfied with Sean Lee and Bradie James as the linebackers next year?

As you can see, there is no real "silver bullet" for the Cowboys that will enable them to compete next year. If they pick Patrick Peterson with the first round pick, even free agency won't help them fill all the holes on the offensive line, defensive line, and at safety. If they pick Nick Fairley, the defensive line will again be elite but at the expense of the offensive line and the secondary. If they pick an offensive lineman, they will again be weak on defensive line and in the secondary. You're either going to count on rookies in alot of critical spots or you're simply going to have to make do with guy slike Alan Ball and Phil Costa. There aren't enough free agency dollars or targets to fill the holes alongside the draft.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:30 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

I understand you're trolling, and it's fun. Just understand what you're saying..
Quote:
As you can see, there is no real "silver bullet" for the Cowboys that will enable them to compete next year.
The boys are 1-5 right now, but they've been competitive, and injuries have racked up. Skins obviously had/have more holes then any other team in the NFC-E and they're competitive after one year. The Giants Defense was a sieve last year, and they're stout again after a change in philosophies.Things change, a simple coaching/attitude change would obviously make a difference(see. Giants)...They're obviously not as bad as your suggesting, and things change from year to year. I'm pretty sure with exactly the same roster next year, and a last place schedule, and some discipline, we're not 1-5.

Hell...you agree with me...see your post here:
Quote:
Cowher would be great for the Cowboys. He'd be just the right kind of coach to whip them into shape and instill fear into some of those talented but underachieving slackers on the team.

I'd go so far as to say that if Jerry fires Wade and gets Cowher to Valley Ranch before Week 8, they go on to win the NFC East division. If he keeps Wade, they don't make the playoffs.
See the part to where you believe the boys can win the division, just by a change in coaches? Yet you're seriously in here saying that the Boys are doomed until 2015.
You're being disingenuous and trolling. Stop it.

Most of the losses came from self inflicted damage, they've been in every game. This is the NFL, not college. There's more then enough talent to be competitive, and I'll just leave it at that. There's no need to go through all the holes with you because there's no amount of "proof" we can provide that will change your opinion. Boys are having a down year obviously...I'm sure you love it. Enjoy it, but don't troll.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 10-30-2010 at 10:51 AM.