Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
How though?

His defenses have ALWAYS been mediocre, and the BROWNS don't want him back...

Hes not rex.
Sometimes you have to look past numbers and actually check the schemes. Rob Ryan has never had good players during his stint with the Raiders or his time with the Browns, yet he always seemed to get the most out of his players. He invented the Amobea Defense, which is as genius as it gets. It's the most unique defense to ever be implemented at the NFL level.

Adjustments on the fly? Ryan used two entirely different defensive gameplans in seperate halves to confuse the **** out of Tom Brady and the Patriots, he held them to 14 points.

He was the first one to figure out Drew Brees and the Saints when he found out how much Brees had a problem with zone blitzes and dropping lineman, the result? Every NFL defense has used that as a blueprint when playing the Saints, but none have been able to repeat the results Ryan had.

His schemes are diverse as it gets and he will put his players in the best position to make plays. Ryan wants to attack and confuse opposing QBs, which is why he has had so much success against top teams in the league.

Ryan will have this defense playing like madmen for 60 minutes. He brings that blue collar mentality and treats gamedays like bar fights, it's just us against you.

Not to mention his connection with Nnamdi Asomugha and how he could sway him to coming here.

I would've signed him yesterday.

EDIT: Weren't you the guy who kept saying you hated Wade's "Just line up and play" defense? lol well Ryan is the total opposite, you should be thrilled.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob plays a ton of zone, and he's not as aggressive as you think. I've seen him rush 3, sometimes even 2 guys quite often.

He's good at mixing it up, but don't expect Rex Ryan. His scheme isn't as similar to Rex as people assume.

I think Rob is a good hire, but I think his resume isn't as good as it's perceived to be. He's bounced around a lot for a guy who's supposed to be a defensive genius.

A lot of staffs decided against keeping him around. And nobody was really knocking on his door this whole time, it didn't sound like many were that enthusiastic about bringing him on their staff. I'm just saying.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:46 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I agree with BBD, but if he hasn't had as good of players as we have, and he can help swing Asomugha to come here, I'm all for it.

And Finisher, the points about the patriots and saints are pretty good. Got me there.

I'll take him or the steelers guy as long as it's anything better than last year...
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:07 AM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Sometimes you have to look past numbers and actually check the schemes. Rob Ryan has never had good players during his stint with the Raiders or his time with the Browns, yet he always seemed to get the most out of his players. He invented the Amobea Defense, which is as genius as it gets. It's the most unique defense to ever be implemented at the NFL level.

Adjustments on the fly? Ryan used two entirely different defensive gameplans in seperate halves to confuse the **** out of Tom Brady and the Patriots, he held them to 14 points.

He was the first one to figure out Drew Brees and the Saints when he found out how much Brees had a problem with zone blitzes and dropping lineman, the result? Every NFL defense has used that as a blueprint when playing the Saints, but none have been able to repeat the results Ryan had.

His schemes are diverse as it gets and he will put his players in the best position to make plays. Ryan wants to attack and confuse opposing QBs, which is why he has had so much success against top teams in the league.

Ryan will have this defense playing like madmen for 60 minutes. He brings that blue collar mentality and treats gamedays like bar fights, it's just us against you.

Not to mention his connection with Nnamdi Asomugha and how he could sway him to coming here.

I would've signed him yesterday.

EDIT: Weren't you the guy who kept saying you hated Wade's "Just line up and play" defense? lol well Ryan is the total opposite, you should be thrilled.
He's been successful rebuilding defenses in Oakland & Cleveland. Although Dallas doesnt require a housecleaning or rebuilding, they do require a defensive makeover & a new attitude.

And as stated here before ad infinitum Rob Ryan is an instant cure for lack of toughness.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob Ryan is highly overrated.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just very glad that the job isn't being automatically given to Bowles. eegh.

If Rob Ryan is coming to Dallas for an interview, then I think he has a good chance to get the job. I'd be happy with that.

It doesn't seem like a Garrett move though. I think personalities would clash. Maybe it's just a PR move.

If we got Keith Butler, that would be a STEAL!

Last edited by D-Unit : 01-14-2011 at 12:27 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think our defense needs more of a make-over than what most of us may think. We need more quality depth at the DL, need help at ILB and I'd say all 4 starters in the secondary could be considered expendable. I do agree an attitude change is in store as well, but I feel some personnel changes need to be made. I'll take a true shutdown corner, ball hawking safety and depth at DL. That would be ideal.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:46 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Ryan but he's nowhere near the obvious, clear-cut, and IMHO best choice.... Dom Capers.

Contract is expiring, he has already worked with Garrett and from all indications they get along well, and he brings a pressure style defense that this team badly needs.

While Rob Ryan isn't a terrible choice his personality is a definite clash with Garrett and I can't see him being the choice in the end.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
I like Ryan but he's nowhere near the obvious, clear-cut, and IMHO best choice.... Dom Capers.

Contract is expiring, he has already worked with Garrett and from all indications they get along well, and he brings a pressure style defense that this team badly needs.

While Rob Ryan isn't a terrible choice his personality is a definite clash with Garrett and I can't see him being the choice in the end.
Capers contract is over after this season? I didn't know that.

He'd have to get more than just DC to come here though. DC + assistant HC or something like that. I do agree that Capers is a good DC who would work well with Garrett.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM1988 View Post
I agree that both coaches are very good canidates for the job, but the question remains what will happen with Jay Ratliff. Both coaches run 3-4 schemes based upon a traditional nose tackle. Even if Ratliff agrees to move to DE opposite of Bowen there is still a gaping hole at NT (no pun intended) unless Price-Brent is ready to make an impact on the field.
I keep forgetting about Ratliff. Last season showed that he's gotten figured out to the point to where he's a liability in the run game. Moving him to DE right now is the best bet no matter what he says. If that's the case then they should be looking for an NT while DE becomes less of a priority. Bowen showed that he can start, so I have faith in the guy. Ratliff probably could still be great at DE, and if that's the case you wouldn't need to target a DE early in the draft. I don't know if Brent's ready. He looked okay as a backup, but I would want them to sign someone to compete. Who is available?

Quote:

Wait, Capers' contract is up? I didn't know that at all. If he's willing I would sign him in a heartbeat.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I'm almost 100% positive Capers is locked up through 2011, I'll try to find a link. Even if wasn't, there's no reason to believe he wants to leave GB unless it's a HC gig, which we can't offer.

I'm also not so sure about Ryan's personality clashing with Garrett. You don't spend 4 years on Bill Belichick's staff if you're a loud mouth, not to mention Mangini (who's also a straight shooter) thought so highly of him in NE that he brought him to Cleveland to coach with him for the past 2 years. If Ryan can make it work under those staffs there shouldn't be a problem with him and Garrett, Rob doesn't seem to bring the type of circus Rex does.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rob Ryan did a lot of good things in Oakland, and had the Raiders FO had any type of vision and commitment to their roster, that could have been a dominant defense, but they messed it up by letting some guys get away and not adding the right pieces to the nucleus that they already had. As for his time in Cleveland...the Browns were spotty at best, but he didn't have great talent and there was some improvement. I think he's a very solid hire and with the talent on this team he could do some serious things.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Personalities clashing? What has the media done to you people? They are grown men, trying to win football games. That stuff doesn't mean ****.

If he is the best man for the job, Garrett will hire him. If he isn't, he won't.

Personalities clashing?... Stop watching ESPN.

SMH.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Dallas is finalizing a deal with Rob Ryan as we speak.

http://twitter.com/jay_glazer

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl...ory?id=6023366

Old 01-14-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Yup, here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I don't see why you guys have a boner over this, but i'll take it.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Yup, here you go:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

I don't see why you guys have a boner over this, but i'll take it.
You'll find out soon enough lol.

Seriously though, this was an excellent move by Garrett. I was becoming convinced he was only going to bring in guys that he was comfortable with, boy am I happy I was wrong!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

I think now that we know who our DC is, we can start to piece together what moves we'll be looking to make from a player standpoint. Ball and Sensy will not be starters for us in 2011, I can pretty much guarantee that. I'd say Dawan Landry in FA would be a good move for SS, he won't be that expensive and has been an important part of that Ravens defense the past 5 years, I think he gets overlooked there. He will bring a tough mentality to the defense and is the type of blitzing, in the box type-safety Ryan will want. Then we have to make it a point to land the best pure FS in the draft, who I think is Rahim Moore. He's got great range and we can just leave him deep, which would play to his strengths and cover up his weaknesses. We'd see an immediate change just from those 2 moves alone.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 01-15-2011 at 09:24 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:05 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Pre-FA:

Don't Resign:
Sensy- We need to upgrade and he isn't worth the money for a backup.
Spears- Won't be worth what he'll be asking, let some other team overpay for him.
Hatcher- Nice player but money can be better served elsewhere.
Alan Ball- Experimental project, good bye.
Alex Barron- Don't hit your *** on the way out.
Sam Hurd- Never be more that a 4th WR.

Resign:
Free- No Brainer
Kosier- Solid contributor and the continuity on the left side will be good for the development of Free.
Bowen- Solid role player.

Cuts:

Marion Barber- Run down.
Roy Williams- Save 30 Mil over the next 4 years.
Keith Brooking- Washed up.
Marc Colombo- Old and overpaid.
Leonard Davis- Old and overpaid.
Igot Olshansky- Wade's guy.

Restructure Terence Newman's deal. He is simply not good enough to receive the 10 mil per year he's making. If he doesn't want to then cut him, I still like him but not for that price.

Free Agency:

S, Dawan Landry- Will be relatively cheap and will bring a toughness to the defense. He was a starter his entire 5 year career at Baltimore and was a important part of their great defenses. In Ryan's 46/34 hybrid, he needs a physical blitzing safety. He is a smart veteran, only 28.

OT- Jermon Bushrod- Solid player for the Saints, has been a solid starter and is in the prime of his career. Won't cost too much and will be better served on the right side.

OG- Justin Blalock- Another great young player who was a stud for the Falcons. Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins will make his price lower than what it should be. Only 27.

* If we have enough money (dependant on if Newman restructures or is cut) then go after Nnamdi. We will have just enough money because of the cuts and non resignings but it will be tight.

Draft

Round 1- Marcell Dareus, DE, Alabama- You should all know about him by now.

Round 2- Rahim Moore, S, UCLA- In Ryan's scheme he needs his FS to be a deep centerfielder like Ed Reed is for Baltimore. Moore is exactly what we need and how we play him will match up with his strengths and hide his weaknesses.

Round 3- Traded to Cleveland for the rights to NT Ahtyba Rubin.

Round 4- John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin- Solid player who could eventually replace Kosier. Good backup option in case we run into injuries.

Round 5- Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU- Good depth, maybe eventual successor to Bradie James.

Round 6- Mike Blanc, DE/DT, Auburn- Although Nick Fairley got most of the press, Blanc was a desruptive force along that Auburn line. Nice roataional player.

Round 7- Greg Salas, WR, Hawaii- Might be gone by now, but a guy who is good at run after the catch and is sure handed. We need to get some depth for WR.

Offense
QB-Romo, Kitna, McGee
RB- Jones, Choice
FB- Gronkowski
TE-Witten, Marty B, Phillips
LT- Free,
LG- Kosier, Moffitt
C- Gurode,
RG- Blalock, Holland
RT- Bushrod, Young
WR- Miles, Dez, Ogletree, Salas

DE- Dareus, Blanc
DE- Ratliff, Bowen
NT- Rubin, Brent
OLB- Ware, Butler
OLB- Spencer, B. Williams
ILB- Bradie, Sheppard
ILB- Lee,
CB- Newman, Scandrick *Assuming we don't sign Aso.
CB- Jenkins, McCann
FS- Moore, McCray
SS- Landry, Church
Old 01-15-2011, 11:25 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I had Dareus, Moffitt and Blanc in those same spots yesterday. Glad we agree. :)

But Salas isn't lasting till the 7th.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM    (permalink
BAM1988
Rookie

BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.

I'm sorry I dont think signing Nnamdi Asomugha makes very much sense going foward. Yes, Aso is one of the few lock down corners in the league, yes he has a familarity with Ryan from Oakland, and yes he would upgade the CB position, but by how much? And at what cost? Aso may be targeting contenders as possible destinations, but im almost positive it isn't going to come at a discount. He will probably be working to get a contract similar to DeAngelo Hall's 6yr $55 million with a large amount guaranteed. Aso will be 30 by the time training camp rolls around and a similar contract would lock him up until the age of 36. I just can't justify him making that much of an impact in the 3-4 "Productive" years he has left in the tank to make that type of commitment.

Rob Ryan has made his mark as a defensive coach devising schemes to disguise coverages to PROTECT the secondary. Newman and Jenkins have flaws but both are more than capable of holding their own when coverages are mixed up. Both Newman and Jenkins thrive on the ability to keep their eyes in the backfield and making plays on the ball rather then being place on an island without help. Ryan's scheme will cater to those strengths and they should look 100% better then last year.

For that kind of spending I would prefer Jerry to target Haloti Ngata. Ngata is just turning 27 this month and is one of the rare impact NT in a 3-4 scheme. I think the combination of Bowen (possibly Dareus) and Ratliff at DE and the addition of Ngata at NT would elavate the d-line to elite status, maximizing Ware and Spencers pass russing ability off the ends. On the down side it would cost a pretty penny; his contract would have to be based of Suh's rookie contract, 6yrs $68 mil.
BAM1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I had Dareus, Moffitt and Blanc in those same spots yesterday. Glad we agree. :)

But Salas isn't lasting till the 7th.
You know what they say, great minds think alike. lol.
Gimme Dareus in Ryan's scheme 7 days of the week, and Moffitt and Blanc are guys who fit what we do as well. They will definitely be targeted by us.

And I just threw Salas' name out there bc I'm not too familiar with the late round WRs, but I think we need to grab one if we let go of Roy and Hurd like I had. Although I wouldn't be upset if Ogletree was our 3rd WR, but behind him would be nothing.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM1988 View Post
I'm sorry I dont think signing Nnamdi Asomugha makes very much sense going foward. Yes, Aso is one of the few lock down corners in the league, yes he has a familarity with Ryan from Oakland, and yes he would upgade the CB position, but by how much? And at what cost? Aso may be targeting contenders as possible destinations, but im almost positive it isn't going to come at a discount. He will probably be working to get a contract similar to DeAngelo Hall's 6yr $55 million with a large amount guaranteed. Aso will be 30 by the time training camp rolls around and a similar contract would lock him up until the age of 36. I just can't justify him making that much of an impact in the 3-4 "Productive" years he has left in the tank to make that type of commitment.

Rob Ryan has made his mark as a defensive coach devising schemes to disguise coverages to PROTECT the secondary. Newman and Jenkins have flaws but both are more than capable of holding their own when coverages are mixed up. Both Newman and Jenkins thrive on the ability to keep their eyes in the backfield and making plays on the ball rather then being place on an island without help. Ryan's scheme will cater to those strengths and they should look 100% better then last year.

For that kind of spending I would prefer Jerry to target Haloti Ngata. Ngata is just turning 27 this month and is one of the rare impact NT in a 3-4 scheme. I think the combination of Bowen (possibly Dareus) and Ratliff at DE and the addition of Ngata at NT would elavate the d-line to elite status, maximizing Ware and Spencers pass russing ability off the ends. On the down side it would cost a pretty penny; his contract would have to be based of Suh's rookie contract, 6yrs $68 mil.
Dude... talking about Ngata in Dallas is more than a wild fantasy.

I have doubts about Aso's age vs cost too, but this is the NFL. Is Newman going to make his scheduled $9M next year? Is Roy Williams gonna fulfill his 6 year, 54M deal? You can't let your eyes believe the dollar signs on his contract. When guys are no longer worth it, they get cut. I'm sure Aso will earn whatever bonus money he gets. We NEED lockdown corners in this defense, because Ryan actually leaves them quite vulnerable. I disagree with you about how he "protects" them. His D is designed to shutdown the run. ...which is a scary thing in today's high passing NFL.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM    (permalink
BAM1988
Rookie

BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.BAM1988 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Dude... talking about Ngata in Dallas is more than a wild fantasy.

I have doubts about Aso's age vs cost too, but this is the NFL. Is Newman going to make his scheduled $9M next year? Is Roy Williams gonna fulfill his 6 year, 54M deal? You can't let your eyes believe the dollar signs on his contract. When guys are no longer worth it, they get cut. I'm sure Aso will earn whatever bonus money he gets. We NEED lockdown corners in this defense, because Ryan actually leaves them quite vulnerable. I disagree with you about how he "protects" them. His D is designed to shutdown the run. ...which is a scary thing in today's high passing NFL.
Rob Ryan is not his father or Rex; his defense isn't a high blitzing pressure defense like the 46 or base 3-4. The Amoeba defense's pressure scheme is based off of pre-snap movement to free up the best passrushers and then confusing the QB with complex ZONE COVERAGE. Im not against adding a ASO if everything is front loaded and they consider moving Newman to FS. If not, Newman/Jenkins fit fine and will be better suited in this scheme compared to last season where they were line up 10 yards off the ball playing man coverage.

If anything there needs to be an upgrade to the ILB to better suite the need to drop in coverage and most definately an upgrade at both safety positions but im sure we agree on that.

Last edited by BAM1988 : 01-15-2011 at 05:18 PM.
BAM1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

I wonder if any assistants will follow Rob to Dallas? Maybe we can get Bryan Cox over here too....
Old 01-15-2011, 06:03 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To Whoever said draft Kelvin Shephard from LSU - Please do not suggest that. Shephard is TERRIBLE. He runs around blockers. He does not stand them up. He'll be awful in the NFL and even worse in a 3-4 ILB role.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote