Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-31-2011, 03:23 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
You have any links MOTH? I just haven't heard that either, I've only read someplace we weren't on the same page with his asking price on his deal. Nothing about him as a player, or not being a fit. He's a perfect fit, and I'll more then likely continue to feel that way unless I read otherwise.

Elam would just be alot cheaper and he's familiar with what were doing on defense.
A link to what? Re-read what I posted. I never said that Ryan for sure doesnt like Huff or that he wasnt a fit at all. Or at least, that wasn't my intent.

When I said, "If Ryan doesnt like him, he doesnt like him." It wasnt my intention to imply that this was actually the factual case. Because I wouldnt actually pass that off as fact, unless a source was behind it. I meant that if that was hypothetically the case, then it is, what it is. You're probably not going to change the guys mind. It was a general comment I was trying to make, not stating a fact, that he for sure doesnt like the guy, or that he has said as much out loud.

I was saying that Dallas has said they have no interest in him...as has been reported many a time. And that it was strange that it would be price related, when they were so willing to pay hefty prices to some of the others out there.

I was saying, the fact that Ryan had him when he wasnt any good and was considered a pretty lousy teammate/lazy...that, that very well could have tarnished their relationship. If Ryan really wanted Huff so bad, you'd figure we'd be knocking down his door, opposed to "expressing no interest at all". Things dont add up cleanly. Dont get me wrong, I was someone who wanted Huff, if the price was right.

It's the FA period...with the tidbits of info we get, assumptions are made and dots are trying to be connected. I was just saying, the fact that we're not interested, sounds more than just money related. I wasn't intending to confuse with fact and added assumption.

But the fact remains...that the most recent sources available, state that we're not pursuing Michael Huff. So it raises some questions. I apologize for any confusion there, I suppose.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-31-2011 at 04:19 AM.
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:27 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Donte Whitner anyone?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:38 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol. I'd be game...we just havent heard any names we're interested in, outside of Elam yet. Like I said, I fully expect that signing to happen. It really doesnt matter how long that one takes. I'd love to get two of them. Ryan loves for his safeties to be interchangeable in the sense that he could put either in the box at any time. Obviously Whitner is fine here, pretty much all he did in Buffalo. He can suck in coverage sometimes, but he's def. an upgrade over what we had last year. And he still has to be young as hell...isnt he just coming off his rookie contract?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
lol. I'd be game...we just havent heard any names we're interested in, outside of Elam yet. Like I said, I fully expect that signing to happen. It really doesnt matter how long that one takes. I'd love to get two of them. Ryan loves for his safeties to be interchangeable in the sense that he could put either in the box at any time. Obviously Whitner is fine here, pretty much all he did in Buffalo. He can suck in coverage sometimes, but he's def. an upgrade over what we had last year. And he still has to be young as hell...isnt he just coming off his rookie contract?
http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...es-on-p-1.html

SAN ANTONIO -- Owner Jerry Jones said the Cowboys are very active in the pursuit of free agents, especially at safety.

"We have a lot of bait in the water, so to speak," Jones said. "We really do have a lot of things we're working on. Does a lot mean more than two? Yes. But we are working on those and have the viability to get something done to really help our team."

Jones said the Cowboys could end up signing two safeties still via free agency.
He said not to rule the Cowboys out of the defensive line market despite recently re-signing Marcus Spears and adding defensive end Kenyon Coleman. Jones said it's unlikely the Cowboys will add an offensive lineman because he wants his young players to get the chance to shine.

Jones said losing out on top free agent CB Nnamdi Asomugha to the Philadelphia Eagles was a missed opportunity.

"We certainly saw a chance and really there in a day or so saw that we had an opportunity to get involved. You can't ever get enough corners," Jones said. "That's shear speculation that we were going to do anything with [Terence] Newman. We just thought the same thing Philadelphia thought, 'He's an outstanding player and a chance to get him,' and we saw where we had done [the deal for Marcus] Spears, we had done [Kyle] Kosier and we had done [Doug] Free. We can get some other stuff done that we wanted to and saw where we could do it and we wanted to go after him. Really, there was a point yesterday afternoon that I thought we were going to have something."

Jones said he doesn't feel it's necessary to have a conversation with Newman considering the Cowboys were in hot pursuit of a player that could have potentially taken Newman's job.

"Terence is a veteran of the league and we all know that and knows that you can't have enough corners, outstanding corners," Jones said. "We had an opportunity to get an outstanding player and could do it. You don't have to be under the cap until the league year and that will be some time next week."

Those 3 different colors. That's a lot to digest right there.

2 new safeties sounds like a need.

Another DE makes me happy. C'mon Ty Warren!

But the scariest thing is wanting a young OL. WTF? Don't tell me it's Arkin or Costa or some $hiz.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:15 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I posted a comment once I read that earlier. The fact that we dont want to add a lineman is frightening. Because there are plenty of options available at RG. And there are good cheap options available. I would take any of the three guards the Eagles recently released over what we have now. More Nick Cole or Max Jean-Gilles really, given their age. But yeah, Jerry really needs to explore options at RG. Add to the fact, that someone posted in here that Holland came in fat again and Houck stated that he wouldnt be ready to start, if the season started today, based on his play. Holland could work there...but we could do better, much better. And I really doubt any one of our young guys is ready to start, let alone even be capable of beating out Holland.

I still doubt we go DE. I'm all for Ty Warren, though. He's visited with Denver today already.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-31-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:07 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't have any sites or links though? I read news a bunch, and never read we weren't interested in Huff anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:21 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You don't have any sites or links though? I read news a bunch, and never read we weren't interested in Huff anywhere.

Quote:
Cowboys | High on Abram Elam

Sat, 30 Jul 2011 10:34:59 -0700

The Dallas Cowboys are high on free-agent FS Abram Elam (Browns). Free-agent Ss Michael Huff (Raiders) and Gerald Sensabaugh (Cowboys) are unlikely to re-sign because they are looking for bid paydays.

Comment (0) | Share: Tweet! Share on Facebook | Source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram - Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/14/NFL#ixzz1TglicgZs
Was posted on a couple sites and twitter that Sensabaugh and Huff were demanding pay of a top safety and that Dallas was not interested. Elam looks headed for Dallas from all indications on twitter.

Per Elam:
Quote:
"Just hung up with Rob Ryan he spoke about how good @terencenewman1 and the defense is and can be.. I told him well #CTMFC#".
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Huff re-signed with Oakland, waiting on the specifics of what he got.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know we're supposedly set at NT with Ratliff and don't want to move him, but Aubrayo Franklin is still out there and doesn't want to go back to SF. I'm just saying, I'd be just as happy with him as I would have been with Cullen Jenkins. He gives us that dominant true NT to stuff the run and let our ILBs run free. He's a big reason why Willis has been so dominant.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I know we're supposedly set at NT with Ratliff and don't want to move him, but Aubrayo Franklin is still out there and doesn't want to go back to SF. I'm just saying, I'd be just as happy with him as I would have been with Cullen Jenkins. He gives us that dominant true NT to stuff the run and let our ILBs run free. He's a big reason why Willis has been so dominant.
Nah. Josh Brent is gonna break out in a big way next year.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a shame that the Redskins stole away Stephen Bowen. After watching him play in a few games last year, he really looked like a serious candidate for a break-out year this season under Rob Ryan. He has some serious pass-rush capability.
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:53 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
It's a shame that the Redskins stole away Stephen Bowen. After watching him play in a few games last year, he really looked like a serious candidate for a break-out year this season under Rob Ryan. He has some serious pass-rush capability.
Yea Bowen was pretty popular around here, I think we were all excited about what he could do as a full time starter. He showed some nice flashes as a pass rusher, especially with his bull rush, but it just wasn't enough to pay him 5 Mil+ a season like what Washington offered. Then again, we paid only slightly less for Marcus Spears... who's extremely average.

The prospect of Bowen and Cofield at the 5-techs has a ton of potential, they could be a heck of a tandem.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 07-31-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:22 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
There are links everywhere that we werent majorly interested in Huff. Some stated it had to do with the fact that he was seeking a big pay day, and others were left more ambiguous.

Quote:
Free agent S Abram Elam reportedly remains "high" on the Cowboys' list of safety targets.

The Cowboys are trying to get him on the cheap. They're reportedly not even considering Michael Huff and Gerald Sensabaugh any longer because both are looking for big pay days. It's difficult to love Dallas' free agency pursuits so far.
Quote:
Free agent Abram Elam was the first safety contacted by the Cowboys on Tuesday.

Beat writer Clarence Hill confirms the Cowboys prefer Elam to Michael Huff. Both players have been coached by defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, though Huff was an early-career bust under Ryan's watch in Oakland. While Dallas is clearing plenty of cap space, Fox Sports Southwest is still not convinced Nnamdi Asomugha will be a target. Jul 26, 3:07 PM
Source: Clarence Hill on Twitter
Quote:
The Cowboys are expected to seriously consider free agent S Abram Elam if Gerald Sensabaugh signs elsewhere.

Elam played under new Cowboys coordinator Rob Ryan the past two years in Cleveland, so the connection is obvious. ESPN Dallas also suggests Dawan Landry, Quintin Mikell, and Brodney Pool as possibilities, with no mention of Michael Huff this time around. Jul 25th, 10:00 AM
Source: ESPN Dallas
There are better ones from before, but I cant locate them on a short search. This is just what comes up with a simple google/rotoworld search. But there are more, all along the same lines...the one I was looking for is pretty much the same as the first, but it was just left more open to interpretation. Just vaugley stating that Dallas wasnt pursuing Huff. It may have been in a blogging the boys article, not positive. I'll look for it later, when I have more time.

I never even saw a link or heard a story about us actually for sure contacting Huff. I really want to know what he got. Because if it wasnt earth shattering...you'd have to assume that there was more going on then just dollar signs. Otherwise, maybe they just didnt think he was worth the price. The league wide interest in Huff sounded suprisingly minimal, honestly. And I'm someone who wanted him here.

It was a sad FA day...a lot of guys that could have helped us signed elsewhere today.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-31-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

New Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan spoke on the phone with free agent safety Abram Elam last night, according to a tweet from Elam (@abeelam).

Elam tweeted, "Just hung up with Rob Ryan he spoke about how good @terencenewman1 and the defense is and can be.. I told him well #CTMFC#"

CTMFC = Cut the Mother F'ing Check, apparently. lol.

edit...woops already posted up there, my bad.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 07-31-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Look for a break out year from Marty B. He's in a contract year. Also, if Phillips comes on, we could use him as trade bait.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Here's some training camp footage for anyone that's interested.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Justin Blalock agreed to terms on a six-year contract worth $38 million with $16 million guaranteed with the Falcons.

:(

We are just being stupid.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:56 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Think Jerry is being cautious this year bc of our situation next year?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Think Jerry is being cautious this year bc of our situation next year?
No cause we went after Nnamdi and Jenkins and lost out on both. That just says he lost. No signs of caution there.

Even after signing Spears and Coleman, Jerry said we was still looking at improving DE. That tells me 2 things. 1, the signings he made did not satisfy him completely and 2, if we don't bring in anyone better than he just got beat by the competition.

I can't believe how incapable we've been in pursuit of Safeties. There were PLENTY of guys that could've helped us and we've done nothing. Elam is a stop gap. If we get him, it better be for less than $3M per year and shorter than a 4 year deal.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

James Cleveland?
Old 08-01-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
No cause we went after Nnamdi and Jenkins and lost out on both. That just says he lost. No signs of caution there.

Even after signing Spears and Coleman, Jerry said we was still looking at improving DE. That tells me 2 things. 1, the signings he made did not satisfy him completely and 2, if we don't bring in anyone better than he just got beat by the competition.

I can't believe how incapable we've been in pursuit of Safeties. There were PLENTY of guys that could've helped us and we've done nothing. Elam is a stop gap. If we get him, it better be for less than $3M per year and shorter than a 4 year deal.
I think it was a stab, we didnt pursue them hard.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think it was a stab, we didnt pursue them hard.
Then it means his backup plans are weak.

Overall, Jerry just played his cards very poorly this offseason. He started it off with a BIG BANG making BIG TIME cuts, clearing cap, pronouncing "there isn't anybody we want that we won't be able to afford" type stuff.

He's come out of this with his tail between his legs.

It's been years since the Cowboys have brought in a single big name FA. The last one being Terrell Owens. lol
Old 08-01-2011, 03:37 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want them to do something in FA. I really hate seeing Jenkins go for that kind of money, and Coleman and Elam aren't bad but they've been here before. I want to see some new people that haven't been here. Is Pool still available? What about some guards? I understand not wanting to make a big splash after the lockout, but I don't like the idea of standing pat when there are some good players out there to fill the huge holes in the secondary.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): It sounds like Jason Hatcher is coming back. Our guys are working on confirming and getting details of the deal.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

The whole Bowen thing messed with our plans at End. Really, Spears and Hatcher probably weren't coming back before FA started. This is the most disappointing part of FA so far for me. I know LL agrees, too. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS