Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I would agree if this were all about Jerry. I really listen to very little of what Jerry says. I trust that Garrett isn't going to sugar coat things.

I also put stock in what Broaddus says and he seems to thing these kids can play.
Meh. Garrett was the OC last year and I don't know about Broaddus, but the media pumped up Sam Young too.

edit: I do suppose Garrett has much more say over personnel decisions than he had in the past, and I like his style, so I won't look at last year's situations exactly like I do this year. Plus, there is a part of me that thinks he got the scoop from Wisconsin's OC about Nagy.

Last edited by D-Unit : 08-30-2011 at 05:56 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:33 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

... but the strategy in personnel choices and development has been a major problem since Parcells left. Why folks are upset now over the OL is beyond me. Just a continuation of the last 3 years. FWIW, the MO to these moves are a great sign for the fans -- the day of big names with big excuses are over.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
... but the strategy in personnel choices and development has been a major problem since Parcells left. Why folks are upset now over the OL is beyond me. Just a continuation of the last 3 years. FWIW, the MO to these moves are a great sign for the fans -- the day of big names with big excuses are over.
See, I don't think personnel has been the problem here. The problem here has been poor coaching by Wade. A team takes on the personna of it's head coach. Wade is relaxed and subdued. Therefore, the team has had no sense of urgency.

This is still, except for the new OL, pretty much the same team that was the #2 ranked defense and won it's division convincingly in 09.

I don't know how anyone that has watched our division rivals this preseason and not think we can compete for this division. The Eagles have some very good pieces, but their OL is worse than ours and the middle of their defense is soft. The Giants look okay on defense but they are going to have real problems scoring points this year. The Skins will be decent, but I'm not scared of anyone with Grossman as thier QB. And what happens if Vick gets dinged, which he has his entire career?

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:57 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great piece at ESPN Dallas. Talking about what alot of us on here have been saying...

I love the folks who cover the Dallas Cowboys, because they're all so grouchy about the team. The Cowboys beat remains one of the last great bastions of skepticism in modern sports journalism. You talk to the people who spend their days around the team and you would think there wasn't one decent player on the roster except maybe DeMarcus Ware, and he needs to speak up more. I think it's the way teams should be covered -- relentless doubt and constant questioning of everything the newsmakers are saying. I've long believed that the beat writers who cover a team, since they examine it so closely every day and see all of the warts and flaws, should be the last ones to admit the team is any good.

Jean-Jacques Taylor is not a beat writer. He's the excellent new columnist for ESPNDallas.com. But he's been covering the Cowboys for a very long time, and I don't imagine he'll mind me lumping him in here. Especially in light of the column he has up right now, which says the Cowboys are in "full-fledged rebuilding mode just like the Buffalo Bills and Cleveland Browns." Jacques considers this a good thing, by the way, since it indicates that Jason Garrett is talking sense to Jerry Jones, but he believes it's going to have a seriously adverse effect on the team's chances this season:
No team with championship aspirations enters a season with essentially three rookies in its offensive line.

The Cowboys, as currently constructed, will win six to eight games.

And that's OK because instead of chasing fool's gold, Garrett is actually building a foundation for the future.

For years, Jerry Jones has convinced himself that his Cowboys were a couple of key players away from winning another title when that's never really been the case. It's certainly not true this season.

If we're honest, Green Bay, New Orleans, Atlanta, Philadelphia and Chicago are all much better than Dallas.

The New York Giants are slightly better, and none of us will be surprised if St. Louis, Detroit and, maybe, Minnesota surpass the Cowboys by the end of the season.

Finally, someone has convinced Jerry his team isn't nearly as talented as he thinks.
[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/James D Smith
After cutting veteran Andre Gurode, the Cowboys are slated to start two rookies on their offensive line.
All due respect to Jacques, nobody's "much better" than anybody in the NFL. And I will be surprised if St. Louis, Detroit and Minnesota turn out to be any better than Dallas. I know everybody's got the Rams and Lions down for sleepers, but I need to see it first. The talent on those rosters isn't nearly as proven as the talent on Dallas' roster, and there are more (and more glaring) holes. Minnesota is on the way down, and Donovan McNabb isn't going to be the answer. And as for the other teams on Jacques' list, the Falcons and Bears look like prime regression candidates to me, and it's not as though the Giants are without their own problems.

A team that has Ware, Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, Felix Jones, Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer and Mike Jenkins on its roster has no reason to consider itself a "rebuilding" team on the order of a Buffalo or Cleveland. Most of the analysis of the Cowboys as they come off a 6-10 season ignores the number of very good players they still have on their roster and locks in on the fact that the 2010 team fell so far short of expectations. All the defense has to do, under a new coordinator and with many of the same players that rampaged through the final months of 2009, is to move up from the very back to the middle of the pack in order to give the very good offense a chance to win games.

As for the offensive line, all we heard out of Dallas last year was how bad the offensive line was. So they make sweeping changes and now we're supposed to believe it's going to be worse? Sure, starting two rookies and a second-year guy is the kind of thing that sounds alarm bells. But it's not as though Tyron Smith, Bill Nagy and Phil Costa are replacing Russ Grimm, Jackie Slater and Anthony Munoz. There's a chance, given a little time together, they could be better on the line than they were last year. They can't be much worse. The Cowboys scored plenty of points last year behind the old line and with Romo on the shelf for the second half.

In the end, I guess my point is that there's a lot of room in the NFL between "rebuilding" and "Super Bowl champion," and I think the Cowboys right now rest in that space. I think they have a pretty good seat up near the front, too.

It's easy to look at the team you see every day and get caught up in the flaws, but every team has flaws. Six teams will make the playoffs from the NFC, and they won't all be great. Some of them will just be pretty good. Heck, last year, one was downright lousy, and it knocked off the defending champs in the first round.

This isn't a league in which a handful of teams contend and the rest don't. This is a league with ample middle ground from which some teams rise to great heights and others tumble. It happens every year, and we never know which teams will rise from the middle and which will fall. The Cowboys can be wisely future-focused and at the same time contend in 2011. These things are not mutually exclusive. It doesn't all have to be one extreme or the other -- not even with the Cowboys. I don't think they'll win their division and coast into the playoffs without a care, but I think they have enough very good players to make them a contender if they stay healthy and things break their way. The NFL has a lot of teams like that, and there's nothing wrong with being one of them.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Frankly, I'm more worried about the kicker than I am the OL.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:58 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
See, I don't think personnel has been the problem here. The problem here has been poor coaching by Wade. A team takes on the personna of it's head coach. Wade is relaxed and subdued. Therefore, the team has had no sense of urgency.

This is still, except for the new OL, pretty much the same team that was the #2 ranked defense and won it's division convincingly in 09.

I don't know how anyone that has watched our division rivals this preseason and not think we can compete for this division. The Eagles have some very good pieces, but their OL is worse than ours and the middle of their defense is soft. The Giants look okay on defense but they are going to have real problems scoring points this year. The Skins will be decent, but I'm not scared of anyone with Grossman as thier QB. And what happens if Vick gets dinged, which he has his entire career?
Difference between 6-10 and 10-6 in the NFL is little to nothing. So, yeah we could be 10-6 and going to a Wild Card.

With that said, I do believe that Player Personnel and Development has been a big problem. Since 2007, Jones thought he was 1-2 players away. Which he was not. Young bodies were sacrificed for short term gain at the expense of long term improvement.

Miles Austin taking 3.5 years to see the field. Doug Free taking 3 years. Giving up on Carpenter after one year. Giving up on Burnett. Giving up on Elam very early. Giving up on Peterman (Lions). Giving up on Lousaka Polite. Going Felix and forgoing Mendenhall. Roy Williams trade. Giving up on Fasano for Bennett. Some of the draft picks like Brewster, the 2 fourth round QBs Stanback and the current back-up. Trade up for Spencer. ....... so, quite a few decisions made ******** development in favor of bigger names or swapping one complimentary player for another and losing value in the process.

I am not arguing all these guy are stars or that what we gave up was any great shakes but those moves have been a burden and cost the team a bit.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Should be worried about kicker, but I like Bailey. I dont have a problem with him at all...but it's probably more likely that they go with Rayner.

As for O-Line...it depends on your expectations for the season. If you expect us to be playoff or division contender...then you should be worried. Because the actually chances that we found a good o-line by this means are not good for the upcoming season. Going into a season with two rookies (one of which was a late 7th rounder) and a second year, former undrafted, green Center. This should worry any fan, of any team. If there is really no worry or doubt then, you have to be a little delusional. It takes years to find the right mix of players along the line...and to think that we're going to have that right mix with rookies and Costa from day one? The percentages themselves are incredibly low. This would be an exteremly rare occurence. And Graziano (sp.)...saying the line couldnt be much worse as a whole? Based off of what? Rookie inexperience could be just as bad, or even worse than the play of declining veterans. We have no idea how Nagy and Costa will fair against starters over the course of a full game. Nagy's upper body strength may not even be of starting NFL quality yet. We're going to find out...and I hope they surprise. But fans should lower their expectations if they expect this line to be an instant upgrade or even be enough to help get us to the playoffs. There's always a chance...but league wide history, would tilt the scales greatly to the side of us struggling, more so than succeeding.

Dallas was a sleeper team for this season...but the moves along the line, could eliminate any real chance of that. Just being a realist, because success with a line built this way, would be very uncommon.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Difference between 6-10 and 10-6 in the NFL is little to nothing. So, yeah we could be 10-6 and going to a Wild Card.

With that said, I do believe that Player Personnel and Development has been a big problem. Since 2007, Jones thought he was 1-2 players away. Which he was not. Young bodies were sacrificed for short term gain at the expense of long term improvement.

Miles Austin taking 3.5 years to see the field. Doug Free taking 3 years. Giving up on Carpenter after one year. Giving up on Burnett. Giving up on Elam very early. Giving up on Peterman (Lions). Giving up on Lousaka Polite. Going Felix and forgoing Mendenhall. Roy Williams trade. Giving up on Fasano for Bennett. Some of the draft picks like Brewster, the 2 fourth round QBs Stanback and the current back-up. Trade up for Spencer. ....... so, quite a few decisions made ******** development in favor of bigger names or swapping one complimentary player for another and losing value in the process.

I am not arguing all these guy are stars or that what we gave up was any great shakes but those moves have been a burden and cost the team a bit.
Hindsight is 20-20 man. And Dallas hasnt missed the majority of the players you listed. Teams strike gold on other team's garbage all the time. Just look around the league, it happens with every team. Every team has bad draft picks as well...it happens. No one said this stuff was easy.

And Doug Free had to go through years of strength training before the coaches even gained confidence in the guy. He took his beatings early in his career. It happens a lot with young lineman, their strength is just not where it needs to be. Add to the fact that Flo and Colombo were actually doing a good job of protecting Tony for a while in there.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-30-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Frankly, I'm more worried about the kicker than I am the OL.
Meh enough solid/potential left on our roster to field a reliable kicker. Between Buehler and our new signing Rayner I'm not too worried. Really can't buy that we'll go with Bailey since he's been are terrible as Buehler and he doesn't have an absolute cannon like the other two potential candidates. I loved that we stashed Kai for 6 weeks though. Getting one of the most highly touted kickers in the draft for a non-roster spot is worth it I imagine :)

Loving the idea of Free-Nagy-Costa-Kosier-Smith. Athletic pass blockers instead of the road grating cement feet of old. Have to imagine we'll be scouring the waiver wire for a potential LG but it has to be encouraging our UDFAs are playing well (Kowalski held his own with the 1st team).
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

It will be interesting to see if Mike Jenkins will play against all the scrubs in our last game. I hope so...It's really scary that both of our starting corners are banged up. lol. Awful. Hopefully Miles sees no ill effects from that hamsting either. Cliche, but true...they linger.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's a no brainer Dan Bailey should win the job. He's got upside to get alot better, Buehler never was or will be an accurate, consistent kicker. He was perfect for what he initially was, which was touchbacks and 45+ FG's. Ironically that was the big knock on Bailey is that he was very inconsistent with the longer kicks, but inside of 40 he was money in the bank.

He made some pretty big kicks too during his time there also, if he takes the job I think he'll end up being alot more consistent which is what we need. With Buehler, I think every single one of us watches a game and knows there is a 50/50 chance of it missing. 20 yards or 50 yards away, extra points, doesn't matter. He's just not a natural at it, and it'll never change.

Bailey is better at everything kicking except leg strength, I'll trade that in for some higher percentages inside of 40.

To my knowledge, we let alot of solid kickers exchange hands relying on Buehler. Neil Rackers anyone? Yea, let's pass on him to wait and see what we have in Buehler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Hindsight is 20-20 man. And Dallas hasnt missed the majority of the players you listed. Teams strike gold on other team's garbage all the time. Just look around the league, it happens with every team. Every team has bad draft picks as well...it happens. No one said this stuff was easy.

And Doug Free had to go through years of strength training before the coaches even gained confidence in the guy. He took his beatings early in his career. It happens a lot with young lineman, their strength is just not where it needs to be. Add to the fact that Flo and Colombo were actually doing a good job of protecting Tony for a while in there.
Well, I am one who thinks we tend to "start them" one year too late instead of "one year" too early.

To me, if by mid second year the coaching staff does not plan on them playing lots in year 3 .... move on ... they will never be, but you gotta have a belief in them and put them on the field year 3 at latest.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

As for O-Line...it depends on your expectations for the season. If you expect us to be playoff or division contender...then you should be worried. Because the actually chances that we found a good o-line by this means are not good for the upcoming season. Going into a season with two rookies (one of which was a late 7th rounder) and a second year, former undrafted, green Center. This should worry any fan, of any team. If there is really no worry or doubt then, you have to be a little delusional. It takes years to find the right mix of players along the line...and to think that we're going to have that right mix with rookies and Costa from day one? The percentages themselves are incredibly low. This would be an exteremly rare occurence. And Graziano (sp.)...saying the line couldnt be much worse as a whole? Based off of what? Rookie inexperience could be just as bad, or even worse than the play of declining veterans. We have no idea how Nagy and Costa will fair against starters over the course of a full game. Nagy's upper body strength may not even be of starting NFL quality yet. We're going to find out...and I hope they surprise. But fans should lower their expectations if they expect this line to be an instant upgrade or even be enough to help get us to the playoffs. There's always a chance...but league wide history, would tilt the scales greatly to the side of us struggling, more so than succeeding.

I'm just curious, what motivation would Jason Garret have to cut offensive lineman who were clearly better? What FA's are we saving cap money for? Who was in the doghouse that resulted in them not playing?

Your talking about fans are delusional if they are not worried, so you mean Jason Garret is worried? Because it's actually his ass that's on the line, so if he's not worried why am I delusional if I'm not? I get that it's a risk, I get that your worried, but why does 1 side always have to be a homer, or delusional, or crazy, or whatever else it ends up?

I know you didn't mean it literal or anything, but while teams(especially ours) make bad moves quite a bit, I think it's ridiculous to assume these guys are cutting players who are clearly better. What agenda does that fit? So we want to be younger and cheaper, so we cut better players to meet the quota?

They see these guys in practice, they know Romo upright and running the ball is important to making everything work that Jason Garret plans to do, but I'm supposed to assume he's cutting offensive lineman that are clearly better, in favor of younger guys just for the hell of it.

There is not going to be a big drop off in offensive line play, just because it's unknown doesn't make it automatically suck. Nor does it make you crazy if you feel the same. Moves like these happen for 1 reason only, they aren't clearly better then the option who is moving into the starting line-up.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm just curious, what motivation would Jason Garret have to cut offensive lineman who were clearly better? What FA's are we saving cap money for? Who was in the doghouse that resulted in them not playing?

Your talking about fans are delusional if they are not worried, so you mean Jason Garret is worried? Because it's actually his ass that's on the line, so if he's not worried why am I delusional if I'm not? I get that it's a risk, I get that your worried, but why does 1 side always have to be a homer, or delusional, or crazy, or whatever else it ends up?

I know you didn't mean it literal or anything, but while teams(especially ours) make bad moves quite a bit, I think it's ridiculous to assume these guys are cutting players who are clearly better. What agenda does that fit? So we want to be younger and cheaper, so we cut better players to meet the quota?

They see these guys in practice, they know Romo upright and running the ball is important to making everything work that Jason Garret plans to do, but I'm supposed to assume he's cutting offensive lineman that are clearly better, in favor of younger guys just for the hell of it.

There is not going to be a big drop off in offensive line play, just because it's unknown doesn't make it automatically suck. Nor does it make you crazy if you feel the same. Moves like these happen for 1 reason only, they aren't clearly better then the option who is moving into the starting line-up.
That's where I have a disagreement. I don't think Garrett is one bit worried about his ass being on the line. It may be on the line in 3-4 years, but definitely not now. That's why he can make these moves and not panic for his ass to be canned.

Moth and I are in agreement that expectations for this year have taken a hit, but it's not to say we don't hope for the best. Or that the team isn't hoping for the best either. Just the odds are against us with this young line.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:

Really? Garrett's position is incredibly safe. He's going to get ample time, they wouldnt be taking risks like this, if Jerry wasnt invested in the guy for the long term. As for cuts...I dont really understand where you're going with that. Colombo and Davis both sucked, I wanted them gone. Gurode is still a good player. They already committed to revamping the line with two rookies and they like Costa, so they strong armed Gurode into leaving. Fully committing to a complete overhaul of the line, with younger players. Does that mean they're even the best players? No it doesnt. If they like Costa, that's fine...but the whole point is, that you're teaming him up with two rookies, which makes the majority of your line incredibly green. We have the line you'd expect to see from a team in complete rebuild mode.

This is crazy to me...look at the history of the league, as I've stated a bunch of times. Two rookies and second year center with one start. Are you kidding me? lol. If you cant see why having these three starting at the same time is worrisome....then I cant help you at all.

Percentages, percentages, percentages. I'm sorry, but any fan that isnt worried about three inexperienced guys on the line. Should really take a look around the league. I hope it works out, I really do. But you have to realize, that a complete overhaul of a line, with additions of rooks and inexperienced players...doesnt bode well in most cases.

I was behind starting two rookies or Smith and Costa...but the fact that now 3/5 of our line are essentially rookies, should spell trouble, based on years of league trends. It's actually common sense. It would be better if we had another veteran in there at either G or C.

I wouldnt be making as big of a deal, if I didnt think we had the talent to contend at other positions. Offensive skill players say playoffs, offensive line...screams rebuilding, as in not contending. You dont make moves like this, if you really have post season aspirations for this season. Because it would make absolutely no sense at all.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-30-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

I understand Gurode refused to restructure, but if he goes to another team and they play him at Guard, I think he could beast it up. I would've been interested in seeing that move here.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

I get that Garrett's job is safe, he's not gonna get fired. But I'm not buying that he's purposely trying to ruin his chances at putting a good product out on the field, especially on the offensive side of the ball. These guys are rookies and/or unproven yes, but I missed the part about where that means we will suck.

I hardly think the line is gonna be worse then last year, the same one that was getting Romo drilled until he was out for the season. So yea, guess I'm delusional and crazy and everything under the sun for not panicking about the offensive line.

I'm sure Garrett specifically wants a worse offensive line out on the field this year if he has anything to do with it. Because that obviously makes the most sense.

Quote:
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Gurode was due $5.5 million and they already committed to two younger lineman...having two rookies starting, is worrisome in itself, so why not go the extra yard, since they were going younger anyway? Complete the youth movement now, instead of later. I can say without a shread of doubt, that I believe Gurode is a better player than both Nagy and Costa, no question.

When I bring up "delusion", I mean it toward fans that expect success with the line we've invested in, right now. To not have a worry at all, makes no sense, if you really think we can contend. Seriously...because this type of line, made up of, pretty much three rookies sees success in the NFL all the time. :/

And I love Nagy...but there is always a chance, he's just the best we got...same with Costa. It's not like the level of competition was amazing. Not like they beat out great, established players to get their jobs. The LG competition consisted of Nagy and Arkin and Gurode never had the opporunity to challenge for his job.

I hate making posts like that...because I do like the young guys...but there is a chance, that it's true. The bottom line, is that you just dont see teams having great success when they have to play three inexperienced lineman along the line. You're banking on hitting on three young players, and it doesnt normally work out that way at all. For as good as they've looked...grouping them all together, one should expect some big struggles.

These are rebuilding type moves...not contending moves.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 08:34 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

If they're good....I'm going being extremely happy, obviously. You may have potentially found 4 long term starters. But the sheer odds of that happening are just not in our favor.

As I said, though...given the talent we've invested in our offensive skill position players. This type of move is incredibly inconsistent and risky in regards to them.

Intent to contend + three "rookie" starters on the O-Line

Just doesnt add up.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 08-30-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I get that Garrett's job is safe, he's not gonna get fired. But I'm not buying that he's purposely trying to ruin his chances at putting a good product out on the field, especially on the offensive side of the ball. These guys are rookies and/or unproven yes, but I missed the part about where that means we will suck.

I hardly think the line is gonna be worse then last year, the same one that was getting Romo drilled until he was out for the season. So yea, guess I'm delusional and crazy and everything under the sun for not panicking about the offensive line.

I'm sure Garrett specifically wants a worse offensive line out on the field this year if he has anything to do with it. Because that obviously makes the most sense.
Sigh. Again for the umteenth millionth time... it's not the cuts that is the problem I see. It's the replacement plan. I would've been more at ease with cutting Gurode had we drafted Stephen Wisneiwski over Bruce Carter or signed Olin Kruetz or some other FA. Or how about both? Daryn Colledge would've been a nice pick up. Cutting Gurode opened up $5/year... isn't that less than what Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl and Davin Joseph signed for? Correct me if I'm wrong.

You guys are loving the change. I get that. I wanted change too. But not this way. You guys may like it this way, but it's a gigantic risk. You say that you missed the part where they suck because they are rookies... Well, let's be clear here... we're not the Eagles who spent their 1st rounder on a Guard. No, we're talking about a 7th rounder who didn't start in college and an UDFA with 4 games under his belt. I'm sorry that I'm not as sold as you are.

I'm not saying Garrett isn't concerned about putting the best 5 players we have out on the field. I'm saying our best 5 players are freaking scary inexperienced and I'm asking WHY WASN'T THERE A BETTER PLAN??? For a team that was so highly invested on an offensive heavy draft and purposeful in their early cuts (Roy, Hurd, Barber, Davis, Colombo) ...and now Gurode... DID THEY REALLY PLAN TO GO INTO THE SEASON THIS WAY? Damn them for not being more aggressive in FA for a Guard and/or Center.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
..... I'm asking WHY WASN'T THERE A BETTER PLAN???
The GM stinks.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:45 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Hurd wasnt cut. lol. Leave that man out of this. :) They actually wanted him back.

Speaking of Carter...Saw we put him on the non-football injury list. So he has to miss 6 weeks. It's for the best anyway, opens up a roster spot and gives him a lot more time to heal up. Not surprised that it'll be a redshirt year for him. Even if they pan out. (Carter/Lee) Please dont make a habit of drafting injured talent. I dont want this to become one of our draft trends.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 08:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
The GM stinks.
The expectation is for our offensive weaponry to carry us, but they won't even fly if the OL is inept. We needed stop gap solutions, even if we did love our young guys and they did perform well in practice and preseason games. Hell, that's what Kosier is anyways. Oh and btw, our only real vet is changing positions too. lol.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Hurd wasnt cut. lol. Leave that man out of this. :) They actually wanted him back.

Speaking of Carter...Saw we put him on the non-football injury list. So he has to miss 6 weeks. It's for the best anyway, opens up a roster spot and gives him a lot more time to heal up. Not surprised that it'll be a redshirt year for him. Even if they pan out. (Carter/Lee) Please dont make a habit of drafting injured talent. I dont want this to become one of our draft trends.
I just can't convince myself that Carter is as good as his draft spot. The decision to draft him will haunt us.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:57 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I like Carter...I just hope he heals up.

I honestly dont know what to think of Lee yet, really. The fact that Brooking is even still around is ridiculous.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS