Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Press conference today at 1:30.

GARRETT IT IS. Let's just hope we get info on the OC/DC.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, Ryan would be an instant cure for lack of toughness on a defense that exhibited same from camp to the opening games of the '10 season. Wade's lack of practicing in pads was IMO a holdover from his father Bum Phillips who insisted on not hitting in practices as the Houston Oilers HC, could not see the sense of "injuring ourselves," & that makes sense. But at some point you have to develop toughness as a team b/c if you don't you will be defeated as a team on Sundays in a sport that's all about hitting & physically dominating an opponent. Where the rubber met the road vs. opponents , the OL & the defense, the Cowboys were noticeably lacking in toughness during games, then when disciplinary issues came up (like 2 excessive celebration penalties in 2 successive games) a big red arrow was pointed at the coaching staff & Jerry Jones was obviously embarrassed in all those interviews as the media elbowed each other out of the way to ask those pointed questions.

Changes were made & it came under the heading of emergency corrective action, but too little too late in terms of salvaging a season that was over by November.

I'm just hoping the team doesnt get into a paint themselves into a corner mode in draft preparation again, the concept of focusing on only Their Guy at the top of their board at a specific need position. If, for example they decide to dump Newman, & keep Jenkins that could largely be a matter of $ & cents on current contracts, they focus closely on their #1 guy like Prince Amakurmara from Nebraska, & then move to position of need #2 if he's unavailable for whatever reason, taken or can't trade up for him. Same thing could happen with Wisniewski at OG/C, a lot of non-QB players find themselves suddenly top 5 material & non-top 5 teams like Dallas find themselves re-prioritizing on draft day.

Last edited by LizardState : 01-06-2011 at 12:21 PM.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Press conference today at 1:30.

GARRETT IT IS. Let's just hope we get info on the OC/DC.
I'd be surprised if it's anyone other than Chryst and Bowles at this point, but I doubt that announcement comes today.

Fun fact: Bowles was the guy who got Parcells and Jerry to buy into Anthony Henry. :/
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Interesting tidbit from dmn

I'm all over this
Yeah, I read about that over at BTB yesterday. Hopefully Chryst could bring in the idea of a disciplined O-line that creates wide lanes for runners. I absolutely love the way the Wisconsin O-line is built. They are a one minded unit, and I'm hoping like hell that Chryst could bring that mentality here.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Fun fact: Bowles was the guy who got Parcells and Jerry to buy into Anthony Henry. :/
Henry was a classic case of a red hot rookie yr raising expectations that he never fulfilled as his career declined. He had like 11 INTs his rookie yr with the Browns, never even remotely that good later. For some reason that happens more with DBs than other positions, maybe b/c of speed loss with aging.

Is a Chryst - Carimi pkg. deal out of the question? Unless Costanzo wows everybody in Sr. Bowl practices no way he gets even in draftable OT on the teams boards, Carimi will likely be a very hot property on draft day & top 5 material. Dallas' need at OG rather than OT is obvious, I think Leonard Davis is done, & with everyone saying the no. of FAs will be limited in a new CBA yr. teams will be more draft dependent for help than usual.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I don't know that much about him besides that wisconsin put up like 70 points in 3 straight games to end the season..

He a good coach?
He likes the run the ******* ball! Which is 1 thing I can get on board with lol. I think they would make a good mix together, nothing wrong with bumping him up and giving him a chance. That's not a bad consolation prize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
I'd be surprised if it's anyone other than Chryst and Bowles at this point, but I doubt that announcement comes today.

ANthony Henry balled out for us for a few years.

Other news, Andrew Luck staying in school takes one player non-QB off the board before us. Damnit.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Garrett has final say over the roster/personnel.

Holy **** Jerry...*thumbs up*
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Morton
Veteran

Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton Morton

Quote:
Jason Garrett has final say over the roster/personnel.

Holy **** Jerry...*thumbs up*
Or so he says.

You know Jerry's going to be right there, whispering in his ear on draft day.
Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton View Post
Or so he says.

You know Jerry's going to be right there, whispering in his ear on draft day.
I agree, I think you need to consider the source on that one. I do think Jerrah has come down from thinking he's done an amazing job as GM, and realizes he needs help.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, this situation is different than most. Could Jerry have final say? Yeah sure, because he is the owner and has a big ego. However, Jones and the Garrett family have an excellent working relationship. Old man Garrett who is older than Jones worked as a scout for him.

3 of his sons are with the cowboys:

Jason
John
Judd

I would not be surprised if Jason has more control than coaches in recent memory. I also wouldn't be surprised if his dad came back or helped him in some capacity too. Let's put it this way, if there was a time for Jones to give up SOME of his control, Jason would be the guy because of the family connections to the organization and because of old man Garrett and Jones.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jerry will always have the final say whether he openly states it or not. It's all about how comfortable he feels Garrett's decisions are. I think he'll give him free reign unless there are some big mishaps. He'll probably want to have an ear on every decision, but I think that he won't challenge Garrett yet. I think he did the same thing with Wade except for things like trading up to get Dez.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Owners always have final say but they should know that many decisions are not really theirs to make .... that is part of logic to hiring people and paying them millions of dollars -- you trust them to make decisions with your money and if they don't produce you fire them. But you don't pay them millions to co-manage their work like Jerrah did with Wade.

I am liking JG more every day if what we hear is true. Going with young guys who are willing to work 100 hours per week. Fact is this team seem unprepared for the last few seasons and having intense practice-aholics is a great thing the more I think about it.

If I am Jerrah and I see the lights on as I drive by Valley Ranch at 11:00pm on April 19, 2011 and the the DC/OC/HC cars in the parking lots -- I swill another shot of Jack in a fit of satisfaction that my beeyotches are earning their keep.

Last edited by baghdadbob : 01-06-2011 at 03:37 PM.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Owners always have final say but they should know that many decisions are not really theirs to make .... that is part of logic to hiring people and paying them millions of dollars -- you trust them to make decisions with your money and if they don't produce you fire them. But you don't pay them millions to co-manage their work like Jerrah did with Wade.

I am liking JG more every day if what we hear is true. Going with young guys who are willing to work 100 hours per week. Fact is this team seem unprepared for the last few seasons and having intense practice-aholics is a great thing the more I think about it.

If I am Jerrah and I see the lights on as I drive by Valley Ranch at 11:00pm on April 19, 2011 and the the DC/OC/HC cars in the parking lots -- I swill another shot of Jack in a fit of satisfaction that my beeyotches are earning their keep.
I'm with you on learning to like JG more and more. I really liked when he referred back to his playing days in the 90's and the 'Cowboy Way', and how he wants to restore that pride to the franchise. Garrett really seems passionate about bringing the Cowboys back to the level we were at during the 90's runs, and I love that about him.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:27 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I'm with you on learning to like JG more and more. I really liked when he referred back to his playing days in the 90's and the 'Cowboy Way', and how he wants to restore that pride to the franchise. Garrett really seems passionate about bringing the Cowboys back to the level we were at during the 90's runs, and I love that about him.
The "Cowboy Way" comment was what got me most excited. I was already behind him, but yea. That and how he said training camp will be "hard, demanding, and will prepare them for 16 weeks of football".
Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

I really want him to get an OC. If he can't get Chryst then he should promote his brother or Sherman. He needs someone to help with the offensive gameplan so that he doesn't spend all his time with one side of the ball. Having a vet in the coaching staff would help ease the pains of being a young head coach. That's why I really wanted someone like Rob Ryan or Mike Nolan as the DC.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From garretts presser.

Quote:
Will you be the offensive coordinator?

Yes.
One thing that should be interesting is that Wes Phillips is the offensive quality control coach. I don't buy him being here next year...we will have opening on our staff. Just something to keep in mind.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From garretts presser.

One thing that should be interesting is that Wes Phillips is the offensive quality control coach. I don't buy him being here next year...we will have opening on our staff. Just something to keep in mind.
There goes running the ball more. LOL.

Expect the same ole, same ole on offense. Predictability and a lot of passing.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From garretts presser.

Hmmmm who would have thought? :roll:

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The "Cowboy Way" comment was what got me most excited. I was already behind him, but yea. That and how he said training camp will be "hard, demanding, and will prepare them for 16 weeks of football".
I agree, this was definately lacking with our team the past few years. I'm glad it won't be this camp cupcake stuff anymore, or no hitting, or practicing without pads. Maybe we do get more injuries, but I certainly think it'll be a welcomed change around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:20 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Just listened to the press conference. I am excited. The guy is a boss.

D-Unit, I think Garrett will run the ball more now. He understand's what needs to be done. It's way different as a head coach.

Besides, those pass happy days didn't include Dez Bryant. So with him on the field... I honestly don't care if we threw it every play.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

D-Unit, I think Garrett will run the ball more now. He understand's what needs to be done. It's way different as a head coach.

Besides, those pass happy days didn't include Dez Bryant. So with him on the field... I honestly don't care if we threw it every play.
If we patch up this offensive line, we'll be able to do whatever the hell we wanna do on offense.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

I'm not being a debbie downer. Garrett's offense works. Putting up points is not a problem. Stopping others from scoring is. Garrett's style is actually very "new school"... as this league is really becoming a passing friendly league. I just need to get used to passing on 3rd and short and in the redzone. lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not being a debbie downer. Garrett's offense works. Putting up points is not a problem. Stopping others from scoring is. Garrett's style is actually very "new school"... as this league is really becoming a passing friendly league. I just need to get used to passing on 3rd and short and in the redzone. lol.
Yea, I don't think folks realize the Cowboys haven't been lower than 13th offensively since Garrett started calling the plays. Some of his playcalling is questionable in certain situations, and I hate how he gets fancy and over thinks himself sometimes.

But overall...we're not the Redskins/Dolphins/Titans week in and week out struggling to put up points.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 01-07-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did he say who the DC was going to be?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote