Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 AM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever
We need a WR who is 6'6 or something.

With respect to the jump ball.... the point is to have a few guys around it with one guy jumping for it.

Just did not happen.
That's one thing I'll agree with. 100% in fact.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCowboysFan
You keep Roy where he is. You leave the secondary as is. Tell Roy to drop a few pounds and just let him play. Just improve the pass rush and also add a new D coordinator, you'd be surprised at how much things could change.
Well, if Roy can drop 20 and play with some quickness and speed then ...... at least he is only 1 step behind versus 2. Maybe he can defelct a few poorly thrown passes.

Fing imbecile Deion bad mouthing Parcells and syaing nice things about Switzer. What a jerk. Anything to protect his homies.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Funny thing about Julius Jones is I thought I saw him TWICE actually cut back against the grain for some yards.

He got nearly 60 yards on both those carries.

Julius is worth a 3 or 4 to a team like Miami (no Ricky I assume) or to a team like Greenbay / Houston / et al/

Anyway.
Not you...but whoever said JJ is a FA is wrong...he has two years left on his rookie contract I believe he is a FA next year...and will be looking for a hefty contract....if someone feels like digging up the YAC I think you will be surprised how low he stacks up.

If we don't get a second round pick or better...he will be our running back next year...he holds more value to this team then a 3rd round pick....I mean he did rush for a 1000 yards....he doesn't NEED to be replaced...but if the offer comes along like a midsecond and a guy we like is on the board the it would make sense.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:11 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
You keep Roy where he is. You leave the secondary as is. Tell Roy to drop a few pounds and just let him play. Just improve the pass rush and also add a new D coordinator, you'd be surprised at how much things could change.
Well, if Roy can drop 20 and play with some quickness and speed then ...... at least he is only 1 step behind versus 2. Maybe he can defelct a few poorly thrown passes.

Fing imbecile Deion bad mouthing Parcells and syaing nice things about Switzer. What a jerk. Anything to protect his homies.
Or you keep roy near the LOS...this is the easiest way to hide his liability in speed/coverage...It will put alot more pressure on our LB's and CBs and Safeties...but if Watkins can become a true center fielder and we can generate pressure we won't have a problem leaving Roy up near the line...this is where he needs to be. He is at his best in the box....if we don't get him there...he is completely useless to this team.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:15 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
This is not Major League Baseball. Trades in the NFL are very rare. and we can't trade JJ because he is a free agent anyways I believe.....and if he isn't then he will stay put.

Oh and Thule the interesting thing about you mentioning Keyshawn, there is actually a void in his contract and he can opt out of his deal and leave to free agency. There are rumors he may return to Dallas and TO goes. Not sure I like that or not but I did hear that.
So what do you recommend, sit on your duff?

You don't think that Julius, Burnett or Williams can be traded? Even Keith Davis can be trade I think.

James, I agree, is a piece of crap with no real value.

So let us assume no one is traded ........

I am all for letting Elam fight for the SS position next year. If Archuleta can sit with his contract so can Roy "fat ass" Williams.

I would love to see Watkins get there but what if not?????? Watkins is Option A but I feel Henry is Option B. Safety in a Cover 2 is hard and I am not sure a rookie can play it. In fact CB in Cover 2 (2 Deep) is much easier.

I am all for benching Bradie and trying to move Carpenter or a faster ILB into the mix. Carpenter and Burnett need to start. Bradie and Ellis need to be situational guys. If Donnie Edwards can play ILB at 225 -- why not Burnett at 240. In fact Burnett is as big as most the ILBs in the 3-4. Check out the other guys in SD, NE, etc....
Old 01-07-2007, 01:17 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
Quote:
Funny thing about Julius Jones is I thought I saw him TWICE actually cut back against the grain for some yards.

Julius is worth a 3 or 4 to a team like Miami (no Ricky I assume) or to a team like Greenbay / Houston / et al/

Anyway.
Not you...but whoever said JJ is a FA is wrong...he has two years left on his rookie contract I believe he is a FA next year...and will be looking for a hefty contract....if someone feels like digging up the YAC I think you will be surprised how low he stacks up.

If we don't get a second round pick or better...he will be our running back next year...he holds more value to this team then a 3rd round pick....I mean he did rush for a 1000 yards....he doesn't NEED to be replaced...but if the offer comes along like a midsecond and a guy we like is on the board the it would make sense.
I would take Booker or Moss over him any day. And both are 3rd rounders.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

Of course you would...I mean who wouldn't take two unprooven players and want them over a back that rushed for 1000 yards while splitting carries?

The only way JJ is gone is if we get good value for him...a third round pick is not worth it.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:19 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or you keep roy near the LOS...this is the easiest way to hide his liability in speed/coverage...It will put alot more pressure on our LB's and CBs and Safeties...but if Watkins can become a true center fielder and we can generate pressure we won't have a problem leaving Roy up near the line...this is where he needs to be. He is at his best in the box....if we don't get him there...he is completely useless to this team.
Thule, our 3-4 plays too much zone and puts too much in the hands of the safeties to get away with this.

All 3-4 Safeties must be able to cover. Roy is just HORRID and I do not redesign my Defense to cover up an AVERAGE players liabilities. That is INSANE.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

Of course you would...I mean who wouldn't take two unprooven players and want them over a back that rushed for 1000 yards while splitting carries?

The only way JJ is gone is if we get good value for him...a third round pick is not worth it.
So let me use your line of reasoning ..... we don't trade Julius for a Booker or Moss but we keep Julius for one year and give him a huge contract in spite of the fact you just said he was soft.

WTF? Make up your mind. I am lost.

Regardless, why keep a painful handicap if you have a chance for serious upside?

Booker has upside. Speed and can catch the ball

Moss has upside. Moss is a big back with some speed. Played on a horrid OL.

Keep Julius is just a non-answer.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:24 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thule, our 3-4 plays too much zone and puts too much in the hands of the safeties to get away with this.

All 3-4 Safeties must be able to cover. Roy is just HORRID and I do not redesign my Defense to cover up an AVERAGE players liabilities. That is INSANE.
Well our 3-4 Defense is not performing to the level of talent on the field...something needs to be changed...and it shouldn't cost the team millions of dollars of nothing to do it.

I guess polamalu doesn't get to play rover in Pitt? I guess Harrison was always forced to play deep cover 2 in NE...

There are many varieties of the 3-4 defense. Roy hasn't been playing cover 2 all year...this only happened after the Eagles game when we had trouble stopping the big play...this comes down to trust...something parcells didn't have in our secondary the second half of the year.

So we bring in a D Cord...that can improvise and get our players to play to their stregnths and we are a whole different ball club.

And my last point...

You call Roy an average player...while I don't agree his is just average...that doesn't really matter. Even if Roy is an average player...he isn't making Average Player Money....which is why it is worth hiding his weaknesses.....if it wasn't a big deal we would trade him..but like i said this is a business and that doesn't make sense economically.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

Not only that , you don't trade him and then lose him to FA next season. The worst of all worlds.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:26 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

So let me use your line of reasoning ..... we don't trade Julius for a Booker or Moss but we keep Julius for one year and give him a huge contract in spite of the fact you just said he was soft.

Regardless, why keep a painful handicap if you have a chance for serious upside?

Who said I was in favor of re-signing JJ next year...as far as I'm concerned backs like Booker and Moss are a dime a dozen on draft day...and can be found every year in the draft....

So once again...if we don't get solid value for JJ we will have one more year with him....you can't say that he played bad this year...no matter how soft he is...he did perform when giving holes to run through. You just don't get rid of players that perform because you want a younger back with more upside...JJ isn't free to cut...he again comes with a cap hit.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:27 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well our 3-4 Defense is not performing to the level of talent on the field...something needs to be changed...and it shouldn't cost the team millions of dollars of nothing to do it.

I guess polamalu doesn't get to play rover in Pitt? I guess Harrison was always forced to play deep cover 2 in NE...

There are many varieties of the 3-4 defense. Roy hasn't been playing cover 2 all year...this only happened after the Eagles game when we had trouble stopping the big play...this comes down to trust...something parcells didn't have in our secondary the second half of the year.

So we bring in a D Cord...that can improvise and get our players to play to their stregnths and we are a whole different ball club.

And my last point...

You call Roy an average player...while I don't agree his is just average...that doesn't really matter. Even if Roy is an average player...he isn't making Average Player Money....which is why it is worth hiding his weaknesses.....if it wasn't a big deal we would trade him..but like i said this is a business and that doesn't make sense economically.
Harrison and Polamalu can cover much better than Roy.

Regardless as you say, Roy needs to lose 20. He is slow.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my last point...

I used the Polamalu example to show you that there is more then one way to use your safeties in the 3-4.

And Harrison has better ball recognition...but definately isn't considered a coverage safety...and is only marginally better then Roy in coverage...yet he exposed as much as Roy because he wasn't asked to sit back and play deep half all day....there are definately effective ways to play to his strengths in the 3-4...that is why I used this two examples...I don't think there is much to argue here.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

Who said I was in favor of re-signing JJ next year...as far as I'm concerned backs like Booker and Moss are a dime a dozen on draft day...and can be found every year in the draft....

So once again...if we don't get solid value for JJ we will have one more year with him....you can't say that he played bad this year...no matter how soft he is...he did perform when giving holes to run through. You just don't get rid of players that perform because you want a younger back with more upside...JJ isn't free to cut...he again comes with a cap hit.
Well if you trade him how do we get a serious cap hit? It is his rookie contract we are trading.

Barber and Tyson Thompson give you as much. In fact, I would have Barber beef up 10-15 and make him an Otis Anderson, Bettis type back.

He can't get any slower and weight does not affect quickness but weight may get him harder to tackle.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:31 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

Well if you trade him how do we get a serious cap hit? It is his rookie contract we are trading.

Barber and Tyson Thompson give you as much. In fact, I would have Barber beef up 10-15 and make him an Otis Anderson, Bettis type back.

He can't get any slower and weight does not affect quickness but weight may get him harder to tackle.
JJ and Barber > Barber and Thompson plus a 3rd round pick...

You just don't replace 1000 yards because you want to get younger...makes sense in madden but not in real life.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my last point...

I used the Polamalu example to show you that there is more then one way to use your safeties in the 3-4.

And Harrison has better ball recognition...but definately isn't considered a coverage safety...and is only marginally better then Roy in coverage...yet he exposed as much as Roy because he wasn't asked to sit back and play deep half all day....there are definately effective ways to play to his strengths in the 3-4...that is why I used this two examples...I don't think there is much to argue here.
Well, cross you arms and pray a Coordinator can "use Roy better."

OK. This is a short off season under that mind set.

Well, we are done. New D coordinator is all we need to get this D to "dominating status."
Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM    (permalink
CTCowboysFan
Pro Bowler

CTCowboysFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
This is not Major League Baseball. Trades in the NFL are very rare. and we can't trade JJ because he is a free agent anyways I believe.....and if he isn't then he will stay put.

Oh and Thule the interesting thing about you mentioning Keyshawn, there is actually a void in his contract and he can opt out of his deal and leave to free agency. There are rumors he may return to Dallas and TO goes. Not sure I like that or not but I did hear that.
So what do you recommend, sit on your duff?

You don't think that Julius, Burnett or Williams can be traded? Even Keith Davis can be trade I think.

James, I agree, is a piece of crap with no real value.

So let us assume no one is traded ........

I am all for letting Elam fight for the SS position next year. If Archuleta can sit with his contract so can Roy "fat ass" Williams.

I would love to see Watkins get there but what if not?????? Watkins is Option A but I feel Henry is Option B. Safety in a Cover 2 is hard and I am not sure a rookie can play it. In fact CB in Cover 2 (2 Deep) is much easier.

I am all for benching Bradie and trying to move Carpenter or a faster ILB into the mix. Carpenter and Burnett need to start. Bradie and Ellis need to be situational guys. If Donnie Edwards can play ILB at 225 -- why not Burnett at 240. In fact Burnett is as big as most the ILBs in the 3-4. Check out the other guys in SD, NE, etc....
I suggest drafting well and signing free agents at the right price for what they are worth.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my last point...

Well, we are done. New D coordinator is all we need to get this D to "dominating status."
Are you argueing that we don't have the talent on this team to be playing in the superbowl on defense?

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:36 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

You just don't replace 1000 yards because you want to get younger...makes sense in madden but not in real life.
ROTFLMAO. No wonder Jerry is such a horrid GM, he keeps believing folks like you about his "talent."

Sounds like the the GMen fan talking about all the talent on the Giants.

Barber and Thompson plus a 3rd round pick >>>>>>>> JJ + Barber
Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my last point...

As T New said we have players getting "abused" so that may explain why we don't perform to expectations.

Looked to me like Bradie and Roy got abused all day today. Even Deion Neon is saying so and he apologizes for every black player in the NFL.

Fixing personnel mistakes like the ones Jerry made earlier this season are always expensive.

Sorry kiddos. Eyes don't lie.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And my last point...

Are you argueing that we don't have the talent on this team to be playing in the superbowl on defense?
In theory, we have lots of talent.

In reality, we don't have enuff pass rushers and our Safeties and LBers are liabilities in coverage. Roy and Bradie in particular.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:41 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

ROTFLMAO. No wonder Jerry is such a horrid GM, he keeps believing folks like you about his "talent."

Well we would actually still have Thompson...and if you honestly think JJ is worth being replaced from a 3rd round pick...you better hope for some solid contribution because your giving up a 1000+ yards and over 4 ypc...not many of those 3rd round picks contribute that much on their first year.

Designs by me
Quote:
Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Thule, I said BP did make a major BIG PICTURE mistake in the off season.

He put D personnel on the field that is slow in the middle of the field. Particularly the ILB and Safeties.

Keith Davis, Roy Williams, Bradie James and Akin Ayodele are likely the slowest set of ILB and Safeties in the NFL. VERY VERY LIKELY.

In addition, BP's ideas of what ILB need to do are antiquated. You can not expect 250lb ILB to take on 330 lb Guards and win those battles. It ain't 1983 and Guards don't weight 280 lbs.

Do what all 3-4 teams have done. Get ILB that are good in space and get them to use speed to get around 330lb Guards.

Akin really impressed me the last 6 games. I think he is a keeper.

Oppositte Akin, I dunno. Carpenter, Burnett. I dunno.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyway.

Well we would actually still have Thompson...and if you honestly think JJ is worth being replaced from a 3rd round pick...you better hope for some solid contribution because your giving up a 1000+ yards and over 4 ypc...not many of those 3rd round picks contribute that much on their first year.
Thule, Barber needs to gain 15 pounds and if you use him 15-25 carries per game you will get what you want.

Thompson has great speed and you can use him for the other carries.

Booker is more NFL ready than Moss but that is b/c he is fast and can catch the ball.

Amateur GM right now. Not Jerry. Neither are you. Only hope my screams of mercy reach someone ear and maybe adjust some opinions.