Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Dave Campo needs to GTFO, our performances make it look like he's just playing UNO with them during position meetings.

Players play, coaches coach.I have a problem just blaming position coaches, especially ones who have a track record of being a great position coach like Campo. What are we blaming him for? Alan Ball being garbage? Newman is just old. Scandrick makes mental lapses that we know he's way better than.

None of that comes back to Campo. We need to start putting more accountability on the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I'm thinking Sparano is gonna get the boot at the end of the season in Miami. We still don't have an offensive coordinator??? I sort of understand keeping Garrett in the role this season to show his ownership/leadership of the team... But I'm thinking maybe(or hopefully) they bring someone in to control the offence.

So hopefully he hasn't burnt any bridges in Dallas and he wants to take an OC position...

Just thought i would throw that idea out there.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:55 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Players play, coaches coach.I have a problem just blaming position coaches, especially ones who have a track record of being a great position coach like Campo. What are we blaming him for? Alan Ball being garbage? Newman is just old. Scandrick makes mental lapses that we know he's way better than.

None of that comes back to Campo. We need to start putting more accountability on the players.
I disagree with you and agree with finisher.

Sure we don't have darelle revis out there, but something is wrong with our secondary besides the players. I have no faith in them AT ALL. Whenever the QB has time, they are always beat by 2+ yards on every route. Its terrible. We might be some of the worst coverage teams in the league, i dont care what the stats say.

Worst of all is the out route. It's money EVERY TIME on all of our DBs. I know it's so hard to stop, but every time an opposing WR runs 10 yards and breaks outside, our DBs fall on their ass and its a first down. Last week gaffney had atleast 4 of them. This week it happened multiple times with hartline and bess.

I think our corners are good football players, but something is wrong. They shouldn't be getting beat as easily as they do. Alan Ball, fine. But newman, scandrick, and jenkins should be consistently better.

Something is wrong..
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:02 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I disagree with you and agree with finisher.

Sure we don't have darelle revis out there, but something is wrong with our secondary besides the players. I have no faith in them AT ALL. Whenever the QB has time, they are always beat by 2+ yards on every route. Its terrible. We might be some of the worst coverage teams in the league, i dont care what the stats say.

Worst of all is the out route. It's money EVERY TIME on all of our DBs. I know it's so hard to stop, but every time an opposing WR runs 10 yards and breaks outside, our DBs fall on their ass and its a first down. Last week gaffney had atleast 4 of them. This week it happened multiple times with hartline and bess.

I think our corners are good football players, but something is wrong. They shouldn't be getting beat as easily as they do. Alan Ball, fine. But newman, scandrick, and jenkins should be consistently better.

Something is wrong..

Well alot of that is Alan Ball is on the field. Jenkins has been alot better this year, it's been hard to good a good consistent look at him but he's improved much from last year.

Newman contrary to last game is having a good season, so I really can't see blaming Campo. But he is old, and slower, but he's having a really solid season. Scandrick, the errors I'm seeing aren't Campo's fault. He's made some silly mental mistakes, holding, etc, that he knows better then.

I think we are overreacting a bit to 1 game. I was upset by it too but talking about firing a good coach in Campo? Outside of Ball these guys have had solid seasons, and actually improvements in their play.

You don't think Newman, Jenkins, & Scandrick have played better this year then last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well alot of that is Alan Ball is on the field. Jenkins has been alot better this year, it's been hard to good a good consistent look at him but he's improved much from last year.

Newman contrary to last game is having a good season, so I really can't see blaming Campo. But he is old, and slower, but he's having a really solid season. Scandrick, the errors I'm seeing aren't Campo's fault. He's made some silly mental mistakes, holding, etc, that he knows better then.

I think we are overreacting a bit to 1 game. I was upset by it too but talking about firing a good coach in Campo? Outside of Ball these guys have had solid seasons, and actually improvements in their play.

You don't think Newman, Jenkins, & Scandrick have played better this year then last?
Well, anything is better than last year. To be honest, I really just think their talent is working better this year than it was last year, I don't really see an overall improved unit per say.

The things that bother me are:

There is no sense of urgency at all. When the other team needs to drive down the field, our pass defense is like butter. MARK SANCHEZ brought his team 80 yards twice against us to tie it up. TWICE. I know plax's touchdown was on bryann mccann, but still. Even with romo's 3 picks, our defense bent over for the lions to lose the game. And we make guys like Grossman and Moore look like montana.

During the 2nd half, when it was like 3rd and 16, I knew they would convert it. Isn't that a bad thing? And what do you know, Hartline beats alan ball for 41 yards down the sideline.. Like really? If I was a fan of pretty much any other NFL team I would've thought "ok nice we're getting the ball back," but not with us. I knew our secondary would give that up.

It's just something about them that you can just feel they're going to give up a play when they need the stop. Grossman 89 yards for a tying touchdown?

There is just something off with them, and I know you and everyone else can feel it too. The scary thing is, I have no idea what the solution is. The players are good, and I don't hate campo necessarily, but they just get beat. It really is bothersome..

LL, they gave up atleast four 3rd and 10+'s.... really? Matt Moore and Brian Hartline....? Something is wrong dude, and obviously no one knows the problem. Hopefully the rest of the team can overcome it..

Last edited by CDCB14 : 11-26-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:34 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlopez1 View Post
DB Newman, Ball, Walker
OL Dockery Looper
DL Coleman and Spears(one of them will be gone Coleman he is going on 11th year)
QB Both McGee and Kitna
WR Answah, Oggletree and maybe Holley
RB
TE Bennett ( he will be solid somewhere else..but it too long.
S Either Ebram or Sensabuagh will get signed somewhere else.
LB Brookings, Spencer , James ( i think james might come back)

Practice Players who have a shot.

Lemon the LB
Radway the WR
Harris the WR
Butler CB Definately
Holmes WR

Comments please...
Spears just signed a five year deal. Unless we draft someone high AND move ratliff to DE, I doubt he's gone. Coleman also has another year. If newman will restructure im fine with keeping him, while still drafting someone in the 1st or second. Newman as a 3rd corner adding veteran experience is not a bad thing.

Everyone else I don't really care about, but it would be nice to bring one of the safeties back, and maybe spencer...
Old 11-26-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way these guys backpedal leaves them prone to quick inside/outside breaks, and that has to do with coaching. It looks like they set up to defend against the deep streak, which they've done a fairly good job of doing, but get absolutely chewed up on ins and outs. Newman has looked terrible these last two games. I really hope the Eagles realize that signing Asomugha was a bad idea and they cut him. He can then come play for us, like he should have in the first place.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:46 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aso has looked atrocious though.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:55 PM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not understanding. Why should Rob Ryan be getting the blame for the Jets and Detroit game? Are we going to put those on his shoulders?

Then you bring up Tom Brady as if they didn't have 13 points late in the 4th quarter. You've got to put some of that into context. If you don't think his gameplan was masterful vs NE I don't know what to tell you.

True, your under lying point is correct, but he's not the head coach. He did all he could vs Sanchez, Stafford, and Brady. In fact some of those were his best games.
My intention of the post was not to put blame on Ryan for those losses, merely to point out we've beaten 6 teams with lousy QB's (while making those QB's look pretty good in the process) and lost to 4 teams with good QB's and we've got 4 games left against good QB's.

The last point about Ryan was a secondary observation, though his defenses have sucked this year at making stops when they've really needed to. I think that's the nature of the league though more than anything.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My observations of the last couple of pages:

People see what they want to see.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Spears just signed a five year deal. Unless we draft someone high AND move ratliff to DE, I doubt he's gone. Coleman also has another year. If newman will restructure im fine with keeping him, while still drafting someone in the 1st or second. Newman as a 3rd corner adding veteran experience is not a bad thing.

Everyone else I don't really care about, but it would be nice to bring one of the safeties back, and maybe spencer...
The deal isnt what you think it is. It's really easy to get out of...and he's a backup now. There is certainly a chance he could be back. But I'm thinking he's probably gone, unless they cant find that upgrade that they coveted once Bowen walked. We wanted Bowen back and we flirted with Cullen Jenkins before settling on Spears again.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
The deal isnt what you think it is. It's really easy to get out of...and he's a backup now. There is certainly a chance he could be back. But I'm thinking he's probably gone, unless they cant find that upgrade that they coveted once Bowen walked. We wanted Bowen back and we flirted with Cullen Jenkins before settling on Spears again.
First, to D-Unit: It's called a "confirmation bias" in psychology, where people tend to stick to the points that support their argument, and ignores the things that go against it. Don't we all? :)

Moth, you are right then, I didn't know the contract was that easy to terminate. Although, unless we move ratliff to DE full time I doubt we cut him. Also, why cut him before TC if he is under contract? He isn't terrible and he isn't costing a lot of money. What happens if hatcher goes down week 2 of the pre-season, and spears is on say, the Saints? Wouldn't you like to have him back? Sure he didn't turn into what we wanted from a 1st rounder, but he is a decent player and you know what your going to get from him. I personally like spears. Hes a good guy and he works hard.

Also, a note on Newman's contract:

He's making 8 mill this year, but that drops down to 6 mill next year. That's about the league average for starting CB's. If we can't find and upgrade or don't feel comfortable with a rookie, I could very well see us bringing newman back.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree 100% on T-New. Unless we draft/sign someone to immediately take his spot his salary situation isn't as bad. Getting rid of him gives more playing time to Alan "Where's the" Ball and Frank Walker. Two players I want to see less from not more.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It never gets old, if you ask me.
Just wanted to share this with y'all..... always brightens up any guy's day.

Cheers
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:09 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Aso has looked atrocious though.
Great, then his market value should drop and he won't be so expensive. I don't care if he keeps playing the rest of the year like this, he has it in him to be great, and he would be infinitely better than whatever combination of Newman/Ball/Walker we can throw out.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:53 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Great, then his market value should drop and he won't be so expensive. I don't care if he keeps playing the rest of the year like this, he has it in him to be great, and he would be infinitely better than whatever combination of Newman/Ball/Walker we can throw out.
I agree, because Nnamdi is only looking as bad as he does because he is in zone coverage. Castillo is an idiot in philly. In the man to man schemes in our defense nnamdi would be a god-send. Oh well, wasn't meant to be.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Nnamdi is going nowhere. I hope this talk of the Eagles cutting him was just intended as fun talk. :)

As for Newman... he makes $8M this year but his charge against the cap is $11M. Next year is less but I shared my thoughts about this before. I think it was the perfect storm for Newman to be with us this year. We wanted to cut him the moment we had signed Aso. Since that didn't happen we had no better option since we avoided CB in the draft. I don't expect that to repeat.

Newman has to restructure to prolong his Dallas career.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nnamdi is going nowhere. I hope this talk of the Eagles cutting him was just intended as fun talk. :)

As for Newman... he makes $8M this year but his charge against the cap is $11M. Next year is less but I shared my thoughts about this before. I think it was the perfect storm for Newman to be with us this year. We wanted to cut him the moment we had signed Aso. Since that didn't happen we had no better option since we avoided CB in the draft. I don't expect that to repeat.

I completely agree, but i'm inclined to think he will restructure and be back. Newman would probably one of the best #3 or #4 CBs in the league, and even with restructuring he would probably make more than he would on the open market.

I think its a smart move on both sides, barring his play doesn't significantly drop off down the stretch.

Edit: On the subject of Newman, what does everyone think of his career as a cowboy? For the #5 overall pick, was he what you thought, below what you thought, a bust, or anywhere in between?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I completely agree, but i'm inclined to think he will restructure and be back. Newman would probably one of the best #3 or #4 CBs in the league, and even with restructuring he would probably make more than he would on the open market.

I think its a smart move on both sides, barring his play doesn't significantly drop off down the stretch.

Edit: On the subject of Newman, what does everyone think of his career as a cowboy? For the #5 overall pick, was he what you thought, below what you thought, a bust, or anywhere in between?
T-New was about even money value-wise for his position. He had the unfortunate luck of being one of the best players on some terrible 'Boys defenses. Even w/o a restructure I expect him to stay as well as us drafting a CB relatively high in the draft.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Newman was damn good in his prime, I forget the specifics but there was a stretch where he didn't allow a TD in like 20 straight games. The biggest downside to him, and we knew this when we drafted him, is his age. I still wish we utilized him in the return game more because that was what took him from a very good prospect to a great one.

Age and injuries just hit him hard the past couple of years, I know you'd prefer to get more than 5 years of good play out of a top 5 pick but it is what it is...
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:00 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking back Newman was part of a pretty important draft class for us. Newman, Bradie James, Jason Witten, Romo (UDFA) and Keith Davis who was a special teams stud for awhile there, were all part of that class. But Romo, Newman, Bradie and Witten have been the heart of this team for going on 10 years now. One hell of a draft if you ask me.

But that defense that year was REAL. Coakley, Nguyen, Woodson, Glover and we just added Roy and Terrence in consecutive drafts.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

The thing about Newman is that even in his best years, he was never a ballhawk and that's what separates the good from the great. I feel comfortable saying he was a very good CB for us and he lived up to his draft spot, but I won't go so far as to call him worthy for the Ring of Honor. He's like Greg Ellis and Flozell Adams... If there was a Hall of Very Good, then they'd be there.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The thing about Newman is that even in his best years, he was never a ballhawk and that's what separates the good from the great. I feel comfortable saying he was a very good CB for us and he lived up to his draft spot, but I won't go so far as to call him worthy for the Ring of Honor. He's like Greg Ellis and Flozell Adams... If there was a Hall of Very Good, then they'd be there.
I agree fully here with D. He's been a very good CB in the league, but never has been elite. I think once Jenkins is back healthy and in the starting lineup, this changes the look and feel of our defense a lot more. Right now we cannot blitz as much because Ryan isn't comfortable with our CB's on the outside playing man. Ball has been beat lately a bit too much. Ball is fine in zone coverage, but I do not like him manned up on WR's.

It'll be interesting to see what we do next year in FA and the draft in regards to our CB situation. CB's is one of those positions where you never have enough good CB's. Look at what happened to us earlier in the year when we had injuries. I don't know how we weren't abused terribly.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:43 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:

Thing is Philly has too many top end corners so it is likely they will get rid of at least 1 of them. We should be buyers if you ask me and use the draft to shore up G/C, DL, ILB, FS.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Thing is Philly has too many top end corners so it is likely they will get rid of at least 1 of them. We should be buyers if you ask me and use the draft to shore up G/C, DL, ILB, FS.
I think that if they do release a CB it will be Asante. ...and I wouldn't touch Asante.

I would love to get a veteran CB in FA too. Guys I like are Tyvon Branch, Cortland Finnegan, Brandon Flowers, Brent Grimes, Terrell Thomas, Aaron Ross.