Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea QB in the first is too much of a reach. OLB/G/Safety/CB are all more of an immediate need than QB right now. I'd definitely look for a QB in the 2nd or 3rd though.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:44 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless you fall in love w/ a guy that drops, I don't think it makes sense to take a QB this year in the 1st rd. That said, I am assuming this team finished 10-6 or better. If we go 8-8 or worse, and Romo is the cause of those defeats as he was against the Jets and Lions, that might change my mind.

To me, we need to upgrade the following positions/areas before we take a QB:

Interior line
Nose Tackle
Cornerback
Spencer's replacement
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I pretty much crossed Safety off my list with the play of Abram and Sensy. Less to worry about now.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wouldn't be able to stomach a QB pick early. We have other more potential picks that would have a lot more of an impact. I think we'll go after another project and let Kitna go but I can't imagine taking one early. We have 'good' safeties but pairing a playmaker with Elam would be more productive. We have 'good' corners but adding a playmaker to the group would pay dividends. We have potential at ILB and could see us adding another athletic coverage guy after the 3rd round. OLB depends on how much we value 'Almost Anthony'. D-line could use some love if an impact guy is available.

That's just our defense -_-. Cross off QB/RB/WR/OT in the early rounds as we have a combination of elite and/or potential at all spots. Provided Bennett gets the boot I wouldn't be shocked by adding a pass catching TE although I would prefer it to be more of a project than a high pick.

That leaves.................... our interior offensive line. I wouldn't be upset in the slightest even if we took 2 of them in the first three rounds. Giving Romo time and our RBs space will be more impactful than pretty much any other position on the team.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Amazing what a good running game can do for a team and a QB.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:10 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My draft/FA strategy would be this:

Get 1 of the top FA's at interior OL. I believe Arkin is destined to be kosier's replacement. He has the size and tenacity to be a good guard once he adjusts to the NFL game and bulks up.

Then in the draft, get a big NT, a CB, and another ILB. Maybe D'Qwell Jackson in FA. Move ratliff to DE, have a true NT to rotate with josh brent, and we're set up pretty nicely.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
My draft/FA strategy would be this:

Get 1 of the top FA's at interior OL. I believe Arkin is destined to be kosier's replacement. He has the size and tenacity to be a good guard once he adjusts to the NFL game and bulks up.

Then in the draft, get a big NT, a CB, and another ILB. Maybe D'Qwell Jackson in FA. Move ratliff to DE, have a true NT to rotate with josh brent, and we're set up pretty nicely.
I agree with this. Let me also add that we have a decision to make on Spencer. He hasn't been terrible, but he hasn't been great, either. Makes the decision on resigning him a tough one. I haven't decided what to do with him, but either way, that's a decision to be made either FA or draft.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I keep hearing interior OL in the first round, but I get the growing feeling that Garrett is going to continue to believe and trust in the guys we have now. Guys like Costa, Nagy, Arkin... even Holland and Dockery.

I want to believe that we'd be looking at the top C and OG prospects, but I honestly doubt that Garrett would turn his back on his current group. Costa is slowly, but surely getting better... and there is a lot of love there. Will Arkin be ready next year to challenge for a starting spot? If not, I still don't see us replacing Kosier with someone high in the draft. ...and the re-energized Holland has been looking good. Having Dockery behind him is not bad at all.

Seeing us go interior OL in round 1 is nearly unfathomable to me because of how I think Garrett views this OL group. I don't even see FA being a top priority to address the OL. If anything, I think we'll look for depth no sooner than Round 3.

Last edited by D-Unit : 11-14-2011 at 01:23 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Amazing what a good running game can do for a team and a QB.
The key for Garrett is to stick with the run even when it doesn't produce long gains. He seems to have a short fuse with it and will quickly abandon the run if it's not producing long gains.

I can't stress how happy I am with Fiammetta. We FINALLY got our FB! ...and I hope the team recognizes that and rewards him. No more late round fliers on FBs! Hooray!

...and Dan Bailey!!! Wooo hooo! I'm happy as hell that he's turned into the kicker he is today. His touchbacks were a thing of beauty too! Bye bye Buehler. Bye bye the days of having 2 kickers on the roster!!!

We're starting to get gooooooood.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bailey was booming them for some reason. It was awesome. Buehler is done. The guy has been on the shelf for most of this year anyway, and is currently on IR...and we've done just fine without his kickoffs.

Bailey really is something else. His kicks are almost always perfect...Aside from his miss, he's only had one real close call on a made kick. Every other one was right down broadway.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Yeah, I don't think interior OL is going to be a high priority IF this group continues to progress.

I don't see us resigning Newman so I think CB will be a high priority. I also think we need to give serious thought to resigning both Sensy and Elam. They have both been solid to quite good. I think our safety play has actually been slightly above average this year, which is a huge improvement over what it has been in previous years.

I think we need to get another ILB because I know Brooking is gone and James might be gone after this year.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-14-2011, 01:53 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was I the only one grinning after Nick Folk shanked that 25 Yarder last night? lol. I'm so happy we finally have a kicker, no more FG adventure time.

The OLine has definitely taken some steps forward, but I still want to see them do it against a few quality fronts before I jump on the bandwagon. Redskins should be a good measuring stick, if we handle their front 7 then I'll be more willing to buy in.

I personally think the change in scheme has more to do with our success in our running game. Remember early in the season when we were all wondering why we weren't running more of a zone scheme utilizing our athleticism up front? We've finally gotten away from that power man on man scheme and you can see the positive results.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I keep hearing interior OL in the first round, but I get the growing feeling that Garrett is going to continue to believe and trust in the guys we have now. Guys like Costa, Nagy, Arkin... even Holland and Dockery.

I want to believe that we'd be looking at the top C and OG prospects, but I honestly doubt that Garrett would turn his back on his current group. Costa is slowly, but surely getting better... and there is a lot of love there. Will Arkin be ready next year to challenge for a starting spot? If not, I still don't see us replacing Kosier with someone high in the draft. ...and the re-energized Holland has been looking good. Having Dockery behind him is not bad at all.

Seeing us go interior OL in round 1 is nearly unfathomable to me because of how I think Garrett views this OL group. I don't even see FA being a top priority to address the OL. If anything, I think we'll look for depth no sooner than Round 3.
You say that, but no one has more trust in Romo then Garrett, but you still have a QB as a 1st round possibility?

I really do not like the QB pool in this draft aside from the top 5 guys, so I'd be okay if we come out this draft without a QB.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was listening to cowboys radio and they said spencer could be a decent option for the transitional tag. I don't know how that really works but it would keep him here and be cheaper than the franchise tag. I wouldn't mind that at all. As for newman, I think his deal can be restructured, and i'd be down for that in a heartbeat. When healthy the dude is good, and he provides a veteran presence to otherwise pretty young corners.

The thing that will really make our defense take off is a true NT, and another athletic ILB to go with Lee and Carter. With a true NT you kill 2 birds with one stone because we now have a good DE in Ratliff, and a big load to pair with brent would be a great NT tandem.

If Lee continues his play and Carter pans out to what his potential allows him to be and we add another solid ILB or 2, this defense goes from good to great in a heartbeat. We might even have the best defense in the NFL if that happens. Improving ILB will do wonders for this defense. Keith Brooking and Bradie are GARBAGE. Love what they have done for the team in the past and with leadership, but at the end of the day it's a business. D'Qwell Jackson and a 3rd or 4th rounder would do wonders for this defense.

This off-season the team needs to stop being stubborn and get a true NT. They just re-sogned Ratliff and he is already 30, so he's gotta be moving to DE. Enough dancing around the problem.

A front seven of Spencer, D-Ware, a true NT, ratliff and hatcher at DE, with butler, brent, coleman, spears and lissemore rotating in would be so dominant it's not even funny.

Ahhh, one can dream...

Last edited by CDCB14 : 11-14-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You say that, but no one has more trust in Romo then Garrett, but you still have a QB as a 1st round possibility?

I really do not like the QB pool in this draft aside from the top 5 guys, so I'd be okay if we come out this draft without a QB.
Is that really so? I think outwardly Garrett will show complete confidence in Romo because he's our starting QB and will be for the foreseeable future. But if you watch his playcalling, he's discretely reeled in his trust in Romo.

Obviously, it would have to be the right scenario for us to take a QB in Round 1. I'm simply saying it is a position that can't be ignored there due to the importance of the position and draft value.

I'd also be ok if we came out of this draft without a QB, but I can't forget about "Bad Romo" just because he's coming off a good performance.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I was listening to cowboys radio and they said spencer could be a decent option for the transitional tag. I don't know how that really works but it would keep him here and be cheaper than the franchise tag. I wouldn't mind that at all. As for newman, I think his deal can be restructured, and i'd be down for that in a heartbeat. When healthy the dude is good, and he provides a veteran presence to otherwise pretty young corners.

The thing that will really make our defense take off is a true NT, and another athletic ILB to go with Lee and Carter. With a true NT you kill 2 birds with one stone because we now have a good DE in Ratliff, and a big load to pair with brent would be a great NT tandem.

If Lee continues his play and Carter pans out to what his potential allows him to be and we add another solid ILB or 2, this defense goes from good to great in a heartbeat. We might even have the best defense in the NFL if that happens. Improving ILB will do wonders for this defense. Keith Brooking and Bradie are GARBAGE. Love what they have done for the team in the past and with leadership, but at the end of the day it's a business. D'Qwell Jackson and a 3rd or 4th rounder would do wonders for this defense.

This off-season the team needs to stop being stubborn and get a true NT. They just re-sogned Ratliff and he is already 30, so he's gotta be moving to DE. Enough dancing around the problem.

A front seven of Spencer, D-Ware, a true NT, ratliff and hatcher at DE, with butler, brent, coleman, spears and lissemore rotating in would be so dominant it's not even funny.

Ahhh, one can dream...
Your dream sounds borrowed. There's nothing there that hasn't been said before.

But while you're at it. Throw this in there as well...

The NT we get should be this guy.

Sione Pouha. Bingo! Save our draft picks for other things... like more "playmakers".
Old 11-14-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On the topic of the division:

The Giants have to play the Packers & Saints back to back before they play us. There is a very good chance we could be up by a game before we even play. Granted they could win either of those games, but I doubt they go 3-0 the next three weeks.

I think we will go 10-6, 11 games probably wins the division. Schedule sets up nicely for us all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:57 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Unless you fall in love w/ a guy that drops, I don't think it makes sense to take a QB this year in the 1st rd. That said, I am assuming this team finished 10-6 or better. If we go 8-8 or worse, and Romo is the cause of those defeats as he was against the Jets and Lions, that might change my mind.

To me, we need to upgrade the following positions/areas before we take a QB:

Interior line
Nose Tackle
Cornerback
Spencer's replacement

Victor Butler? We definately don't need a OLB. He's just like Hatcher, Bowen, Free, in that he's got starting talent but he hasn't been able to get the snaps to show it. We are fine with him.

I also like our safeties but you need to be careful re-signing those types of guys to longterm contracts. I'd ideally like to replace them through the draft before it came to that point.

We do need another CB though, starting quality. ILB is a pretty big need, and anything on the line. I'd take a tackle to challenge free, or a G/C swingman would be awesome no matter what we think of the young guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Is that really so? I think outwardly Garrett will show complete confidence in Romo because he's our starting QB and will be for the foreseeable future. But if you watch his playcalling, he's discretely reeled in his trust in Romo.
I've read this a couple of places and I just don't see this. I just think he's now got a running game. I don't notice them doing anything different other than the running game is making the defense be honest and not just pinning their ears back. They are still getting in the shot gun. We threw several vertical routes yesterday.

We've been yelling at Garrett for 2 years to run the ball. I don't think he ever stopped WANTING to run the ball. I just think he lost faith in their ability to do it and put the ball in the hands of his best offensive player, Romo.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-14-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Victor Butler? We definately don't need a OLB. He's just like Hatcher, Bowen, Free, in that he's got starting talent but he hasn't been able to get the snaps to show it. We are fine with him.

I also like our safeties but you need to be careful re-signing those types of guys to longterm contracts. I'd ideally like to replace them through the draft before it came to that point.

We do need another CB though, starting quality. ILB is a pretty big need, and anything on the line. I'd take a tackle to challenge free, or a G/C swingman would be awesome no matter what we think of the young guys.
I completely forgot about Victor Butler! Yeah, that pushes OLB down on the needs list, even if we lost Spencer. Butler has been quiet this year... but going into the season, I was pumping him up that he should start over Spencer. If I think about it... I think I still feel the same today.

Depth would be good, but that can come cheap.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Butler seems to lack a bit against the run. I would be concerned about that. Spencer has been okay overall, but I do think he's above average against the run.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 11-14-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Your dream sounds borrowed. There's nothing there that hasn't been said before.

But while you're at it. Throw this in there as well...

The NT we get should be this guy.

Sione Pouha. Bingo! Save our draft picks for other things... like more "playmakers".
Borrowed? Maybe borrowed by me since i've been saying that is the route we should take forever. Was my prediction about Robinson barrowed too? Kid is a baller.

As for Butler, you and LL are wrong, and Macarthur is right. Butler is a 3rd down situation guy, that's it. He comes in when he is unexpected and occasionaly makes a play. He is absolutely terrible against the run. If spencer isn't re-signed, OLB is a big need.

I understand the love for butler because in todays world everyone wants the back-up to play, but that would be a bad thing for us. He is a situational pass-rusher, period. He's about as good against the run as you or me.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Borrowed? Maybe borrowed by me since i've been saying that is the route we should take forever. Was my prediction about Robinson barrowed too? Kid is a baller.

As for Butler, you and LL are wrong, and Macarthur is right. Butler is a 3rd down situation guy, that's it. He comes in when he is unexpected and occasionaly makes a play. He is absolutely terrible against the run. If spencer isn't re-signed, OLB is a big need.

I understand the love for butler because in todays world everyone wants the back-up to play, but that would be a bad thing for us. He is a situational pass-rusher, period. He's about as good against the run as you or me.
"Kid is a baller"... don't make me laugh.

Robinson is a good #3 receiver or fill in starter. He showed some nice deep threat ability yesterday, and has shown good hands so far. ...but his YAC ability leaves a lot to be desired. Asking him to make something out of nothing is not his forte.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
Butler seems to lack a bit against the run. I would be concerned about that. Spencer has been okay overall, but I do think he's above average against the run.
I think I share that opinion. ...but it wouldn't hurt to see more of Butler before I completely say he's a run stopping liability.

Spencer definitely has the bulk you like as a run stuffer.

The bottom line to the discussion goes back to it being a 1st round need, and I think it would have to be someone really special for us to take one. Guess we can't completely ignore the possibility, but I would say the need goes down a notch.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:09 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

No OLB, we have Butler. We cut Walden.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote