Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention the Air Garrett offense :D Having three excellent WRs is never a hindrance ESPECIALLY with the Romo/Garrett combo keying on finding the 1v1s and hitting the open man.

:/ Just wish we traded Tellus when we had a good deal on the table.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This trading Miles talk is blasphemy. Just like last year on this board, someone brought up trading Witten while you can get value... are you serious? People always overreact if a back-up is producing or we seem to have another good player at the position.

I know the cliche usually goes for cornerbacks, but you can't have enough good players at any position in football. Especially with injuries. Let alone the injury history of all 3 of these guys, therefore trading Miles would be stupid. Don't go around trading your assets based on potential behind it. Miles is 27, Dez just turned 23, and Laurent is 26. If we can re-sign Laurent long term, that's probably the best WR trio in the league for the next 5-7 years, and if one goes down it isn't the end of the world because another can pick up the slack. Not to mention, it gives perfect time for Dwayne Harris to develop as a slot guy.

I don't even want to post about trading Miles because it's so dumb. People get so enamored with trading guys for draft picks when a back-up looks good, and in some cases it may be the right choice, but not here.

An offense of Dez, Miles, Witten, DeMarco Murray, and Laurent Robinson for the foreseeable future is much better than those guys minus miles and a draft pick or 2 that may turn into busts...
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:02 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
This trading Miles talk is blasphemy. Just like last year on this board, someone brought up trading Witten while you can get value... are you serious? People always overreact if a back-up is producing or we seem to have another good player at the position.

I know the cliche usually goes for cornerbacks, but you can't have enough good players at any position in football. Especially with injuries. Let alone the injury history of all 3 of these guys, therefore trading Miles would be stupid. Don't go around trading your assets based on potential behind it. Miles is 27, Dez just turned 23, and Laurent is 26. If we can re-sign Laurent long term, that's probably the best WR trio in the league for the next 5-7 years, and if one goes down it isn't the end of the world because another can pick up the slack. Not to mention, it gives perfect time for Dwayne Harris to develop as a slot guy.

I don't even want to post about trading Miles because it's so dumb. People get so enamored with trading guys for draft picks when a back-up looks good, and in some cases it may be the right choice, but not here.

An offense of Dez, Miles, Witten, DeMarco Murray, and Laurent Robinson for the foreseeable future is much better than those guys minus miles and a draft pick or 2 that may turn into busts...

Dont' forget we got Ogletree. :) JK

If Jerry is smart he gives Laurent a 2 year deal right now before he gets too expensive.
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

What's blasphemy is thinking WR is that important. Cowboys fans always think their players are the best so this does not surprise me. Austin is a WR. Not a QB. Not a DE/OLB. Not even a LT. WRs are so over-glamorized in the NFL it ain't funny. They are only as good as their QB makes them and they are the easiest thing to shutdown because it only requires 1 extra defender. You might need 8 or even 9 guys in the box in order to stop a dominating RB, but you only need double coverage on a WR to shut him down and encourage the QB to look elsewhere.

That's why I never think drafting a WR at the Top of the draft is a wise thing. Sure you can find a good player, but it's just as boom or bust as any other position and the importance of it is low on the totem pole. It just get fantasized so much because they catch touchdowns and make the highlights. They are the recipients of everyone else's hard work yet they get to be the ones on Sportscenter.

To think Austin is untradeable is comic relief. Obviously the return would have to equate his value but to shun it away without thought is ridiculous. QB, DE/OLB and LT in their prime are the only untradeable assets a team should have.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
What's blasphemy is thinking WR is that important. Cowboys fans always think their players are the best so this does not surprise me. Austin is a WR. Not a QB. Not a DE/OLB. Not even a LT. WRs are so over-glamorized in the NFL it ain't funny. They are only as good as their QB makes them and they are the easiest thing to shutdown because it only requires 1 extra defender. You might need 8 or even 9 guys in the box in order to stop a dominating RB, but you only need double coverage on a WR to shut him down and encourage the QB to look elsewhere.

That's why I never think drafting a WR at the Top of the draft is a wise thing. Sure you can find a good player, but it's just as boom or bust as any other position and the importance of it is low on the totem pole. It just get fantasized so much because they catch touchdowns and make the highlights. They are the recipients of everyone else's hard work yet they get to be the ones on Sportscenter.

To think Austin is untradeable is comic relief. Obviously the return would have to equate his value but to shun it away without thought is ridiculous. QB, DE/OLB and LT in their prime are the only untradeable assets a team should have.
But don't you agree that with our issues with our WR's staying health that it might not be a good idea to ship out Miles? I agree that he's not untradeable, but it would have to take at least a 1 and a 2 in my mind to get it done. And i don't foresee anyone giving that up for Miles.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
But don't you agree that with our issues with our WR's staying health that it might not be a good idea to ship out Miles? I agree that he's not untradeable, but it would have to take at least a 1 and a 2 in my mind to get it done. And i don't foresee anyone giving that up for Miles.
It doesn't have to be a 1 and 2. Replacing him is not that hard because we have Dez who is a capable #1. So no, I don't agree that I would worry enough to turn down a good offer. He's not a once in a decade type talent.

As long as we have one great WR, we're good. Everything else is gravy. You don't need 2 greats. Especially with Witten.

The freed cap also becomes a big plus for us.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:

I did, I like to sell high and buy low.

Nothing crazy about that.
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree with you to a certain extent. WR isn't one of the most important positions, but it is still a player on the field. Your telling me if larry fitzgerald isn't on the cardinals in 08 they even sniff that super bowl? let only coming one play away from winning it?

I get what you saying, and maybe 15 years ago your point is more valid, but the NFL is a passing league now, and the rule changes are only going to help offenses even more. Id rather have Austin, Dez, and Robinson, especially with their injury history, then trade him away for something that you don't even know will work out.

Unless it was a herschal walker type blockbuster, which obviously wouldn't happen, yes trading austin is blasphemy. its pointless. And the salary cap space is a non issue. The salary cap is skyrocketing over the next few years with the new CBA.

Agree to disagree I guess, but trading austin would be like jason garrett's play calling in the redzone... TOO CUTE. Be happy that we have studs at WR. there is no reason to get rid of a good thing.

Either way, theres no way it happens, so lets get on to the next subject.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree with you to a certain extent. WR isn't one of the most important positions, but it is still a player on the field. Your telling me if larry fitzgerald isn't on the cardinals in 08 they even sniff that super bowl? let only coming one play away from winning it?

I get what you saying, and maybe 15 years ago your point is more valid, but the NFL is a passing league now, and the rule changes are only going to help offenses even more. Id rather have Austin, Dez, and Robinson, especially with their injury history, then trade him away for something that you don't even know will work out.

Unless it was a herschal walker type blockbuster, which obviously wouldn't happen, yes trading austin is blasphemy. its pointless. And the salary cap space is a non issue. The salary cap is skyrocketing over the next few years with the new CBA.

Agree to disagree I guess, but trading austin would be like jason garrett's play calling in the redzone... TOO CUTE. Be happy that we have studs at WR. there is no reason to get rid of a good thing.

Either way, theres no way it happens, so lets get on to the next subject.
Larry is great and all, but let's be real. It was a Warner lead team. Larry does nothing for them now, right? Besides, having 1 great WR is enough, like I said... we have Dez. So I'm ok with trading Austin.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Larry is great and all, but let's be real. It was a Warner lead team. Larry does nothing for them now, right? Besides, having 1 great WR is enough, like I said... we have Dez. So I'm ok with trading Austin.
I just don't think it would be smart. Trading a top ten WR in the league at 27 years old in his prime who has great chemistry in romo is just stupid to me. QB/WR chemistry is important. Look what happened with roy williams.

Austin is important asset to this team, and when he is healthy he is a cornerstone. End of story.

Unless it's atleast two 1st rounders and then some, I immediately hang up the phone, and obviously thats not happening.

You undervalue WR a bit too much.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
I'd prefer to trade Dez and keep Austin but I don't think Dez's value is very high.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
I'd prefer to trade Dez and keep Austin but I don't think Dez's value is very high.
Whoa. What?
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't need to trade anybody. I appreciate the positions we do have depth at. You don't need to trade good WR's and CB's. I'll take all of them we can because injuries are likely and when you have that type of depth you plug one in and don't miss a beat.

If Ogletree had been getting all those snaps our offense would have been alot less explosive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
We don't need to trade anybody. I appreciate the positions we do have depth at. You don't need to trade good WR's and CB's. I'll take all of them we can because injuries are likely and when you have that type of depth you plug one in and don't miss a beat.

If Ogletree had been getting all those snaps our offense would have been alot less explosive.
I agree, the ability to stretch the field with multiple players is a pretty valuable luxary in the league these days. Plus we have only had a glimpse of this offense at full strength. Hopefully Miles and Tony F will be healthy by the end of the season rolls around so that one fascit of the offense cant be keyed on.

Overall I think the team is in a solid position to improve. Jerry and JG have to continue to draft smart and get younger, particularly on defense.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:46 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
No way. Dez has untouched upside and the cheaper contract.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Hey now, nobody is chasing anybody out of town or saying we "need" to get rid of him. Just answering the question about Austin being a tradeable asset or not. If the offer were great then I'd do it.

Some team in the Top 10, maybe Top 5 is gonna draft Justin Blackmon. If that team would rather have Austin.... welllll hey... let's talk! I saw what ATL gave up to get Julio Jones and I would gladly take an offer like that for Austin.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a fan of trading Miles Austin. At least not until I am exposed to a healthy offence without the need for a starting quality slot reciever. Basically if the offence looked overpowering with all three on the field. Then maybe you could justify a decision. But Dez could just as easily trip over his own feet this week and break his ankle.

I think DeMarco Murray and Fiametta both shining has made Miles a little bit more expendable. But we have to factor in that our offensive pieces are all made of glass.

If someone at 4 or 5 is willing to talk and maybe willing to shift there top pick this year and there top pick the following year. Cause I would then take that pick and trade back so fast your head would spin. Having the flexibility of two first rounders while rookie contracts are scaled would be ridiculously advantageous.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:38 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We overpaid for Austin (like we do all our re-signs) so there's no way we get real value for him anyway. When healthy, he's a 70 catch, 1100 yd guy, so he's worth keeping.

We need to stockpile WRs anyway, think about how great this offense could be if we didn't need to play Ogletree and could replace him w/ a smart player who get open all the time and catch everything thrown their way.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:39 AM    (permalink
dsc1600
Veteran

dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dsc1600 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a 1 and 2. Replacing him is not that hard because we have Dez who is a capable #1. So no, I don't agree that I would worry enough to turn down a good offer. He's not a once in a decade type talent.

As long as we have one great WR, we're good. Everything else is gravy. You don't need 2 greats. Especially with Witten.

The freed cap also becomes a big plus for us.
Dez isn't great yet. He's also an injury liability.
dsc1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Dez is way over hyped and he is not developing as fast as you would want. So for all the love given here, he is not even a top 10 WR in the NFL when healthy. Austin is a top WR when healthy.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600
We overpaid for Austin (like we do all our re-signs) so there's no way we get real value for him anyway. When healthy, he's a 70 catch, 1100 yd guy, so he's worth keeping.

We need to stockpile WRs anyway, think about how great this offense could be if we didn't need to play Ogletree and could replace him w/ a smart player who get open all the time and catch everything thrown their way.
the last bit made me laugh. So you wanna replace ogletree with a starting quality receiver??? I think we would all like that
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Thoughts on A Curry from the Raiders when comes off contract?? MLB?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Dez is way over hyped and he is not developing as fast as you would want. So for all the love given here, he is not even a top 10 WR in the NFL when healthy. Austin is a top WR when healthy.
Right now your probably right, but Dez will come into his own. I believe in him. The kid is a stud, hopefully he has gotten the injuries behind him, and Robinson is a hell of a WR coach.

We all need to remember, Dez got suspended his last year at OKlahoma State, got hurt in training camp as a rookie, broke his ankle and missed the last 4 games of the season, and then the NFL was in a lock out so he had no off-season. With a full off-season this year I expect big things from Dez next season and beyond. He'll be fine.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:54 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I'm heading to Arizona tomorrow and will be at the game Sunday and will be at the Giants/Cowboys game the following Sunday. I expect to come back 9-4.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we go on a 2 game skid, we know who to blame. Leroy shall be BANNED!
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote