Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1 Carolina 2-14 .574
2 Denver 4-12 .516
3 Buffalo 4-12 .578
4 Cincinnati 4-12 .582
5 Arizona 5-11 .465
6 Cleveland 5-11 .570
7 San Francisco 6-10 .488
8 Tennessee 6-10 .508
9 Dallas 6-10 .512
10 Washington 6-10 .516

I can see Carolina, Buffalo, Arizona and SF looking for QBs. Also Washington will be looking to trade up possibly for a QB. Assuming AJ Green also goes in the top 8, that could be 5 offensive guys in the top 8, which means 1 of the 4 guys people have been excited about (Petersen, Prince, Fairley or Dareus) would be available. We also could be in a prime trade down spot as Washington is looking for a QB and the league knows it, so a team could make a trade with us to get ahead of them. All in all, it's not a bad spot we find ourselves in. Useless to speculate until the Combine, but at least we're not Detroit, going from 2nd pick most of the year all the way to #13.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:14 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

D-Unit, we went from what wouldve been 6 with a loss, to 9. It's not a big deal at all.

We have plenty of options.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Debatable but what the heck!!

1. Andrew Luck
2 Nick Fairley
3 Prince Amukamara
4 Marcell Dareus
5 Da'Quan Bowers
6 Patrick Peterson
7 Mark Ingram
8 Cameron Jordan
9 Robert Quinn
10 A.J Green

Who do u think and who do u want?

Realisticly: Dareus
Want: Peterson or Amukamara
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:39 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
D-Unit, we went from what wouldve been 6 with a loss, to 9. It's not a big deal at all.

We have plenty of options.
Patrick Peterson ain't gonna be there now. That's a big deal.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Better prospects have fallen, or we could trade up.

And what if he is a collasol bust? you never know.

9th overall in each round is pretty solid to me. Garrett now at the helm. Romo and dez back. getting rid of dead weight like barber and some of the o-line.

we are in good shape. Chill my friend. Prince or fairley would be just as nice. Prince might even be the better corner prospect.

Prince or fairley at 9, rahim moore in the 2nd, best OL in the third, and a a good OL/DL or 2 in free agency, and were right back on top of the NFC.

Free worked out at LT, Dez is a monster, Sean Lee is a beast too, relax dude, there are some things to smile about.

The redskins are a joke, the eagles are bleh if our secondary can get it's balls back, and the giants are in shambles and eli looks like he fell off.

Next season should be fun. chill out.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The funniest thing about pick 9 versus pick 6 at this point in the process isn't the first round really imo. Peterson wasn't going to last till 6 and we weren't going to move up to get him more than likely with the price to move up being so high to move into top 3.

So that said we still have a outside shot at a blue chip prospect....3-5 of those should be in this draft...someone might fall....that said they could go 1-5 and we'd also miss out on them.

Where this is gonna hurt worse is in the 2nd round. I think we'll see a run on OL talent at the end of the first round and the start of the 2nd. Might be a classic spot where we try to move up. Be interesting to see how this all works out. Value wise at this point in the process I think it's pretty evident.

DE
CB/S
RT/OG

Should be solid value at 3 need positions in the first three rounds...that is about all you can ask for.

I can think of plenty of mocks that make me smile with some combination of the three but my biggest question is this.

What exactly do we do with the CB position. If we go Prince at 9 I'm fine with that but I still stress that our bigger need is at safety and he should play there. He isn't going to time well and if you want to look at similarities from just a few years ago look at Malcolm Jenkins....on the field they are elite at the college level but their games translate to S in the NFL and both of their coaches acknowledged this although draftniks don't tend to say this until after they here some other draftnik say it. Well all this prince talk in the top 5 is funny. Freaks or trench players/qb's go here. He maybe has a shot at top 10 and I'm still not sold on that. He will be there to pick from at 9 I'll put a bet with anyone on this board to back that.

That said this class is very deep at the CB position and is definitely a strength in my eyes. With our 2nd round pick CB value should be at a premium. My question is what exactly do we do about it. Unless we cut newman which I don't buy with the shaky past year of both Jenkins and Scandrick you can't add another young guy and go with that imo. So now you are drafting a 4th corner when you arguably have other positions where you need starters? That just doesn't make sense. Someone please explain this situation to me. It doesn't make sense and I don't think we should touch it until later unless we can move scandrick for more than a bag of pretzels I guess.

Dareus

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a lot of us are overlooking outside linebacker in terms of need. Spencer has been below average thus far, if you can't become productive playing opposite Demarcus Ware then there is just no hope for you. We all know the best pass defense is a good pass rush and I don't know why we seem to give Anthony Spencer the benefit of the doubt. I mean we rag on Jenkins an Newman but our pass rush has been flat out bad this season. I don't know the status of Spencer's contract but if I'm Jerry Jones, Anthony Spencer is one of the guys I have to make a tough decision about..

Let's say Peterson and Fairley are gone. I think Prince is overrated and I believe that his stock will drop well outside the top 10 (Besides, Safety is much for of a problem for us than Corner). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Robert Quinn can take this defense to another level. Worst-case he only plays on passing downs as a rookie and gives teams another threat to worry about. When I watched him play last season he really did remind me of Ware, you notice his elite athleticism right away and he has the nonstop motor to match. Not to mention he's only 19 in the film we have on him.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

TheFinisher, you are hating on spencer to much. T-New had an awful 2nd year and people wanted his head. It happens. I know it was against the 2nd eagles o-line, but he was dominant yesterday. The entire defense was just bad.

Anthony Spencer has played well and is a 1st round pick. He isn't going anywhere. Robert Quinn would be way to much of a luxury at this point.

And as for prince, I think he will time in the 4.4s, and he is a CORNERBACK. don't fix what isn't broken.. and yes i think he will be there at 9 as well.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Spencer's in his 4th year, not his 2nd. Big difference.

EDIT: Spencer was Wade's hand picked pet cat and always defended him. We will see what happens with the new DC.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-03-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In the category of crying over split milk, drafting 9th.

Would never have thunk it in September.... disappointing is an understatement. Yeah it could've been worse but when your season is over by Halloween it leaves the bad taste of high expectations pissed away.

Carolina & SF looking to restock in major housecleanings with new regimes, Buffalo looking for help everywhere too, Redskins dumping McNabb & looking for a QB.

And Fisher looking to get outta town in Nashville after being dissed by omission on a Christmas cd. photo? Wonder if Jerry is his 1st phone call..... amusing to think of Garrett as the default position isn't it?
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardState View Post
In the category of crying over split milk, drafting 9th.

Would never have thunk it in September.... disappointing is an understatement. Yeah it could've been worse but when your season is over by Halloween it leaves the bad taste of high expectations pissed away.

Carolina & SF looking to restock in major housecleanings with new regimes, Buffalo looking for help everywhere too, Redskins dumping McNabb & looking for a QB.

And Fisher looking to get outta town in Nashville after being dissed by omission on a Christmas cd. photo? Wonder if Jerry is his 1st phone call..... amusing to think of Garrett as the default position isn't it?
Meh, I was one of Garrett's biggest doubters on here but I think he's done a good enough job to land the gig. I'm fine with him as our HC, I'm more worried about who he brings in under him. Norv Turner's gotta be a name that Jason likes and rumor has it he's on the hot seat in SD. I've also heard rumblings of Paul Chryst as a possible OC. I just wanna get this process over with as soon as possible so we know what we're looking at heading into the offseason.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Spencer's in his 4th year, not his 2nd. Big difference.

EDIT: Spencer was Wade's hand picked pet cat and always defended him. We will see what happens with the new DC.
Couldn't agree more. Assuming Spencer is going to play lights out in 2011 like he did for about 8 GAMES in his entire career is not smart. Not sold on him at all.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meh, I was one of Garrett's biggest doubters on here but I think he's done a good enough job to land the gig. I'm fine with him as our HC, I'm more worried about who he brings in under him. Norv Turner's gotta be a name that Jason likes and rumor has it he's on the hot seat in SD. I've also heard rumblings of Paul Chryst as a possible OC. I just wanna get this process over with as soon as possible so we know what we're looking at heading into the offseason.
Don't be surprised if John Garrett gets promoted from TE coach to OC.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:02 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Good call boss+manning.

That is a very high possibility.

I really think our offense needs a true slot WR.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quick Jerry! Hire Eric Mangini as DC!!! Do it NOW if you've got half a brain left!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I don't know who I want most in the draft at 9. I'm still bummed.

DE is such a risky gamble. Look back at history at the past busts along the DL in round 1. It's crazy. I don't want to waste this pick on a bust. I'd much rather wait on that position.

OLB... let's just say this... I hate Spencer, but if we draft an OLB here, like Quinn, I will laugh at how stupid this franchise continues to be. Victor Butler continues to be the forgotten man. He might be the only good thing to come out of the 2009 draft, but he doesn't even get quality playing time. So yeah, we better not draft an OLB.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I don't know who I want most in the draft at 9. I'm still bummed.

DE is such a risky gamble. Look back at history at the past busts along the DL in round 1. It's crazy. I don't want to waste this pick on a bust. I'd much rather wait on that position.

OLB... let's just say this... I hate Spencer, but if we draft an OLB here, like Quinn, I will laugh at how stupid this franchise continues to be. Victor Butler continues to be the forgotten man. He might be the only good thing to come out of the 2009 draft, but he doesn't even get quality playing time. So yeah, we better not draft an OLB.
Yea but Spencer is JAG as far as I'm concerned and Butler will never be anything more than a situational rusher. If Quinn's BPA, Spencer and Butler shouldn't stop you from taking him.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Quick Jerry! Hire Eric Mangini as DC!!! Do it NOW if you've got half a brain left!
This is something I'd be on board with.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

WE CAN'T TAKE QUINN. that is way to much of a luxury for this team.

we need to see what we do in FA too first.

Plus, can we really take a CB?

Think about it. Newman will be back. So if you take Prince or someone at 9, is the 9th overall pick gonna be your 4th corner?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
but if we draft an OLB here, like Quinn, I will laugh at how stupid this franchise continues to be.
You wouldn't laugh when Quinn would eat quarterbacks. He's good.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:48 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
WE CAN'T TAKE QUINN. that is way to much of a luxury for this team.

we need to see what we do in FA too first.

Plus, can we really take a CB?

Think about it. Newman will be back. So if you take Prince or someone at 9, is the 9th overall pick gonna be your 4th corner?
It's actually not a luxury, our pass rush has been flat out bad this year. Spencer cannot defeat 1on1s, he probably sees more 1on1s than any other pass rusher in the NFL yet all he can give us is 15 sacks in 4 years. No thanks, I'll take the guy who would actually gives teams something to account for opposite Ware, Robert Quinn.

I also don't think as highly of Prince as most, he doesn't belong in the top 10 imo.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Quinn and Ware would rape and pilage backfields for many years.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Hard to say. Quinn played on an extremely talented defense. He might look better on film than he actually is on his own. Plus, I don't know if he has enough range to be a 3-4 OLB.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's actually not a luxury, our pass rush has been flat out bad this year. Spencer cannot defeat 1on1s, he probably sees more 1on1s than any other pass rusher in the NFL yet all he can give us is 15 sacks in 4 years. No thanks, I'll take the guy who would actually gives teams something to account for opposite Ware, Robert Quinn.

I also don't think as highly of Prince as most, he doesn't belong in the top 10 imo.
Pass rush is bad because QBs don't need a lot of time to find an open receiver. Our secondary hasn't been able to cover anyone all year.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I think replacing spencer is to much of a luxury for this team right now. We agree to disagree on that Finisher.

I like fairley, PP, or Prince at 9. If not, trade down into the teens or around 20, and take Sherrod or Carimi.