Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I like Carter...I just hope he heals up.

I honestly dont know what to think of Lee yet, really. The fact that Brooking is even still around is ridiculous.
Lee really just needs to perform. He's been relatively invisible this preason, except on that missed tackle where McGahee clowned him.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:04 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well....I think Carter is going to be a STUD...complete and utter stud.....like...10 year starter...3 time pro bowler type stud. Basically...his career will mimic Keith Brookings. I think he's that type of player, hard nosed, gritty...leader...I hope at least...him and Lee can be what we build around.

We'll be replacing Spencer next year though, and Demarcus Ware will be hitting his downswing in the next year or two....This doesn't even factor in the line and secondary. I hope to god Scandrick and Jenkins makes that leap...and we go DL/Safety heavy in the draft...
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Butler may very well replace Spencer, if Anthony doesnt wake up. Spencer has made some plays this preseason, but Butler has been a man possessed. Based on performance...Butler should actually start, he's just the superior pass rusher.

As for Ware...I wouldnt count on him slowing down anytime soon. 34 OLBs last a long time. And Ware is a freak of nature.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I understand Gurode refused to restructure, but if he goes to another team and they play him at Guard, I think he could beast it up. I would've been interested in seeing that move here.
I think gurodes days of 'beasting out' are over. Just don't think his body will allow it anymore.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Well....I think Carter is going to be a STUD...complete and utter stud.....like...10 year starter...3 time pro bowler type stud. Basically...his career will mimic Keith Brookings. I think he's that type of player, hard nosed, gritty...leader...I hope at least...him and Lee can be what we build around.

We'll be replacing Spencer next year though, and Demarcus Ware will be hitting his downswing in the next year or two....This doesn't even factor in the line and secondary. I hope to god Scandrick and Jenkins makes that leap...and we go DL/Safety heavy in the draft...
I hope you're right about Carter. What makes you so jacked up about him anyways? I want to feel that way.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I think gurodes days of 'beasting out' are over. Just don't think his body will allow it anymore.
We'll see. Wouldn't surprise me either way.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something I've been thinking about is now that we're knee deep in a youth movement upfront (not to mention it's only a matter of time before this defense is completely gutted), how many years away are we from being contenders again. There seems to be a generational gap between the core guys of the team. I guess it's due to some rough drafts between 05-10, but the way I see it guys like Romo, Witten, Newman (obviously) will be past their primes by the time we have a serious contender again. The future of this team and next chance at a superbowl starts with the '10 class IMO.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well....I should probably rephrase...basically we're about to hit the downslope of the core of players we have...We have some Ring of Honor players on our team, and the primes of Witten/Ware are coming to a end...

The end of Romo is what I consider the end of Witten/Ware, it's a shame Parcells retired when he did:(, and Jerry chose Wade..pisses me off to no end actually...I think Romo's actually on a short leash. That's why I really don't consider this oline revamping as "rebuilding"...Rebuilding is what we did after Troy retired..I don't think Jerry or Garrett will go through not having a franchise QB again, and if Romo doesn't get it done in the next 2-3 years or so...we may be having a quarterback controversy on her hands, and finding that franchise QB could undoubtedly waste the remaining great years for players like Ware.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-30-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
I hope you're right about Carter. What makes you so jacked up about him anyways? I want to feel that way.
Lol you accused me of being a homer earlier in reference to the o-line.
I didn't agree.

You can now accuse me of being a homer with this.
With Carter...he's just my pet cat...I think he's just a football player from everything I've seen. His measurables aren't off the chart, but he's got a nose for the ball, and is consistently in a position to make a play. I hope with a year of NFL strength and conditioning that he comes out like gangbusters next year.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-30-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Romo on a short leash? No chance.

But the offensive line decisions certainly lend themselves toward rebuild. Our team has a really odd make up.

The offensive skill position players = win now

Offensive line = win later

Defense = Win now, in theory...but they may not be any good

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 09:46 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
You think 2 more seasons of 6-10 or 8-8 will have Romo going into the 2014 season without competition? Really?

I don't know if I see that...Have you seen the Cowboys fanbase turn on a player? There's already a small faction that wants to get rid of Romo....

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-30-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

One thing I've been wondering about, is Felix Jones workload. He's obviously the guy now and he's also the best option on 3rd downs, imo. He's poised for a big year, but to what extent? I really hope see us feed him the ball. I'm talking a lot...like 275+ carries, a lot. That's like 17ish carries a game, I believe...no reason why we shouldnt give him the ball close to 20 times in every game. And that's carries, not touches. I def. think he's ready for it.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
You think 2 more seasons of 6-10 or 8-8 will have Romo going into the 2014 season without competition? Really?

I don't know if I see that...Have you seen the Cowboys fanbase turn on a player? There's already a small faction that wants to get rid of Romo....
The Cowboys fan base...typically are idiots. And they turn on everyone. Tony is only 31 years old and of pro bowl caliber. Is he really a problem? Is he going to be a problem in a mere 2 years? Not really. If Dallas goes 6-10 or 8-8...I'd venture that would have a lot more to do with the offensive line play or the defense, rather than Tony. We may start looking for a future replacement in a couple of years, but that's still a ways off, imo.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
One thing I've been wondering about, is Felix Jones workload. He's obviously the guy now and he's also the best option on 3rd downs, imo. He's poised for a big year, but to what extent? I really hope see us feed him the ball. I'm talking a lot...like 275+ carries, a lot. That's like 17ish carries a game, I believe...no reason why we shouldnt give him the ball close to 20 times in every game. And that's carries, not touches. I def. think he's ready for it.
With Demarco Murray, I don't think that's possible. I think that's the one pick where we can point expressly to JG, with no influence from Jerry Jones...haha, I just can't understand the pick otherwise....Since JG took over he's never given a RB that type of workload, and I don't see that changing

I certainly would love to see it though.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 08-30-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

But the offensive line decisions certainly lend themselves toward rebuild. Our team has a really odd make up.

The offensive skill position players = win now

Offensive line = win later

Defense = Win now, in theory...but they may not be any good
Outside of Romo and Witten, I think this offense is plenty young. Throw in Phillips and Bennett... we've got youth at TE too. QB is a position that I think we can fly with Romo until he's in his late 30s. The way the offense is built is fine. I don't see a small window there. I just see a lot of growing pains and a lot of our fans don't want to admit it... or they will admit it, but they still think we can win the division, go to the playoffs where anything can happen, even win a SB. haha. Gotta love it.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
With Demarco Murray...I don't see how that's possible. Since JG came here he's never given a RB that type of workload, and I see nothing changing.

I certainly would love to see it though.
We'll see...I think we have something potentially very special in Felix. I'm sure the Titans never intended on having CJ carry the ball 300 times, either. But sometimes you just have to feed your best back the ball. And this offense has always had a better flow to it, when Felix is on the field.

Personally...I actually prefer one back to multiple backs sharing the load. Felix has never shown to be a rhythm back...or one that needs a lot of carries to put up big numbers. But I think the guy has turned himself into an actual feature back, who will sustain his strong play with more carries. I dont think more carries would make him "less dangerous" at all. As is of popular fan opinion. I want Garrett to let the guy loose, but that may just be me. Garrett hasnt proven to be the greatest at shuffling all of his weapons...it'd make his job easier. lol.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Outside of Romo and Witten, I think this offense is plenty young. Throw in Phillips and Bennett... we've got youth at TE too. QB is a position that I think we can fly with Romo until he's in his late 30s. The way the offense is built is fine. I don't see a small window there. I just see a lot of growing pains and a lot of our fans don't want to admit it... or they will admit it, but they still think we can win the division, go to the playoffs where anything can happen, even win a SB. haha. Gotta love it.
I wouldnt say the window is rapidly closing, exactly...I'm just saying we have playoff caliber talent at the skill positions right now. The youthful offensive line could negate or offset some of that talent, however. I know fans dont want to hear that, but how often do these type of offensive lines, that are built this way, work out early, or at all? Just being a realist for this upcoming season.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-30-2011, 10:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Butler may very well replace Spencer, if Anthony doesnt wake up. Spencer has made some plays this preseason, but Butler has been a man possessed. Based on performance...Butler should actually start, he's just the superior pass rusher.

As for Ware...I wouldnt count on him slowing down anytime soon. 34 OLBs last a long time. And Ware is a freak of nature.
I'm wondering how long that transition will take place, because it's obvious Butler is a much better player. He needs to see the field alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I'm wondering how long that transition will take place, because it's obvious Butler is a much better player. He needs to see the field alot.
He still makes mistakes in the run game...but he's all over the field. And even when he makes those mistakes, he's hawking backs down from behind. I couldnt be more impressed with Butler this preseason. It's going to happen sooner or later. You cant keep this guy off the field.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-31-2011, 02:00 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I wouldnt say the window is rapidly closing, exactly...I'm just saying we have playoff caliber talent at the skill positions right now. The youthful offensive line could negate or offset some of that talent, however. I know fans dont want to hear that, but how often do these type of offensive lines, that are built this way, work out early, or at all? Just being a realist for this upcoming season.
Yep. That OL is the key to everything on offense, and they are unproven with a capital U.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:25 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First: Dan Bailey as a kicker. >.< Are you guys nuts? He looks just as bad as Buehler. At this point the fact we have brought in Dave Rayner, Shayne Graham, and stashed Kai until week 6 on the NFI list it shows we have no faith in Buehler/Bailey (thank God). Keeping my fingers crossed that Kai shows a lot once he's able to practice and becomes our kicker midseason.

Second: I completely understand the fear about starting the Yuglies (thanks BtB) but this is Hudson Houck we are talking about. He's done this before he took a Charger's oline that was mediocre at best in 2003 and started FIVE new guys including 2 rookies.

Per BtB:
Quote:
In 2004 he broke in five new guys, including two rookies and two veteran free agent signings. From left to right the Chargers started Roman Oben, Toniu Fonoti, Nick Hardwick, Mike Goff and Shane Olivea and San Diego went 12-4. Hardwick and Olivea were rookies that year.
If Garrett can scheme an offense that allows Kitna to perform like a middle tier starting QB even with Mr. Overrated (Gurode), Biggs, and O-le! (Columbo) on the line in front of him why all the fuss about him scheming for an oline that suits his offense? Our offensive line last year was a travesty and the replacements on the line for each match or exceed the performance level thus far in preseason. Gurode is the only iffy statement there but go back and watch Kowalski (undrafted FA) in the Vikings game or Costa previously when healthy and I'm not seeing a dropoff. Am I saying we are a super bowl caliber team? No. Do I think we make the playoffs or barely miss out? Yes.

The biggest gripe we could have is that we haven't been in position to draft our future olineman and that Jerry doesn't move up for the oline. Be happy Garrett is moving forward with youth rather than the "Only 1 or 2 pieces are needed for the SB trophy" approach that Jerry has been carrying.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I believe Felix has to be ready to carry the load this year. Unless Choice or Murray really show something, Felix will be the man getting 20+ touches a game. And then you can sprinkle in like 5-10 touches with the other backs. Of course Felix needs to show that he can stay healthy. That has been the biggest knock on him to date. He hasn't lasted a complete year yet healthy.

As far as our offense is concerned, like all of you have been saying it is a youth movement minus Romo and Witten. And I like it and very excited to see the OL gel together and prove all the naysayers wrong.

Defense is a little long in the tooth on paper, but you've got Lee, Carter and Scandrik that aren't penciled in as starters. At any rate, like I keep saying over and over the D has a lot to prove this year.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Andre Gurode have anything left in the tank?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Absolutely
Old 08-31-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Does Andre Gurode have anything left in the tank?
I don't think he has much. Now, let me say that I think he's going to struggle this year because of the knee. If he rehabs well next offseason, I could see him coming back NEXT season have have a decent year.

The problem is that when you have older players that start to have some injury issues and have been paid, they tend to not work as hard in the offseason. If Gurode works his butt off this next offseason, he could be a factor for someone next year. I personally don't see that happening.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote