Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-15-2011, 08:48 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Yeah Garrett praised him in his Saturday presser. Said he did a good job commanding the line and has been a bulldog out there. There's a lot he needs to do to but he's made good progress.
Nice to see the coaching start to value brains for the OL positions. I can see Gurode going the way of the do-do bird soon.

4 smart linemen plus one physical specimen for the left side is all you need to have a great line.

It is all about team work.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I rewatched the Broncos pre-season game and really watched Arkin and Costa. I have to say I really felt that they held their own nicely. On our first offensive play, Arkin pancaked some fool. Nice start to his career.

We have the potential of 4 fairly young offensive lineman. Kosier can hold down the fort for a few more years too.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Nice to see the coaching start to value brains for the OL positions. I can see Gurode going the way of the do-do bird soon.

4 smart linemen plus one physical specimen for the left side is all you need to have a great line.

It is all about team work.
I'm just happy that I don't have to scout college tackles anymore. What a freakin' relief. ... then again.. there are those that project to Guard better in the NFL, so I guess there's no totally getting away from it. lol.

Haven't really heard too much about Bill Nagy. I guess Costa has surpassed him a lot.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I rewatched the Broncos pre-season game and really watched Arkin and Costa. I have to say I really felt that they held their own nicely. On our first offensive play, Arkin pancaked some fool. Nice start to his career.

We have the potential of 4 fairly young offensive lineman. Kosier can hold down the fort for a few more years too.
True, but I did get a nice laugh watching Arkin totally whiff as he lunged for air while trying to hit his man on the screen that was run on Felix's big run.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Nice coupla quotes from Jerry and Jason Costa...

“Let me say this: I wouldn't blink or lose any sleep over Costa starting a game for us,” Jones said.

Costa started against Denver last week after taking nearly all the first-team reps in San Antonio.

“Costa is going to play a lot for the Cowboys — now,” Jones said. “I don't know how that works, but, boy, I am glad we've got him. I don't know if anybody has had a better preseason. I put him right there at the top.”

Costa's development gives Dallas options as it tries to solidify the interior of the line. Arkin is starting at left guard while veteran Montrae Holland's sore back mends, but the Cowboys could slide Gurode over to that spot and start Costa in the middle.

Another option, this one more likely: Keep Gurode at center and let Costa compete with Holland and Arkin at left guard.

“Total possibility ... there's a lot of moving parts,” offensive line coach Hudson Houck said.

Undersized for an interior lineman at 6-foot-3, 311 pounds, Costa earned a roster spot in 2010 as an undrafted free agent out of Maryland. Injuries allowed him to play in games at center and guard, and he even started one at left guard.

“Since he got here, he's been kind of a bulldog,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “He scratches, claws, fights and battles in all areas, plays from the snap to whistle.”

The Cowboys also like his intelligence.

“He's very good at quarterbacking in the offensive line,” Jones said. “He's quick with his reads. He's clear with the rest of the line, and it's a big plus. He does an outstanding job of identifying the defense.”

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...#ixzz1V7gAAs00
Old 08-15-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm just happy that I don't have to scout college tackles anymore. What a freakin' relief. ... then again.. there are those that project to Guard better in the NFL, so I guess there's no totally getting away from it. lol.

Haven't really heard too much about Bill Nagy. I guess Costa has surpassed him a lot.
Costa has always been ahead of Nagy on the depth chart at both C and G. That said, Nagy has received pretty decent reviews from the coaches. If Nagy pans out, somebody deserves a raise. The guy didnt even start full time in college.

I dont care what people say right now though, our depth still looks like crap, especially at T.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Costa has always been ahead of Nagy on the depth chart at both C and G. That said, Nagy has received pretty decent reviews from the coaches. If Nagy pans out, somebody deserves a raise. The guy didnt even start full time in college.

I dont care what people say right now though, our depth still looks like crap, especially at T.
Yeah, I agree. Hate to get caught up in the mini-excitement because there is a TON of unproveness that we are placing blind faith in. ....and depth is just ugly.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:26 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The weird thing right now is the fit between our offensive line personnel and Houck. Houck's great, but our line has def. shifted to more of an athletic type of line. You look at our starting tackles and the younger interior lineman we've been discussing and you'd think this was a Howard Mudd line. haha. But Houck could certainly coach em up.

I'm really not worried about the starting line this year...but one injury may derail things. We've got nothing at backup T. And a bunch of youngsters at the interior. It's a bit scary...more than a bit, actually. We better scour the waiver wire for a T, when those final rosters cuts commence. It really seems like we were heavily banking on Sam Young being a reliable top backup, and he's just been getting trashed in camp.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On offense I'm more concerned about a solid 3rd WR. I like how the young guys are playing so far, but lets get them in some games against other teams 1's and see how they perform.

As for the O-line, depth at T is my major concern. I'm fine with the interior.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
On offense I'm more concerned about a solid 3rd WR. I like how the young guys are playing so far, but lets get them in some games against other teams 1's and see how they perform.

As for the O-line, depth at T is my major concern. I'm fine with the interior.
When you say 3rd, do you mean our slot WR or backups behind our starting wides?

I really have confidence to put Dwayne Harris out there. He's just too talented to be slotted behind a guy like Ogletree. Sadly, I really think this is the year Sam Hurd could've finally had his chance. Why'd he leave anyways?
Old 08-15-2011, 02:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I was a big fan of his at ECU...but I'm not ready to crown Harris yet. He looked good in his debut. But he also got 77 yards on an uncovered dump off into broken coverage. There was no one around him, it was just open field.

All of them are dropping passes in camp it seems from the updates we get. I'm rooting for Harris more than the rest of the lot, though. This Radway cat may just earn himself a roster spot. People like to bring up his "rawness", but he's been a camp star, he caught a TD pass on a good route, and he had a nice kick return. He could help us. His upside at WR seems higher than that of say Holley or Manny. He can contribute as a return man as well. On the flip side, Holley's known for his ST ability...something that is going to be greatly effected due to the new kickoff spot. So if you eliminate ST contibution...Radway looks to have the most upside among them. If he continues to play well, I'd certainly try to keep the guy.

On the topic of the #3 WR...this is actually a little scary as well, because I honestly dont believe that Miles and Dez will start every game this year. We always run into WR injuries and these two have both had some injury history already. Gah. I couldnt imagine having to start Oggs, Harris, Holley, or anyone else right now. Bleh.

Firstly, I wish Hurd came back...but if that wasnt going to happen, I kind of wish we made a play for James Jones, who turned out to be a pretty inexpensive option. Could have teamed him up with Jimmy Robinson again. He'd just be someone I'd have confidence in, if we lost a starter. I cant say the same for any of the other WRs currently on our roster.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I was a big fan of his at ECU...but I'm not ready to crown Harris yet. He looked good in his debut. But he also got 77 yards on an uncovered dump off into broken coverage. There was no one around him, it was just open field.

All of them are dropping passes in camp it seems from the updates we get. I'm rooting for Harris more than the rest of the lot, though. This Radway cat may just earn himself a roster spot. People like to bring up his "rawness", but he's been a camp star, he caught a TD pass on a good route, and he had a nice kick return. He could help us. His upside at WR seems higher than that of say Holley or Manny. He can contribute as a return man as well. On the flip side, Holley's known for his ST ability...something that is going to be greatly effected due to the new kickoff spot. So if you eliminate ST contibution...Radway looks to have the most upside among them. If he continues to play well, I'd certainly try to keep the guy.

On the topic of the #3 WR...this is actually a little scary as well, because I honestly dont believe that Miles and Dez will start every game this year. We always run into WR injuries and these two have both had some injury history already. Gah. I couldnt imagine having to start Oggs, Harris, Holley, or anyone else right now. Bleh.

Firstly, I wish Hurd came back...but if that wasnt going to happen, I kind of wish we made a play for James Jones, who turned out to be a pretty inexpensive option. Could have teamed him up with Jimmy Robinson again. He'd just be someone I'd have confidence in, if we lost a starter. I cant say the same for any of the other WRs currently on our roster.
Yeah, that's why I asked leroy if he was talking about our slot or our 3rd wide out. Because I like Radway as a battler behind Dez or Miles. I don't see him as a slot at all.

Radway sounds like your new "Sam Hurd" there, Moth. ;)

As for Harris... yes, I've already crowned him. He's just a dangerous man in the open field and he can burn. :D

...and I agree. James Jones was a missed opportunity. As was Cotchery.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
When you say 3rd, do you mean our slot WR or backups behind our starting wides?

I really have confidence to put Dwayne Harris out there. He's just too talented to be slotted behind a guy like Ogletree. Sadly, I really think this is the year Sam Hurd could've finally had his chance. Why'd he leave anyways?
Hurd said he left because, he didnt think he'd ever have a chance to start over Dez or Miles. And that's obviously true...he says his goal is to become a starter for the Bears one day. That's a pretty tall task as well, because that have so much youth. They're not super stars, but good players at WR, who they are familiar with and who they like. Sam's been having a great camp at least and turning heads with his usual "acrobatic" camp receptions. It's not going to be easy, but he def. has a much better chance of becoming a starter there then he did here.

What sucks, though. Is that he would have been looking at rather consistent playing time as our 3 this year, finally. And we did contact him to come back. I hope he does well for himself, at least. Guy's a class act.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-15-2011, 02:24 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I asked leroy if he was talking about our slot or our 3rd wide out. Because I like Radway as a battler behind Dez or Miles. I don't see him as a slot at all.

As for Harris... yes, I've already crowned him. He's just a dangerous man in the open field and he can burn. :D

I havent seen much of Radway at all...I loved what Hurd brought to the table in a multitude of aspects. On the field, off the field, at WR, on ST, as a person. Hurd is def. my kind of a player. He's a worker with a great attitude. I still think he can go far in this league.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-15-2011, 02:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

The Boys trying all kinds of things along the OL. Nagy is getting reps with the 1st team at LG.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...boys_line-.ece

The Cowboys continue their game of musical chairs in the offensive line.

Now at left guard: Bill Nagy. The rookie who has worked at center since the start of camp found himself working at guard with the starters in Monday's practice.

"Anytime I can get reps with the ones, it's definitely positive,'' Nagy said. "I was excited.''

Offensive line coach Hudson Houck cautioned reporters not to read too much into the move, saying the coaching staff just wants to see how different combinations look. But Houck did say that Nagy did a fine job in the pre-season opener against Denver, as did rookie David Arkin, who started at left guard.

This movement in the offensive line began when the Cowboys shifted Kyle Kosier from left to right guard to facilitate the development of first round pick Tyron Smith at right tackle. That put veteran Montrae Holland at left guard, but his back spasms have created a revolving door at the position.

Houck said Holland is considered the starter at left guard at this point. Head coach Jason Garrett said he doesn't know if Holland will be able to practice this week but is hopeful he'll return after the San Diego game.

Holland's injury has prevented the Cowboys from developing the continuity it prefers in the offensive line. It has also given Arkin and Nagy a chance they otherwise would not have gotten.

"We just want to see how they're doing individually and how they're playing together as an offensive line,'' Garrett said. "How they're communicating, what combinations work right in terms of guys playing next to each other and what kind of flexibility we have there.

"We'd rather have this thing resolved at all positions but a great part of training camp and pre-season is to give guys an opportunity to compete.''

Nagy has now been given that opportunity. The seventh round pick from Wisconsin certainly comes from a strong college program.

"I played more guard than center,'' Nagy said of college. "Right now, I'm more comfortable at guard than center. But I feel I made a whole lot of strides at center at the beginning of camp.

"I can do both.''
Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:

I'm concerned about the slot receiver. I know that we use Witten in that role a lot, but we need to have 3 wr's and witten out there to stretch the field. I'm not so sure about Ogletree and would like to see Harris there, but first would like to see him against some 1's.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm concerned about the slot receiver. I know that we use Witten in that role a lot, but we need to have 3 wr's and witten out there to stretch the field. I'm not so sure about Ogletree and would like to see Harris there, but first would like to see him against some 1's.
Well, his skillset is there for the position. He's scrapy, quick twitch, YAC kind of guy and when in the open field he has speed to burn. I know he hasn't faced a starting defense yet, but I feel like he has time to adapt and grow into the position and man it for the next 8 years. He'll need to get smarter and he'll have to show sure hands... 2 things that are the most unknowns from my thoughts... not necessarily weaknesses though.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I want him there for sure. It's a little worrisome that he's been pointed out for dropping a bunch of passes in the camp updates. But he didnt drop one in the preseason game. Even hauled in an ugly slant. That's what really matters.

It will be interesting to see what we do with Murray when he's healthy. I cant wait to use him in the slot. We have so many guys we could put there, that arent even WRs. Garrett has never been the greatest at utilizing all of his talent...but here's hoping for more RBs and TEs in the slot this year.

As I've posted a bunch of times...I would kill for some more spread formations. I want Jimmy Robinson in Garrett's ear. We see how successful these formations have been for the Pats, Pack, and Chargers, among others. And we've had the personell to do it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-15-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

So what's gonna happen on 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches?

Gronkowski or QB sneak?

I'm not a fan of either. Wish we had a power back.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:47 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Gronkowski or QB sneak?

Very good point D. I guess they were hoping Miller would be the one, but he still needs to prove himself. And I guess we'll see how Choice and Murray do once they get back from injuries.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:

Gronkowski or QB sneak?

Here's hoping it could be Lonyae Miller. That's what they've been grooming him for in camp. Guy is 230ish. That said, he doesnt seem to be the power back type. That's not to say he couldnt do it, he's just not a bruiser. The kid has tons of physical talent, though. Honestly, I'd have no problem giving the ball to Felix in those short situations. Felix has a lot more power than given credit for. He's a tough runner these days and he's a pretty big back. As Garrett has said, he certainly looks the part of the 3 down back now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-15-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Here's hoping it could be Lonyae Miller. That's what they've been grooming him for in camp. Guy is 230ish. That said, he doesnt seem to be the power back type. Honestly, I'd have no problem giving the ball to Felix in those short situations. Felix has a lot more power than given credit for. He's a tough runner these days and he's a pretty big back. As Garrett has said, he certainly looks the part of the 3 down back now.
Miller kinda stunk it up against Denver. Showing that he needs the OL to create a push for him or else, he's inadequate.

I probably would agree on Felix. If there's one thing that will be unquestioned by the end of the year... it's knowing what kind of back Felix is capable of being.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I edited my post....I wasnt trying to hate on Miller. And as I said before, he has every right to blame the line on that game. Without good blocking, most RBs would suck. That's just the truth. It'd be nice if Lonyae could have at least had a chance to get passed the line of scrimmage. Our second team line was getting pushed back pretty bad.

I'm not sure if Choice or Murray will play in this next game. So hopefully we'll get a chance to see Lonyae run behind the ones.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Speaking of Gronk. I dont really know how we feel about Chapas right now. Havent heard much. They're very similar. I heard some suggest we may even go FB-less...and decide to go with Phillips and keep Rucker on board. Who knows?

Should have drafted John Conner when had the chance. It was interesting to hear us interested in Vontae Leach when he was available.

We could go several ways here.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I do hate to harshly criticize players who are humble and trying to make it in the league, so I'll try not to be a Miller hater. But he'll need to show up in more than just practice, and I'd like the hype machine to chill a bit on him... and the Choice haters to quiet down.

I think Gronk has better hands out of the backfield and that might push Garrett to keeping him. But yeah... really wish we had gotten Leach. He's a beast.