Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I don't see where I criticized Romo, all I said was that he needs a ground game to get where we want to be. Saying that he's not Brady or Peyton are far from criticisms.
While I'd love for him to be Brady, I'm glad he isn't Peyton. I want to win in the playoffs..
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whoa... Romo can't win without better RBs? Get out of here. Romo can't win if his wide outs drop and tip balls into DBs hands. He had 2 INTs you could credit him with while Austin looked like he was playing volleyball instead of catching the ball. If you want to close your eyes and point to the past fair enough but to blindly drop Romo is unfair.

D-Unit is 100% correct on this. Fix the line giving Romo protection = wins in and of itself. Try covering Miles, Dez, Witten, 3rd WR (Roy/Ogletree/FA/Draftee, and even Felix out of the backfield) for a few more seconds... I'll take that match-up all day. When defenses have to worry about strong pass protection and explosive play-makers all of a sudden we can bring back the draw (arguably our best running play) and PA passing. It's a lot easier for a RB to make plays when we force their safeties to play deep and well off the line.

Felix / Choice / Mid-Late rounder (not a fan of Miller) would easily be enough with an improved o-line.

You know what Ingram brings to a team that can't open holes? A different guy to run into the back of lineman and face-first into untouched linebackers.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
How do you tie our lack of playoff wins to Romo not having good RBs around him?
No ground game in our playoff losses, and we had to throw the ball 50 times. It's equally on the OLine and Backs.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
No ground game in our playoff losses, and we had to throw the ball 50 times. It's equally on the OLine and Backs.
Not sure if I blame the RBs for the number of times Garrett called "pass".
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I hope you guys don't mind me giving my two cents but taking Mark Ingram would be as dumb as the Bills taking CJ Spiller last season...it'd be a luxury pick that your team can't afford to make given their other holes, most notably along the offensive line; Ingram could be the best back ever and if he doesn't have five guys who can block worth a damn then he's going nowhere. And I'm not suggesting that you'll go offensive line in the first round but you'll look to fill the holes in the secondary or maybe add a pass rusher because this draft is loaded with them.
Noticed your Cam Heyward sig... Haven't been able to fall in love with him myself, but I did hear recently that he's been working out with Demarcus Ware. Ware has been tutoring him and mentoring him throughout this draft process. I wonder if that will have any effect on Heyward having a shot with the Cowboys... I doubt it, but from listening to Ware, it sounds like he would love to play with Heyward.

Why do you like Heyward so much?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hope you guys don't mind me giving my two cents but taking Mark Ingram would be as dumb as the Bills taking CJ Spiller last season...it'd be a luxury pick that your team can't afford to make given their other holes, most notably along the offensive line; Ingram could be the best back ever and if he doesn't have five guys who can block worth a damn then he's going nowhere. And I'm not suggesting that you'll go offensive line in the first round but you'll look to fill the holes in the secondary or maybe add a pass rusher because this draft is loaded with them.

I love outsider opinions.

For the record I already said it would be a stupid pick but you can't compare that situation to the Bills. The Bills are an attrocious team, they need a ton of positions and are likely a top 10 team a few more years, we have holes in a few key spots but are not even close to as bad as Buffalo is.

Ingram is gonna be a special player, I personally think HOF/All-Pro type player. You can't argue with those picks even if it's a position not needed. These picks are always perceived "stupid" at the time, and I'd probably be pissed too, but in hindsight 3 years later when Ingram looks like 1 of the better RB's in the NFL, and the 2 DE's we were considering are complete bust then what was the right pick?

Taking a bust at a position of need, or an all-pro at a position you don't need? I know you shouldn't look at it like we would draft a bust, but it's possible, and I know we don't need a RB but it's not like we would suck more because we have a better player.

I don't think we'll take him anyway, we are picking too high and there are some really good options at DE and O-line in the 10-20 range, Ingram probably goes early 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
While I'd love for him to be Brady, I'm glad he isn't Peyton. I want to win in the playoffs..

Yea. That makes a bunch of sense. Because Romo has won way more then Peyton has in the post-season. Oh wait.....

I forgot you like to use double standards. You criticize other QB's around the league and bash them like no other, yet when it comes to Romo it's all good and never his fault. For the record I'm not saying it is, but that's why people call you a homer. You take one stance for other guys but when it comes to Cowboy players the same doesn't count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Noticed your Cam Heyward sig... Haven't been able to fall in love with him myself, but I did hear recently that he's been working out with Demarcus Ware. Ware has been tutoring him and mentoring him throughout this draft process. I wonder if that will have any effect on Heyward having a shot with the Cowboys... I doubt it, but from listening to Ware, it sounds like he would love to play with Heyward.

Wow that's pretty cool about Ware, didn't know that. We could easily get Heyward. Funny that I don't like him more then Dareus but he's a safer pick. With his strength, and intangibles, I also see him as a guy who is going to be a good pro, may not have the things that jump out at you to make him a top 5-10 pick but I'd feel like we picked up a future pro bowler. I'd have no problem with him if we can at least move back 5 or so picks.

Guess it depends on what Rob Ryan likes in a DE, or if he likes him as much as Ware.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just for the record, I'm not trying to campaign for Ingram at 9. Maybe if we were able to trade out and the situation was right it could work out, but not with how our picks are right now.

Another Running Back who will be available much later who I think will be a stud as well is Delone Carter. That's a bit of a homer pick for me but if you like Ingram as a prospect you'll love Carter's value later on. Tough, tough runner.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

We gave up a league worst 33 passing TDs last season. Can we stop talking about taking a RB in Round 1?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's Cameron Jordan, not Heyward haha

He's one of the strongest players in this draft and as shown during the Senior Bowl week he can simply overpower the guy opposite of him. He has some solid, not spectacular, pass rushing moves, and I think he rates at the top of the class in terms of how he uses his hands.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It's Cameron Jordan, not Heyward haha

He's one of the strongest players in this draft and as shown during the Senior Bowl week he can simply overpower the guy opposite of him. He has some solid, not spectacular, pass rushing moves, and I think he rates at the top of the class in terms of how he uses his hands.
Ahhh! Brain fart!
Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

So is it still Cameron Heyward who worked out with Ware?

Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
This^^^ lol I am confused. Is he lifting with Jordan or Heyward?

Oh and LL, sorry i'm not the biggest manning supporter.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Me neither, I honestly get tired of trying to support Romo because it's sad for as well as he's played you still have silly fans trying to say get rid of him. He can win us a SB I'm not worried. But he still hasn't really proved anything in the playoffs, and we need him to step up his play if he gets us there.

On the flip token, hard to bash guys like Vick and Peyton if we want to give Romo a pass. Both have done more then Romo in the playoffs.

Quote:
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Yup. It's on an EPSN Podcast. Try doing a search for Dallas Cowboys. I think that's how I found it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Me neither, I honestly get tired of trying to support Romo because it's sad for as well as he's played you still have silly fans trying to say get rid of him. He can win us a SB I'm not worried. But he still hasn't really proved anything in the playoffs, and we need him to step up his play if he gets us there.

On the flip token, hard to bash guys like Vick and Peyton if we want to give Romo a pass. Both have done more then Romo in the playoffs.
It's going to be a long time before Romo gets replaced boys. We can win the SB if we make the right moves this offseason. Big IF. We haven't been aggressive in FA since Parcells first decided to move us to the 3-4. Since then, we haven't done ****. Partly because we've had to extend our own players, but still. To say we've had underwhelming and frustrating FA offseasons in the last few years is an understatement.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Quote:

But Romo has played in 4 playoff games. He played fine in seattle (the hold is a ******* joke), he was average against the giants in '07, he pooped on the eagles, and john elway in his prime couldn't have done anything in minnesota with that offensive line showing.

When Romo has lost as much as Vick and Manning, then i'll put him in that category. The sample size is too small for now.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Those guys have led more teams to the playoffs, it's only natural for them to have more playoff losses. I agree with how he's played though, most of the time it's been good enough to win games and as bad as Minnesota was he was hammered.

Like I said before I put alot of that on Garrett, hopefully he'll change things up and throw some quicker passes in the gameplan. I hope it's not another long season of strange play-calling.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2011, 03:59 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Looks like Campo is officially gone, Jason LaCanfora tweeted that Ray Horton has been hired to be our new DBs coach. Great move.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:02 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Ray Horton, can I have some insight on that?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I just looked at his twitter, the cardinals are pursuing him too.

Not a done deal at all.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I just looked at his twitter, the cardinals are pursuing him too.

Not a done deal at all.
lol yea he just tweeted this after he said it was a done deal.

"Need to clear up last tweet. Ray Horton has offers on table to be Dallas DBs coach, and also has offer to be Arizona's D coordinator ..."

Sigh.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Expect him to go to Zona.

But we did get our DL coach. A rah rah guy in Brian Baker... from Carolina... a 4-3 guy. Thought that was a bit mysterious, but whatevers.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:31 PM    (permalink
Del1sle
Rookie

Del1sle hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Anyone high on the little guys at safety?
I wouldn't mind Ahmad Black or Jeron Johnson playing for Dallas next year.
Del1sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:07 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Shaun Rogers just released by Cleveland, do we make a play?

Rogers, Ratliff, Dareus.......

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-09-2011 at 05:14 PM.