Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-26-2006, 01:31 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
Cowboysforever, youre really turning the cowboys team discussion into crap right now. You make some valid points, but then you also say some things that makes me question how much you really know about the game. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly.
Big blue, I make my money coming to conclusions quickly and acting on them. If that is awful, I dunno what to say.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 01:33 PM    (permalink
taylor03

You people crack me the hell up.

This team is one and done in the playoffs. The worst thing that could happen to this team is that Parcells stays one more year. Yeah thats right you heard me...Parcells needs to go! He is ovverrated as I have said many times on this board. This team has NO DIRECTION, hell our defense could not stop the Oakland Raiders offense on our BEST DAY.

Let me ask you what has Parcells done for this team? What? He has done NOTHING since Gailey and Campo...nothing! Oh and lets talk about that wonderful Bobby Caprenter pick at 17, oh wow...what a pick! Its time real fans on this board stop making excuses and start getting mad about things. I am so glad that the local media here is Dallas is hammering Parcells and his ability to coach and draft! Maybe thats the only way to put the pressure on this jerk off owner to make some real changes.

Face it, all Parcells has done is take a 5-10 team and turn them into a 9-7 piece of garbage. Thats it!!! It has taken us 4 years to get this good.....JC look what Jimmy did in the same amount of time with a worse team! Yeah yeah...I know free agency etc...but you had to be better back then to win it all. So that takes care of that point. This team needs a young coach with FIRE...a young staff and a new direction.

Parcells OVERRATED....PERIOD! He won one superbowl way back when against a tiny defense in Denver. Other than that he should not have even beat the Bills. Norwood won that game for him...So what has he done since 86? You tell me!
Old 12-26-2006, 01:37 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Thule, he may not test well in space, he may be short for BP and he may only be mid 4.6 but Woodley in the late 1 maybe a great pick.

Him and Canty of the weak side with Ware and Spears on the strong side would be nice.

Woodley is a strong cat and is playing in a conference with 3 legit round 1 tackles. He makes plays behind the LOS and can rush the passer.

If this happens, where do you go 2nd? OL?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:39 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Cowboysforever, youre really turning the cowboys team discussion into crap right now. You make some valid points, but then you also say some things that makes me question how much you really know about the game. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly.
Big blue, I make my money coming to conclusions quickly and acting on them. If that is awful, I dunno what to say.
But some of your conclusions are off base. The LB core is fine. ILBs aren't supposed to be pass rushers in this scheme, theyre supposed to be run stuffers with decent coverage, and Dallas has that.

The 3 downlinemen are the problem. They got pushed around last night. They provide no push in the pass rush. Ware to a degree is at fault too, his pass rush has been mediocre. Its not about just sacks, Ware isnt even getting hurries right now. Outside of that one good play, he was invisible out there as a pass rusher.

The problems with the defense are simple. The 3 downlinemen, and the pass rush. Thats ultimately it. I think Parcells is running his defense too vanilla as well, but he also always 2 gaps his DE's so the LBs can get a better rush off the edge, something that the LBs are not taking advantage of.

Roy is a liability in coverage, that is well known. But a lack of FS is hurting his play as well. I personally don't like Roy that much, I think he's overrated, but he can still work in this scheme with the addition of a FS, or if Watkins develops.

This game however, was not about Roy. It wasn't about Watkins either. It was about Dallas's defense, and offensive line getting dominated in the trenches. Dallas isn't particularly dominant in the trenches, and Philly is very strong in the trenches. Put the 2 together, and this is what happens.

I was not fond of the playcalling either. But at the same time, the oline provided no holes for the run game, plus Philly was putting up points, so you had to throw more.

Defensive playcalling was pretty vanilla too. But once again, everytime you guys blitzed, it still didn't get there. Its once again, because the 3 downlinemen are not doing their job occupying blockers.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:42 PM    (permalink
taylor03

Quote:
Defensive playcalling was pretty vanilla too. But once again, everytime you guys blitzed, it still didn't get there. Its once again, because the 3 downlinemen are not doing their job occupying blockers.
Thats Parcells for ya vanilla....four years to do what? Nothing.....sooner we get rid of this overrated lard ass from Yankee land the better.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:46 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor03
You people crack me the hell up.

This team is one and done in the playoffs. The worst thing that could happen to this team is that Parcells stays one more year. Yeah thats right you heard me...Parcells needs to go! He is ovverrated as I have said many times on this board. This team has NO DIRECTION, hell our defense could not stop the Oakland Raiders offense on our BEST DAY.

Let me ask you what has Parcells done for this team? What? He has done NOTHING since Gailey and Campo...nothing! Oh and lets talk about that wonderful Bobby Caprenter pick at 17, oh wow...what a pick! Its time real fans on this board stop making excuses and start getting mad about things. I am so glad that the local media here is Dallas is hammering Parcells and his ability to coach and draft! Maybe thats the only way to put the pressure on this jerk off owner to make some real changes.

Face it, all Parcells has done is take a 5-10 team and turn them into a 9-7 piece of garbage. Thats it!!! It has taken us 4 years to get this good.....JC look what Jimmy did in the same amount of time with a worse team! Yeah yeah...I know free agency etc...but you had to be better back then to win it all. So that takes care of that point. This team needs a young coach with FIRE...a young staff and a new direction.

Parcells OVERRATED....PERIOD! He won one superbowl way back when against a tiny defense in Denver. Other than that he should not have even beat the Bills. Norwood won that game for him...So what has he done since 86? You tell me!
I love BP and want him back but facts are facts -- the drafts of this team since Jimmy Johnson left have been atrocius. Among the worst in the NFL.

Botox Jones needs to take some responsibility for it. Him and his son are playing way over their heads.

I can not name a pick outside round 1 that is a top-end pro bowl talent since Larry Allen in 1994,
Old 12-26-2006, 01:48 PM    (permalink
taylor03

I sound pissed because I am...and I care about this team. In fact it my passion. But we have waited 4 years now....4. And its time to put up or shut up. This team WAS in the best position it had been in for years and look at what it has done. Its time to get this ting headed in a new direction. We need a new coach, coaching staff...and by all accounts a new scouting department. Carpenter witht eh 17th pick was an abolute joke. If anything this team should have just traded out of the round. I would rather see this team crash and burn at 2-14 then go 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 every damn year. At least when you are on the bottom there is only one way to go and that is up.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I sound pissed because I am...and I care about this team. In fact it my passion. But we have waited 4 years now....4. And its time to put up or shut up. This team WAS in the best position it had been in for years and look at what it has done. Its time to get this ting headed in a new direction. We need a new coach, coaching staff...and by all accounts a new scouting department. Carpenter witht eh 17th pick was an abolute joke. If anything this team should have just traded out of the round. I would rather see this team crash and burn at 2-14 then go 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 every damn year. At least when you are on the bottom there is only one way to go and that is up.
But lendale white would have been sweet at #18, yeah TexicoFromMexico?

You can't say that a guy is not worth his pick in his first year!! It's a dumb thing. Let's see how Carpenter develope, how many lbs did nothing in their first one or two years? Porter, Bulluck, Vrabel are just a couple of names.

And wow.. He have invested high draft picks and money in the d-line and the lb core and we are giving up on them? Spears, Canty, Hatcher, Ratliff... give them 3 years..

And we drafted an OLB in the first round last year and we are talking about drafting another? Give Carpenter some time!
I hate when people jump to conclusion after a bad loss..

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Carpenter was a reach at 17 but he was not getting past the Pats or Carolina.

Problem is BP wanted a LB so bad they reached. Too boot, they made the classic BP draft mistake of going for a BP guy -- slow, white and marginally bright.

At that pick Lawson for WOLB and Ware to SOLB would have solved more but Lawson was not a BP guy in spite of his superior athletics and superior frame. Bobby came from a great family don't ya know!!!!

And this is why BP is not a good talent guy but a great development guy.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:27 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Fasano also was a classic BP reach in the draft. Slower, white but a great guy.

This draft was loaded at TE and they could have taken a superior athlete but alas Fasano was from a great family don't ya know!!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
Quote:
But lendale white would have been sweet at #18, yeah TexicoFromMexico?

You can't say that a guy is not worth his pick in his first year!! It's a dumb thing. Let's see how Carpenter develope, how many lbs did nothing in their first one or two years? Porter, Bulluck, Vrabel are just a couple of names.

And wow.. He have invested high draft picks and money in the d-line and the lb core and we are giving up on them? Spears, Canty, Hatcher, Ratliff... give them 3 years..

And we drafted an OLB in the first round last year and we are talking about drafting another? Give Carpenter some time!
I hate when people jump to conclusion after a bad loss..
That's who I thought it sounded like too :D

Honestly though, there are serious issues on this defensive line. I Think we do need more pressure players, not just there but everywhere. It's absolutely disheartening to watch defensive series after defensive series and see no push or pressure. We need our ends to be more aggressive and get off of their blocks. We need a pocket collapsing DT, and we need a pass rushing linebacker.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:34 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

BP teaches all the right qualities to succeed in football and life but that can only take an average talent to above average. This is why BP may be the best teacher in football.

An analogy to this is the grade school teacher who falls in love with the moderately smart kid who is a hard worker and keeps his desk clean and does his homework ... will never be Stephen Hawking but a good accountant maybe who will be forgotten once out of sight.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:39 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

What is the Board's read on Kosier? Got value or another slow, white, BP 'I will make him great' reach?

Everyone thought the Cowboys nuts for this pick-up as well as Henry 2 years back.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:09 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
But some of your conclusions are off base. The LB core is fine. ILBs aren't supposed to be pass rushers in this scheme, theyre supposed to be run stuffers with decent coverage, and Dallas has that.

The 3 downlinemen are the problem. They got pushed around last night. They provide no push in the pass rush. Ware to a degree is at fault too, his pass rush has been mediocre. Its not about just sacks, Ware isnt even getting hurries right now. Outside of that one good play, he was invisible out there as a pass rusher.

The problems with the defense are simple. The 3 downlinemen, and the pass rush. Thats ultimately it. I think Parcells is running his defense too vanilla as well, but he also always 2 gaps his DE's so the LBs can get a better rush off the edge, something that the LBs are not taking advantage of.

Roy is a liability in coverage, that is well known. But a lack of FS is hurting his play as well. I personally don't like Roy that much, I think he's overrated, but he can still work in this scheme with the addition of a FS, or if Watkins develops.

This game however, was not about Roy. It wasn't about Watkins either. It was about Dallas's defense, and offensive line getting dominated in the trenches. Dallas isn't particularly dominant in the trenches, and Philly is very strong in the trenches. Put the 2 together, and this is what happens.

I was not fond of the playcalling either. But at the same time, the oline provided no holes for the run game, plus Philly was putting up points, so you had to throw more.

Bigblue, look, I agree we need more from the DL. A great DL covers up lots of flaws.

I got that but I think that is motherhood and apple pie. Who would not agree?

But your assertion that our ILB are good run stuffers and average in pass coverage is dead wrong.

Our ILB have trouble covering the flats. Our ILB have trouble shooting gaps on plays off tackle with speedier tailbacks. Our ILB have difficulty back pedaling into coverage.

Our ILB are like Roy Williams -- great running north-shouth and hitting people. Dats it.

Honestly, I am not sure what games people are watching but this has been an issue since the switch to the 3-4.

Pittsburgh, plays a 3-4 with lighter ILB that move.... That is what we need in today's NFL with QBs running 4.6, TEs running 4.5, every tailback doing 4.4 and blockers going 300 plus.

BP needs to adjust -- that is my opinion and the proof is in the results. I don't need another 16 games to get it. Last 31 are enuff.

Speed is important and not enough emphasis is given to it on this roster. Look at what is happening to New England -- slowly losing play makers and starting to pay the price.

Again, my opinion and I feel I am right.

By the way, DL played ok. We got nothing from our LB and SS yesterday. Which explains garcia's runs, lj smith having another pro bowl game and westbrook running silly outside the hash marks.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:18 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Bigblue, I want to point out something which I feel further strengthen my point on our ILB situation and BP's ideas on LBing.

BP wants big strong ILB which in today NFL run 250-260. Back in BP's glory days they went 240-250. Same speed. He wants them to win 1-1 battles at the point of attack particularly against guards.

So.....

Problem is Guards in todays NFL are running 320 plus (Andrews yesterday) and this is nearly 40 pounds heavier than in BP's glory days when they went 280-290.

This is a difference of 30 pounds of muscle. How can you expect a better outcome under this scheme????

If the answer is more dominant DEs that occupy the OL then what is the point of getting big pluggers at ILB?

What is left for an ILB to plug if the DL does the plugging????

Well, ILBs are left to make plays and you need speed.

So... Whatever.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
What is the Board's read on Kosier? Got value or another slow, white, BP 'I will make him great' reach?

Everyone thought the Cowboys nuts for this pick-up as well as Henry 2 years back.
Kosier's played okay in my opinion. He has his strengths and weaknesses. He's been good in space, but he's also been mauled at the point of attack. I liked him as a pickup this year.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:25 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

I have been reading this FORUM for a long time, and I thought maybe i should join in the action. You guys really offer great depth and insight on the team.

So I was looking around Draft Sites and found an interesting prospect.

Jarvis Moss

Look him up. Hes interesting.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:36 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetBLACK08
I have been reading this FORUM for a long time, and I thought maybe i should join in the action. You guys really offer great depth and insight on the team.

So I was looking around Draft Sites and found an interesting prospect.

Jarvis Moss

Look him up. Hes interesting.
Well' he is starting for an FL team going to the Fiesta Bowl.

Looks like an ideal 3-4 WOLB at 6'6 - jason taylorish
Old 12-26-2006, 03:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bigblue, look, I agree we need more from the DL. A great DL covers up lots of flaws.

I got that but I think that is motherhood and apple pie. Who would not agree?

But your assertion that our ILB are good run stuffers and average in pass coverage is dead wrong.

Our ILB have trouble covering the flats. Our ILB have trouble shooting gaps on plays off tackle with speedier tailbacks. Our ILB have difficulty back pedaling into coverage.

Our ILB are like Roy Williams -- great running north-shouth and hitting people. Dats it.

Honestly, I am not sure what games people are watching but this has been an issue since the switch to the 3-4.

Pittsburgh, plays a 3-4 with lighter ILB that move.... That is what we need in today's NFL with QBs running 4.6, TEs running 4.5, every tailback doing 4.4 and blockers going 300 plus.

BP needs to adjust -- that is my opinion and the proof is in the results. I don't need another 16 games to get it. Last 31 are enuff.

Speed is important and not enough emphasis is given to it on this roster. Look at what is happening to New England -- slowly losing play makers and starting to pay the price.

Again, my opinion and I feel I am right.

By the way, DL played ok. We got nothing from our LB and SS yesterday. Which explains garcia's runs, lj smith having another pro bowl game and westbrook running silly outside the hash marks.
Alot of the issues is scheme related too. The ILBs aren't really supposed to be isolated man up with the RBs out of the flat. This is not a Cover 2 defense. Theyre supposed to play a zone in the middle of the field and redirect routes.

The FS or SS is supposed to pick up the flats in many instances. The problem is most likely BP doesn't trust Roy alone at S if he brings the FS up to pick up the RB in the flat. And likewise, the other way with leaving the FS alone back there if he brings Roy up.

That is also most likely why theyre running so much Cover 2. Now the issue with that is Cover 2 is heavily dependent on good Safety play, something the Cowboys are lacking. So its a lose lose situation.

But quite honestly, the ILB flat coverage is somewhat trivial. Yes, its not flawless, but its not the real culprit of the defensive issues. Pressure bursts pipes, and the pass rush is very very average right now. Thats the real issue at hand.

How many times has the opposing offense converted on 3rd down? Too many times. Just like my Giants. And generating pressure is the culprit for both teams.

I think Dallas's lack of play in the trenches against the run was more of a let down then exemplary play of their defense. They have been stoute against the run all year, so I think this was just a letdown game in that regards. But the issue all year has been pass rush, and it continues to plague them on 3rd down.

I also hate the nickel package you guys run. So unimaginative. They either rush 4 or do an all out blitz out of it, its so predictable. They do a great job mixing up their coverages with this defense, but they, BP in particular, needs to do a better job masking his rush packages, and the players need to do a better job creating a rush.

Having that said, all it takes is a couple of hot games in the playoffs and you'll forget everything that just transpired. BP sounded very upset at the energy of the team and I bet that won't happen again.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:09 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Bigblue, reasonable post on XOXO improvement requirements.

Funny you point out the blitz because they are horrid at masking it.

When the Cowboys blitz everyone knows where it coming from and tend to spread it out instead of overloading a spot on the line.

Your points are very good. I think mine are too. But yours tend to be XOXO and mine are more about strategy. So some difference lie in there.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:26 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

I honestly think Mike Zimmer is the problem, and our play calling. Why do we have a 4-3 defense coach when we are running a 3-4. His blitz packages are redudant and pathetic. About our play calling, We have two amazing wideouts, a athletic TE tandem but we dont use them. Terrell is right now how he needs to involved more. Julius Jones needs to open his eyes and look for more than just 3 yards. Our Oline is weak and soft just like Parcells.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:42 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

o.k. guys i have a question. as far as talent goes how many of our starters would start for the san deigo chargers? they are probably the best team this year so how many of our guys could start for them...our wr's maybe roy. anybody else?
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 06:13 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces
o.k. guys i have a question. as far as talent goes how many of our starters would start for the san deigo chargers? they are probably the best team this year so how many of our guys could start for them...our wr's maybe roy. anybody else?
Newman would for sure.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Manuwaii from Jacksonville is gone.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Manuwaii from Jacksonville is gone.
Still hoping for Blalock or Manual Rameriez.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote