Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:33 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
That's pretty good...18 million under...which can be pushed into the 2012 season unless they're still planning to pick up a FA or two.
We'll still be kind of strapped for next year by most reports, because of all the dead money against the cap. But they'll probably find a way to work around it. 2013, Dallas should have a **** ton of cash.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Also something I read I found interesting, is that Danny Watkins has played pretty bad and lost his starting job. Not a huge deal because it's early, but he's a 1st rounder, and pretty old so you'd like to think he would have been much better early on.

I know I wanted him pretty high on our board as a 2nd rder, alot of us did as well. Looks like we may have 1 or 2 possibly from the same draft off to a better start then he is, which makes me feel a bit better about our line.
Can't be true. Dallas is the only team that doesn't draft well. ;)

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rahim Moore starts for Denver at FS right now, good centerfielder and a big upgrade over anything we have :(
Shhh... A lot of people here still think Bruce Carter will be our starting ILB for the next decade.

*a thought that makes me laugh*
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Can't be true. Dallas is the only team that doesn't draft well. ;)
We draft well... it just happens to be every other year. LOL.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Not a fan of the Ratliff extension. Last year he wasn't very good for us and it looks like that has carried over into the pre-season. He doesn't make those impact plays behind the LOS anymore and gets manhandled in the run game. Maybe they did this with a move to DE in the works, but even then based on last year's performance he did not deserve this contract. I've said it on this board before, but this DLine has become soft and that usually starts with your nose.

This is right up there with the Scandrick extension for me, actually might be worse when you consider their age difference. Scandrick still has the potential to improve, Ratliff is about to hit his decline.
I echo this sentiment. Ratliff is a very good player, but he's not a great player. A great player is a complete player and Ratliff is and always has been a liability against the run. I'm hoping Ryan's scheme will move him around enough where he's not just utilized as your typical 34 NT, but will also move him around along the DL. I think his value is greatest when you put him in a place where his job is to penetrate the LOS or attack the flats. Asking him to hold his ground is basically asking him to do the impossible.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Rahim Moore starts for Denver at FS right now, good centerfielder and a big upgrade over anything we have :(
I don't think we know this. Too soon to know if Moore is a player. I don't think for one minute that he is better than Elam and sense RIGHT NOW!

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Another awful deal. Yuck.

Has the GM every heard of letting a player, play out his contract?

Especially guy on the wrong side of the age game?
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Another awful deal. Yuck.

Has the GM every heard of letting a player, play out his contract?

Especially guy on the wrong side of the age game?
It's really dumb and it's one of the things that irritate me about Jerry...

Just when you think things are getting better with Stephen in charge... it's starting to look "like father, like son".
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

One matchup that hasn't been talked about much that I think is pretty heavy in our favor is ware and Spencer against brick and hunter.

I think the jets should really be worried about this matchup.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
One matchup that hasn't been talked about much that I think is pretty heavy in our favor is ware and Spencer against brick and hunter.

I think the jets should really be worried about this matchup.
To be fair, Spencer does not create fear in an opponents minds. Since we only have Ware, I think the Jets will be able to focus enough attention on him. IMO, we need an ample dose of Victor Butler, and we need him to step up. Hopefully then we can provide good pressure.

I really don't know what match up on defense we can rely on against them. I guess it'll be Scandrick on Holmes... Jenkins/Ball on Plaxico... Who's gonna match up against Dustin Keller?
Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
To be fair, Spencer does not create fear in an opponents minds. Since we only have Ware, I think the Jets will be able to focus enough attention on him. IMO, we need an ample dose of Victor Butler, and we need him to step up. Hopefully then we can provide good pressure.

I really don't know what match up on defense we can rely on against them. I guess it'll be Scandrick on Holmes... Jenkins/Ball on Plaxico... Who's gonna match up against Dustin Keller?
I think our waffles will be okay. Remember, Sanchez isn't exactly the most accurate passer in the league.

And I think Spencer bounces back and has a good year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I think our waffles will be okay. Remember, Sanchez isn't exactly the most accurate passer in the league.

And I think Spencer bounces back and has a good year.
I hope you're right about Spencer. ...but at some point you just have to believe what your eyes tell you. I think the dude is a toad.

Sanchez could have a breakout year... 3rd year in the same system and he did come out as a Junior. He's got the OL and the weapons... we will find out. I'm excited and I can't wait! I think we can beat them.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
It's really dumb and it's one of the things that irritate me about Jerry...

Just when you think things are getting better with Stephen in charge... it's starting to look "like father, like son".
And I love Ratliff. It is like every single nickle in his pocket is on fire and needs to escape into a player's pocket.

The money this ate up could have been used for an OL or two in FA.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
We'll still be kind of strapped for next year by most reports, because of all the dead money against the cap. But they'll probably find a way to work around it. 2013, Dallas should have a **** ton of cash.
Well yea, i've read the same, but I also read much of the cap room that we've cleared this year can be prorated to next year...so we won't be AS strapped if we would've made some big moves(aka Nmandi).
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
And I love Ratliff. It is like every single nickle in his pocket is on fire and needs to escape into a player's pocket.

The money this ate up could have been used for an OL or two in FA.
Are you talking about signing an OL in 2012 FA? Or one now?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Are you talking about signing an OL in 2012 FA? Or one now?
My understanding is this contract extension was done by restructuring some other players deals. So I am assuming this year.

Next year is not something I would complain about in terms of player personnel. Who knows about next year.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
My understanding is this contract extension was done by restructuring some other players deals. So I am assuming this year.

Next year is not something I would complain about in terms of player personnel. Who knows about next year.
Any OL out there in FA you like?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Nah that was before all the restructuring. New CBA allows you to move money year to year. So 18 mil extra this year - 20 mil dead cap next year = 2 mil dead. Overall we traded the ability to be flexible in 2013 and beyond for the ability to be flexible this year and next.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Nah that was before all the restructuring. New CBA allows you to move money year to year. So 18 mil extra this year - 20 mil dead cap next year = 2 mil dead. Overall we traded the ability to be flexible in 2013 and beyond for the ability to be flexible this year and next.
It really depends...because those restructured deals revert back to those big base salaries next year. Even if you kill the majority of that dead money, Dallas may be close to the cap ceiling. Just like they were at the start of this off-season.

They have no high priced FAs coming off the books...and Miles, Romo, and Ware's contracts will count in full, initially, opposed to counting as the veteran minimum right now, which freed up all that cap relief in the first place.

You offset the dead money with the cap relief roll over, but you're still not in an amazing situation.

I really wouldnt worry too much about it, though. Because they've shown time and time again, that they can clear room.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:11 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a little something to back up my comments about Rat's extension.

2008: 83 tackles, 7.5 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, 31 QB pressures

2009: 83 tackles, 7.0 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 33 QB pressures

2010: 34 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 0 tackles for loss, 10 QB pressures

It just makes no sense to reward him after last season, especially when we have him locked up another 2 years. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, Ratliff was BAD last year. It's a joke that he made the pro-bowl. What makes this move even more bizarre is that he's still looked bad throughout the pre-season. Management is sending a mixed message with this extension and Scandrick's extension, and it's says "We don't really base our cuts or extensions off any logic."

Signing off, I'll leave you with this:

Last edited by TheFinisher : 09-10-2011 at 08:17 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:25 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Any OL out there in FA you like (better than the 3 novices we now have)?
I had to edit for clarification, but yes. I could pick a few from here.....

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/ol.html

Last edited by yanksknicks : 09-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 AM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:

It just makes no sense to reward him after last season, especially when we have him locked up another 2 years. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it, Ratliff was BAD last year. It's a joke that he made the pro-bowl. What makes this move even more bizarre is that he's still looked bad throughout the pre-season. Management is sending a mixed message with this extension and Scandrick's extension, and it's says "We don't really base our cuts or extensions off any logic."

Ratliff deal is worse than Scandrick.

I expect Scandrick to be better. Not Ratliff.

I expect to resign Scandrick after his rookie deal expires. Not Ratliff.

Why can't we trade Ratliff to Oakland for a first rounder like all the other smart teams????????

And with respect to Scandrick ... why pay a guy when he has not earned it???? This is like an Al Davis move shelling out huge cash for "fast guys" who have never played well.

Last edited by yanksknicks : 09-10-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I liked the Scandrick signing, not excited about the Ratliff signing...

I asked a few pages back whether folks wanted Jerry to be more "Pittsburgh or Philly like" in their approach, and everyone rationalized that Ratliff still had a bunch in the tank. Now he's a 30 year old cowboy for life playing out of position..

Although I think he has a beastly year under Rob, and probably next year....but that's moreso because he'll be in a position to succeed...IE. Whenever he's playing DE.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 09-10-2011 at 09:05 AM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whether or not you want to argue if Ratliff should be playing DE or NT is a completely different story, but to call him "out of position" is simply ridiculous. Or did you miss the fact that he made the All-Pro team playing NT? I'd prefer to kick him over too, but let's not overreact to small deals like this. We are sitting with 18 million in cap room, who did you guys want to save the money for?

It needed to be done, plus we need to focus on contracts not being what they used to. Peyton Manning can be released next season without any cap penalities or locked up money, and he was just signed to 100 million dollars. You mean to tell me if Ratliff falls off that we just can't part ways like we have been for all other declining players.

The contract isn't making things any different, he was underpaid for years anyway. At least he is playing at a pro bowl level right now, Scandrick was terrible for large portions and never as big of a play-maker that Rat has always been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 09-10-2011 at 12:21 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

OUCH. That is some brutal truth right there.