Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
Yeah anyone who wants to move Henry to safety is dumb. Pat Watkins is our starter there and I like him. A 6-5 ballhawk, we were all gettin a boner off him last year. Why can't we be patient with some of these guys? Watkins and Carp will be starters for the Cowboys so get used to it.
Henry played some safety last week. Glenn played some safety versus Indy.

So what you say to that?

But, I think any Cowboy fan would prefer, pray, hope wish Watkins to develop. That is the best hope but .......

I think he can and his play last few weeks is proof of improvement and potential .... potential still.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Thule, I know you are an ND guy but wow. A few thoughts from the game.

Zibby is not a Day 1 pick.

JaMarcus is a better prospect that Bradie. Bigger, Bigger Arm, Better mobility and more accurate with the ball. If Raiders don't take him -- they are nuts.

Bradie's performance versus the better teams on the ND schedule has been very bad. I know there is an overall talent gap but still. Even if you buy argument then you should then discount his great performance playing the 3 academies and other bottom tier talent.

ND needs some speed.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:37 AM    (permalink
The Fat Kid
Pro Bowler

The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid The Fat Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpl85
Do any of yall actually live in the Seattle area, do you know what the weather is supposed to be like for the game? Thanks.

low forties, rainy and breezy

sig by CalBears99
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu
I HAVE ISSUES!
The Fat Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll see what we can do in the playoffs, but even if we lose in the first round, we have not to forget that we have a young and very talented group..
We just need to wait and see how they will perform next year.. But we are set for many years, we have not many holes and we can be a very succesful team for a long time..
The pass rush problem could be solve this off-season. I still think that's a scheme problem, not players. Look at San Diego, they generate pressure even without Philipps and Merriman and that's because they have a very good 3-4 DC.. That's what we need on defense, because we have a lot of talented players.. I will still pick Nelson, Griffin or Landry if avaible. Watkins has potential, but those 3 have superstar potential. On offense we need a G, maybe a T and maybe a young WR to develope..

I don't want TO to go. He is our best offensive weapon and we have no one on our roster who can be a threat like him.. He's the most important reason why we have a good offense even without an amazing running game.. And no, Austin CAN'T replace Owens. He has potential, speed, size and so on, but he has shown me NOTHING. He went undrafted, and the fact that he is similar to Colston means NOTHING.
TO is TO. He makes some drops and so on, but there aren't many players like him. He can dominate a game as only a few WRs can do. I can't see an undrafted FA who has seen zero playing time this year replacing him.
I want Dwayne Bowe or someone like him to develope under TO wings..

And talking about the draft I want on of this players in the first two rounds:

Manuel Ramirez
Michael Griffin
Reggie Nelson
Dwayne Bowe
Daymon Hughes
Justin Blalock

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:27 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano
We'll see what we can do in the playoffs, but even if we lose in the first round, we have not to forget that we have a young and very talented group..
We just need to wait and see how they will perform next year.. But we are set for many years, we have not many holes and we can be a very succesful team for a long time..
The pass rush problem could be solve this off-season. I still think that's a scheme problem, not players. Look at San Diego, they generate pressure even without Philipps and Merriman and that's because they have a very good 3-4 DC.. That's what we need on defense, because we have a lot of talented players.. I will still pick Nelson, Griffin or Landry if avaible. Watkins has potential, but those 3 have superstar potential. On offense we need a G, maybe a T and maybe a young WR to develope..

I don't want TO to go. He is our best offensive weapon and we have no one on our roster who can be a threat like him.. He's the most important reason why we have a good offense even without an amazing running game.. And no, Austin CAN'T replace Owens. He has potential, speed, size and so on, but he has shown me NOTHING. He went undrafted, and the fact that he is similar to Colston means NOTHING.
TO is TO. He makes some drops and so on, but there aren't many players like him. He can dominate a game as only a few WRs can do. I can't see an undrafted FA who has seen zero playing time this year replacing him.

Manuel Ramirez
Michael Griffin
Reggie Nelson
Dwayne Bowe
Daymon Hughes
Justin Blalock
Looks exactly like mine. love it.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Quote:

Manuel Ramirez
Michael Griffin
Reggie Nelson
Dwayne Bowe
Daymon Hughes
Justin Blalock
You think it is just a scheme problem?

I think it is good talent acquisition in the draft and training. SD has hit a hot streak with the dead GM and the current one.

Phillips and Merriman are impressive physical talents. 6'3 / 6'4, 260-270, Under 4.65.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:

Manuel Ramirez
Michael Griffin
Reggie Nelson
Dwayne Bowe
Daymon Hughes
Justin Blalock
Can't argue with the players picked. Looks fine.

I would add a Marshawn Lynch if he falls. Our Tailback situation is not stellar. Need a more instinctive runner with break away speed.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:

Manuel Ramirez
Michael Griffin
Reggie Nelson
Dwayne Bowe
Daymon Hughes
Justin Blalock
Austin has shown nothing? Wow. Don't ya think that is a little harsh?

He may, or may not, develop but Austin has as much talent as Bowe.

Not only that GMs are starting to come to the realization that so much talent in college is going into the WR position that you can get good value later in the draft.

But both the LSU WR guys are really good.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Completed a 2 Round Mock the other day.

I have the Cowboys selecting Levi Brown in Round 1 and Jarvis Moss in Round 2.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink

How would you guys rank your top needs in the upcoming offseason?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
How would you guys rank your top needs in the upcoming offseason?
OG
S
NT
WR
OT/CB (not sure)

That's my opinion.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any of you guys seen the new stadium development? I've got some pics on my phone from when I was down in Arlington (visiting grandparents) of the site. It's about 4 miles away from their house.

Not much going on except for about 3 cranes and a pile of dirt but I'll try to download them on my computer and get them on here.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34
Any of you guys seen the new stadium development? I've got some pics on my phone from when I was down in Arlington (visiting grandparents) of the site. It's about 4 miles away from their house.

Not much going on except for about 3 cranes and a pile of dirt but I'll try to download them on my computer and get them on here.
There's a whole website dedicated to it, and it looks SICK.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Jdallas
Pro Bowler

Jdallas hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdallas
Henry's best asset is his ability to play physical press coverage. His biggest liability is he gives up some big plays.

How does that make you want to move him to safety?
Well if we play more 2 Deep Zone to cover up for Roy and Watkins then Henry is also not being used to his best.

So what is the solution? Go back to Cover 1 in order to play into Roy and Anthony's strengths but pray Watkins develops or a pash rush develops????

To me, there is philosophy that need to emerge here on what kind of D makes sense. Based on selecting a strategy, personnel moves make sense.

I assume this team is moving towards a predominately 2 Deep Zone coverage scheme. So Press Corners are not as important. Everything I have read is this where teams are moving b/c of the way the rules have changed to benefit receivers.

But tell me the D we want and I have some ideas on personnel.
Safeties playing a 2 deep zone and running a cover 2 are two very different things.

In a pure cover 2 pass defense everyone is in zone and it wouldn't be the best for the way Henry plays pass defense, but it does increase effectiveness versus the run. However, it's obvious the we're not playing this type of defense very often because it also takes care of the RBs in the flat.

You can run man or zone with safeties 2 deep, because all it means is the safeties are playing deep halves of the field to prevent the big play. This seems to play right into Henry's style of physical coverage while occasionally getting beat deep. The safeties are back there to help cover up Henry's weakness.

It seems to me that the 2 deep zone on passing downs is exactly what our defense needs most of the time because you can disguise so many coverages off of it and it fits the skills of our top 2 CBs.

Desings by D-Unit
Jdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34

There's a whole website dedicated to it, and it looks SICK.
Well it should be for $1 billion.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:15 PM    (permalink
dpl85
Pro Bowler

dpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairdpl85 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Some interesting articles...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6...<br /> <br />http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/010407cpcowlede.32083bf.html

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/...s.2b8e605.html

Damn I'm not very good at posting links. Two of the articles are about the Seahawks terrible injury depleted secondary, they actually signed Pete Hunter. The other one was about Parcells talking about his and Jerry's plan for after the season where he kinda sounded like he was planning on retiring but that's just speculation on my part.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Henry's best asset is his ability to play physical press coverage. His biggest liability is he gives up some big plays.

Well if we play more 2 Deep Zone to cover up for Roy and Watkins then Henry is also not being used to his best.

So what is the solution? Go back to Cover 1 in order to play into Roy and Anthony's strengths but pray Watkins develops or a pash rush develops????

To me, there is philosophy that need to emerge here on what kind of D makes sense. Based on selecting a strategy, personnel moves make sense.

I assume this team is moving towards a predominately 2 Deep Zone coverage scheme. So Press Corners are not as important. Everything I have read is this where teams are moving b/c of the way the rules have changed to benefit receivers.

Safeties playing a 2 deep zone and running a cover 2 are two very different things.

In a pure cover 2 pass defense everyone is in zone and it wouldn't be the best for the way Henry plays pass defense, but it does increase effectiveness versus the run. However, it's obvious the we're not playing this type of defense very often because it also takes care of the RBs in the flat.

You can run man or zone with safeties 2 deep, because all it means is the safeties are playing deep halves of the field to prevent the big play. This seems to play right into Henry's style of physical coverage while occasionally getting beat deep. The safeties are back there to help cover up Henry's weakness.

It seems to me that the 2 deep zone on passing downs is exactly what our defense needs most of the time because you can disguise so many coverages off of it and it fits the skills of our top 2 CBs.
I am sorry JDallas but is not Cover - 2 a man scheme as the name may indicate and 2 - Deep a zone scheme? These two concepts cover the general idea of keeping safeties far back. Cover - 2 = Man. 2 Deep = Zone.

Always wrinkles but talking generics.

Cover 1 to me indicates Watkins in Centerfield with Roy either blitzing, playing Rover or covering someone (TE or RB) in man or double.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But if Henry, as you say, is a press corner then does that not normally mean man-to-man bump-n-run .... unless you want him to bimp at the line and then move back into a zone.

I agree if playing 2 Deep Zone we should try to tie-up the receivers as much as possible at the line. Our Corners are big and can tackle so then they could cover the flats.

But even in 2 - Deep with the Corners playing off we should not be having issues in the flats.

Either way, I think the biggest issue with any coverage is pass rush so.....
Old 01-04-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit

hey d-unit!! welcome back. where ya been?
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Poet3334
Rookie

Poet3334 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit

I really like it. I think we're going edge rusher with one of our first 3 picks. Moss would fit nicely. I say G or T, and probably a corner with the other.

"You know what charm is: a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question."
Albert Camus
Poet3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
jetBLACK08

I am tired of waiting till next year. EVERY year, we say that the boys will bloom the next year but it never happens.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am sorry JDallas but is not Cover - 2 a man scheme as the name may indicate and 2 - Deep a zone scheme? These two concepts cover the general idea of keeping safeties far back. Cover - 2 = Man. 2 Deep = Zone.

Cover 1 to me indicates Watkins in Centerfield with Roy either blitzing, playing Rover or covering someone (TE or RB) in man or double.

You are so wrong.

Cover 2 = everyone in zone coverage. CBs staying up in the flats...LB's in the Middle spread across the field and safeties deep.

Cover 2 man = Everyone in man to man..but both safeties are deep covering their half of the field. Thus they are over the top help.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are so wrong.

Cover 2 = everyone in zone coverage. CBs staying up in the flats...LB's in the Middle spread across the field and safeties deep.

Cover 2 man = Everyone in man to man..but both safeties are deep covering their half of the field. Thus they are over the top help.
I only care to use whatever terms you want ... not arguing with you b/c how schemes are named vesus actually played do vary but what you call Cover 2 is called 2 Deep in my world.

But you are definately right that folks are using Cover 2 as a pure zone scheme more times than not and then use a variation of Cover Two with man underneath.

Just want to know what you call it. Thank you.

Please, I don't want some pee match over terminology thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You are so wrong.

I only care to use whatever terms you want ... not arguing with you b/c how schemes are named vesus actually played do vary but what you call Cover 2 is called 2 Deep in my world.

But you are definately right that folks are using Cover 2 as a pure zone scheme more times than not and then use a variation of Cover Two with man underneath.

Just want to know what you call it. Thank you.

Please, I don't want some pee match over terminology thanks.
BTW, BB used to call it two deep if my hazy memory of the 80s serves me right.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Robert Meachem just declared. I would love him if TO is gone.