Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What makes ya'll think Garrett is going to hire an OC? I think he will continue in that role.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Pass rush is bad because QBs don't need a lot of time to find an open receiver. Our secondary hasn't been able to cover anyone all year.
It usually goes hand in hand, I agree the coverage has been bad as well. I guess it will come down to what our staff values more, IMO pass rush > coverage.

It's also a lot easier to patch up a secondary through FA than it is to find a legit pass rusher through FA.

Also, do not underestimate to suckiness of Alan Ball and its ripple effects. Let's bring in a solid vet to play FS and see what happens.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
What makes ya'll think Garrett is going to hire an OC? I think he will continue in that role.
That's an awful lot for a young coach like Garrett to handle on his own.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, you guys do realize there will be no FA avalible unless the Collective Bargaining Agreement is signed, right? There is little chance of that happening before the draft so we will have no idea of who's avalible and we will have to draft without knowing how we can improve our team.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 01-03-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
That's an awful lot for a young coach like Garrett to handle on his own.
Yeah, not saying its a good idea, I just dont see him giving up those duties.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I think replacing spencer is to much of a luxury for this team right now. We agree to disagree on that Finisher.

I like fairley, PP, or Prince at 9. If not, trade down into the teens or around 20, and take Sherrod or Carimi.
Screw that. If we trade down, the OL to get is Tyron Smith.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It usually goes hand in hand, I agree the coverage has been bad as well. I guess it will come down to what our staff values more, IMO pass rush > coverage.

It's also a lot easier to patch up a secondary through FA than it is to find a legit pass rusher through FA.

Also, do not underestimate to suckiness of Alan Ball and its ripple effects. Let's bring in a solid vet to play FS and see what happens.
Oh I'm not underestimating the suckiness of Ball or anyone else in our secondary not named Mike Jenkins. That's why I think it's a bigger need than OLB. I think you should tell yourself not to underestimate their "suckiness". Great word by the way. :)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey D. How are you feeling there? Happy New Year by the way.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Banning... you know the Garretts... Would Jason give up his playcalling or no?

...and when are you joining the staff? Get a call yet? :)
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Hey D. How are you feeling there? Happy New Year by the way.
I'm pissed off that we won yesterday, but otherwise... real life is pretty grand. Had a great weekend popping fireworks! :)
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
I'm I'm not mistaken he has to have one. Wade took over DC duties but someone had to be fired first. Haley has an OC, Sean Payton has an OC, McDaniels had an OC, all these guys are offensive minds and Garrett will be no different. He might still call plays, but we'll definately have an OC, which will most likely be his brother.

Quote:
I think a lot of us are overlooking outside linebacker in terms of need. Spencer has been below average thus far, if you can't become productive playing opposite Demarcus Ware then there is just no hope for you. We all know the best pass defense is a good pass rush and I don't know why we seem to give Anthony Spencer the benefit of the doubt. I mean we rag on Jenkins an Newman but our pass rush has been flat out bad this season. I don't know the status of Spencer's contract but if I'm Jerry Jones, Anthony Spencer is one of the guys I have to make a tough decision about..

Let's say Peterson and Fairley are gone. I think Prince is overrated and I believe that his stock will drop well outside the top 10 (Besides, Safety is much for of a problem for us than Corner). I've said it before and I'll say it again, Robert Quinn can take this defense to another level. Worst-case he only plays on passing downs as a rookie and gives teams another threat to worry about. When I watched him play last season he really did remind me of Ware, you notice his elite athleticism right away and he has the nonstop motor to match. Not to mention he's only 19 in the film we have on him.

We don't even need to have OLB on the board man. Spencer didn't show up this season like we expected after the way he finished the 1 prior, but we have Victor Butler and Brandon Williams who are more then capable of getting after the QB. Victor Butler could probably start for alot of 3-4 teams. Brandon Williams is very underrated, 1 of those guys may take Spencer's spot but we certainly don't need, or have room for any more considering we need two safeties, 4 offensive lineman, and a CB or 2.

Peterson is going to Denver, Champ is gone, they need a CB and FS. Good luck with him getting past them. Dareus would be nice if he's there, probably option #1 for me, Prince #2, but there is no chance in hell Prince is drafted to play Safety. We should almost get 1st pick of our safety in round 2 if we want one.

Garrett going 5-3 with Kitna in 7 games, and McGee in 1, considering who we played is HIGHLY impressive. That's not even taking into consideration that 2 of the 3 losses vs the Saints and Cards should have been wins, and the Eagles game we were right there. Can't do anything but be impressed, he changed how we practiced, the tempo, if you told me he would have won 5 of his 8 games and nearly won 7 I would have laughed in your face considering we couldn't figure out how to win games with Romo.

Maybe Garrett is just a better HC then OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Banning... you know the Garretts... Would Jason give up his playcalling or no?

...and when are you joining the staff? Get a call yet? :)
It depends I think who has his ear and how he evaluates everything. I am sure he will check who is available, and see if his brother wants it. Or like someone said above, he has the option to keep calling the plays.

I asked a common friend today to start calling old man Garrett. This would be my last shot before I quit football altogether. I mean for god sake, I know 4 people on that staff. If I can't get my foot in the door now, I am not waiting longer. But talked to my friend Bob, and he said he will be calling Garrett.

It was a good win. Winning anytime helps, and to get this momentum and end the season on a good note is always good especially for a coach trying to prove he should get the interim tag out. I understand why you were mad, but as a coach, I was VERY happy for Jason. A win to end the season is what you want.

He has Jones backing, and so this really is a good fit for him.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I agree. Rahim Moore at 41 or whatever in the 2nd round would be ballin'.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Blaine Gabbert declaring is HUGE!! helps us big time.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It depends I think who has his ear and how he evaluates everything. I am sure he will check who is available, and see if his brother wants it. Or like someone said above, he has the option to keep calling the plays.

I asked a common friend today to start calling old man Garrett. This would be my last shot before I quit football altogether. I mean for god sake, I know 4 people on that staff. If I can't get my foot in the door now, I am not waiting longer. But talked to my friend Bob, and he said he will be calling Garrett.

It was a good win. Winning anytime helps, and to get this momentum and end the season on a good note is always good especially for a coach trying to prove he should get the interim tag out. I understand why you were mad, but as a coach, I was VERY happy for Jason. A win to end the season is what you want.

He has Jones backing, and so this really is a good fit for him.
I wish you luck! But don't give up! Not until Jason is fired at least. There's always a chance if they are still coaching!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
I wish you luck! But don't give up! Not until Jason is fired at least. There's always a chance if they are still coaching!
I can't wait forever. Interviewed and talked to the Jags GM now Gene Smith. He was Director of scouting then. Campo helped me there. Then applied to all the NFL teams and got rejected. Then Siragusa helped me, and got to go to Atlanta. They screwed over big time. Worked with Garrett and his staff, but interviewed prior with the father. He wanted to see if I had "game" i guess. So I passed that interview and he put me on the list to coach with his son. That was like a practical interview to see how I would do. I did well there too. So now it's contacting and waiting. However, in the meantime, going to take classes and aim for medical school. If Atlanta or Dallas works out, then it will be a cool decision to make. If not, then work on science classes.

It's a VERY hard industry to get into.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't wait forever. Interviewed and talked to the Jags GM now Gene Smith. He was Director of scouting then. Campo helped me there. Then applied to all the NFL teams and got rejected. Then Siragusa helped me, and got to go to Atlanta. They screwed over big time. Worked with Garrett and his staff, but interviewed prior with the father. He wanted to see if I had "game" i guess. So I passed that interview and he put me on the list to coach with his son. That was like a practical interview to see how I would do. I did well there too. So now it's contacting and waiting. However, in the meantime, going to take classes and aim for medical school. If Atlanta or Dallas works out, then it will be a cool decision to make. If not, then work on science classes.

It's a VERY hard industry to get into.
We're pullin for ya bro. I didn't get into coaching bc I knew I'd struggle to get a chance. So I went into science, and now I'm a scientist who talks about football on forums! Haha.

If you can't make it to med school, look into pharmacy school. I'm serious. If I could do it over again, I wouldve done pharmacy. Now I'm working full time and getting my phd in biomolecular sciences part time so i can make a good living moving forward. Im working 10X harder for the same salary I couldve gotten if i went to pharmacy school instead. And their work is 10 million times easier than the stuff I do.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
We're pullin for ya bro. I didn't get into coaching bc I knew I'd struggle to get a chance. So I went into science, and now I'm a scientist who talks about football on forums! Haha.

If you can't make it to med school, look into pharmacy school. I'm serious. If I could do it over again, I wouldve done pharmacy. Now I'm working full time and getting my phd in biomolecular sciences part time so i can make a good living moving forward. Im working 10X harder for the same salary I couldve gotten if i went to pharmacy school instead. And their work is 10 million times easier than the stuff I do.
Yeah med school is on the list. I guess I should look into that too. I am just going about my thing with post back for med school. If I get a chance and it works than I have to really weight my options because there is no going to med school later than. So football has to work out. Atlanta was amazing, but still very bitter on how things went down. That was the biggest turnoff to this industry.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Can someone list our current free agents?

Is it just Free, Kosier, Ball, Sensabaugh, and the DE's besides Igor?

Last edited by xxxxxxxx : 01-04-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Another reason why Garrett being hired is a good thing is because the playbook remains the same. Hopefully, it can continue to expand. I heard a good comment by Colin Cowherd on the radio on the way to work today about this. Said Tom Brady is able to be successful because Belichick is able to open up the entire playbook. I know that is common sense, but I think that goes overlooked many times. When you're able to use more plays in different situations, then your advantage over your opponent is that much greater.

With that in mind, Garrett imo, HAS TO give up the play calling to a full time OC who shares the same system. That all points to his brother.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Another reason why Garrett being hired is a good thing is because the playbook remains the same. Hopefully, it can continue to expand. I heard a good comment by Colin Cowherd on the radio on the way to work today about this. Said Tom Brady is able to be successful because Belichick is able to open up the entire playbook. I know that is common sense, but I think that goes overlooked many times. When you're able to use more plays in different situations, then your advantage over your opponent is that much greater.

With that in mind, Garrett imo, HAS TO give up the play calling to a full time OC who shares the same system. That all points to his brother.
That's the thing though. When you install week to week you're going into detail and practicing those plays. For example, in training camp is when you install new concepts and review old ones. However, you may not use certain things throughout the year.

So the entire playbook thing is relative in a way. You don't have to learn all 300-700 pages in one go. When you install week to week, you will have to learn it then, and than get to rep it. I am sure players go over and read it, but you can always learn it and master it when it's installed against that particular opponent.

I'd expect his brother to get promoted soon. I even wonder, if Judd Garrett gets moved up. Move John to OC, and Judd as a TE coach. Now you add another brother into the fold.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
That's the thing though. When you install week to week you're going into detail and practicing those plays. For example, in training camp is when you install new concepts and review old ones. However, you may not use certain things throughout the year.

So the entire playbook thing is relative in a way. You don't have to learn all 300-700 pages in one go. When you install week to week, you will have to learn it then, and than get to rep it. I am sure players go over and read it, but you can always learn it and master it when it's installed against that particular opponent.

I'd expect his brother to get promoted soon. I even wonder, if Judd Garrett gets moved up. Move John to OC, and Judd as a TE coach. Now you add another brother into the fold.
Oh I didn't mean to intend that the entire playbook could all be used in one game. Mainly that the change over wouldn't be so dramatic as it would with a new system and that continuity... but yeah, I guess the whole idea of greater expansion of the playbook is relative when you install different plays week to week.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Todd Bowles came in for an interview yesterday, I wouldn't doubt if it's for the DC position. He was here under Parcells from 05-07 as a DB coach, so he has ties to the organization. Parcells is supposedly very high on the guy and that's always a good thing. Say what you want about Parcells but he has a great eye for coaching talent. Bowles was the runner up for the Lions HC job that Schwartz eventually got. Also had interviews for the HC vacancies with the Rams and Broncos so this isn't just a JJ or JG project, Bowles is thought highly of around the league.

I guess my intitial response is I would perfer a more proven DC like Romeo Crennel, Capers, Rob Ryan, or even Mike Nolan to fix this defense. Bowles could be great, but like Garrett, it's more of a question mark than anything else due to the inexperience. I'm OK with that as long as we're right lol. He supposedly is a high energy, attention to detail type of guy (Like Garrett) which is what we need on this staff.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I also wonder what type of 3-4 defense he would run?

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-05-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if Rob Ryan is an option to come here for our DC spot, he'd be right up there with anyone else. Bowles I don't know much about other then what you posted so thanks for that, he seems like someone I can get with. I still would like someone with a better track record, Garrett is gonna be handling the offense we need a strong figure to control the D because it's all his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:33 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I wonder if Rob Ryan is an option to come here for our DC spot, he'd be right up there with anyone else. Bowles I don't know much about other then what you posted so thanks for that, he seems like someone I can get with. I still would like someone with a better track record, Garrett is gonna be handling the offense we need a strong figure to control the D because it's all his.
I certainly hope so. He's the main guy I want for defensive coordinator right now. Every place he has been the defenses played well, even when the talent wasn't as good. He really could be a head coaching candidate since Rex is having success in NY, but if for some reason he's not hired as an HC I'd be extremely ecstatic to see him here. The Dallas D could really use a guy who is aggressive but also intelligent in mixing things up to confuse offenses.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote