Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a Shaun Rogers-type is what we need, but does he have anything left in the tank?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del1sle View Post
Anyone high on the little guys at safety?
I wouldn't mind Ahmad Black or Jeron Johnson playing for Dallas next year.
Gotta love the influx of new Cowboys posters. Welcome Del1sle!

As for Black and Johnson.. yeah, wouldn't mind either being here. Worth a try in the mid rounds... But I wouldn't expect a dramatic improvement either.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I think a Shaun Rogers-type is what we need, but does he have anything left in the tank?
That's the BIG question. If anyone knows it's our guy Rob. If we don't go for him, then he's done.

I would love to get him cheap though. Even if he's depth.

Still... I say Kenrick Ellis. ;)
Old 02-09-2011, 05:26 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
That's the BIG question. If anyone knows it's our guy Rob. If we don't go for him, then he's done.

I would love to get him cheap though. Even if he's depth.

Still... I say Kenrick Ellis. ;)
I read some quotes from Rob over the summer where he really spoke highly of Rogers, even threw a Reggie White comparison in there. I don't know the whole story of what happened in Cleveland this year and why Rogers lost his starting job but you're right if anyone knows if he's still got it, it's Rob.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Rogers was trash last year.

Now, maybe playing in Texas (his home state) and actually playing for a team that can compete instead of the Lions and Browns, maybe he could be a decent addition.

I wouldn't really care either way, he hurt more than helped the browns las t year. He was badddd.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Rogers was trash last year.

Now, maybe playing in Texas (his home state) and actually playing for a team that can compete instead of the Lions and Browns, maybe he could be a decent addition.

I wouldn't really care either way, he hurt more than helped the browns las t year. He was badddd.
That was the general perception, but here's what another Cowboys fan from Cleveland had to say about him on another board.

Quote:
1. The guy wasn't outright benched. He was injured, which gave a younger player a chance to start. That younger player, Athyba Rubin, proved his worth so they kept Rodgers coming off the bench.

2. The guy barely played NT for the Browns last year. Rubin played virtually every 1st and 2nd down potential run possession. Rodgers was brought in at Left and right DE in the Brown's 3-4 scheme, goal and short yardage packages and virtually every passing down.

3. When he was on the field, he usually wasn't 2 gapping like the rest of their linemen and was shooting his gap/slant/ causing havoc in the backfield.

4. He still was impossible to push off his spot. You can say he doesn't have the mindset of a 2 gap NT but he's still a space eater by nature.

5. He took over the games were the Browns had those improbable wins against the Saints and Pats. Saints game especially, he had hits on Brees that and total disruption that won them that game. The pick Brees threw to Fugita in the red zone in the 1st quarter was caused by him getting a hit on Brees.

He's still a potentially elite player but he'll come just as a luxury piece if Rob Ryan wants him. He will be given freq breathers and won't be the guy you count on to lock down the NT job on 1st and 2nd downs all game. But when he's in he'll be an absolute beast. He'll make it harder for them to run on our D in short yardage and on the goal line. He'll be another piece to our 4 man nickel rush package in addition to Rat and Bowen.

This dude still moves the pocket. I watched him against Nick Mangold and Maukrice Pouncey and he absolutely bullied both of those guys when he was in the game. They didn't know what to do with him.

Plus he'll play more DE than he'll play NT if the patterns from last season hold up.
Now I gotta be honest I haven't watch more than one Browns game this year (NYJ game) but that assessment leaves me intrigued and I know Rogers has a reputation as being a dominant player.

I'm gonna try and find that interview with Rob Ryan about Rogers back in August.

EDIT: Found it.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...talks_abo.html

Quote:
Q: The run defense appeared to improve when Ahtyba Rubin took over for injured Shaun Rogers at nose tackle. What exactly does that mean?

Ryan: Rubin's a real fine player ... a guy who really grew in his second season last year. He really came alive and did a great job, but there's only so many Shaun Rogers in this league. To put him in the middle of your defense is something special.

Q: Could he be just as effective at end?

Ryan: Sure, he can be effective anywhere. You have a Reggie White lined up at tackle and end and nose tackle. A guy like Shaun, just have him on the field whether at nose, tackle, a shade, a three-technique, an end -- doesn't matter. Just get him out there and let him play hard. Linebacker, who cares? Get his (butt) out there.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 02-09-2011 at 07:28 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:26 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

That summary right there talked about how he is a finesse player and not a 2 gap space eater. He is just a heavier, lazier Ratliff.

We need a grown ass man for the middle, if it isn't Josh Brent already. Give me Taylor or Ellis in the draft, I don't want a 31 year old who is out of position and cares more about pretty much everything than football itself.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Again... Rob will know how much to value Rogers. We don't need to bicker about it here. We could go back and forth forever.

IMO, he's done.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That summary right there talked about how he is a finesse player and not a 2 gap space eater. He is just a heavier, lazier Ratliff.

We need a grown ass man for the middle, if it isn't Josh Brent already. Give me Taylor or Ellis in the draft, I don't want a 31 year old who is out of position and cares more about pretty much everything than football itself.
I think it would be foolish to not consider it, he's going to be relatively cheap. Worst case scenario he's a part of the rotation and adds to the talent on the line, best case scenario he's the dominating force in the middle we're missing.

Plus, who says we can't sign Rogers and grab a Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd as well?

I want this guy.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:45 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Again... Rob will know how much to value Rogers. We don't need to bicker about it here. We could go back and forth forever.

IMO, he's done.
It's already being reported on theranchreport that Rob is asking Jerry to bring in Rogers.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
It's already being reported on theranchreport that Rob is asking Jerry to bring in Rogers.
VERY interestinggggggggggg.......

Even if it doesn't happen.... it's a nice sign that he's not believing Ratliff is his unquestioned man at NT.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I like the way you think D-Unit, that is a great sign.

Finisher, can we have a link? He got released today... I highly doubt that it's anything but a rumor by a fan or reporter. How would that word get leaked out this fast, in the off-season..
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would love signing a low risk-high reward deal with Rogers. Add in a guy like Kenrick Ellis whose value in terms of draft location is much more ideal than a guy like Dareus and we would have reloaded our line with minimal investment. Being able to spend those higher picks on the secondary / oline could mean a much faster turnaround.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/415175...s-player_news/

Redskins interested in Rogers.

His trip to Washington is being confirmed all over twitter too.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:22 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Do the redskins ever learn?

Oh well, just one team we really don't have to worry about in the NFC East.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:50 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

We got Mike Woicik back as our strength coach who won us the SB's in the 90's, then has been with the patriots since, so yeah, great hire.

Also signed the packers WR's coach to the same position.

Great hires.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:11 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Really? That's pretty interesting. I think we've been talking about the possibility of him coming here since he's been a Lion. I really don't want a lazy overpaid player who plays when he wants, but I like the Rob Ryan connection, and I'd be fine with limiting his snaps to honestly. All depends on the price, but I think it'd be sexy with Ratliff at NT and Rodgers/Bowen at DE in some sets. Bring in Josh-Brent and let Ratliff shoot the gaps, I like the idea.

If we can make it happen, we can go ahead and cross DE off in the 1st round and probably just focus on the secondary and offensive line. Jury is still out on Aso too, someone has to get him and I wonder if Jerry is gonna see that as his big signing to win the fans back.

Mankins is franchised doubt he gets let go, Nicks won't be going anywhere so I think we need to draft a Guard. Marcus Cannon or Danny Watkins are pretty high up on my board. If we got Rodgers and Aso we'd have to start cutting some of our overpriced vets immediately, but I would absolutely love the flexibility signing those two would give our draft.

If we somehow did sign both guys, I'd probably be praying Peterson makes it out of the top 5 to trade up for him as a FS. If not I'd want to move back and draft a RT, gain an extra 2nd that we use for Cannon or Watkins, and with our original 2nd pick the top rated Safety on our board, I like Rahim Moore. I'm probably leaning with a trade back more so then Peterson.

Rahim Moore is a good prospect in his own right, and we'd be able to get another starter out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I honestly have minimal interest in Moore.

I'd rank my Top 5 safties (and the projected round they'd be picked in) as:
1. Patrick Peterson (1st round pick)
2. Deunta Williams (3rd round pick) & Ras-I Dowling (3rd round pick) - I like them equally.
4. Prince Amukamara (1st round pick)
5. Rahim Moore (2nd round pick)
Old 02-12-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

I hate being neg repped for BS.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

2. Deunta Williams (3rd round pick) & Ras-I Dowling (3rd round pick) - I like them equally.

I like Deunta alot, no gripe with that ranking, but isn't he coming off injury? I don't want another guy who starts off hurt, missing TC time, or not full strength because we need a starter at Safety. He needs to be good to go from the get go.

I also don't know how you can put a tweener, and a CB above a very good centerfielder FS prospect who has actually played that position. I guess I'm just missing how you can project they'll be better. Not 1 team is considering, or thinking about moving to Prince to Safety and he's never done it before. Ras is a tweener who I like at FS as do other people, but we are all thinking he can make the transition, it's not set in stone.

We don't need a Safety to sit for a year and groom, or start off slow, we need an impact starter. I don't know how we'd feel comfortable in that with Prince or Ras over Rahim Moore. He had a "down" year in stats more then anything, but he has range none of these other safeties can touch and if their is pressure or bad throws he'll punish the offense.

He might struggle in some man to man coverages, but not more then Deunta would. I just prefer rangy safeties who can go sideline to sideline, letting our CB's play press coverage and gamble underneath which is probably what Jenkins needs over top.

Honestly if we don't get a Safety by round 3 I don't want one, even by the 3rd round our options will be slim and if we miss our last guy or 2 by a few picks were screwed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Everyone watch this right now, seriously:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...ot-Mike-Woicik

So pumped about this hire.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the Woicik hire too. The guy's been on six Super Bowl winning teams, and they both happen to be the most dominant teams in their era. I can't help but like him being hired. I really hope that Jurasek gets well. He's got a good track record here, and I don't want anything serious to happen to him.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Everyone watch this right now, seriously:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-...ot-Mike-Woicik

So pumped about this hire.
Cool. I enjoyed that.

I'm happy we got the Green Bay WRs coach too. Nice coaching moves this offseason. I'll say that.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 AM    (permalink
21BoysFan21
Rookie

21BoysFan21 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Cool. I enjoyed that.

I'm happy we got the Green Bay WRs coach too. Nice coaching moves this offseason. I'll say that.
I'll agree with that. Some championship pedigree and creativity can't possibly be poor qualities to add to our staff.
21BoysFan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:

What happened with DeAndre McDaniel, did he really have that bad of a year?