Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
No matter how much you hated him -- the third down D was better with him.
Speaks more to the weakness of the D, than the strength of the player. It's not a mystery why the Rams let him go. The Lions will find out soon enough.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
No matter how much you hated him -- the third down D was better with him.
I don't think you can necessarily attribute that solely to Barbie.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Star Telegram reporting that 'Boys have narrowed their safety targets down to Elam and Pool.

Quote:
Cowboys working on two options at safety: Abe Elam and Brodney Pool

Now that the Cowboys have strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh back on team, they are now focusing on adding a free safety.

Abe Elam is the first choice because of his experience playing in Rob Ryan's defense the past two years with the Cleveland Browns. The Cowboys have had discussions with him and plan on talking his agent Drew Rosenhaus today.

The key is finding a deal within the Cowboys budget

They have other options if doesn't work out with Elam. One is former Oklahoma safety Brodney Pool, a seven-year veteran who started 12 games last year with the Jets.

-- Clarence E. Hill Jr
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:08 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

espn_macmahon: Terence Newman walks of the practice field holding his right groin. [via Twitter] Lovely....

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

espn_macmahon: RT @JennyVrentas: RT @LisaZimmerman The Jets are re-signing Brodney Pool, according to sources. Terms to come

And more good news...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
espn_macmahon: RT @JennyVrentas: RT @LisaZimmerman The Jets are re-signing Brodney Pool, according to sources. Terms to come

And more good news...
Elam it is....

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
espn_macmahon: Terence Newman walks of the practice field holding his right groin. [via Twitter] Lovely....
LOL. That's an $11M dollar groin right there.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, you can officially add me to the "worried about the secondary" list.

Thanks t.new...give you a little faith and here you go and pull a groin or worse.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Well, you can officially add me to the "worried about the secondary" list.

Thanks t.new...give you a little faith and here you go and pull a groin or worse.
I bet Newman's agent is behind this...

First he sends Nnamdi to the Eagles so his other client Newman isn't cut by the Cowboys. Now this...
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
LOL. That's an $11M dollar groin right there.
Our cuts list was right on the money, just wish we had some half decent depth so he could have been on it as well. He's been done, just a way over priced average player. Even if Jenkins and Scandrick play at a very high level were still in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I bet Newman's agent is behind this...

First he sends Nnamdi to the Eagles so his other client Newman isn't cut by the Cowboys. Now this...
Hahaha, I still can't believe that man.....I didn't even want Nnamdi...but that's frustrating to read.

I've always liked Newman...although he's been injury prone, he's gotten a lot more flack than I think he's deserved. At times he's been a true shutdown corner...other times....very average...but I've never looked at him and said "He's horrible, I wish Jerry would cut him". There's been a number of times where he's been beat, and he was in perfect position...and sure it falls on him, but...with CB being my favorite position on the field, I try to pay special attention to him, and I rarely see myself saying "Damn...Newman got burnt" ...but yea...he's done for, I was hoping he could make one last go at it and stay injury free.

Sooooo...any veteran CB's available? And is it too late to cut T.New?

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Hahaha, I still can't believe that man.....I didn't even want Nnamdi...but that's frustrating to read.

What's Pac-man Jones doing these days? LMAO.... It's really sad out there.

So happy we didn't trade up for Patrick Peterson. I mean we REALLY needed that 2nd rounder, so we could draft Bruce Carter. :/
Old 08-03-2011, 08:20 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Arrow

Quote:

I've always liked Newman...although he's been injury prone, he's gotten a lot more flack than I think he's deserved. At times he's been a true shutdown corner...other times....very average...but I've never looked at him and said "He's horrible, I wish Jerry would cut him". There's been a number of times where he's been beat, and he was in perfect position...and sure it falls on him, but...with CB being my favorite position on the field, I try to pay special attention to him, and I rarely see myself saying "Damn...Newman got burnt" ...but yea...he's done for, I was hoping he could make one last go at it and stay injury free.

For the last 2 seasons, maybe 3 but not sure about that long, T-New has just been really inconsistent. He's flashed #1 CB in the league, shut down ability for spans over that time, sometimes it was weeks at a time, sometimes months, game to game, and then it started to be for 3 quarters.

Then it was like he would have a mental lapse on the field, or get lazy, whatever it was, and he would get beat horribly on a play he had no business getting beat on. I can't count how many times I can picture him jogging after a WR who has burned him over the top.

Hakeem Nicks, Desean Jackson, and Maclin will eat him alive. Throughout the game. He's just way too much money for what he offers now. I remember when we were throwing him on an island with WR's anywhere they went, and he did well. Even in that role he had a few bad plays a game, but really crucial plays.

1st one that comes to mind is the Steelers game, in Pittsburgh when we had TO, December game. Newman had a great 3 quarters. In the 4th he blew a huge TD(or long pass, it's been a long time) to Santonio Holmes on a 3rd down play. Were about to win that game. What good is it that he had played well before that?

And since that time, it's been a steady, consistent decline in his play. This year expect that hill to get a bit steeper. Not like I didn't agree with keeping him(due to depth), and that he's been a shut down corner for us, and even at times last year, but he's going to be alot worse this year.

I fully expect him to give up a ton of big TD's this year.

Add to that, we don't have any elite safeties. Look at who the Ravens DB's have been over the years, yet the defense has still been at a high level. Newman might be declining, but our safeties will make him look alot worse. It's just not a very good combination for a division that boast some of the league's best WR's we have to see periodically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

^^^ Oh man I agree....The Titans game last year I can remember him vividly being burnt over and over.

It's frustrating, because for some time he was my favorite Cowboy.....but yea...I figured(and I'm sure Jerry did too.

I hope this is a sprain...I still have some faith in him...and that's probably not the right thing to do:(

Quote:
What's Pac-man Jones doing these days? LMAO.... It's really sad out there.

So happy we didn't trade up for Patrick Peterson. I mean we REALLY needed that 2nd rounder, so we could draft Bruce Carter. :/

lol, you're biting your nose to spite your face man. I think everyone wanted Peterson....but you'd be saying the same thing if Colombo had to be kept and he ultimately got hurt...

We made the right move....for now and the future. Build from the inside out...if we forego next year and the year after....Smith will still be here protecting Romo or whatever QB we have under center.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:54 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Well, the poor player-personnel decisions of the last few years is catching up to the roster. The fact they could not develop young players also.

Other than Free is there anyone in the last few years that has developed into a capable Pro-Bowl level player? Felix is ehhhhhh, Martellus yuck, Trades yuck, Jenkins who knows.

Romo/Witten/Austin/Gurode/Ware are previous regime.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Abram Elam signed a 1 year ; $2.5 million deal with us. Turns out to be the same deal Sensy got anyway. We all knew it was coming. It's a solid addition, he knows the system and he'll be barking out the play calls and audibles for our defense. We have officially upgraded S at least. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:37 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh and the bad news on Newman, is that he's out 4-6 weeks and may end up missing the opener.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Abram Elam signed a 1 year ; $2.5 million deal with us. Turns out to be the same deal Sensy got anyway. We all knew it was coming. It's a solid addition, he knows the system and he'll be barking out the play calls and audibles for our defense. We have officially upgraded S at least. haha.
Well it's not quite a defensive wall back there in our Secondary, but I'll take a chain link fence over the wide opened gates we had last season.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Best thing about those deals is that they're only for 1 year. We're going to have no choice but to invest a high draft pick on a safety next year.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why don't we cut Newman and basically offer a few thousand more then the next offer he gets. No team is gonna be silly enough to offer him as much as he is on at the moment. At least ask him to take a paycut. There's no way he can honestly think he's deserving of the money that he is on at the moment.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well at least Josh Thomas will get some additional reps now. I'm trying to find a positive in TNew going down.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...e-year-wonders

We've got a lot of guys in the last year of their contracts on Defense. Hopefully, they play like it's a contract year. Guys like Brooking will be done bc of age, but some of the others are still fairly young.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:26 AM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see a bunch of guys saying Newman got burnt badly last year and such. You have to remember a lot of teams use coverages where Safeties are playing deep coverage where the Corner may sink a bit but isn't intended to be covering the deep route.

Not defending everytime he get's burnt, I'm just saying that it's pretty tough to play as a shutdown corner when we aren't playing a ton of Man Coverage from my memory because we were trying not to expose our weakness at safety.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...e-year-wonders

We've got a lot of guys in the last year of their contracts on Defense. Hopefully, they play like it's a contract year. Guys like Brooking will be done bc of age, but some of the others are still fairly young.
Wouldn't mind cleaning up all the loose ends now rather then waiting until the end of the season and having to pay for a player based on there contract year stats.

You can let Mat McBriar lapse as he will be signed regardless. But players like Spencer and Scandrick will be here for a long while. And we can sign them longterm cheaper now then at the end of the season if they play out of there skins chasing a contract.

Same with Holland and Choice. Choice will probably tell us to suck a stiff one as he will get plenty of offers come free agency. Same with Bennett(although teams tend not to go for FA midlevel TE's with big money offers.)

Kitna and Brooking can come back on one year deals for cheap.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What do you guys think of this trade, seeing as how you need help in the secondary now:

Cowboys' #1 pick in 2012 + Martellus Bennet for Asante Samuel?
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote