Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Jenkins to me looked like he would always fall to keep from being embarrassed. It's like he knew he was about to get beat so he'd just eat some dirt and act like he slipped. His problem is all in how hard he plays. He's got incredible talent, but he needs to keep his head in the game. I think Ryan needs to be really hard on him on top of making him feel that his job is threatened. Remember that he seemed to really turn it on when Scandrick was threatening to start over him in 09? He really got his **** straight then.
The funny thing about Jenkins is people will knock him for not trying hard. But I don't really buy that. I mean sure he is a soft player...he will shy from contact with a player running at him with steam. But that said anyone else remember the eagles game where newman got beat and he made the tackle on Hall.

Jump to 35 second mark.

He make the tackle 40 yards down field on the other side of the field. Maybe D is right and he only tries when the games are close...but that play erased a lot of bad thoughts in my head about him.

He is aggressive and soft. I think you have to take the good with the bad. I expect him to come back and improve this year. But maybe i'm just a blind homer.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 AM    (permalink
UTPATS
Veteran

UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UTPATS is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
The funny thing about Jenkins is people will knock him for not trying hard. But I don't really buy that. I mean sure he is a soft player...he will shy from contact with a player running at him with steam. But that said anyone else remember the eagles game where newman got beat and he made the tackle on Hall.

He make the tackle 40 yards down field on the other side of the field. Maybe D is right and he only tries when the games are close...but that play erased a lot of bad thoughts in my head about him.

He is aggressive and soft. I think you have to take the good with the bad. I expect him to come back and improve this year. But maybe i'm just a blind homer.
He is still a fairly young player. I mean he will be 26 this season, Newman came into the league at 25. I think this year shocked him a bit but he will be back and be a solid guy for us for the future. Safety help will be will nice though. Obviously we need some secondary help, either at safety or corner or both. The question is, how do we approach that this off-season?
UTPATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anybody know what happened to MOTH?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:46 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everytime I watch Mendenhall play I hate Felix Jones just a little bit more.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Plus rep please...

I got in alittle over my head on the michael vick argument. oh well.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Everytime I watch Mendenhall play I hate Felix Jones just a little bit more.
Lol I know I know. Mendy, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, everyone is out there on the field actually doing it while Felix still has "potential" at least :( It's ridiculous. Mendy has a big fumble but he's a boss, we could have easily found a compliment to him and honestly it wouldn't even have to be a scat back, I'd gladly take a Mendy/Choice backfield even if they are similiar.

Still if you want a 3rd down RB it's the easiest thing to find. If we would actually cut Barber we could get more of a sampling from Felix and see what he can do, but I don't think were ever gonna get what we see from Chris Johnson & Jamaal Charles for a full season. Call me crazy. Which is why I'd rather give Choice his 18 carries and compliment Felix to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Lol I know I know. Mendy, Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles, everyone is out there on the field actually doing it while Felix still has "potential" at least :( It's ridiculous. Mendy has a big fumble but he's a boss, we could have easily found a compliment to him and honestly it wouldn't even have to be a scat back, I'd gladly take a Mendy/Choice backfield even if they are similiar.

Still if you want a 3rd down RB it's the easiest thing to find. If we would actually cut Barber we could get more of a sampling from Felix and see what he can do, but I don't think were ever gonna get what we see from Chris Johnson & Jamaal Charles for a full season. Call me crazy. Which is why I'd rather give Choice his 18 carries and compliment Felix to him.
Felix is what he is, someone you want to get in space and let him make a play. He never struck me as one of those backs who gets better with more carries throughout a game, a rhythm runner. Felix is a weapon, give him 10 or so touches a game and see if he can pop one or two. This year we tried to turn him into something he's not.

We need a guy who's going to wear down a defense throughout the game, 4,5,6 yards a clip and finishes his runs while still a threat to occasionally rip off a big one. Maybe Choice can be that guy, but like you said he's a wildcard right now. Plus we don't even know how the coaching staff feels about him, it took injuries to even get him on the field this year and it's not like our running game was a force to be wreckoned with.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-07-2011 at 12:08 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man watching the Packers win the Super Bowl should really piss off the Cowboys right now. The NFC was wide open this year, and if they played like they gave a damn they might have had a chance. This year was all about getting hot at the right time, but the 2010 Cowboys lagged their asses off and only got hot when their jobs were in jeopardy. Maybe it'll be like the 2009 season where they don't feel themselves too much and stay focused. No one predicted they'd be good in 09 after the disastrous end to 08, so they weren't the media darlings.

Next year there will be a lot to prove, so I'm hoping that the guys will pull it together and actually play the whole season. I can tell that Romo cares because in an interview with SI he seemed so upset about not being able to play for the Super Bowl. I feel so bad for the guy because he's always blamed when it's not even close to being his fault at all. He's become a great QB in his development. He doesn't turn the ball over much anymore, he spreads the ball out to give everyone a shot, and he always makes plays when the team needs it. Of course people don't pay attention to that at all. They just see the team struggling and blame the QB, but quarterbacks can't stop the defense from scoring 35 points in 10 minutes. Quarterbacks can't block for the running game. It's a team game, and even though the QB is doing everything he needs to do he can't fix all the holes neglected by the coaching staff and front office.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Packers won the SB because Rodgers is a brilliant QB mostly though. Look at how many points they were scoring, and they didn't even have their best receiving threat in Jermichael Finley. Romo isn't gonna play that well, so we need more of a team effort.

I think Romo has done well enough to win each time, and I can't fault him for not playing flawlessly everytime. One thing I want to see from Garrett, is structuring the plays, and the offense around our capabilities of the offensive line. See: Chicago and Green Bay.

Remember it wasn't that long ago people considered these two teams to have terrible offensive lines(Chicago may still be in that boat), but the short drop backs, quick passing, spread the field plays helped. You can't keep dropping back 5-7 steps and waiting for Austin to get downfield. We don't have to live off of it, but Romo is certainly accurate enough to pick teams apart this way, and our line would be the only thing to hold us back.

Either way, if Romo were to play as good as Rodgers down the stretch nothing else would matter. Every NFC with a franchise QB could make that statement so it's not saying much. I just hate that Romo catches alot of the blame for what happens when he's been a damn good QB, and clutch alot of times. His delivery is probably faster then Rodgers, if Garrett really takes the next step with this offense here and getting Dez acclimated there is no reason we shouldn't go far.

Also keep in mind if NY doesn't fold vs Philly GB probably doesn't even make the playoffs, so just goes to show how it's always a complete crap shoot and it takes a ton of things to go right in your favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Felix Jones doesn't get better with more carries people. He's a change of pace back and he NEEDS to get back on Kick off returns. Punt returns can stay with Dez.

I don't get mad at Felix when I see Mendenhall. I get mad when I see Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles. Those are 2 guys I wanted more.

That said our running game is fine. It's good enough to win the SB with. Our offense is good enough to win the SB with. I'd even say that our front 7 is good enough to win the SB with.

It's our secondary that's holding us back... BIG TIME. It's clear to me that we need 2 new staring Safties and at least 1 new CB.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Felix Jones doesn't get better with more carries people. He's a change of pace back and he NEEDS to get back on Kick off returns. Punt returns can stay with Dez.

I don't get mad at Felix when I see Mendenhall. I get mad when I see Chris Johnson and Jamaal Charles. Those are 2 guys I wanted more.

That said our running game is fine. It's good enough to win the SB with. Our offense is good enough to win the SB with. I'd even say that our front 7 is good enough to win the SB with.

It's our secondary that's holding us back... BIG TIME. It's clear to me that we need 2 new staring Safties and at least 1 new CB.
Agreed with everything except the bolded part. Romo is not Rodgers or Brady where he can carry the load by himself, he's at his best when he has a good ground game to ease the pressure off him. We're severely lacking in the run game and we won't win until we turn it around. That's just asking too much of Romo.

Now whether JG decides if it's as simple as getting a new lineman or upgrading the RB position as well remains to be seen.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Agreed with everything except the bolded part. Romo is not Rodgers or Brady where he can carry the load by himself, he's at his best when he has a good ground game to ease the pressure off him. We're severely lacking in the run game and we won't win until we turn it around. That's just asking too much of Romo.

Now whether JG decides if it's as simple as getting a new lineman or upgrading the RB position as well remains to be seen.
Well we'll just disagree about that. I'll stick to the idea that I think our RBs are good enough and that Romo can lead this team to scoring drives in clutch. What I've had issues with in the past is the OL performance and Jason Garrett's shoddy playcalling.

But even inspite that, I think we can score enough to win if our defense can hold opponents in check. It all starts up front with our NT play and then our Secondary.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:54 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well we'll just disagree about that. I'll stick to the idea that I think our RBs are good enough and that Romo can lead this team to scoring drives in clutch. What I've had issues with in the past is the OL performance and Jason Garrett's shoddy playcalling.

But even inspite that, I think we can score enough to win if our defense can hold opponents in check. It all starts up front with our NT play and then our Secondary.
It's that train of thinking that led us to this magical season.

We won't get to where we want to be without a good ground game on offense.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-07-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree. I think our offense with a few tweaks on the OL is good enough. We also need a few tweaks on defense, mainly in the secondary.

Let's not forget, the Pack were very close to not making it into the playoffs this year. They got hot at the right time. Also, remember back to how their defense finished the year last year. Our defense is not that far away if we make a few shrewd moves this offseason. I'm hoping we made one already in Ryan.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:30 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:

I disagree, I'm siding with D-Unit on this one.

Romo is fine. He arguably is better than Rodgers and Big Ben with his escapeability, that play he made against the Falcons 2 years ago... come on, man!

Romo is fine, and our RB's are good enough to win a superbowl, its all about the o-line. Dez, Witten, and Miles all could be Ring of honer type players, and Witten is a future HOF'er still in his prime.

We need to stop big plays on the back end, and atleast an average OL.

Therefore D-Unit is spot on with that, and in need of the secondary.

Michael Huff, FTW!
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's that train of thinking that led us to this magical season.

We won't get to where we want to be without a good ground game on offense.
Actually, no it's not. I don't even know how you could justify that. I mentioned OL performance was unacceptable. Romo going down proves that. I don't know how you could blame Romo for this "magical season". Give me a better line and I guarantee you see better play out of our RBs too. Add to the fact that our best RB never got the playing time he deserved! I don't know how you can say our season was because of our running game. Every time Choice has gotten the ball, he proved that he was fully capable of making things happen. Next season when he is given more of an opportunity, then that will open your eyes perhaps. Right now, I guess you don't see it.

Kosier is done. Gurode still can't pass protect and he still lacks the intelligence needed for the position. Davis is a slob. ...and Colombo was the worst of them all!

Things need to be revamped on that OL. FA offers a lot. Hopefully we take advantage.

Speaking of things that caused our magical season... the fact that Jerry ignored signing Otogwe because Wade believed in Ball was a critical mistake.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Actually, no it's not. I don't even know how you could justify that. I mentioned OL performance was unacceptable. Romo going down proves that. I don't know how you could blame Romo for this "magical season". Give me a better line and I guarantee you see better play out of our RBs too. Add to the fact that our best RB never got the playing time he deserved! I don't know how you can say our season was because of our running game. Every time Choice has gotten the ball, he proved that he was fully capable of making things happen. Next season when he is given more of an opportunity, then that will open your eyes perhaps. Right now, I guess you don't see it.

Kosier is done. Gurode still can't pass protect and he still lacks the intelligence needed for the position. Davis is a slob. ...and Colombo was the worst of them all!

Things need to be revamped on that OL. FA offers a lot. Hopefully we take advantage.

Speaking of things that caused our magical season... the fact that Jerry ignored signing Otogwe because Wade believed in Ball was a critical mistake.
We got off to a 1-5 start because we couldn't run the football and we were trying to shoulder all of the load on Romo to make up for it. He's not good enough to win big games by himself. We were throwing the football 50 times a game in the beginning of the season and look where that got us! The teams that got away with that and won recently were the Patriots, Colts, and now the Packers because they're QB play was so dominant they couuld lean on them.

No **** things need to be revamped on the OL, my whole argument is we need a good running game to get where we want to be. I'm not blaming Romo for this magical season (which is what you want to allude to) but this season proves more than anything that unless we give him a ground game then we won't win.

After how things went in the first 7 weeks how can you want to go back out on offense and do the same thing next year? Come on dude! Get this guy a ground game and we'll have no trouble on offense, put the load on him and watch us crumble again. Simple as that.

I love Romo just as much as anyone, but to ask him to do what Peyton Manning or Tom Brady do for their team is just unrealistic, he's not on that level.

And with Choice, forgive me if I'm cautious about being willing to hand the reins over to an unproven guy. That's how things like Alan Ball and Troy Hambrick happen.

EDIT: 3.7 YPC on 66 touches, not sure where he blew you away this season?

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-07-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I disagree, I'm siding with D-Unit on this one.

Romo is fine. He arguably is better than Rodgers and Big Ben with his escapeability, that play he made against the Falcons 2 years ago... come on, man!

Romo is fine, and our RB's are good enough to win a superbowl, its all about the o-line. Dez, Witten, and Miles all could be Ring of honer type players, and Witten is a future HOF'er still in his prime.

We need to stop big plays on the back end, and atleast an average OL.

Therefore D-Unit is spot on with that, and in need of the secondary.

Michael Huff, FTW!
I don't see where I criticized Romo, all I said was that he needs a ground game to get where we want to be. Saying that he's not Brady or Peyton are far from criticisms.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
We got off to a 1-5 start because we couldn't run the football and we were trying to shoulder all of the load on Romo to make up for it. He's not good enough to win big games by himself. We were throwing the football 50 times a game in the beginning of the season and look where that got us! The teams that got away with that and won recently were the Patriots, Colts, and now the Packers because they're QB play was so dominant they couuld lean on them.

No **** things need to be revamped on the OL, my whole argument is we need a good running game to get where we want to be. I'm not blaming Romo for this magical season (which is what you want to allude to) but this season proves more than anything that unless we give him a ground game then we won't win.

After how things went in the first 7 weeks how can you want to go back out on offense and do the same thing next year? Come on dude! Get this guy a ground game and we'll have no trouble on offense, put the load on him and watch us crumble again. Simple as that.

I love Romo just as much as anyone, but to ask him to do what Peyton Manning or Tom Brady do for their team is just unrealistic, he's not on that level.

And with Choice, forgive me if I'm cautious about being willing to hand the reins over to an unproven guy. That's how things like Alan Ball and Troy Hambrick happen.

EDIT: 3.7 YPC on 66 touches, not sure where he blew you away this season?
With the logic you have on not trusting the guys we develop, then you must not have been a fan of Miles Austin and Doug Free getting a chance to start... and I can't accept that every unproven guy is the next Alan Ball or Troy Hambrick. Why don't you trust Choice? Because he wasn't a 1st round pick?

I hear your cry for a better run game, but the difference is you want an upgrade at RB, like Mark Ingram. I'm saying that our horses are strong enough. The problem lies within the weak play of our OL.

I would tie our losing early in the season to bad OL play and a HC who lost the team's respect.

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game

Same OL, Better RB = Same Running game
Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I don't see where I criticized Romo, all I said was that he needs a ground game to get where we want to be. Saying that he's not Brady or Peyton are far from criticisms.
Well, you're basically saying that Romo needs to be surrounded by good RBs or he's not gonna win games.

I disagree because we've seen him pass his way to Cowboys victories, absent of good RB play.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
With the logic you have on not trusting the guys we develop, then you must not have been a fan of Miles Austin and Doug Free getting a chance to start... and I can't accept that every unproven guy is the next Alan Ball or Troy Hambrick. Why don't you trust Choice? Because he wasn't a 1st round pick?

I hear your cry for a better run game, but the difference is you want an upgrade at RB, like Mark Ingram. I'm saying that our horses are strong enough. The problem lies within the weak play of our OL.

I would tie our losing early in the season to bad OL play and a HC who lost the team's respect.

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game

Same OL, Better RB = Same Running game
I never saw it in Choice and felt he was always a little overrated by us, just never did anything to lead me to believe he could be a lead back. He was a solid 3rd down back for us at times, but I think he lacks vision. As far as Miles and Free go, I was always a Miles fan (I did a PG in Monmouth) but more bc he was a local guy so I had that bias. Free I had no idea what to expect and was scared as hell.

I think we're going to upgrade the OL no matter what we do at the running back position, so you're chart above should look like this:

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game (although not saying much)

Better OL, Better RB = Most Excellent Running game

I think 2 years from now we're all going to be cursing the Felix pick, that's how poorly I think of him. I really can't stand him, he dances too much and doesn't run down hill.

I am a huge Ingram fan and would LOVE if he came here, we need more guys with that type of heart.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:48 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well, you're basically saying that Romo needs to be surrounded by good RBs or he's not gonna win games.

I disagree because we've seen him pass his way to Cowboys victories, absent of good RB play.
I want an upgrade over what we currently have.

Exactly how many playoff wins came that way?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I never saw it in Choice and felt he was always a little overrated by us, just never did anything to lead me to believe he could be a lead back. He was a solid 3rd down back for us at times, but I think he lacks vision. As far as Miles and Free go, I was always a Miles fan (I did a PG in Monmouth) but more bc he was a local guy so I had that bias. Free I had no idea what to expect and was scared as hell.

I think we're going to upgrade the OL no matter what we do at the running back position, so you're chart above should look like this:

Better OL, Same RB = Better Running game (although not saying much)

Better OL, Better RB = Most Excellent Running game

I think 2 years from now we're all going to be cursing the Felix pick, that's how poorly I think of him. I really can't stand him, he dances too much and doesn't run down hill.

I am a huge Ingram fan and would LOVE if he came here, we need more guys with that type of heart.
The real truth of the matter is that you are a fan of Ingram and thus your words will back up anything to the point that getting him will improve the team. So your views are basically based of a bias opinion on Ingram love.

What you're not looking at is the fact that using a pick on him will reduce the chance we have of improving other weaknesses on the team. I just don't see the significant improvement in upgrading our RBs would bring as much as improving our OL, DL or Secondary would bring using that pick.

You can downplay me saying that a better OL would equal a better running game, but that's the damn truth of the matter. Better OL play would also improve pass protection for Romo as well.

RB is far from the top of our needs list. We need to address Secondary first and foremost, then DL (because it goes hand in hand in improving our secondary), then OL.

RB would be a luxury cost that we can't afford. Once Garrett took over we scored more than enough to win, and we did win. We went 5-3 and in our 3 losses we lost by 3 points or less! We put up offensive scores of 33, 35, 27, 38, 27, 33, 26 and 14 (in a win). Getting Ingram is an unnecessary cost. Our offense still has fire power to score. We MUST address our ability to stop the pass. THAT is first and foremost. ...and that includes improving our pass rush as well as improving our talent in the secondary.

RB is waaaay down the list.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I want an upgrade over what we currently have.

Exactly how many playoff wins came that way?
How do you tie our lack of playoff wins to Romo not having good RBs around him?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope you guys don't mind me giving my two cents but taking Mark Ingram would be as dumb as the Bills taking CJ Spiller last season...it'd be a luxury pick that your team can't afford to make given their other holes, most notably along the offensive line; Ingram could be the best back ever and if he doesn't have five guys who can block worth a damn then he's going nowhere. And I'm not suggesting that you'll go offensive line in the first round but you'll look to fill the holes in the secondary or maybe add a pass rusher because this draft is loaded with them.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote