Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-13-2011, 02:33 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I went back and watched the game again, and I often do this. You'll be surprised at how many of your assumptions about the game were wrong when you go back and watch it again. After watching the game in more detail thanks to DVR, and studying a couple of plays in general, I have to stand up for Rob Ryan here.

Now I know I've said many times this season that I feel Rob is an overrated coordinator, and I stand by that, but he's also not as bad as I thought he was. The truth is, you guys just need more talent on defense. You don't have a lot of talent on defense.

Rob did an incredible job of disguising coverages on Sunday. A lot of times, you guys would sell 1 hot read, and at the snap totally reroute your coverages and blitzes and really force the qb to think on his feet. More often than not, there wasn't a prensnap read you can accurately assume will be open.

I know the Giants offense pretty well, and I'm pretty good at reading defenses pre-snap. One of my favorite parts of watching football games is reading the defense presnap and seeing who should be open based on the formations of the offense and defense etc. With Giant games, more often than not I'm on the money bc I know the team's playbook (superficially at least).

Against Rob's defense, I probably only figured out 3 to 4 prensnap reads the whole game. I'm usually good for abo9ut 20. To put this into context, Perry Fewell's defense was so predictable, I accurately knew what the defensive playcall was presnap on roughly 95% percent of the game. In fact, to be more specific, there were only 3 plays where I didn't read the defense probably before the snap. It was that vanilla.

I though it was 4, the 4th being the long pass that Robinson caught on Prince, but I was actually right on that coverage. I read Cover 2, and after Prince chased him in man I thought perhaps I read it wrong, that they lined up in Cover 2 zone and switched to a man coverage after reading their keys (the Giants do this often, start out in a zone that changes to man). But Prince confirmed after the game that it was a Cover 2 zone, he saw the safety bite on something else and broke off his zone to chase Robinson to prevent a wide open touchdown on busted coverage.

But anyway, I'm getting off track. What I'm trying to say is, the gameplan was actually pretty good. It wasn't an easy defense to figure out. Eli just had one hell of a game, that's all. Look at some of his throws, he hit guys who he had no business throwing to. A lot of those catches were covered as well as you can cover em, but Eli made a sick throw that was almost indefensible.

When a qb in the zone like that, you can't do anything about it. And your secondary just isn't very good. In fact, your whole defense lacks talent outside of ILB and Ware.

I read earlier in this thread that Ware disappeared in this game. I couldn't disagree more. Yes, he had 2 boneheaded mistakes, but the guy was disruptive all night. He had 6 qb pressures, we dobuled him and slid protection to him all night, he dictated the gameplan on offense. If you watch the game again, you'll see how much Eli had to either throw off his backfoot or move the pocket to make his throws.

He was not comfortable in the pocket. Ware was the main reason for that.

Rob's main problem is the hurry up offense. He goes very basic vs the no huddle. That's why you guys blow so many 4th quarter games. Is that really all on him though? It could be your defense doesn't have that field general to line guys up vs the hurry up. Often times vs the hurry up, the MIKE really has to make a lot of adjustments. For argument sake, let's put this on Rob anyway.

Even with that, the guy is doing a good job with the talent you have. There just isn't as much talent on that defense as you want to believe.
Another gem towards BBD's HOF induction on this forum.

But but... wait BBD! Per coldhardfootballfacts, it's all Rob's fault!

I said it before and I'll say it again. Rob is working miracles with the defensive personnel he has to work with. I'd make him HC today if I had the power. He knows how to shoulder the blame, he knows how to motivate his players and he knows how to both rally the troops and keep everyone accountable at the same time.

Garrett is a coward stick figure coach who is robotic and worst of all... thinks he's always right.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post

I said it before and I'll say it again. Rob is working miracles with the defensive personnel he has to work with. I'd make him HC today if I had the power. He knows how to shoulder the blame, he knows how to motivate his players and he knows how to both rally the troops and keep everyone accountable at the same time.

Garrett is a coward stick figure coach who is robotic and worst of all... thinks he's always right.
You're delusional, D.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Shoulder the blame? Didn't he NOT talk to the media. If you are going to rant and rave like his brother does, then have the balls to talk to the media as well. I was on the Dallas newspaper site, and they said he refused to talk to the media.

I heard an interview earlier in the week saying that he got outcoached once, and that was the Eagles game. Well, this past sunday, was twice. Making him a HC would be brutal, and I highly doubt he gets it especially if his defense is getting torn apart. Same with Perry Fewell, no one will hire him if his defense or side of the ball is a mess.

As for Jason G, I will have to ask our common friend, what's the word behind the scenes. If they clear house, then that means everyone goes including John and Judd as well.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Shoulder the blame? Didn't he NOT talk to the media. If you are going to rant and rave like his brother does, then have the balls to talk to the media as well. I was on the Dallas newspaper site, and they said he refused to talk to the media.

I heard an interview earlier in the week saying that he got outcoached once, and that was the Eagles game. Well, this past sunday, was twice. Making him a HC would be brutal, and I highly doubt he gets it especially if his defense is getting torn apart. Same with Perry Fewell, no one will hire him if his defense or side of the ball is a mess.

As for Jason G, I will have to ask our common friend, what's the word behind the scenes. If they clear house, then that means everyone goes including John and Judd as well.
This is a good point. Ryan is such a bad ass, he decided he didn't want to talk to the mean old media on Sunday night. To me, he's starting to look like a punk bully. He'll talk a big game, but when it's time to face the music, he ducks. You can't do that when you are a HC.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Calm down there guy lol. I'm still not the biggest Ryan fan out there. I've said in the past that Ryan was a downgrade from Wade, and I think this season easily proves that.

Rob didn't call a bad game, but he's still no Wade Phillips, or Dick LeBeau, or Steve Spagnuolo etc. He has that kind of rep, but it's undeserved.

The truth is, the talent in Dallas just isn't very good on the defensive side of the ball, and for that reason, along with some good disguises, I defend Rob. He's not as bad as I thought he was. He's a solid DC, but he's not a great one either.

I wouldn't kill Garrett either for Sunday. You put up 34 points.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I went back and watched the game again, and I often do this. You'll be surprised at how many of your assumptions about the game were wrong when you go back and watch it again. After watching the game in more detail thanks to DVR, and studying a couple of plays in general, I have to stand up for Rob Ryan here.

Now I know I've said many times this season that I feel Rob is an overrated coordinator, and I stand by that, but he's also not as bad as I thought he was. The truth is, you guys just need more talent on defense. You don't have a lot of talent on defense.

Rob did an incredible job of disguising coverages on Sunday. A lot of times, you guys would sell 1 hot read, and at the snap totally reroute your coverages and blitzes and really force the qb to think on his feet. More often than not, there wasn't a prensnap read you can accurately assume will be open.

I know the Giants offense pretty well, and I'm pretty good at reading defenses pre-snap. One of my favorite parts of watching football games is reading the defense presnap and seeing who should be open based on the formations of the offense and defense etc. With Giant games, more often than not I'm on the money bc I know the team's playbook (superficially at least).

Against Rob's defense, I probably only figured out 3 to 4 prensnap reads the whole game. I'm usually good for abo9ut 20. To put this into context, Perry Fewell's defense was so predictable, I accurately knew what the defensive playcall was presnap on roughly 95% percent of the game. In fact, to be more specific, there were only 3 plays where I didn't read the defense probably before the snap. It was that vanilla.

I though it was 4, the 4th being the long pass that Robinson caught on Prince, but I was actually right on that coverage. I read Cover 2, and after Prince chased him in man I thought perhaps I read it wrong, that they lined up in Cover 2 zone and switched to a man coverage after reading their keys (the Giants do this often, start out in a zone that changes to man). But Prince confirmed after the game that it was a Cover 2 zone, he saw the safety bite on something else and broke off his zone to chase Robinson to prevent a wide open touchdown on busted coverage.

But anyway, I'm getting off track. What I'm trying to say is, the gameplan was actually pretty good. It wasn't an easy defense to figure out. Eli just had one hell of a game, that's all. Look at some of his throws, he hit guys who he had no business throwing to. A lot of those catches were covered as well as you can cover em, but Eli made a sick throw that was almost indefensible.

When a qb in the zone like that, you can't do anything about it. And your secondary just isn't very good. In fact, your whole defense lacks talent outside of ILB and Ware.

I read earlier in this thread that Ware disappeared in this game. I couldn't disagree more. Yes, he had 2 boneheaded mistakes, but the guy was disruptive all night. He had 6 qb pressures, we dobuled him and slid protection to him all night, he dictated the gameplan on offense. If you watch the game again, you'll see how much Eli had to either throw off his backfoot or move the pocket to make his throws.

He was not comfortable in the pocket. Ware was the main reason for that.

Rob's main problem is the hurry up offense. He goes very basic vs the no huddle. That's why you guys blow so many 4th quarter games. Is that really all on him though? It could be your defense doesn't have that field general to line guys up vs the hurry up. Often times vs the hurry up, the MIKE really has to make a lot of adjustments. For argument sake, let's put this on Rob anyway.

Even with that, the guy is doing a good job with the talent you have. There just isn't as much talent on that defense as you want to believe.
BBD, who in your opinion needs to be improved upon talent wise besides the obvious players of Newman, Brooking, Bradie James, etc.?
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
BBD, who in your opinion needs to be improved upon talent wise besides the obvious players of Newman, Brooking, Bradie James, etc.?
Depends. It really depends on the scheme you'll run moving forward. For arguments sake, let's say you have another year of Rob Ryan:

You need to upgrade DE and NT. Ratliff is having a down year bc hes really a UT in a 4-3 defense, not a NT in a 3-4, or even a DE in a more traditional 34 front that Rob employs.

You desperately need a guy opposite Ware at OLB. Butler is a nice rotational guy. Spencer is the definition of average. You need another stud pass rusher on the outside. Butler can come in on obvious passing downs and give you 3 pass rushers on the field. But he's not good enough to be a starter. Well, you can try to put him there, but why? I like him in a situational role. Get a true stud opposite Ware.

Lee is a keeper. For arguments sake, let's assume Carter solidifies the other ILB spot even though we don't know that yet.

So that leaves the secondary. I for 1, am not a fan of really anyone in your secondary. Newman is washed up, Jenkins is nothing more than an above average #2 CB, and Scandrick is a solid nickel CB, but again, nothing to drool over.

And your safeties are the definition of mediocre. I don't get why Sensy got a contract. That was a mistake. You basically need a lot of secondary help, and a pass rusher and another body on the dline.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Are you suggesting the core blame go to Rob? Just asking.
I'm simply pointing out a stat. Take with it what you will. As much as Romo/Garrett(as an OC) get flack here, they've done a great job at getting the offense into a position to win ball games.

I'm a Rob Ryan fan...and don't think he has the tools necessary to have a successful defense, I just think you in particular(and others as well), are off base trying to attribute this teams failures to one person or another. The whole damn team tends to **** up when it matters most.

The problem folks are having with Ryan is that he's talked the most out of any of the coaches in Dallas, and for some reason you cannot find fault in anything he does because you don't think he has the talent....It's just weird, to tell you the truth.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 12-13-2011 at 05:06 PM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I wasn't referencing this game in particular. I'm talking about how he has been so far this season. He's taken A LOT of blame for the way the defense has played this year. ...and you know what? If you agree with what BBD posted (and I do), then maybe he's simply not willing to take the blame for this loss because really, the onus is on the players and their incapbility to execute the plan.

Walking away is a helluva lot better than being Jason "I wouldn't have changed things even if I had another chance" Garrett.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
This is a good point. Ryan is such a bad ass, he decided he didn't want to talk to the mean old media on Sunday night. To me, he's starting to look like a punk bully. He'll talk a big game, but when it's time to face the music, he ducks. You can't do that when you are a HC.
So when Rob said Eli was an elite QB prior to the game, you guys just took that as smack talk, right?

If you're gonna bash, at least get the facts straight. Geez.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wasn't referencing this game in particular. I'm talking about how he has been so far this season. He's taken A LOT of blame for the way the defense has played this year. ...and you know what? If you agree with what BBD posted (and I do), then maybe he's simply not willing to take the blame for this loss because really, the onus is on the players and their incapbility to execute the plan.

Walking away is a helluva lot better than being Jason "I wouldn't have changed things even if I had another chance" Garrett.
Maybe the plan wasn't as sound as Ryan thinks. Maybe our WRs match up well, from our perspective against your secondary, so probably not the smartest idea to throw the kitchen sink at our offense. Ryan is like the Rex, both have egos, both aren't afraid to talk smack or say something that might get attention.

But if you are going to be like that, which is my general point, then don't duck the media. That's BS in my opinion. Good or bad, face the media. I'd have more respect for you as a person that way. At least you can say, the guy talks a lot but good or bad he is going to still take his lumps.

And I like that aggressive scheme. Much better than give Romo 9 hours to throw the ball and find people. I re watched that game, and our pass protection stunk. Eli was pressure all game, and he had to move around, and make things happen. Good for him in making plays like that. Every snap was an adventure too! But we barely blitzed. We even ran that non sense 3 man rush, and drop 8 BS.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
I'm simply pointing out a stat. Take with it what you will. As much as Romo/Garrett(as an OC) get flack here, they've done a great job at getting the offense into a position to win ball games.

I'm a Rob Ryan fan...and don't think he has the tools necessary to have a successful defense, I just think you in particular(and others as well), are off base trying to attribute this teams failures to one person or another. The whole damn team tends to **** up when it matters most.

The problem folks are having with Ryan is that he's talked the most out of any of the coaches in Dallas, and for some reason you cannot find fault in anything he does because you don't think he has the talent....It's just weird, to tell you the truth.
That's weird? The guy who's been on the job less than a year, who got very little help in the offseason from a Defense that was absolutely PATHETIC last year should bear the blunt of the blame?

Excuse me for stepping in to defend him, but it's totally unwarranted!

Nobody is perfect in this business and I'm not saying he can't improve. But when I hear guys blame him for the play of our defense, it's ridiculous.

I don't care how much points the offense put up. It's a quick strike offense that can't run out the clock to end games! We lose because WE CAN'T RUN OUT THE CLOCK! If our offense was so good, then our defense shouldn't even be put in those kinds of situations at the end of games! Garrett calls a ridiculous series, fails to do his job and puts all the pressure back on the defense before they even have a chance to catch their breath!

That stupid pass to Austin... throw that play outta the book!!! The degree of difficulty on completing that was so extreme, it was bogus to even call it!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Maybe the plan wasn't as sound as Ryan thinks. Maybe our WRs match up well, from our perspective against your secondary, so probably not the smartest idea to throw the kitchen sink at our offense. Ryan is like the Rex, both have egos, both aren't afraid to talk smack or say something that might get attention.

But if you are going to be like that, which is my general point, then don't duck the media. That's BS in my opinion. Good or bad, face the media. I'd have more respect for you as a person that way. At least you can say, the guy talks a lot but good or bad he is going to still take his lumps.

And I like that aggressive scheme. Much better than give Romo 9 hours to throw the ball and find people. I re watched that game, and our pass protection stunk. Eli was pressure all game, and he had to move around, and make things happen. Good for him in making plays like that. Every snap was an adventure too! But we barely blitzed. We even ran that non sense 3 man rush, and drop 8 BS.
Nah. Our secondary is so bad, we get more use out of them by sending them in to blitz more than the value we get out of leaving them out in coverage assignments.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Nah. Our secondary is so bad, we get more use out of them by sending them in to blitz more than the value we get out of leaving them out in coverage assignments.
Perhaps you tell Fewell that theory of defending.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's weird? The guy who's been on the job less than a year, who got very little help in the offseason from a Defense that was absolutely PATHETIC last year should bear the blunt of the blame?
You completely ignored my post about Wade turning the defense around in houston in the same time frame. Because....it doesn't help your point.

I pointed it out a few pages back and you completely ignored it.
I'm not saying Rob has a lot of tools in the shed, and the ones he does have aren't exactly the sharpest...but you're so one-sided in your opinions. It's never the fault of the defense...12 point lead, 5 minutes left? Not good enough...blame the offense....20 point lead....6 minutes left...blame the offense...they have better players on that side of the ball.

I'm just saying that you're absolving Rex completely, and placing the blame on Garrett & Romo...That's a flawed way of looking at things, and by folks pointing out the defense has quite a bit of fault in these losses...it's "blaming the defense"...no, they're doing the exact same thing you're doing and defending, it's just defending the side of the ball that's shown them the most.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No, its not.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Look, I know we don't the the personnel to be a top 5 defense, but giving up leads in the 4th quarter in virtually every loss this year points to something beyond one or two players.

-Douglas MacArthur
Old 12-13-2011, 06:16 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe we shouldn't run such a complicated defense when our defense has below average players? Maybe we should dumb down our defense a bit so we won't be confusing our secondary? I just noticed this, but Elam didn't play in the Giants game.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
You completely ignored my post about Wade turning the defense around in houston in the same time frame. Because....it doesn't help your point.

I pointed it out a few pages back and you completely ignored it.
I'm not saying Rob has a lot of tools in the shed, and the ones he does have aren't exactly the sharpest...but you're so one-sided in your opinions. It's never the fault of the defense...12 point lead, 5 minutes left? Not good enough...blame the offense....20 point lead....6 minutes left...blame the offense...they have better players on that side of the ball.

I'm just saying that you're absolving Rex completely, and placing the blame on Garrett & Romo...That's a flawed way of looking at things, and by folks pointing out the defense has quite a bit of fault in these losses...it's "blaming the defense"...no, they're doing the exact same thing you're doing and defending, it's just defending the side of the ball that's shown them the most.
OK, if you ever think I ignored a post just tell me. I certainly didn't pick that up, so I wasn't avoiding any discussion. But if you want to talk about Wade's job there, I can certainly point to reasons for Houston's turn around on defense other than his scheme. Before I start I do want to say that I have nothing but good thoughts about Wade as a DC. He's a great one. I'm not gonna sit here and say Rob is better or worse. However, Wade was never a good HC and he simply doesn't have the make up for it. That's where I think Rob has the advantage. But that's not what you wanted to talk about.

Let's talk about Houston's turnaround. Houston spend their first round pick on JJ Watt. Right off the bat, that's a huge addition right there. Equally as important to our pick of Tyron Smith. They however, used their pick on defense. The next 4 picks for the Texans were again... all spent on defense. They drafted OLB Brooks Reed in Round 2 and then traded up again in Round 2 for Brandon Harris (I guy I was very high on). 6 out of the 8 Texans draft picks were spent on defensive players! Next they followed that up by adding S Daniel Manning and one of the top CBs in FA in Johnathan Joseph!

What the Texans did in the offseason to improve their defense was nothing short of incredible. ...and before you start to pour credit on Wade for all that jazz, also remember that the Texans were the 30th ranked defense last year.

Rob Ryan inherited a battered up defense and threw him a bone in the draft and FA with expectations to turn things around. I'm not gonna blame a new DC in year 1 under those circumstances and then compare him to Wade and the Texans! If the Cowboys approach 2012 the way the Texans did, I guarantee a better defense next year! 1 + 1 = 2. 1 + 0 <> 2.

Garrett has been here since 2007 and he used most of our resources to reshape the offense... yet 4 years later, here we are... he still makes the same mental errors in questionable playcalling, still struggles in the redzone, still has problems with game clock management and the only thing he does good at is passing, which he has always been good at. So where's the improvement? He talks about Accountability, but excludes himself of that. We're all here clamoring for a new OC right??? There are reasons for that and maybe it's that you don't like the tone and passion for my dislike in Garrett. If that's the case then ok... but it doesn't make my reasoning delusional.

I'm absolving my blame on Rob for now because it's simply way too early and the justification for doing so is simply not there. There is a significant problem in the talent that we are fielding. I can't say the same for the offense where Garrett has both time and talent on his side.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
No, its not.
Rob Ryan is not the HC of this team. He doesn't owe the same owning up to the media that Garrett has. Only in Dallas is a DC as chased down as he is. Look around the league... this doesn't happen to any other DC, so don't make like he has to face the music like a HC needs to. Geemaneez.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Look, I know we don't the the personnel to be a top 5 defense, but giving up leads in the 4th quarter in virtually every loss this year points to something beyond one or two players.
Wait a minute there... it's never just 1 or 2 players. It's definitely the team, but when you need to start to fix things, you need to start somewhere.

Romo's terrible INT to Revis and the blocked punt on STs cost us the Jets game. Romo's late game carelessness lost the Detroit game. We all know holding Tom Brady and that Pats to 13 points until the last 20 seconds was a great job by Rob and the D in that game. The offense was stuck in 1st gear all game. Arizona's lost is clearly on Garrett's piss poor timeout blunder. You can point the defense in the Philly and Giants losses, but it's like we avoiding the obvious... the D really does suck. ...and it ain't the coordinator at main fault.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Depends. It really depends on the scheme you'll run moving forward. For arguments sake, let's say you have another year of Rob Ryan:

You need to upgrade DE and NT. Ratliff is having a down year bc hes really a UT in a 4-3 defense, not a NT in a 3-4, or even a DE in a more traditional 34 front that Rob employs.

You desperately need a guy opposite Ware at OLB. Butler is a nice rotational guy. Spencer is the definition of average. You need another stud pass rusher on the outside. Butler can come in on obvious passing downs and give you 3 pass rushers on the field. But he's not good enough to be a starter. Well, you can try to put him there, but why? I like him in a situational role. Get a true stud opposite Ware.

Lee is a keeper. For arguments sake, let's assume Carter solidifies the other ILB spot even though we don't know that yet.

So that leaves the secondary. I for 1, am not a fan of really anyone in your secondary. Newman is washed up, Jenkins is nothing more than an above average #2 CB, and Scandrick is a solid nickel CB, but again, nothing to drool over.

And your safeties are the definition of mediocre. I don't get why Sensy got a contract. That was a mistake. You basically need a lot of secondary help, and a pass rusher and another body on the dline.
I agree on pretty much everything except Jenkins being only an above average number #2 CB. When he is healthy and playing with confidence, I think he is pretty damn good. He was the only one who wasn't Eli's ***** the other night. I don't remember him giving up a significant catch.

For our defense's sake, Bruce Carter must pan out. If he doesn't thats another setback for our D.

Overall though I completely agree. I get a stud interior OL in FA, and then draft heavy on defense.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:

Excuse me for stepping in to defend him, but it's totally unwarranted!

Nobody is perfect in this business and I'm not saying he can't improve. But when I hear guys blame him for the play of our defense, it's ridiculous.

I don't care how much points the offense put up. It's a quick strike offense that can't run out the clock to end games! We lose because WE CAN'T RUN OUT THE CLOCK! If our offense was so good, then our defense shouldn't even be put in those kinds of situations at the end of games! Garrett calls a ridiculous series, fails to do his job and puts all the pressure back on the defense before they even have a chance to catch their breath!

That stupid pass to Austin... throw that play outta the book!!! The degree of difficulty on completing that was so extreme, it was bogus to even call it!
The sad this is that Robinson and Witten both burned their man for an easy 1st down underneath, ball game over.

It's amazing how our team just screws up every situation. I'll say again, we are cursed. You can't explain these things. That's three blown 4th quarters leads of 10+, in pathetic fashion. If you lose on a hail mary then call it what it is, but the way we lose is just divine intervention. There's no other ay around it.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

Quote:
OK, if you ever think I ignored a post just tell me. I certainly didn't pick that up, so I wasn't avoiding any discussion. But if you want to talk about Wade's job there, I can certainly point to reasons for Houston's turn around on defense other than his scheme. Before I start I do want to say that I have nothing but good thoughts about Wade as a DC. He's a great one. I'm not gonna sit here and say Rob is better or worse. However, Wade was never a good HC and he simply doesn't have the make up for it. That's where I think Rob has the advantage. But that's not what you wanted to talk about.
Right...We'll agree on Wade, he's one of the best DC's in the game...just not a HC.

Quote:
Let's talk about Houston's turnaround. Houston spend their first round pick on JJ Watt. Right off the bat, that's a huge addition right there. Equally as important to our pick of Tyron Smith. They however, used their pick on defense. The next 4 picks for the Texans were again... all spent on defense. They drafted OLB Brooks Reed in Round 2 and then traded up again in Round 2 for Brandon Harris (I guy I was very high on). 6 out of the 8 Texans draft picks were spent on defensive players! Next they followed that up by adding S Daniel Manning and one of the top CBs in FA in Johnathan Joseph!

What the Texans did in the offseason to improve their defense was nothing short of incredible. ...and before you start to pour credit on Wade for all that jazz, also remember that the Texans were the 30th ranked defense last year.

Rob Ryan inherited a battered up defense and threw him a bone in the draft and FA with expectations to turn things around. I'm not gonna blame a new DC in year 1 under those circumstances and then compare him to Wade and the Texans! If the Cowboys approach 2012 the way the Texans did, I guarantee a better defense next year! 1 + 1 = 2. 1 + 0 <> 2.
Houston did a hell of a job with their defense...but they had the luxury to do that. They've got one of the best lines in football, the best RB(as of last year, statistically)....One of the top 5 WR's. There were really no needs for them offensively. Will you agree with that?

Quote:
Garrett has been here since 2007 and he used most of our resources to reshape the offense... yet 4 years later, here we are... he still makes the same mental errors in questionable playcalling, still struggles in the redzone, still has problems with game clock management and the only thing he does good at is passing, which he has always been good at. So where's the improvement? He talks about Accountability, but excludes himself of that. We're all here clamoring for a new OC right??? There are reasons for that and maybe it's that you don't like the tone and passion for my dislike in Garrett. If that's the case then ok... but it doesn't make my reasoning delusional.
This is where you come off delusional, or scorned, or simply...a Garrett "hater"(I hate using that word, btw). If you don't think he's the head coach of the future, fine...but the flaw in your logic is allowing Rob Ryan the time to grow, and not JG. They went heavy on offense(not as heavy as they should've) because there were NEEDS there...The OL was godawful(and the interior still is), our RB's were fragile and mediocre, and our WR depth was seriously lacking(up until L.Robinson was signed). These were absolutely necessary...and you've seen what can be accomplished with decent blocking and a run game(Example: the games Demarco broke loose). The team has numerous weaknesses....moreso on defense, but there's enough on the offense/OL that we're not able to see JG's true vision of the offense. Yet and still it's a top 10 offense every year. He's been a HC for a single season, one draft...Wade was responsible for bringing in quite a few defensive players...most of them busts or average at best. Give JG the same opportunity...

Are there better HC's in the game right now than JG? hands down...yes. I just think his supporters are able to see(or hope) the glimpses of him being a great coach, whereas you've completely dismissed him and pointed out every mistake. Yet when posters' do the same with Rob Ryan, it's..."Well the talent isn't there, he didn't have an offseason, Jerry through him a few bones".

On the flipside, you jokingly...or seriously have alluded to getting rid of Romo and Garrett, as they're the causes for these losses....You don't understand how that's "Delusional"? How one side of the ball gets ALL of the blame, despite the other side of the ball continuously failing? Very one sided...that's all everyone is saying.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 12-13-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

double post...but I'll use this to say that Jerry gave JG the vote of confidence, so I don't see him going anywhere anytime soon.