Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Erik Walden sack...good for him.
Who knew Walden would be better than Spencer. lol.

I remember him having a pretty intense workout video on youtube, but he has really come into his own since leaving us.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Who knew Walden would be better than Spencer. lol.

I remember him having a pretty intense workout video on youtube, but he has really come into his own since leaving us.
He had some strength problems with us, he was getting moved around. He's been hitting those weights hard. Sometimes that's all some guys really need. Very prominent among rookie offensive lineman. But yeah, he's not too bad now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Yeah, he has to start because of that recent Goff injury.
He has impressed. That is why he is playing.

GMen could have brought back Kavika Mitchell and Chase Blackburn but refused so far.

Kid is a player.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post

GMen could have brought back Kavika Mitchell and Chase Blackburn but refused so far.

Kid is a player.
Really though, he's starting because of an injury, impressive or not. It's not like he would have started over Goff. They've actually brought both of them back for workouts...but I'm sure they're still prepared to roll with Jones, unless he just really sucks in the early get go. But lets not go overboard with praise just yet, he would be right on the bench if it wasnt for Goff going down. I didnt like the pick either, but a healthy Bruce Carter is a far superior prospect.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-08-2011, 10:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post

Kid is a player.
This reminds me of your love for Justin King all over again. :)

Jones may end up having a nice career for the GMen. He was a tackle machine in college.... BUT he's not a 3-4 ILB. Pretty sure it was a slow 40 time at the combine that did him in. I think I vaguely remember that.

You must be happy that Abram Elam has returned though, right?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont know about Rob, but I'm happy Elam is back. It's a perfect fit. And Elam was a good Cowboy, who just got edged out for one of our last roster spots back in the day. He's gone on to have a solid career.

I def. dont miss a lot of the guys Rob seems to, but Elam is a good player.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
Really though, he's starting because of an injury, impressive or not. It's not like he would have started over Goff. They've actually brought both of them back for workouts...but I'm sure they're still prepared to roll with Jones, unless he just really sucks in the early get go. But lets not go overboard with praise just yet, he would be right on the bench if it wasnt for Goff going down. I didnt like the pick either, but a healthy Bruce Carter is a far superior prospect.
I like productive players who don't get injured. How they play in shorts is not interesting.

Jones was one productive MOFO.

Last edited by yanksknicks : 09-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Greg Jones got passed over and over by a bunch of teams. It's not like there was a Brandon Spikes type of talen in the 2nd round we passed that we are arguing, at least that has validity. Jones is an average player who will likely be replaced next year when they draft another LB early. He's a solid player but IMO just a JAG. Goff was a solid player for them to, but they weren't going to be in any hurry to re-sign him.

I'd take Carter over Jones 10x out of 10. Bruce Carter wasn't all hype, he has great film to boot and it's not hard to see who the superior player and athlete is. There is a reason why nobody else drafted Greg Jones before he did.

Also the Tyron Smith injury sucks, but I hope no one is saying we should have kept Columbo because of it for "good depth". Ask any Miami fan how Columbo has played so far. He's been all out trash. It doesn't make it good depth just because he used to start at one point. Everyone in Miami wants him cut already, he's been finished a long time ago.

Jets were gonna give our line fits no matter who was out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
espn_macmahon: $40 million, $18 millon guaranteed RT @toddarcher: Just filed to @ESPNDallas - Cowboys reach 5-year extension with Pro Bowl NT Jay Ratliff.

FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:34 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That should've been done before Scandrick. He was severly underpaid and an All-Pro. Yes I'm worried how much he has left, but if Brent-Price can end up being the NT alot of us think Ratliff could have a longer shelf life at end.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2011, 11:38 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it, only if we move him to DE. If he stays at NT, terrible move..
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We saw a bunch of plays with Price at NT and Ratliff at DE. Ryan isn't a conventional set and go type coordinator...so I'm not too worried about it. Ratliff outplayed his last contract...as long as he continues to be disruptive the deal will be a win/win.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:56 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Something interesting to note from Archer today.

Quote:
The visual evidence of an improved defense in 2011 under new coordinator Rob Ryan wasn’t really there, but it helps that they will start the season against offenses that do not appear to be among the NFL’s best in the New York Jets, San Francisco, Washington and Detroit.
I don't see any excuses for our defense until the Detroit game. Even then they should be one dimensional. All we need to see over our first 4 weeks is defensive improvement. As long as we are seeing progression our team should be in good position to try and make a playoff push.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Jets and Detroit are still gonna shred us. We don't have any CB's this week so Holmes is gonna go nuts and Plax should score, hell Keller also. We don't have anyone to even slow Calvin down remotely or stop him from scoring every possesion.

It kinda reminds me of the Broncos game for some reason. 2 years ago I believe. Marshall was playing and he had that huge TD at the end where he ran all over the field on us and Newman looked like a 4th grader. That is seemling what happens to our secondary when we face elite WR's. SF and Wash helps but were gonna make the Jets look like the Packers.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Jets and Detroit are still gonna shred us. We don't have any CB's this week so Holmes is gonna go nuts and Plax should score, hell Keller also. We don't have anyone to even slow Calvin down remotely or stop him from scoring every possesion.

It kinda reminds me of the Broncos game for some reason. 2 years ago I believe. Marshall was playing and he had that huge TD at the end where he ran all over the field on us and Newman looked like a 4th grader. That is seemling what happens to our secondary when we face elite WR's. SF and Wash helps but were gonna make the Jets look like the Packers.
If Sanchez can beat us...they deserve to win. I'd say he doesn't have a chance..but this is a very similar defense to the one that made some of the worst QB's in the league look like future HOF last year. Either way you must stop the run against them and make sanchez beat you. On offense you have to win in the interior so that we can attach the edges. Balance is going to win this game...just depends on who has it.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
If Sanchez can beat us...they deserve to win. I'd say he doesn't have a chance..but this is a very similar defense to the one that made some of the worst QB's in the league look like future HOF last year. Either way you must stop the run against them and make sanchez beat you. On offense you have to win in the interior so that we can attach the edges. Balance is going to win this game...just depends on who has it.
What is your avy all about???

I'm envisioning a lot of screens to Felix Jones on Sunday. A big game by Felix is a must in order for us to win.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woah hating on the contract extension for Rat? He's one of the premier players at his position and we signed him to a 5 yr EXTENSION (comes into play AFTER 2012) with just 18 million guaranteed. Meanwhile for the next two seasons he'll be getting paid between 3 and 4 million. Not a bad deal for a pro bowl NT.

#1 thing to look for in Ryan's defense is does the team play. Do they quit on plays, give lackluster effort, and commit mental errors for big plays? If he changed those three and I see reason why we will lose to the Jets.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What is your avy all about???

I'm envisioning a lot of screens to Felix Jones on Sunday. A big game by Felix is a must in order for us to win.
Agree. Those types of things have to happen for us to 'manage' the Jets blitz. There's no way we will pick up everything. They will get to Romo a couple of times, but if we can hit a couple screens and/or draws for big gains, maybe we can slow them down a bit.

I also think more than anything, it will be imperative that we weather the storm early. There will be lots of emotion and they will be really active early. If we can hang in there and let the young kids get comfotable, I think we can win this thing late.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of the Ratliff extension. Last year he wasn't very good for us and it looks like that has carried over into the pre-season. He doesn't make those impact plays behind the LOS anymore and gets manhandled in the run game. Maybe they did this with a move to DE in the works, but even then based on last year's performance he did not deserve this contract. I've said it on this board before, but this DLine has become soft and that usually starts with your nose.

This is right up there with the Scandrick extension for me, actually might be worse when you consider their age difference. Scandrick still has the potential to improve, Ratliff is about to hit his decline.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 09-09-2011 at 01:59 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:58 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

If you go by that logic then we should put up 50 points a game because of our offensive weapons....

If there is one thing I have learned while watching pro sports, and especially the NFL, the matchups and paper can be completely opposite of what you think should happen on sunday. Look at our teams the past 4 years. We should have won alot more, but we didn't. Anything can happen. We also didn't have Jenkins or Newman all pre-season.

We'll see what happens sunday night. This team will be ready to play. Garrett is for real.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:39 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I love to see Ratliff get paid...the guy is still one of the truly elite defensive tackles in the league. He had a bit of a down year, but he's one guy I'm not worried about at all.

Dont worry about the length, really. Great veterans get deals like this all the time, he'll probably never see that 5th year. Just like Spears will in no way, live out that entire extension he received.

But yeah, I'm happy for Rat. I'd love to see the guy play his entire career in Dallas.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-09-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

It's hard to project anything for us right now. Our offensive line may end up being this huge burden, that fans dont even realize. And they may not. And our defense, may never fully grasp Ryan's scheming. And they may be great. lol.

There are just too many questions to make a bunch of season's length predictions right now. We've had a lot of turn over on the offensive line, and it's a brand new defensive scheme. Just gotta give it a few games, to really get an idea what we're in store for.

I will say this, though...I do think the chances of us being bad, are better than the chances of us being good, at least.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 09-09-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
IRVING, Texas -- Like they did with DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin earlier this summer, the Dallas Cowboys have re-worked the contract of Tony Romo to save $6.552 million against the 2011 salary cap, according to sources. As a result the Cowboys have roughly $18 million in salary cap room as they enter the season.
That's pretty good...18 million under...which can be pushed into the 2012 season unless they're still planning to pick up a FA or two.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:03 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
If you go by that logic then we should put up 50 points a game because of our offensive weapons....

And by what logic might that be? If we played a team with our secondary every week we would score 50 points a game. It's not just who we play, it's who we have covering them.

Quote:

If there is one thing I have learned while watching pro sports, and especially the NFL, the matchups and paper can be completely opposite of what you think should happen on sunday. Look at our teams the past 4 years. We should have won alot more, but we didn't. Anything can happen. We also didn't have Jenkins or Newman all pre-season.

We'll see what happens sunday night. This team will be ready to play. Garrett is for real.

This I do agree with. Crazy things happen in the NFL, but I'm not holding my breath. What does not having Newman & Jenkins in the pre-season have to do with anything though? Not sure I follow...All we know is that it means our bad secondary is even worse, that's the only clear cut answer I get from that.

I want to win too, but our secondary is worse then our offensive line is and it's not even close. I don't think people realize how bad we actually are at Safety and CB. Jenkins not being a lockdown #1 guy hurts, not drafting any safeties ever hurts also.

Rahim Moore starts for Denver at FS right now, good centerfielder and a big upgrade over anything we have :(

Quote:
Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Also something I read I found interesting, is that Danny Watkins has played pretty bad and lost his starting job. Not a huge deal because it's early, but he's a 1st rounder, and pretty old so you'd like to think he would have been much better early on.

I know I wanted him pretty high on our board as a 2nd rder, alot of us did as well. Looks like we may have 1 or 2 possibly from the same draft off to a better start then he is, which makes me feel a bit better about our line.

Quote: